Brd Psa #2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brd Psa #2

You know, some people level other things besides BRD and they happen to enjoy playing those jobs too. Possibly, they enjoy it even more than BRD and have put tons more work into being that job and consider that thier priority main.

Now, its no secret that BRDs are popular, wanted and loved. A surefire way to get someone to hate being a BRD is to want them too much and think you're entitled to a BRD every waking moment of the day. Unbeknowst to some people, BRDs have lives, too, and they do not wish to merit every insipid moment there isn't an endgame LS event.

Really, I'm a COR and I'll tell you right now your EXP buffer is your problem. If you want to flip the merit point switch on the moment you hit 20k, there's nothing a BRD or I can do to stop you, however, the last thing either of us want is for you to come after us the moment you've come close to delevelling and losing access to your merits and/or elite endgame gear.

First off, you lazy bums need to cap your EXP when we are around. Full 43,999/44,000 buffer or GTFO. This way, when you start losing EXP, there's still quite a ways til you get close to delevelling. After that, all you need is a couple Campaigns or Besiegeds or, hell, some EXP scroll quests or even Campaign Ops to patch your little booboos up. I swear, I do this all the time to keep my RNG capped, it works.

Second of all, if you still need a BRD that badly for anything, start levelling one for yourself. Seriously, these days it only takes even the most crap-tastic BRD a few weeks to get to 75. I doubt you'll miss that much endgame doing this and you'll have a BRD for endgame, merits and for your linkshell.

Feel good, bask in the love of your linkshell... eventually, the love will annoy the shit out of you. You will lose your name, people will start to refer to you as "The Bard" and then they'll forget you have other main jobs that you have worked really hard on. They'll forget because they don't need to level BRD themselves, they just need yours.

Endgame linkshell leaders and sackholders should consider levelling BRD especially. Somehow, you guys fortunately get to come as what you want because you can flash that pearlsack around. But if you're really that dedicated to the morale of your LS members, you would let them have opportunities to shine at other jobs they happen to enjoy besides thier BRD. You can share the load by playing BRD or other roles.

That would be nice and then maybe people wouldn't regret the fact they levelled BRD, they wouldn't leave it off thier linkshell applications, subconsciously disregard it as a "main job" or accidentally have it killed by goblins several times in Cape Terrigan, moving it as far from 75 as they can.

So please, level BRD or don't make demands of them. You are never entitled to someone else's BRD.

And remember: Flutes can be forcefully shoved in rather unpleasent places. Tread carefully.

Last edited by Omgwtfbbqkitten; 04-08-2008, 09:04 PM.

Re: Brd Psa #2

You know, I've been lurking around here for a while, and I wonder... did you read what you wrote there? That's makes no damn sense, and you usually do.

You're saying I should level bard because other people don't want the job?

Comment

I think you missed the point. 'kitten is saying that if others feel they need a BRD around so badly, then they should level their own, and have one of their own that way.

The point of the post was remind people the importance of not abusing those who level this(or any other), extremely useful job, especially if they did it simply to be a little more useful to others. There is a fine line between use and abuse, I think 'kitten's message(rant?) was that people should take care not to cross it.

Comment

The BRDs know what I'm sayin', that's all that matters. We come from the streets.

Comment

It makes a WHOLE lot of sense to me being a 75BRD

I have a 75PLD also that i gear and lot for in endgame, and you know how often i ever get to use it? NONE, you know why, because all i am ever going to be known as is "The Bard".

I can have Aegis, i can have Hauteclaire, i can be 5/5 Koenig, that alll doesnt matter because i have a 75BRD.

Oh and whats worse is all im ever used for outside of events is merits...

MERITS
          MERITS
          MERITS
          MERITS

on what??

COLIBRI
          COLIBRI
          COLIBRI!!

Im sick of god damn Colibri, all i can hear and dream about is the sound of weapons killing Toucan birds and the sounds of dying Colibris.

Because people guilt me into meriting because im a 75BARD, its like they think meriting isnt possible without bards. HELLOOOO How did people merit before TOAU? Because i know for a fact that there werent Bards stage pulling Molechs and Kindreds in Ulegurand Range. Back when there was such a thing as skillchains and magic bursts.

Not that way anymore, all people want to do is Colibri, and hit their weaponskill macro when they hit 100% TP, and good luck seeing a BLM in a merit PT outside of Mount Zhaloym.

Also, its TOAU only, forget the new zones they added like Beastman strongholds that offer good meriting camps, don't beleive me?

Screenshots:

But do you see people meriting up there normally? No. Because all people want to do is kill freakin Colibri, and apparantly its not possible to do that without Bards.

Merit partys will invite me and see 169 people in Bhaflau thickets and still go up there adding 6 more people to that list when Ulegurand Range just has one BLM soloing King Buffalo with no one else in the zone. People don't want to exp in Signet areas... no its a bad thing. its TOAU or GTFO!

I swear, even when im on /away ill still get POL MESSSAGES asking if i want to merit, like PEOPLE GAWD DAMN im away for a reason!!!

Even if i have a /seacom saying "I'm sorry im busy right now, party, no thanks" GUESS WHAT, i still get party invites because im a BARD.

