• Show
Clear All

Re: Party vs All Other Sub Discussion.

Did anyone mention Fast cast?
    [main]@75 = BLM+WAR
    [sub]@37+ = NIN THF RNG WHM RDM

Comment

I just wanted to pop in and mention something here.

My current job is BLM/SMN.

Yes, I am only level 30, and I've not much experince with how it will work later on, but let me say this. I've had no problems whatsoever getting a party. I usually am invited within 2 minutes of turning my flag on. I've rarely had MP problems. If I am low on MP, it's usually because a) We have a PL, and I'm skilling up weapon. or b) I wasn't able to heal inbetween mobs. Now I know, I should go WHM for safty. However, I just havn't got around to leveling BLM yet. /SMN also does give me higher intelligence. While I know it's a little intelligence, I've learned that every bit counts.

I would also like to mention that I've yet been asked to heal, nor has anyone got mad at me for being /SMM. Some people did ask how it differs, yes. Also, I'll be glad to get Auto-Refresh when I get BLM50.

Yeah, I plan to level WHM eventully. I'm sure I'll need it. Most likely when I get to 40, I'll level WHM. That way I'll be able to sneak around. ._.

So

BLM/SMN:

Pros:
      • Good for getting around. Have carbuncle out to distract enemies.
      • Higher MP
      • Higher INT
      • Auto Refresh at BLM50/SMN25
      • Don't have to focus on healing.
      Cons:
      • Unable to backup heal.
      • Lower HP
      • Lower DEF

If I ever am turned into a rat, I want one of those wheel thingys.

Comment

I really have to intervene.

It's not about how fast you get a party, it's what you can do in a party.

As /whm or even /rdm you get so much more than any other sub with cures and defensive magic alone. I believe no other sub is even worth a look in a party situation.

Comment

/whm period in a regular party
          whm can be overwhelmed at times and a blm with /whm can help out.

/rdm can be usefull at higher levels like 68+

/smn is usefull if one blm in a manaburn (must be taru) uses it

/nin is great for soloing pets

i know thi is not for the ideal party which is what the thread is about but nobody has mentioned this because its uncommon for a blm to solo and i wanna spread the word.

Solo blm rocks and its a lot of fun: its way more exciting and you can only count on yourself.
          Shendokai Tarutaru BLM 64 / WHM 38 Phoenix Server

Comment

I've read over lightly what people are saying, can I just get a straight answer,

should I bother levelling RDM or will /WHM see me through to 75

I also have smn 38 to sub but I don't see the advantages at all.
            Crank dat Soulja boy..

Comment

Originally posted by Andvari View Post
              I've read over lightly what people are saying, can I just get a straight answer,

should I bother levelling RDM or will /WHM see me through to 75

I also have smn 38 to sub but I don't see the advantages at all.
              /WHM will see you through the lvls to lvl 75 just fine. At the endgame it could be wise for you to lvl your redmage. The reason I say that is because I have solod my blm on many occasions, ive killed countless Catoboplebas and Marid getting from lvl 73-75, and at lvl 75 I have gotten half of my merits soloing Marids (up to 507 xp @ 75 ftw) which con T-VT at that lvl and I cannot of done that at all with /WHM. One reason that /RED is so much better is enfeeble strength. Sleep, gravity, and really any enfeeble are real essential spells for BLM use. Alot of endgame BLM gear has +enfeeble and you can make a macro for that. BLM enfeeble cap at 75 is 230 and red mage at 75 is 300. There is almost enouph endgame BLM gear to close about 50 points of that gap but 230+40ish is enouph of an enfeeble macro. (Master Caster's Bracelets, Enfeeble torque, Enfeeble earring, Igqira Lappas, Igqira Tiara, Wizard's Coat)

I think soloing is the real point of BLM/RED, and the damage is a little higher. Subbing red or white has no effect on elemental strenght as far as I know as it caps at 300 either way.
              Last edited by supersimian; 09-11-2006, 12:43 PM.
              sigpic

Comment

With the abscence of standard parties being available for the majority of Black Mages, who're now forced into doing purely manaburns...

