This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bst Bible

Red text indicates stuff that needs verified, tested, unkown data, or links to allakhazam threads. Feel free to post/PM if you have an answer/new guide to be added.

Current Version May 2006

Contents

I. The Basics

How to Unlock
    Skill Caps, Skill Ratings, and Weaponskills
    BST Abilities/Levels Learned/Recast/Explanation
    BST Macros
    Sub Jobs to Use
    Food and Equipment Usage
    II. How Do I Do this?
    Basic Fight
    Where the Heck do I go?
    III. Jug Pets and Pet Food
    Jug List + Recipes
    Pet Food List, Recipes, and Potency
    Status Effect Removal with Pet Food
    IV. AF*(PT suggestions)
    Barbaroi Axe
    Beast Gaiters
    Beast Gloves
    Beast Helm
    Beast Jackcoat
    Beast Leggings
    V. Relic Information
    Monster Gear
    Relic Axe---->Guttler Process
    VI. WSMNs for BST
    Decimation
    Spiral Hell
    Evisceration
    VII. Ballista
    Equipment
    Sub
    Strategy
    VIII.Merits
    Status
    Job Abilities
    IX. Misc. Links and Old Threads
    X. Credits

I. The Basics

How to Unlock

Step 1: Go to the door above the choco stables in Lower Jeuno. Examining it will cause a CS with Dietmund. He tells you to get him night flowers.

Step 2: Go to Upper Jeuno Stables and talk to Shallot.

Step 3: Head out to the Kraken's humble home at F-8 in Qufim between 20:00 and 4:00 (night flowers, get it?).

Step 4: Either kill it, use Silent Oil/Sneak, or hit Perfect Dodge. Once the ??? spawns, click it to start another CS.

Step 5: Go to the Dietmund's house again, then Brutus (Upper Jeuno Stables), then the house, then Brutus again. You can now set job as BST, recieve 2100 gil, and a Beast Whistle.

Skill Caps, Skill Ratings, and Weaponskills

Thank you Arlys, I want to have your babies.

WS Status Modifiers
    Aden's Renkai Chart

Beastmaster Abilities/Levels Learned/Recast/Explanation

BST Macros

I list <t>/<stnpc> because people use both, you can choose which suits you best.

To change equipment: /equip "Slot" "Name"
    To Charm: /ja "Charm" <t>/<stnpc>
    To Familiar: /ja "Familiar" <me>
    To Fight: /pet "Fight" <t>/<stnpc>
    To Heel: /pet "Heel" <me>
    To Sic: /pet "Sic" <me>
    To Stay: /pet "Stay" <me>
    To Guage: /ja "Guage" <t>/<stnpc>
    To Release: /pet "Leave" <me>
    Call Beast: /ja "Call Beast" <me>
    Pet HP: <pethpp>
    Pet TP: <pettp>

Sub Jobs to use

Soloing Subs:

/WHM: This is the most common sub for a BST because of it's access to -na spells, -ra spells, Stoneskin, Blink, and Divine Seal. Both WHM and RDM have debuffs, but those will become nearly useless as you progress in levels.

/RDM: Another good sub, about the same as WHM, just a little less MP, a little more HP, and you trade Divine Seal for Phalanx. Also you get the en-spells, so have a little added melee power. Also minimal CHR differences. You also get Blink/Stoneskin later, no auto-regen, no -na spells, and no teleports.

/NIN: The second most popular sub, right behind /WHM. You rely on Utsu to avoid damage, so you need to avoid -aga mobs and things that will hit you with status effects, or you will be having a lot of downtime. Big plus sides are that if played right, the exp can pour in, as well as you get to look cool whacking at things with 2 weapons.

/PLD: Has less MP than WHM or RDM, but will have some added def/VIT. Not a very common SJ, but has been known to be used.

PT subs:

/WAR: Provoke, Bersek, Defender, Warcry, Double Attack, Physical Attack/Defense Up. All this adds up to a big beating on whatever you are hitting.

