Colibri and Elegy Resists

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colibri and Elegy Resists

Is it just me or are these things really hard to stick an Elegy on? I must fail at LEAST 50% of the time, even with Earth Staff and capped singing/instrument skill..
    Host of irc.gamesurge.net #FF14 - TheAfterLife XI & XIV LS
    Olorin (Ramuh): BLM75 BRD78 WHM75 RDM75
    Olorin Branwen (Melmond): Lv12 LNC9 CON7 THM6 MNR6 ALC4

Re: Colibri and Elegy Resists

They are a nightmare to land much of anything on, to be honest.

Comment

They're wind base too.
      There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot,
      but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence
      transform a yellow spot into the sun.

- Pablo Picasso

Comment

Luckily, I never had to deal with this. However, my wife is leveling BRD (68 now) and has mentioned that she ocassionally fails on them. Considering the fact that her gear is beyond exceptional (Torque, Singing+Wind Earring, Terra's Staff, Minstrel's Coat, ton of CHR filler in other slots), I'd say you're not alone.
        A Day in the Life of a Taru

Comment

They have very high earth and insane wind resistance. Paralyze lands pretty well, being ice-based, but Elegy and Slow are both extremely unreliable against Colibri of all types.

Icemage

Comment

Originally posted by Icemage View Post
            They have very high earth and insane wind resistance. Paralyze lands pretty well, being ice-based, but Elegy and Slow are both extremely unreliable against Colibri of all types.
            Icemage
            I should also probably add that I haven't ONCE landed Requiem, which makes me think they have very high Light and/or Dark resistance.

Comment

Requiem is horribly inaccurate against almost everything, light-resistant or otherwise. I've not tried Requiem against Colibri, but it's also very possible that they have unusually high CHR which would make it harder to land. P.S. Don't use it against any of the larger Colibri types... Lesser Colibri don't mimic magics thrown at them, but "Colibri" and "Greater Colibri" most definitely do, and you really don't want a 6 damage+/tick effect on you if you can at all avoid it.

Icemage

Comment

Don't feel bad, I think I fired a stack of acid bolts on various lesser colibri, all told from 56-60 and I think I might have gotten one to actually proc.
                So, you bards aren't alone.
                I RNG 75 I WAR 37 I NIN 38 I SAM 50 I Woodworking 92+2

PSN: Caspian

Comment

they have resistance to all elements but ice.
                  Dig A10; Main: Bonecraft 100+3/subs: 60/Fishing 59.7
                  Mules: Cooking 100+3/Alchemy 77.7

http://www.youtube.com/Ayrlie

Comment

I thought it was just simple magic resistance in any form. Meritting on them, I could stick elegy for a short time (but the reflected it on me). They lullabied just fine, though.

When I was xping on NIN on the littler ones, I couldn't land one enfeeble. RDM struggled as well, but enjoyed curing the mob so it would reflect and cure me.

Comment

Couldn't you do the earth resistance down song (I forget the name) and then use elegy?
                      "The man who has no imagination has no wings." -Muhammad Ali
                      Jobs: Drk 60 | War 37 | Thf 33 | Mnk 30 | Rng 16 | Nin 20 | Whm 18 | Blm 17 | Smn 20 | Sam 37 | Brd 7 | Drg 10 | Pld 11 | Rdm 17 | Pup 35 |

Comment

Originally posted by simonjm2 View Post
                        Couldn't you do the earth resistance down song (I forget the name) and then use elegy?
                        The only problem with that is.. Colibris are Wind-based and have a high tolerance to Earth-based magic anyways.

Oh and an update - I partied a couple days ago and we camped the regular Colibris. Without food (CHR 60+26), I couldn't land ANYTHING. So I pulled out a stack of Flint Caviar and the extra CHR+4 put me over the top. I imagine I would've gotten the same benefit from Enchanting Etude, but I didn't want to have to recast it every time we pulled. :p

Also, anything that was reflected back to me didn't stick (probably because my CHR was through the roof).

Comment

Pretty much just elaborating on what Olorin said: Earth Threnody is wind based, so Colibris will resist it even harder than Elegy. I suppose you could use Wind Threnody (ice based) to reduce its resistance to Earth Threnody to reduce its resistance to Elegy, but being a Colibri it'd probably be dead by the time you went through all that anyway.
                          lagolakshmi on Guildwork :: Lago Aletheia on Lodestone

Comment

I've never had this problem that I recall, currently a 65 Bard, been pulling on Lesser Colibri since ~55, I can't recall if I had problems at first, but from atleast 56+ I hardly got resists.

I almost never get a resist on the regular Colibri either, which I've been camping at since around 61 to my current level. The worry was not landing the spells, but having them cast back at me, which wasn't that big an issue since slow doesn't hurt me much as a bard, even with slow on my songs were ready to cast again when they wore. This being said, I stopped bothering with blink to avoid this when I noticed I was resisting these reflected casts 9/10 times.

Foe Lullaby and Foe Requiem resisted more often, but I was also casting them less, I pulled every time with Elegy, and since they pause for a sec to cast back on me, my parties usually kill the previous one without me needing to sleep it. If I time my pull right, it casts on me and gets back to camp just to get voked.

My setup isn't that great, I have currently 65 + 37 Cha, don't use food since I usually forget it and usually don't need it(not good, I know). +5 singing from af and +3 Wind from af also. No other skill mods, but they are capped, and standard +1 instruments everyone uses, Earth Staff.

Not sure what's so different that I'm not having problems, while on my thf against Lesser Colibri I did notice another bard having problems, but he had less cha gear, and did not have an Earth Staff, so I chalked it up to that at the time.

Comment

Oh yeah.. I switched from Earth to Terra's Staff about a week ago (they went down in price a little bit I got one for about 800k).. and the difference is AMAZING. That extra 5% boost really helps a lot!

Comment

Working...
                              X