Demon Helm v opo-opo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Demon Helm v opo-opo

Which would you think would be better for merit, I am having some problems sticking lullaby. A quick run down of my gear is: Light Staff, Buggard +1 Nursemaids Harp (I know I need to get Mary's Horn still working on it) Opo-Opo Crown, Wind Torque, Melody Earrings x2, Minstrel's Coat, Sha'ir Gages, Moon ring x2 (I just came back to the game so will be buying Trumpet Rings) Jester's Cape +1, Gleeman's Belt, Choral Cannions, Sha'ir Crackows.
    my wind is capped at 231. Please put in suggestions for where I can improve. I have Sky access but no LS, I dont have a dynamis LS and I cant get into Tav Safehold.

Re: Demon Helm v opo-opo

For Meripo your best hat is Walahra Turban. You need to pull very fast. Haste speeds up songs therefore the Wally wins.

As for Opo-opo crown, it does have a wonderful +CHR bonus, but that's really not a bonus for meripo since you're fighting really weak mobs. I stick with the Walahra Turban.

As for problems sticking Lullaby, that's why you have two. If you're going up against Colibri, I've always found going /NIN and blink tanking a little more palatable than tossing Horde. If Lullaby fails, I shadow tank the new one until my next Lullaby comes up or one of the vokers graciously covers it for me.

As for the difference between +CHR and +Skill:

Magic Accuracy - FFXIclopedia - a Wikia Gaming wiki

There is probably a dCHR inflection point above which the effectiveness of +CHR is halved, and there is probably an inflection point (assumed 200 by the referenced document) at which skill is only worth 90%. Therefore, the idea is to hit this cap with both CHR and Skill and thereafter focus on Skill > CHR.

100 of a given attribute is generally assumed to be the "cap" everyone seems to shoot for on everything else. I probably wouldn't try pushing it much past 110 even if I was being liberal.

Assuming inflection of skill, the Demon Helm is worth 5 * 0.9 = 4.5 Magic Accuracy.

Uninflected, the Opo-opo crown is worth 7 * 0.5 = 3.5 Magic Accuracy or 7 * 0.25 = 1.75 MAcc inflected. Of course, I'm not sure if the inflection point affects MAcc or just MAtk, so if it doesn't it's always 3.5, but it doesn't matter since the horns always give 4.5 MAcc.

You can also eat Tavnazian Tacos while wearing the horns... which (among other things) gives you CHR+4. Therefore, with horns, you get +5 skill and + 4 CHR whereas with the crown, you only get CHR+7.

Horns = Win

Sorry they're not as fashionable.
    Last edited by Sabaron; 02-22-2008, 12:31 PM.

Comment

Forget the helms, get a Mary's Horn and an Apollo Staff if you're really worried about Lullaby sticking. The rest of the gear is window dressing in comparison.

Icemage

Comment

Originally posted by Icemage View Post
        Forget the helms, get a Mary's Horn and an Apollo Staff if you're really worried about Lullaby sticking. The rest of the gear is window dressing in comparison.

Icemage

I had assumed the Mary's Horn and a Light Staff minimal, but you know what happens when one assumes.

Comment

Originally posted by Icemage View Post

Icemage
          That is the correct answer, for several reasons, mostly due to the fact that most of your skill+ pieces will be Wind+, that combined with Wind Instrument's innate accuracy bonus compared to Stringed will see alot more accuracy. And yes, Apollo's Staff will make a rather large difference, I have yet to see a single Lullaby resist in meripo since picking mine up.

However, given the rest of your setup, the adjustments I'd make for a debuff set:

Use the Demon's Helm until you can get ahold of Bard's Roundlet or Marduk's Tiara. Swap the Minstrel's Coat for an Errant Houppelande(I would still use the Minstrel's for casting party buffs if you don't have a Yigit Gomlek/Sha'ir Manteel, but 10 CHR in one slot is a boatload, and it will do more for you debuffs than the 3 skill). If you are close to finishing ToAU missions Balhran's Ring is a great addition as well, even more so in Assault/Salvage when the latent bonuses are active.
          Callysto of RamuhCaithsith - 75 RDM / BRD / COR / PLD / WAR / SCH / DRK

Formerly Callisto of Ramuh. | Retired 5.28.10

Callisto Broadwurst of Palamecia

Comment

Thank you all for the input! I'm camping Mary right now in hopes of a horn.

Comment

Originally posted by Rinoki View Post
              Thank you all for the input! I'm camping Mary right now in hopes of a horn.
              Good luck with camping! ^^b

Personally my experience in meripo is that it's more practical to be able to cast songs faster and more often than to stick Lullaby. Plus if your merit party is good they'll be killing so fast that you won't need to sleep anything. Just time your pulls to match the speed your party is fighting.
              Host of irc.gamesurge.net #FF14 - TheAfterLife XI & XIV LS
              Olorin (Ramuh): BLM75 BRD78 WHM75 RDM75
              Olorin Branwen (Melmond): Lv12 LNC9 CON7 THM6 MNR6 ALC4

Comment

Working...
              X