/SAM: Third Eye, Meditate, Store TP. More for use in HNM situations for spamming Spirits Within.

/THF: SATAing is where it's at. Can be used to stick hate on regular tanks in PTs or to place a good old Spiral Hell on a HNM to help your NINs keep hate off the mages.

/NIN: Utsu and Dual Wielding. One of the better DDing subs for in a PT, right up there by /WAR.

/RDM/WHM: Your damage will not live up to it's potential, but you may be able to save the PT with some well placed cures. Not the best melee sub, but better than nothing.

Food and Equipment Usage

What food should I use? Well, some BSTs (me) have leveled to 75 without any, some use Caviar, some use Tacos, some use Sushi. Whatever you want to use, somepage.com has the best food guide out there.

Somepage.com's Food Guide

Now, what equipment should you concentrate on as a BST? The general rule of thumb is CHR > MP > Acc/att. Most of it really depends on what is on stock on your server at any given time.

I had originally typed a list of good thigs that most BSTs go through, then remembered this thread and am just going to link it.

II. How do I do this?

Basic Fight

A BST fight will typically follow this order:

1. Charm a pet. EM most of the time, DC at lower levels, T or higher if you plan on familiaring or it dieing very fast.
    2. Select a target, and send pet in to attack it. The typical target is EM/T/VT.
    3. Change to battle gear and melee if it is a 1 pet battle and attack. Debuff at will.(Optional)
    4. After pet dies or gets too low HP and is released, switch back to charming gear, charm your next pet, and send it to attack the target.
    5. Repeat stages 3-4 as needed.
    6. Release or Ghetto Leave pet, then WS for the kill to get full exp.
    7. Put Charm/resting gear on, repeat steps 1-7.

This has changed a lot after 12/12, you just need to remember your pet will disappear after being released, and plan accordingly.

The term Ghetto Leave is used to represent the process of heeling your pet and letting the target wail on it until dead so you can recieve full exp for each kill under level 35.

Where the heck do I go?

I am not going into places to level right now, since we have many good threads about where to go to solo, or go as a PT of BSTs.

Soloing Guides:

The BST Anthologies
    Hunting Grounds 2.0 Allakhazam
    Hunting Grounds 1.0 Allakhazam

Last edited by RunningDemon; 07-04-2006, 01:57 PM.

Re: Bst Bible

III. Jug Pets and Pet Food

When a BST and a jug of soup get together, a Tiger/Hare/etc Familiar is born. Don't ask why there is a sheep coming running when you need it in the middle of a glacier, it just happens. Jug pets are typically used to save your butt if there is nothing to charm for some reason, or to go into a EP/TWTBW area and clean house. They will be no better than a DC pet at best, but when used for farming on TWTBW mobs can hit for the melee damage cap (300-320 or so) regularly while taking very little damage, making farming easy in certain areas.

Jug List + Recipes
    Need info on caps, recipes, craft levels, etc. For the 4 newer jug pet types. I have the PNGs for Saerik's images, and will let him adjust when the info is gathered, or do it myself.
    Shops listed sell the NQ, not the HQ.

Mysterytour Jug Page

Pet Food List, Recipes, and Potency

Numbers listed are minumums, they increase with +MND, and +Reward on AF/AF2/Bison/Ogre, as shown in the next section.

