Pulling as BRD/BLU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pulling as BRD/BLU

Hi im Selphiie of the Odin server new to the forums.

75 Bard/37 White Mage

I used to TP burn (since thats the only invite i can get at 75 is for meripo pulling unfortunately, i had to conform)

I leveled ninja to 37 for it, and bought a Minstrel's ring for 500k for the -25% spellcasting, however no matter how many times i tell mages in my party not to cure me unless im in the red they still do it anyway.

I have /rdm to 37 for pulling to for the fast cast, phalanx, and curing myself when i need it so i tell the mages not to worry about curing me at all.

I have also tried /blu, I have cocoon for pulling for DEF+ because i want to get hit because of my minstrels ring, i can also set spells for +CHR to land sleeps and elegys, and have magic fruit to watch after my own HP.

Tried the question on KI but got flames instead of opinions, so yeah, what do you think about BRD/BLU for pulling?
    62Dancer | 75Corsair | 75Beastmaster | 75Paladin | 75Bard

Your resource for FFXI Farming

Re: Pulling as BRD/BLU

I think if you can make it work, have at it. Most BRD just sub NIN because it's easier/safer, and because they rarely need the spells WHM provides. But if you don't need the shadows, then I don't see why you shouldn't sub something else.

Comment

Why not carry gears to adjust HP? (I know a lot of BLMs do that with Sorcerer's Ring, with has the same activation condition.)

If someone over cures, hit your HP adjustment macros, and you'd be at the right level again. Put in /p 75% HP = â—€Yes, please.â–¶, too?
      Bamboo shadows sweep the stars,
      yet not a mote of dust is stirred;
      Moonlight pierces the depths of the pond,
      leaving no trace in the water.

- Mugaku

Comment

Originally posted by IfritnoItazura View Post
        Why not carry gears to adjust HP? (I know a lot of BLMs do that with Sorcerer's Ring, with has the same activation condition.)

If someone over cures, hit your HP adjustment macros, and you'd be at the right level again. Put in /p 75% HP = â—€Yes, please.â–¶, too?
        Yeah, im actually working on a HP setup atm, pigeon earrings and a bomb queen ring, etc. But until then i have to work with what i have.

What else besides those for bard?
        62Dancer | 75Corsair | 75Beastmaster | 75Paladin | 75Bard

Your resource for FFXI Farming

Comment

Real BRD players would know better, but as a mostly mage player, all I can think of are those HP -> MP conversion gears--slap on an Astral Ring or two, lose HP, then swap them out for real BRD rings, etc.

Edit:
          Since you're BRD75, try to obtain some of the Dalmatica Set? Lot's of HP -> MP conversion there.

- Mugaku

Comment

I would never use BRD/BLU in a pulling situation. Sure, you can cast Coccoon once every couple of minutes comfortably, but expecting to get hit when pulling is like expecting to die.

The extra CHR is not a factor in XP/merit situations - you need minimal gear to guarantee that songs land.

The rest of the blue magic arsenal just isn't terribly useful. Metallic Body is a poor man's Stoneskin, absorbing miniscule amounts of damage with a very long cast timer. You could set Sheep Song + Healing Breeze for Auto-Regen, but at that point you might as well just /WHM and be done with it.

If you're keen on activating a Minstrel's Ring, HP>MP gear is the way to go. Zenith gear, Astral/Serket/Vivian Ring, Morganna's Choker, Black Cotehardie, Star Necklace, etc.

Icemage

Comment

Knowing Selphiie and the merit camps she prefers, I personally don't see a problem with the subjob, just about every time I've meritted with her, its not really been MJSP or Thickets colibri anyway. Odin merit camps get packed fast, so we're kinda forced to spread out

I think the advice given in regards to HP/MP swap gear might be the best solution, though some healers will always just compulsively top your HP off.

Comment

Originally posted by Omgwtfbbqkitten View Post
                I think the advice given in regards to HP/MP swap gear might be the best solution, though some healers will always just compulsively top your HP off.
                Macro those; anytime you want to adjust HP, hit one macro for adjustment gear, and another back to real BRD gear.

That's all how the BLMs I've seen do it, anyway. (I accidentally over-cured a BLM in Limbus tonight, and he quickly shed the extra HP like that. heh.)

- Mugaku

Comment

Originally posted by Selphiie The Enchantress View Post
                  Yeah, im actually working on a HP setup atm, pigeon earrings and a bomb queen ring, etc. But until then i have to work with what i have.

What else besides those for bard?
                  Zenith gear, if you can procure it.. I know you said you don't do Sky events.. so try:

Serket or Ether Rings
                  Any Astral gear
                  Physical Earring?

On-topic, My BLU is only 14 so I've yet to try it as a sub for anything. Never heard about BRD/BLU before, but I have heard DRG/BLU is a powerhouse!
                  Host of irc.gamesurge.net #FF14 - TheAfterLife XI & XIV LS
                  Olorin (Ramuh): BLM75 BRD78 WHM75 RDM75
                  Olorin Branwen (Melmond): Lv12 LNC9 CON7 THM6 MNR6 ALC4

Comment

Working...
                  X