I enjoy my job, i have spent millions gearing my Bard because i like what i do, but its starting to piss me off that all im good for is stage pulling Colibris. I can do that naked, forget the 6mil i spent on a manteel or the 1.5mil i spent for Musical earring and Loquacious earring, and all the time spent getting an Osode, no it matters none because all that gil is being used to sleep Colibri.

/takes a breather...

/endrant...

Yeah... needed to get a few things off my chest...
          62Dancer | 75Corsair | 75Beastmaster | 75Paladin | 75Bard

Your resource for FFXI Farming

Comment

I don't accept random invites on Bard. Period. I'm never so hard up for XP/merits that I need some random Joe off the street to beg me pretty please to sing songs for them.

I actually don't mind playing Bard or whatever, but I know I'm in the minority. That said, I play the job on my own terms, and not because somebody was too lazy to keep their buffer up.

You want merits or more buffer? The Maw that will take you into the past to Campaign to your heart's content is THAT way -->

Icemage

Comment

I have to say Castle Oztroja is one of the most fun times I've had meritting recently. So much link potential, also a good amount of decent drops, not to mention quest items and pop NM items. You can make 15k just going from the first to the third floor.

Problem with players these days is the favor safety and efficency over danger and fun. But then, efficiency might be questionable when so many don't bother to cap EXP to start with. I always find a way to stay capped.

You'd think with a job like COR, I'd get bugged all the time, but then, March x2 is just that overpowered. I used to complain that COR didn't get a Haste, but looking back, I thank heaven for small favors. I really don't get bothered that much. Invites come, as do stray one while I'm not seeking, but at least they seem to note my search comments when doing so. When I seek, I don't wait very long, either.
              Last edited by Omgwtfbbqkitten; 04-08-2008, 11:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Omgwtfbbqkitten View Post
                And remember: Flutes can be forcefully shoved in rather unpleasent places.

This one time at band camp, I...

ew

Comment

In my endgame/event LS, one person who has BRD sometimes grumbles a bit when asked to come on BRD, but he's actually asked to come as PLD or melee DD job most of the time. Instead, the leader usually brings the BRD when one is needed.

In my Dynamis LS, a quarter of the people seem to just check who's already online and pick which job to bring, mindful that we need crowd control, tanks, and healers. Except for Dynamis Lord, I don't think the leader bothers to tell people what to come as--not even those with BRD75. We auto-magically come with reasonable number of needed jobs most of the time.

In my social/main LS, there are two BRD75's. As far as I can tell, one never gets pestered for merit parties by LS members, and I'm the only person who bugs the other BRD--but she's my sister, so I'm allowed to--in fact, I think I'll finally be able to merit with her BRD for the first time ever this coming Sunday! (Yes, we make an appointment a week in advance when we want to bother our BRDs. ._. )

Looking at the OP, I can't help but feel some BRDs exaggerate their plight. May sound a tad unsympathetic, but, *ahem*:
                  Grow a spine; learn to say "No."

Demand to be allowed to use other jobs X% of the time, and get promises from the leaders they would use your other Lv.75 jobs--and keep track the record so you can say "No" louder, if necessary. Give yourself a "No BRD" week every now and then, too.

Most of all, have fun while you are on BRD. Imagine the panic you can induce by declaring:
                  Colibri â—€No thanks.â–¶
                  â—€Castle Oztroja [S]â–¶ â—€Yes, please.â–¶

as your greeting upon joining a party instead of the bland â—€Hello!â–¶
                  Bamboo shadows sweep the stars,
                  yet not a mote of dust is stirred;
                  Moonlight pierces the depths of the pond,
                  leaving no trace in the water.

- Mugaku

Comment

Originally posted by IfritnoItazura View Post

Looking at the OP, I can't help but feel some BRDs exaggerate their plight. May sound a tad unsympathetic, but, *ahem*:
                    Grow a spine; learn to say "No."

Demand to be allowed to use other jobs X% of the time, and get promises from the leaders they would use your other Lv.75 jobs--and keep track the record so you can say "No" louder, if necessary. Give yourself a "No BRD" week every now and then, too.

Most of all, have fun while you are on BRD. Imagine the panic you can induce by declaring:
                    Colibri â—€No thanks.â–¶
                    â—€Castle Oztroja [S]â–¶ â—€Yes, please.â–¶

as your greeting upon joining a party instead of the bland â—€Hello!â–¶
                    Ok welcome to endgame, if you keep arguing about not coming job X... Leaders will get sick of your attitude and just kick you. There is plenty of time you can not go bard to things, like merits/campaign/solo/etc It is what I do. I get stuck on brd all the time, being one of the more exp tanks and dd's in my shell. I just come what they need period, oh well back to CB's with lilthangel on my ninja.
                    [FFXI Journal][Pld][War][Nin][Drg][Rng][Brd]

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll154/xsev/orly.jpg

Comment

Why is it, your posts seem to need a spine itself?
                      You join a ls, you follow the leader/officers calling. Want stuff? Want events? Follow the leader. No, not entirely literally. Good shells will generally merit before/after events to recap or relevel people. So there really isn't any reason to say no to playing a job, espically if your A) good at it at events B) only person can go as that job so another can play on their better one/favorite for the said event.