Name Shop Recipe Amount Healed
    Pet Food Alpha B.Mines, 9 Cooking 30
    W. Woods Earth Crystal
    Bird Egg, D. Water,
    Hare meat, Horo Flour
    Pet Food Beta B. Mines, 19 Cooking 60
    W. Woods Earth Crystal
    Bird Egg, D. Water,
    G. Sheep meat, Horo Flour
    Pet Food Delta 39 Cooking 150
    Earth Crystal
    Bird Egg, D. Water,
    Land Crab meat, Rye Flour
    Pet Food Epsilon 49 Cooking 250
    Earth Crystal
    Cockatrice meat, D. Water
    Lizard Egg, Rye Flour
    Pet Food Gamma 29 Cooking 100
    Earth Crystal
    Bird Egg, Dhalmel meat,
    D. Water, Horo Flour
    Pet Food Zeta 60 Cooking 350
    Earth Crystal
    Coeurl meat, D. Water,
    Lizard Egg, San. Flour

Status Removal with Pet Food and Enhanced Reward Heal Amounts

********Anyone with tests on this, respond with data*******

IV. AF

AF, or Artifact armor is our pretty looking sheep suit. Pieces and levels for them are as follows, along with steps to obtain.

1. Barbaroi Axe Lv 40

To obtain you need to be level 40 BST and talk to Brutus in the Upper Choco Stable. He will ask you to retrieve a bell from Delkfutt's Tower. You need to get a chest key from Gigas Watchcallers, Stonemasons, Kettlemasters, Evil Spirits, or Elementals. You can pick the chest as a THF as well, once the quest is active. Once you find the chest and get your Key Item, return to Brutus and you get the axe.

PT Suggestion: I personally waited until 50, then did this, and Rank 4 + 5 all in a 2 day period. But anyway, all you need is to be able to kill Gigas of the mid 30s to do this. So you can solo at 40 using jugs, or grab some friends and tear the place up.

2. Beast Gaiters Lv 52

Talk to Brutus who gives you 3 Aquafloras (key items) to put in some Underground Pools in Fei'yin. You will need sneak/invis and to avoid magic aggro inside Fei'Yin. The three pools are in the lower map of Fei'Yin at F-5, H-5, and H-8. One pool will spawn a NM ghost upon inspection that you must defeat. After defeating the NM and inspecting all 3 pools, return to Brutus. He'll then tell you to ship out to Castle Oztroja. Once there you need to kill Conquistadors, Priors and Zealots for a Chest key. Once you have the key, open a chest to get a Beast Collar which you then have to trade to Tebhi, a NPC monkey that walks around the castle. After that, go back to Brutus and pick up your boots.

PT Suggestion: The least I have heard of this being done is with 2 56 BSTs. I did with 5? BSTs of various levels in the 50s. A good mid-50s PT should probably be able to do it.

3. Beast Gloves Lv 54

Talk to Guslam in Upper Jeuno to active this quest. Then go to Crawler's Nest, kill until you get a coffer key, find a coffer, and obtain Rusty Gauntlets from it. Go talk to Guslam again, then enter Tenshodo in Lower Jeuno and talk to the mithra inside. She'll ask for 1000g to give you information about something. From here investigate the ??? outside the duty free shop, (in Port Jeuno)AKA the 'grimy box'. Upon examining (or trading) you will get a CS, and will need to go track down 'eternal flame', a Key Item from killing Dark Spark in Castle Zvahl Baileys. Run up there (preferably with friends) and head to the torches. Examine them, spawn DS, kill it, examine again for Key Item, return to Jeuno and go to the ??? again for another CS and your new gloves.

PT Suggestion: The mobs that drop the coffer key are level 60 or so. So either 2hr and hope to get a lucky drop, or grab some friends. Dark Spark is a bomb and soloable by 70+ BST, maybe lower. Normal PT ...mid 60s or alliance in 50s?

4. Beast Helm Lv 56

Get a coffer key from Garliage, find a coffer. Done.

PT Suggestion: You will more likely than not exping here on Hellmines and other Key droppers. Wait until you are soloing here and do it yourself.

5. Beast Jackcoat Lv 58

Get a coffer key deep from in the BST unfriendly zone of Beadeaux, find a coffer.

PT Suggestion: This is a pain in the butt. The Quadavs link and there are no good pets around. 2 BSTs level 65 should be able to do it. There are regularly skill up or key PTs coming in there, so that might be your best bet. The mobs are level 65-71, so plan accordingly.

