+Enmity on a BLM? WTF?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: +Enmity on a BLM? WTF?

Levelling BLM (19), WHM (29) and RDM (34) - I use a mixture of Baron's, RSE, and random stuff, but pretty much use the same equipment for each job (or will do when I get BLM to 20). WHM gets the MND set from RDM and BLM gets the INT set.

Still don't use Baron's Chapeau though, just an old fashioned hairpin. If I'm that desperate for the +1 INT, I'll use an Erudite's Headband.
    I have heard that those who celebrate life
    walk safely amongst the wild animals.
    When they go into battle, they remain unharmed,
    the animals find no place to attack them
    and weapons are unable to harm them.
    Why? Because they find no place for death in them.

Comment

Originally posted by Ellipses
      That sounds a little paranoid. I've never heard anything of the sort. There could just as easily be a hidden -Enmity or Resist Silence or something. Oh! Or what if the Holy Phial secretly makes Elshimo Marble never drop? I'd better sell mine and go back to a Justice Badge. Unless that has some hidden effect. What am I gonna dooooo?

The rest of the Baron's gear has decent stats. It's nice if you're leveling multiple mage jobs concurrently and have inventory issues or something.
      hehe, I guess I'm acting a tad paranoid when it comes to that. Better stated, stay away from the hat, but the rest of the gear is decent.
      ~~~BLM SAM RNG NIN PLD~~~

Comment

+Eminity = KO'd BLM simple as that. We already have to learn to walk the hate line, which is a very very thin line. If we so much as put a toe over the line we get beat on, and some times die from it.

BLM's who +Eminity gear like to be suicidal I guess. God knows I look for what -Eminity gear I can find. since I have boosted my thunder potency.
        BLM 75
        DRK 75
        WAR 75
        SCH 75
        THF 73
        BST51
        PLD 46
        WHM 42
        RDM 38
        SAM 37
        NIN 37
        MNK 27
        BLU 7 (who knows)
        PUP 5 (staying right where it is)
        DRG 27
        SMN 12 (SMN75 oneday)
        BRD 14 (no intrest as of yet)
        RNG 5 (gil sink no thanks)
        SAM 37
        Beating up Gigas one at a time for their lunch money!
        Retribution: O Spiral Hell: O Ground Strike: O Savage Blade: O Black Halo: O Evisceration: O Decimation: O Steel Cyclone: O

Comment

I didn't realize so many people were having trouble managing their hate with the Baron Chapeau on. Seriously, I never pulled hate with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Aelathir
            I didn't realize so many people were having trouble managing their hate with the Baron Chapeau on. Seriously, I never pulled hate with it.
            It isn't so much a problem WE have managing hate as it is the tanks... <.<; I don't use the hat, but even three debuffs pulls hate off the "tank."
            BLM75 RNG65 BRD50 NIN37 RDM37 WHM25 WAR25 BST21 THF7
            Cooking83
            Elemental Magic Skill Merits 1/5

Thanks to Kazuki for the awesome sig!

Comment

Also, it's +2 INT, so that's why I use it instead of an alternate piece.

And yeah, it's all about knowing your tank. If mine wasn't able to hold hate well (generally a NIN at those levels isn't going to be great at pinning hate to himself, but no one likes PLDs anymore, and none of the WARs want to tank. God I miss WAR/MNKs sometimes, but they have gone the way of the dodo practically), then of course I'd remove the hat for the time being.

Comment

Originally posted by greydaze
                It isn't so much a problem WE have managing hate as it is the tanks... <.<; I don't use the hat, but even three debuffs pulls hate off the "tank."
                Hiya grey, hope you had fun with me and Draganor in Qufirm yesterday (if you are who I think you are that is).

And while I did use the hat on my RDM (Baron's Chapaeu) it is just on my head for 2 spells only for me Gravity and Poison (and nukes, but I seldom nuke as RDM in an exp pt).

And for riding the hate line, if you play right you shouldn't have any trouble magaing hate as BLM with the Chapeau donned (unless you start of the fight with a massive volley of enfeebles followed by a nuke).

And personally I do like the Chapeau, my BLM retired it at 29 though since Seer's(+1) is clearly the better choice there.
                Keep in mind, sig might be outdated I just update it a few times per week.
                Signature with the usual levels and obtained stuff etc. . .

Comment

I had a war/mnk tank in Qufim the other night. It was like a flashback to a simpler time. The whole party appeared in sepia tones on my screen. Wild.

Only job I could see using the hat really well is blu. An extra int over another piece isn't worth giving your flegling tank a hard time.
                  lagolakshmi on Guildwork :: Lago Aletheia on Lodestone

Comment

Oh to be a Taru and to not have to agonize over every single point of INT.

Actually, that's not fair of me. Still, I like to keep the Chapeau around. Most tanks aren't completely terrible.