Brds in general, its always gonna be "bard, can i haz it!?!?!?!" or "So-in-so, get on brd, naow! with endgamers that are the hardcore/lazy kind. Which makes up for 90% of the game(50% sevv ). Though personally, I rather not have brds in my parties or the advocates for them. It just ruins the party half the time when it comes to camps. Oh, lets not forget brd advocates who level pld stating, "Pld is not a merit job." "Good luck on your buffer then, don't say I didn't offer!" <.<; Every single time I look for a pld rofl. Or when they are on their merit jobs, "Do you have a bard? No bard, no merits." >_>;

Last statement for me here:
                      BBQ, your OP is a role model to all.
                      Adventures of Akashimo Hakubi & Nekoai Nanashi

Comment

Originally posted by Sevv View Post
                        Ok welcome to endgame, if you keep arguing about not coming job X... Leaders will get sick of your attitude and just kick you.
                        Originally posted by Akashimo View Post
                        Why is it, your posts seem to need a spine itself?
                        You join a ls, you follow the leader/officers calling. Want stuff? Want events? Follow the leader. No, not entirely literally.
                        *shrug* I am in an endgame/event shell of sorts; Sky, Sea, and Limbus. The leader tries to be accommodating, and not ask people to come on overdosed job much.

In any case, why would it hurt to ask "Can I come as ___ instead of BRD on next run?" I know one of our BRD does, and the leader (and the whole LS, really) is sensitive to his needs.

Good shells will generally merit before/after events to recap or relevel people. So there really isn't any reason to say no to playing a job, espically if your A) good at it at events B) only person can go as that job so another can play on their better one/favorite for the said event.
                        Don't know about this "merit/exp after event" thing; most of us are usually sleepy or tired (or starving, in my case), and log off or go AFK for long time. Since it's an event shell, I'm not on it before event time--maybe others do "buffer" parties, but I'm not sure.

And, if the shell is good, wouldn't the members trade turns to be on their favorite jobs?

Brds in general, its always gonna be "bard, can i haz it!?!?!?!" or "So-in-so, get on brd, naow! with endgamers that are the hardcore/lazy kind. Which makes up for 90% of the game(50% sevv ). Though personally, I rather not have brds in my parties or the advocates for them. It just ruins the party half the time when it comes to camps. Oh, lets not forget brd advocates who level pld stating, "Pld is not a merit job." "Good luck on your buffer then, don't say I didn't offer!" <.<; Every single time I look for a pld rofl. Or when they are on their merit jobs, "Do you have a bard? No bard, no merits." >_>;
                        Don't know what to make of this paragraph. ^_^;

I do know that I volunteered my PLD/NIN (PLD74 at the time) for my endgame/event LS's "Diorite merit" party, and the leader put me in the roster without a word about using my RDM75 instead.

Good leaders are sensitive to members' needs and desires, and deftly use that to advance the needs of the LS and make the members happy at the same time.

Bad leaders are the ones which kicks you out for not wanting to play BRD 24/7, I suppose.
                        Bamboo shadows sweep the stars,
                        yet not a mote of dust is stirred;
                        Moonlight pierces the depths of the pond,
                        leaving no trace in the water.

- Mugaku

Comment

Once a bard, always a bard.
                          ~~~BLM SAM RNG NIN PLD~~~

Comment

And, if the shell is good, wouldn't the members trade turns to be on their favorite jobs?
                            Good shells get stuff done. Bitching and all.
                            Good leaders are sensitive to members' needs and desires, and deftly use that to advance the needs of the LS and make the members happy at the same time.
                            Good leaders make people get stuff done and wait at the event area ahead of time.
                            Adventures of Akashimo Hakubi & Nekoai Nanashi

Comment

*shrug* I am in an endgame/event shell of sorts; Sky, Sea, and Limbus. The leader tries to be accommodating, and not ask people to come on overdosed job much.

In any case, why would it hurt to ask "Can I come as ___ instead of BRD on next run?" I know one of our BRD does, and the leader (and the whole LS, really) is sensitive to his needs.

Don't know about this "merit/exp after event" thing; most of us are usually sleepy or tired (or starving, in my case), and log off or go AFK for long time. Since it's an event shell, I'm not on it before event time--maybe others do "buffer" parties, but I'm not sure.

Don't know what to make of this paragraph. ^_^;

I do know that I volunteered my PLD/NIN (PLD74 at the time) for my endgame/event LS's "Diorite merit" party, and the leader put me in the roster without a word about using my RDM75 instead.

Bad leaders are the ones which kicks you out for not wanting to play BRD 24/7, I suppose.
                              Or the fact your fighting things outside sky/dynamis which take a bit more job selection, alot of the times brds also level whm/rdm/blm, and the ones pinned down only have melee jobs leveled so they bitch or in my shells case we have almost no bards.
                              [FFXI Journal][Pld][War][Nin][Drg][Rng][Brd]

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll154/xsev/orly.jpg

Comment

Working...
                              X