A couple of other subs are now acceptable and viable for party play (with other Blm's that is)

Post 50:

1x Blm/Cor in a manaburn party will be loved by all involved. Not only do you have more Int than a /Whm sub, you'll also increase the net exp for everyone gained.

Yes - you will lose blink/stoneskin - but in a decent burn party you shouldn't be getting hit.

Ideally the other Blm's will be either /Whm or /Rdm so you'll get raised in the event of a death.

Post 70:

Blm/Pld:

This gives you access to cures, and auto-refresh. You do end up with slightly less Int, but far more functionality in a party than /Smn can give. I don't rate a half levelled stoneskin, when if I need a stoneskin, I can /Rdm and cast it myself. Same with Blink.

You do lose Stoneskin/Blink though, so it's best used in situations where you won't be getting hit and won't need ~na cures, like manaburns.

Of the two, I personally prefer Corsair as a sub, as the extra freebie exp just makes things go quicker - again, these are limited to manaburns where it's all about the nuke, and less about the enfeebling and normal stuff you used to get many moons ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Tsama View Post
                  Ok, maybe I should give all the reasons. Though I didn't have time to I was a bit in a rush.

First, when I play my blm/rdm I heal when I have to.

A blm/smn is not there to heal and should not be. The damage that a blm/smn can do will out way any other character in the game except maybe a full smn. I am not positive yet still checking.

I know Blm shouldn't have to worry about getting hit, but there are those times when you get that one hit, that you shouldn't or maybe more then one. Trust me a little more Def does help at time. I can think of plenty of times when I was less experienced that, that extra Def did help.

Now the extra Int, is ok 3 more. That is still 3 int. It helps.

The brd thing, was a side effect.

I couldn't remember what level dispel and phlanx were been away for a little while.

I am not going to really reply to most of the stuff said because my first post now that I re-read it was jacked up.

But blm/smn has many advantages. The damage that the job can do is unconperable. Ok so you take a lvl 25 summon. You are right it is very weak. There is still damage there though. Also the Auto-refresh that summoner gets is a very big plus. Maybe I should list all of the benefits to this job. I guess I will have to do that some later time.

But believe me blm/smn is a very good job.
                  Ok..................................... LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL I seriously just cracked up iRL anyways if you sub SMN as BLM I will slap you silly... Like seriously stfu!

Jorge, from Remora
                  WAR67 NIN63 RDM63 BLM75 RNG75 SAM75 BRD75

SUMMONER 0!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Stfu!

Comment

Originally posted by Oblivion069 View Post
                    Ok..................................... LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL I seriously just cracked up iRL anyways if you sub SMN as BLM I will slap you silly... Like seriously stfu!
                    Jorge, from Remora
                    WAR67 NIN63 RDM63 BLM75 RNG75 SAM75 BRD75
                    SUMMONER 0!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Stfu!
                    03-18-2004, 02:51 PM

Thank god you came along to settle that. Four. Years. Later.

Also, click here so you can stop with the ghetto copy-paste signature.
                    Ellipses on Fenrir
                    There is no rush. If you're not willing to take your time, don't be surprised when no one wants to give you much of theirs.
                    . . .

Comment

Originally posted by Ellipses View Post
                      03-18-2004, 02:51 PM
                      Thank god you came along to settle that. Four. Years. Later.
                      Also, click here so you can stop with the ghetto copy-paste signature.
                      I don't think his troll account will be around long enough for him to make a static signature.
                      Host of irc.gamesurge.net #FF14 - TheAfterLife XI & XIV LS
                      Olorin (Ramuh): BLM75 BRD78 WHM75 RDM75
                      Olorin Branwen (Melmond): Lv12 LNC9 CON7 THM6 MNR6 ALC4

Comment

If this guy has 4 75 jobs, I've lost all faith in Vana'diel.
                        ~~~BLM SAM RNG NIN PLD~~~

Comment

Working...
                        X