+Enmity on a BLM? WTF?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• +Enmity on a BLM? WTF?

Okay, I have noriced a very disturbing trend on Ramuh in early levels, and I wanted feedback from you guys.

Is +1 int really worth +2 enmity?

I've been playing BLM lately (almost to 25), and I think my gear is pretty good. Right now, I have +17 int with food. I have my pilgrim's wand for resting and some garrison gear, as well as baron's saio (the coat).

Mage's Cloak (+2) and Baron's Saio + Sages Circlet (+2) have almost as much INT as Baron's Chappeau + Baron's Saio (+3), and by 29, with Seer's, you get a higher amount of INT (+4 total) anyways.

So, why is it that I've seen so many BLM's with Baron's Chappeau? I mean, I get hate with my first two elemental debuffs + blind. Tanks at this level not only have fewer tools to keep hate, but they're new at it. I had one whole PT (with a NIN tank nonetheless!) where I took hate less than 5 times in an hour.

Is this a new gilbuyer's trend, to just get the newest thing with white border available?
    BLM75 RNG65 BRD50 NIN37 RDM37 WHM25 WAR25 BST21 THF7
    Cooking83
    Elemental Magic Skill Merits 1/5

Thanks to Kazuki for the awesome sig!

Re: +Enmity on a BLM? WTF?

It's not a new trend. People (even the ones that earn their gil; shocking how you can be uninformed and not a gil-buyer at the same time, huh?) have been buying that stuff as a complete set basically as long as it's been out. It's the mini-pimp-hat, and it's HQ, so it must be good, right?

If you're pulling hate with three debuffs, though, great googly moogly. You must be blinding those mobs old school.
    Ellipses on Fenrir
    There is no rush. If you're not willing to take your time, don't be surprised when no one wants to give you much of theirs.
    . . .

Comment

Originally posted by Ellipses
      If you're pulling hate with three debuffs, though, great googly moogly. You must be blinding those mobs old school.
      No, the tanks just don't seem to have anything in order. Level 10-17 gear, no voke every 30 sec.... >.<

And there's a big problem with gil and account buying on Ramuh (and prolly other servers)... Really big. I've never seen so many people who just know nothing about thier jobs. Even 60+... >.<

The other day, we had a whm who wore this same hat, dia'd the wrong mob twice, etc... Noobi-ness just doesn't explain how a person who is rank 2 and knows nothing about the game affords an entire set of what is right now 150-200k per piece armor. And astrals. -.-; I know the dif between the clueless and the inexorbitantly outfitted AND clueless. And trust me, most of these are the latter.
      Cooking83

Comment

Well, fair enough. But just buying headgear that's not very good isn't enough to claim gil-buyer-eyness. I've seen several mages who were otherwise cool and still had that hat. As part of a list of symptoms, okay.
        Ellipses on Fenrir
        There is no rush. If you're not willing to take your time, don't be surprised when no one wants to give you much of theirs.
        . . .

Comment

Elipses: Well, I've seen RDM with the hat, and that's okay, because they don't generally take hate in a PT anyhow. But not only is it just stupid to add to your enm unneccessarily, but when you see someone with all +1 gear and astrals as a rank 2, what other conclusions are there? especially when they know diddly-squat about the game. ("How do u pull wit no bow lolz?" "I won't b/u heal, I'm a rdm! I melee" -.-;;;)
          Cooking83

Comment

Originally posted by greydaze
            No, it's not. Simple as that. +Enmity is the LAST thing BLMs would want at any level, but especially at the level that hat is available. People think it looks cool, though, and it does, to be honest. But for god's sake, take it off when you get to camp.

IMHO, Sage's Circlet with the Baron's body (if you can afford it) is the best choice until Seer's. Otherwise, Black or Mage's tunic ftw.

BTW, just found this site, so hello to everyone!
            Last edited by Orinoco; 06-09-2006, 06:47 AM.

Comment

During my short-lived static the blm picked that piece up because it had the most int. I poked him about it but he seemed to think that he was good enough to keep under the hate line even with the extra enmity and I was good enough of a tank to deal with it. For the most part he was right, but I still think he could have done more damage each fight if he had less int and less enmity. Your statement about tanks at that level is a good point. Definately a stupid choice for pickup parties.

Welcome to the site Orinoco. ^^
              lagolakshmi on Guildwork :: Lago Aletheia on Lodestone

Comment

Originally posted by greydaze
                Okay, I have noriced a very disturbing trend on Ramuh in early levels, and I wanted feedback from you guys.