6. Beast Leggings Lv 60

Go to Dietmund's house in Lower Jeuno again. Then buy a Mahogany lumber, take it to Otto in Upper Jeuno Choco Stables to get a Key Item made. Then head to Eldieme Necropolis via Beaucedine Glacier and go to D-4. Clear the room, and click on the tomb to spawn 2 tigers (charmable) and an undead hound. You do not need to kill the tigers, just the hound. Once it is dead, re-examine the tomb and get your pants.

PT Suggestion: This is kinda tough. The easiest way is to bring at least 2 BSTs to charm and 2hr the tigers and have a high level BST's CC tank the Hound. Normal PT setup would need alliance under 60, 10+ under 68, and a good PT over 70. Also would be duoable by 2 75 BSTs.
    Last edited by RunningDemon; 07-04-2006, 02:12 PM.

Comment

Could someone with "the power" PLEASE make this a sticky. RunningDemon will be porting most of the data over from our old forum and this has long been an invaluable reference for aspiring beastmasters. I would hate to see it lost in the transition by way of a dated post.

63 Beastmaster / 55 Thief
      91 Alchemy / 69 Cooking / 60 Woodworking
      60 Goldsmithing, 50 Smithing, 15 Leathercraft

Comment

V. Relic Information

Monster Gear

Monster Helm - Dynamis Windurst
        Monster Jackcoat - Dynamis-Bastok
        Monster Gloves - Dynamis-Xarcabard
        Monster Gaiters - Dynamis-Beaucedine
        Monster Leggings - Dynamis-Sandoria
        Info on the drops in Safehold/Qufim/Bubu/Valkrum on AF and -1s anyone?

Relic Axe---->Guttler Process

Stage 1: Relic Axe
        To Upgrade: 3 Jadeshells, Angel Skin, Chronos Tooth, Feather Collar +1

Stage 2: Leonine Axe
        To Upgrade: 14 Silverpieces, Tabar, Darksteel Tabar, Tabarzin

Stage 3: Dynamis Axe
        To Upgrade: 60 100 Byne Bills, Attestation of Bravery

Stage 4: Ogre Killer
        To Upgrade: 100 Jadeshells(?), Runaeic Fragment, H-7 W. Altepa CS

Stage 5: Guttler

VI. WSMNs for BST

1. Decimation

Upon getting ********* go to Upper Jeuno and talk to Brutus,he will give you the Trial Pick and a "writing of practice." Once you have cleared the weapon (300 points?, a point is a given for each level of a WS/Renkai), return it to Brutus and he will give you the "map of trial". Go to Temple of Uggalepih and find a ??? at G-9 (enter from Yhoator J-9? north side?) Fight an NM called Yallery Brown, then reinvestigate the spot and you will get the "writing of a trial". Talk to Brutus to finish the quest.

PT Setup: A good 70+ PT should be able to handle it. Least I have done with is 4 BSTs, but has been confirmed to be duoable with no farmers there on other mobs.

2. Spiral Hell

Upon getting scythe skill to 240 (lv 75 cap), go to Bostaunieux Oubliette and talk to Novalmauge, he will give you the Scythe of Trials and a "writing of practice." Once you have cleared the weapon (300 points?, a point is a given for each level of a WS/Renkai), return it to Novalmauge and he will give you the "map of trial". Go to Den of Rancor and find a ??? at J-13. Fight an NM called Mokumokuren, then reinvestigate the spot and you will get the "writing of a trial". Talk to Novalmauge to finish the quest.

PT Setup: No knowledge of my own, but most likely same as with Decimation. Has been confirmed as soloable by a 75 BST.

3. Evisceration

Upon getting *******, go to Khazam and talk to Jakoh Wahcondalo and she will give you the Dagger of Trials and a "writing of practice." Once you have cleared the weapon (300 points?, a point is a given for each level of a WS/Renkai), return it to Jakoh Wahcondalo and she will give you the "map of trial". Go to Gustav Tunnel and find a ??? at J-8 on second map. Fight an NM called Baronial Bat (I think it's a bat type ^_- Propably Giant Bat), then reinvestigate the spot and you will get the "writing of a trial". Talk to Jakoh Wahcondalo to finish the quest.