Comment

Enmity +2 may not be that big of a deal, depending the play style and the tank.

I think the BLM in my PLD's static party used that hat before the Seers set... I only had problem holding mobs from him when he chain nuked because he had too much MP (he's a juice addict), and sometimes on mandies. Those little daikons were hard to hang on to.

Well, and early SC+MB. Not much I can do when the SC goes off 10 seconds into the battle and Shield Bash's down and the area's clear for a -ga spell MB...

If your tank can handle it, keep the hat and don't chain nuke. Otherwise, switch to a hairpin or something. heh.
                      Bamboo shadows sweep the stars,
                      yet not a mote of dust is stirred;
                      Moonlight pierces the depths of the pond,
                      leaving no trace in the water.

- Mugaku

Comment

on my mage jobs i used a tarders hat till i chould get my seer gear on. Its just the same as the barons only no emity or +1 in. in fact the only pieace of baron i own is the leg for the mp bonus while healing. Today i had a flash back to a simpler time while lvling my blm on another sever. pld was tanking, we had a war/mnk. ninja was pulling like they did back when the job 1st game out. i miss those days ;_;
                        [GM]Dave>> Last question.
                        Player>> Shoot.
                        [GM]Dave>> Don't tempt me.

Comment

Last night in Yuhtunga Jungle I had my first experience partying with a BLM wearing a Baron's Chapeau. My strategy as a BLM in parties is usually to toss out elem enfeebles and Blind (Paralyze, Dia and Slow too if nobody else is), and then rest for a bit before casting my first nuke. Thats how I was playing last night. Normally, I might pull hate less than ten times total in one 4 hr exp session. I've found my groove, you might say. Not so last night.

Our party was NIN-NIN-COR-BLM-BLM-WHM, which, incidentally, probably had something to do with the whole messy situation. The two NIN, who were trading off tanking, could not keep hate off this Baron'd (Mithra) BLM, who was spamming nukes constantly. I mean, every goddamn battle she used all her mp on nukes. The Baron's Chapeau only exacerbated this situation. To make matters worse, we didn't speak the same language, so I couldn't even ask her to tone it down a bit. >< How do you Auto Translate "Stop spamming nukes and rest up a bit! Can't you see you're getting mauled here?"

I was so relieved when I leveled up and was asked to leave the party because of level gap.

Anyway, back to point: I don't think the tradeoff of +1 INT for +2 Enmity is worth it. Someone with a slower/smarter way of playing might be able to toe the hate line, but last night's experiences did not give me any hope for the population at large.
                          Nibblonian: "You are the last hope of the universe."
                          Fry: "So I really am important? How I feel when I'm drunk is correct?"
                          Nibblonian: "Yes, except the Dave Matthews Band doesn't rock."'

Sisqi ~Fairy~WHM 75
                          PLD 60 RDM 54 BLM 48

Comment

Well... utility blms definelly don't like hate.

But heavy artilitary KO blms, it's not a big deal. MB + nuke = next monster.

I say it's worth it if you can be in your zone of absolute death. If I can -ga at camp, hate isn't much of an issue, as pt who can produce enough power to soften the enemy up...so to say...

sit -> sc->ga mb -> nuke -> wait for pull.

Comment

people, before the tank has even provoked or before your pt has had a chance to land 2-3 rounds of attack, do not rifle off 3 enfeebles one after another.
                              even the op said, its like low level battles... what do you expect?

if you shoot off blind, bio, poison, etc etc within the first 6 seconds of a fight, what do you expect to happen??

as far as the +1int, i dont think its going to make or break anything. ever. you can manage the +2 enmity easily: have some cooldown between spells. if you find yourself under 50% mp all the time, if starting at full mp, you are casting way too much for a dedicated magic dd.
                              Omni@Remora: NIN75 RNG75 MNK75 COR75 BST64 BRD53
                              ♪♫ San d'Oria Complete ♪♫ ZM Complete ♪♫ CoP Complete ♪♫ AM Complete ♪♫

Comment

Originally posted by Chveya
                                Anyway, back to point: I don't think the tradeoff of +1 INT for +2 Enmity is worth it. Someone with a slower/smarter way of playing might be able to toe the hate line, but last night's experiences did not give me any hope for the population at large.
                                It seems a lot of new BLM are completely clueless, maybe too many have been listening to others say how easy the job is. Saying this after leveling WHM from 30-37 followed by DRK 24-37(eventually). There was one in the party I had yesterday that just had to be the worst though. No concept of hate, open the battle with firega followed right after by Water 2. Didn't stop casting when he pulled hate either.

With BLM like that, the +enmity on the hat won't matter, they're pulling and holding hate really damn well with or without it. Credit to the tanks and RDM healer that he never died.
                                I use a Mac because I'm just better than you are.

HTTP Error 418 - I'm A Teapot - The resulting entity body MAY be short and stout.

loose

Comment

Working...
                                X