This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elvaan BLMs...

I created a new character, one who is Elvaan because I plan to be a MNK; however, if that dosen't work out I intend to be a mage. A Elvaan BLM because I don't want to delete my character, etc. because of the situation.

I know Elvaan is the worst race for BLM, but are the all that bad? When I had a PT in the Crawlers' Nest w/my WAR I had a two BLM PT one Taru and one Elvaan. The Taru had more INT and MP by far but they never ever ran out of MP really and they both performed at the same level; albeit, the Taru was better.

So this is what I ask.

Do Elvaan BLMs get any invites? Or is it much, much slower than your average BLM. The way I see it is this, a BLM is a BLM, period. Even if they pick a crap race a BLM will still perform the way the BLM should be and the experience will be the same with the Elvaan BLM as with a Taru BLM. All will be the same as long as there is a BLM in the PT. You know what I mean?

Anyways, I just wanted to know if Elvaan BLM's invites are hours and hours and hours and Tarus are instant (exaggerated but just answer the question).

Also, what special things must I do to put myself at same Lv. as a Taru?

my LS leader is a level 75 elvaan blm

he gets more invites then the 75 hume pld
    Why be like someone famous when you can be like me.

Comment

I know a lvl 73 Elvaan Blm on my server, and he seems to get his own fair share of invites. After lvl 60, with the right gear any race can perform well as blm, but the hard part is getting up to there. In the lower lvls you will have problems with both mp and resists (due to lower int), but as you progress and get your RSE and other equipment the gap between taru and other races becomes marginal. A great example of a Elvaan blm in this forum in Faluzure from Quezecotl (sp?) server, he's a nice guy and i'm sure if you gave him a Private Message he wouldnt mind helping a fellow elvaan out

I think you said it when you said "a BLM is a BLM, period." you'll do fine as a Elvaan

Fuk it, Cut the cord...

Comment

Recently, I've been leveling BLM. Right now it's at 35 and I've got +27 INT including food. My MP is lower than every other BLM I level with, and my Damage is usually 8 points weaker. However, the fact that I'm an elvaan hasn't hurt my leveling in the least.

What really makes the biggest difference in BLM is being up to date in your spells and knowing how to use them. If you know what you're doing, you'll be fine.
        RDM70 - PLD62 - NIN46 - THF43 - WHM43 - WAR38 - BLM36

Comment

Yeah, if you're not one to think too much about stats, you're ok. Really at the higher levels, I don't notice any difference between Hume and Taru BLMs since at that level, nukes are so powerful they usually nuke maybe once and then again for MB.
          Nation: Windurst
          RDM75 BLM 69 WHM 37 RNG 44 NIN 37
          Woodworking 70+1 Alchemy 60 Cooking 35 Bonecraft 50 Clothcraft 53 Leathercraft 60 Smithing 55 Goldsmithing 24
          http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/profile.xml?56874
          http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/profile.xml?56881

Comment

As noted, the difference in BLM strength between races becomes pretty pointless at higher levels.

At lower levels, Taru are hands down the strongest nukers (all other things being equal, gear/food/playstyle), but also the most fragile. You can't really "equal" a Taru as an Elvaan BLM, but realistically... you don't need to. BLM of any race do plenty of damage, and are equally capable at casting the same utility spells (Bio, Bio2, Elemental Enfeebles, Warp I/II, Escape, Sleep, blah blah), and that's really the point.

Worry less about "catching up" with the Tarutaru, and worry more about learning how to make the most of your gear and available MP and you'll do fine.

Icemage

Comment

I can't speak about higher level black mages, since mine is only at 30 (had to go back and level it for my whm main).

My problem was, even though I knew not to overnuke, that was much harder for me in practice than in theory. Honestly (/shame), it took me about the first 25 levels to get a decent sense of what my nukeing should be.

Once I figured that out, my mp consumption got much better. As an elvaan, I really think you wouldn't have this problem of overnukeing at much as the begining, as your weak mp limits that. Now, I wouldn't want an elvaan whm if i could help it because whm mp can be so absolutely vital for the survival of the party in some situations. As an elvaan blm though, I think this same fact would make you better at your job sooner.

The only real problem I see is the int gap. Other people here (much more knowldegeable than myself) say that that becomes laregely irellavant later on, so I say go for that blm if monk doesn't suit you!
              Aelith - 75 Whm/ 37 Smn
              *Alexander*

Comment

there generally arent enough blms seeking to hurt your invites. a blm is a blm, unless theyre a galka ;3

Comment

Originally posted by Mephisto
                  there generally arent enough blms seeking to hurt your invites.
                  Dunno about lower levels, but at higher levels it's quite the opposite, at least for me. When I'm seeking, if there are 20 people in my level range, around 10 of them are BLMs :sweat:

Comment

Originally posted by TheMidg
                    Dunno about lower levels, but at higher levels it's quite the opposite, at least for me. When I'm seeking, if there are 20 people in my level range, around 10 of them are BLMs :sweat:
                    really? maybe you seek at different times than me >.> most times theres rarely any. When im making PT, previous experiences > all, unless you're a galka. then I dont invite you.

Comment

Originally posted by Mephisto
                      unless you're a galka. then I dont invite you.
                      And your name is Bobdeez XD

Comment

Originally posted by TheMidg
                        And your name is Bobdeez XD

Comment

I dunno, if you got lots of blm seeking... make a blm pt

Fuk it, Cut the cord...

Comment

>Dunno about lower levels, but at higher levels it's quite the opposite, at least for me. When I'm seeking, if there are 20 people in my level range, around 10 of them are BLMs

;-; People would always say "oh youre a blm you can get a pt" but before my static I would go 10hr+ daily without invites. ~.~; Theres alot of higher up blms on baha, at least whenever im seeking.
                            Kuno's super cool stats!
                            Server - Bahamut | Nationality - San d'Orian | Rank - 9 | Jobs - 75 BLM/74 SMN

Crafts-
                            Fishing 100+ - Woodworking 80 - Cooking 35
                            Lushang's: Ok!

Comment

I havent had any problems with invites really, in fact, recently, i have to keep turning them down because im trying to help my friends get AF, or im farming...or getting me own AF, ect =)

Fact is, if you play well, and enjoy the job, then you'll get invited...or even if you play horribly and enjoy the job, you'll most likely get invited. Im getting to the point where taru or elvaan doesnt matter much, (least so im told) and im glad for that fact, heh, i never really thought it was fair a lvl 47 BLM could out dam,age me with the same spells when i was at 55, =P

You'll get outdamaged, you wont have the best MP, or INT, but if you try hard, and keep your gear updated, then you'll be fine in the long run =) Safe Travels® neh^^

Sig is the courtesy of Enishi, Remora Server

BLM 75
                              WHM 44
                              SMN 50
                              SAM 54

BLM Relic: 4/5 :D (I've been lucky >.>)
                              HQ Staves: 6
                              Zenith Mitts: O :D
                              Ugg. Pendant: X ; ;

Comment

Working...
                              X