I've been playing BLM lately (almost to 25), and I think my gear is pretty good. Right now, I have +17 int with food. I have my pilgrim's wand for resting and some garrison gear, as well as baron's saio (the coat).

Mage's Cloak (+2) and Baron's Saio + Sages Circlet (+2) have almost as much INT as Baron's Chappeau + Baron's Saio (+3), and by 29, with Seer's, you get a higher amount of INT (+4 total) anyways.

So, why is it that I've seen so many BLM's with Baron's Chappeau? I mean, I get hate with my first two elemental debuffs + blind. Tanks at this level not only have fewer tools to keep hate, but they're new at it. I had one whole PT (with a NIN tank nonetheless!) where I took hate less than 5 times in an hour.

Is this a new gilbuyer's trend, to just get the newest thing with white border available?
                When my BLM was at lvl 20-29, Baron's Chapeau hadn't been added to the game yet. But even if it had, I wouldn't have bought it. BLM already has problems with hate, and adding to it is only going to get you killed more. On the other hand, as a Galka or Elvaan BLM it might be worth the risk to pad your INT since you're a bit beefier than the other races and can handle the beats easier.

(This is actually a lesson I learned from years of playing Magic: The Gathering competitively. Sometimes, sacrificing certain abilities to give you a bigger advantage on one particular front can make a huge difference.)
                Last edited by Olorin401; 06-09-2006, 08:36 AM.
                Host of irc.gamesurge.net #FF14 - TheAfterLife XI & XIV LS
                Olorin (Ramuh): BLM75 BRD78 WHM75 RDM75
                Olorin Branwen (Melmond): Lv12 LNC9 CON7 THM6 MNR6 ALC4

Comment

I used on on my BLM from 20-29, and had no problems managing my hate. I MB'd every time, and didn't just chain-nuke. I worried at first that the extra enmity would be a problem, but I felt that the extra INT was worth at least taking a risk for.

If I'd consistently pulled hate, I would have resold it in a second, but I didn't, so I wasn't too worried.

Also, I definitely didn't buy it for looks. I think that gear is ugly as sin. Less so on Taru, but on everyone else it's very unflattering.

Comment

The best way to avoid + enmity is to stay away from barons gear. Barons gear was meant for rdms, not blms. All of the new players are wearing it because "It has intelligence! It has to be goodz!!" but the + enmity is not wanted (they probably don't know that it makes you more prone to gaining hate) so stay away from it.

All I did was stick with my black cloak and knowledge earrings and when I hit 29, I purchased seers gear. As lng as the tank is doing his job, no worries for me.
                    ~~~BLM SAM RNG NIN PLD~~~

Comment

Well, to be fair, it's only the hat that adds enmity. The rest of the set isn't bad (although I prefer Garrison Gloves and Feet for BLM).

Comment

Originally posted by Aelathir
                        Well, to be fair, it's only the hat that adds enmity. The rest of the set isn't bad (although I prefer Garrison Gloves and Feet for BLM).
                        Don't be so sure, there could be a hidden enmity attribute that contributes to the entire set. Not exactly sure though.
                        ~~~BLM SAM RNG NIN PLD~~~

Comment

I've seriously never had any problem pulling hate with it on. But then again, I wear Garrison Gloves and Feet, as I said. So maybe that's it.

I've not heard of any hidden enmity+ traits on it. Anyone else?

Comment

That sounds a little paranoid. I've never heard anything of the sort. There could just as easily be a hidden -Enmity or Resist Silence or something. Oh! Or what if the Holy Phial secretly makes Elshimo Marble never drop? I'd better sell mine and go back to a Justice Badge. Unless that has some hidden effect. What am I gonna dooooo?

The rest of the Baron's gear has decent stats. It's nice if you're leveling multiple mage jobs concurrently and have inventory issues or something.
                            Ellipses on Fenrir
                            . . .

Comment

Originally posted by Ellipses
                              That sounds a little paranoid. I've never heard anything of the sort. There could just as easily be a hidden -Enmity or Resist Silence or something. Oh! Or what if the Holy Phial secretly makes Elshimo Marble never drop? I'd better sell mine and go back to a Justice Badge. Unless that has some hidden effect. What am I gonna dooooo?

The rest of the Baron's gear has decent stats. It's nice if you're leveling multiple mage jobs concurrently and have inventory issues or something.
                              Exactly.

I try and level mage jobs somewhat concurrently so that I don't have to keep pulling gear out of storage and then putting it back again. The pants are useful for HMP, and the body isn't bad either. Heck, I even like the hat, even though it's ugly.

Comment

Working...
                              X