PT Setup: From Zevach: Can be done with 3 BSTs, 2 of them Familiaring scorps, and the 3rd using anything. No pet swaps needed.

KI WSNM Thread (at the bottom)

VII. Ballista

Equipment

Best bet is to bring straight up battle gear, poison potions if you do not want to quarry them yourself, and attack food if you have gil to burn and are a ballista nut. As for jugs, the cheaper the better, since you will be dieing and calling them every time your timer is up really. My personal favorites are Funguars, CourrierCarries, and Tigers/SaberSilverades.

Sub

Go /WHM or /RDM if you want to tick people off a lot when they think they have you dead and you heal yourself up. This also works well when you have a lot of melees on your team and need to heal them.
        /NIN is like /NIN for all jobs, a royal pain in the ass for opponents.
        Other subs will boost your attack and make you a straight up hack and slash melee-er.

Strategy

30 cap: This is a pain in the butt. Whenever a pet is killed, the opponents get Gate Breach, and you can't release them at this level.

40 cap and up: Once you have Release, you are not a liability any more. Just go out there, whack away at people with axes. Try to keep yourself poisoned and bring pet food to wake up whatever pet you use. My personal faveorite is the HQ tiger, since at level 75, even though it caps lower, is more than enough to chase down and kill a mage without you. A couple tricks are to -aga if you can to removed shadows from NINs, release your pet before the other team kills it to tick the other team off, and stick together. As /WHM and /NIN, I have been able to kill all jobs but the dreaded RDM/NIN, but the general rule of thumb is bum rush mages or weakened people then go score. As with other jobs in ballista, fighting PLDs and MNKs is not fun and should be avoided if possible.

VIII. Merits

Once you get to level 75, go talk to the Moogle by Maat, he will give you the ability to change your exp method to Merit in your MH. Once changed, you will no longer get experience points, but Limit Points, until you change it back. A Merit Point is 10k exp/limit points and you can have 10 at a time before you must change them in.

HP/MP

Total: 8
        Each: 8 Max
        Progression: 1-2-3-4-5-5-5-5
        Bonus: +10

Attributes

Total: 5
        Each: 5
        Progression: 3-6-9-9-9
        Bonus: +1

Combat Skills

Total: 12
        Each: 8
        Progression: 1-2-3-3-3-3-3-3
        Bonus: 2

Magic Skills

Each: 8
        Progression: 1-2-3-3-3-3-3-3
        Bonus: 2

Others

Each: 4
        Progression: 1-2-3-4
        Bonus: Varies

Job Abilities

Total: 10
        Each: 5
        Progression: 1-2-3-4-5
        Bonus:
        Call Beast: 10 seconds
        Reward: 6 seconds
        Sic: 4 seconds
        Tame: 20 seconds
        Killer Traits: 1%

Merit Info

IX. Misc. Links and the old threads

How to solo your Gaudy Harness (Sellout.com)
        BCNMs for BSTs (Sellout.com)
        Hunting Grounds 2.0 (Sellout.com)
        Hunting Grounds 1.0 (Sellout.com)

The BST Anthologies
        Somepage.com's Food Guide
        AF Thread
        Aden's Renkai Chart
        Mysterytour Jug Page
        KI WSNM Thread (at the bottom)
        Merit Info
        BSTs Trioing Hakutaku (Sellout.com)
        BST Promys (Sellout.com)

The Beastiary (Sellout.com)

X. Credits

People whose threads and knowledge were used to help make this happen.

