This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bst and Hate question

so im only a lvl 11 bst right now, but iv been wondering this for a bit. when ever i send my pet after a mob i let it hit the mob a few times (ill cast dia or just stand there) and let the pet get hate. then ill go in and start hitting it, but everytime i hit the mob i get the hate.
    I was wondering if i just need to let my pet hit the mob more or if there is no way around this till the Crow set in gear.

Thanks everyone

Re: Bst and Hate question

until about 20-30-ish, i find the mobs don't really hold the hate very well. my advice for you would be to not melee until the last 10% of the mob's health.

Thanks Yyg!

Comment

ahh okay. ill try that out and see how it goes. thanks

Comment

If you have hate problems when soloing, try the following:

1. Use a weapon that is considerably lower damage than most weapons at your current level (i.e. use a level 7 axe at level 15, and so on).

2. Always run away from your pet and the mob until neither appears on the little radar screen at the bottom left before performing any actions such as: cures, magic, and job abilities

3. Don't melee. Yes, that's right. The fights take longer, but then, if you consistently take hate from your pet, you're likely to die, repeatedly. As we all know, a fight that takes 10 minutes for 100 exp gain is better than a fight that lasts 2 minutes and causes a net loss of 500 exp or more.

63 Beastmaster / 55 Thief
        91 Alchemy / 69 Cooking / 60 Woodworking
        60 Goldsmithing, 50 Smithing, 15 Leathercraft

Comment

Level 11-13 were pretty slow for me, but here's what I did. I would charm a DC-EM and basically farm with it on EP-DC. With an empress band charge, this should go faster than it did for me back when they weren't implemented. I found that hunting Ts at these early levels was just too dangerous.

There is some good news though, as you level your pets will hold better and better hate. However, my pets never held hate well until the mid 30s...so maybe it's not great news. =p

Good luck!
          75BST 75BLU 40BLM 40DRK 38WHM 37RDM 37NIN 37THF 20WAR
          99.1 Cooking / 20 Alchemy / 15 Woodworking
          Asura Hume LS=Illuminaire
          FFXI Wiki - Beastmaster Page
          FFXI Wiki - Beastmaster Cooking Guide

Comment

You're getting some great advice here, so I'll try not to beat any dead horses.

Until your pet is keeping hate, avoid loading up on damage. There are a number of items that trade att for evade, for example. Opt for evasion (or def, or whatever) in those cases. If you're not comfortable with your /ws damage to finish the mob off, practice swapping gear in for melee vs. charm vs tanking vs whatever-the-heck-else.

My pet started to tank reasonably well in the 23-25 range. I still wasn't able to go balls-out, but I was able to do some damage. The key here is to engage but cancel the lock. This enables you to turn around and quit doing damage so your pet can regain hate. These were bubu leeches, YMMV.

The advice to treat your exp sessions like farming is a wise one. I wandered up to ghelsba outpost and clearcut lizards for fire crystals and made a fortune. Grabbed a bunch of levels while I was up there, but that was just a happy side effect.

Take an easy, relaxed approach and get used to dying. BST is a job with exceptional versatility and freedom, but there's one hell of a learning curve, and stupidity is met with pretty harsh retribution.

Cheers~

--e

Comment

yea those beginning levels are really tough and frustrating. if you can tough it out to 35, it only gets better and better after that.

also, you can try finding like a really tough pet (ie: leeches or oozes) try to charm it then 2hr it. have your exp ring on and bring lots of food. plow thru everything tahts ep-em. xp will be a lot lower but at the rate you kill, you can melee with your pet and it'll make good use of that 2hr.
              Omni@Remora: NIN75 RNG75 MNK75 COR75 BST64 BRD53
              ♪♫ San d'Oria Complete ♪♫ ZM Complete ♪♫ CoP Complete ♪♫ AM Complete ♪♫

Comment

One thing I always noticed as well is if my pet gets the initial hate they have a better chance of holding hate. So don't use spells to pull mobs and if you do cast dia, wait about 4 secs before you cast once the fight begins. This is only really important in the early levels, later levels pets have a much easier time pulling hate off me (especially when I have some crow gear on).

36 War/15 Mnk/22 Thf/62 Pld/Bst 75/Nin 33/Whm 36/Blm 19/Cor 7
                Full Af X2 • Rank 8 • Alchemy 65

Comment

The hate/melee issue has always existed. For now get used to riding the sidelines till the mob is at half-life. Later on it becomes pretty easy to figure out when to join in. At low lvls Dia + Paralyze are your friends, they can really make the battle.
                  If you like oxymorons, here's one for you: Fundamentalist Thought.

Comment

Working...
                  X