Saerik
        Downwiththesickness
        Evanesce
        Lilyanne
        Durginn
        Lindeus
        Deimoss
        Darkraistlin
        Sellout.com
        Somepage.com
        Anyone I missed
        Last edited by RunningDemon; 07-04-2006, 02:22 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

As far as merits go, Others is 1->2->3->4 capping at 8 total. Combat skills caps at 12 with the pattern 1->2->3->3->3->etc, but a single ability can only be taken up to 8. Base stats can be upgraded 5 times now, same pattern as you described. JAs are total of 10 times. There are probably some other corrections to be made, however these are the ones I know off the top of my head.

Keep in mind, the pattern starts over for each individual area.
          Dagger lv0 -> lv1 takes 1 merit
          Dagger lv1 -> lv2 takes 2 merits
          If you now take Sword lv0 -> Sword lv1 after raising dagger, even though both are combat skills, this will only cost 1 merit, and upon raising it to lv 2, it will cost 2 merits.
          Calin - Ragnarok

Comment

Thanks for taking the time to repost this here, Cole ^^ Always been a very useful guide.

Comment

I believe base stats actually take three merits to up?

I could be wrong, I haven't been 75 in a while. :/

Comment

Am deleting the Bible on allakhazam now. Will not bother processing all the links from allakhazam since A. There are close to 100 posts, that will spam these borads like it is no tomorrow if i transfer them all, B. Not all the data is from allakhazam, and C. The data in the BST anthologies will be lost forever come June 27th.

I will move the leveling grounds over though, and brave nubkazam to fetch new updates.----edit, actually nevermind, hunting grounds was last updated in September.

I will reformat and fix things when i get around to it, to get it back to the nice clean format I had on allakhazam though, but am working next 3 days, so meh.

Comment

Rawk.
                  I'd love to see the BST forums here light it up a little bit.
                  The alla forums were a great source of info and a great help in a job that's otherwise very difficult to get info on. By our nature we tend to be a bit removed from the rest of ffxi players, so I appreciate you offering us this opportunity to get together, trade ideas, and get better at doing what we do.
                  The hell with alla, ffxio ftw.

edit: hiya Calin!
                  Last edited by --e; 05-04-2006, 03:39 PM.

Comment

Nice to see you here Running Demon

Glad to see much of the info from Alla is going to follow us here. To be honest, I used the forums guides written by players far far more than I used the Alla database (which is player created anyway).
                    75 Beastmaster

Comment

Score, this new infusion of bst blood is freakin awesome. Glad to have you guys here.

Edit: Oh dear god th anthologies are going down!?! In my spare time I may try collecting some of the better info, unfortunately it will probably be mostly for my lvl. Hate to see that go down considering I just discovered it

36 War/15 Mnk/22 Thf/62 Pld/Bst 75/Nin 33/Whm 36/Blm 19/Cor 7
                      Full Af X2 • Rank 8 • Alchemy 65

Comment

Yeah, can only have a journal with premium and hmmmm.....no chance of me renewing. Evanesce is working on backing the stuff in Anthologies up though, so no data from it should be lost.

Comment

Glad to see this here and glad the anthologies are being saved. It would be a crying shame if all that experience we've shared were to be lost.
                          I have heard that those who celebrate life
                          walk safely amongst the wild animals.
                          When they go into battle, they remain unharmed,
                          the animals find no place to attack them
                          and weapons are unable to harm them.
                          Why? Because they find no place for death in them.

Comment

RD, AIM me sometime at Feba35, a Quinsisdos is letting me use some of his webspace for my forums and my LS forums, i'm sure he'd be welcoming of you guys too

Comment

Originally posted by RunningDemon
                              Yeah, can only have a journal with premium and hmmmm.....no chance of me renewing. Evanesce is working on backing the stuff in Anthologies up though, so no data from it should be lost.
                              You get journals free here, btw. My Settings > View/Edit Your Journal. Don't know how the features compare to alla's, but it can't be too different.
                              lagolakshmi on Guildwork :: Lago Aletheia on Lodestone

Comment

Working...
                              X