• A wish for a Bard Update

Friends, Vana’ Dielians, Bards, lend me your ears;
    I come to bury an Idea, not to praise them;
    The evil that SquareEnix has done, lives after we retire,
    Though the good is oft interréd with their bones,
    So let it be with SquareEnix…. The noble Bards
    Hath told you SquareEnix was Slacking:
    If it were so, it was Spot on.
    And grievously hath SquareEnix answered it….
    Here, under leave of the Bards and the rest,
    (For the Bards are a Spoony Job,
    So are they all; all Spoony indeed)
    Come I to offer an idea.
    We love our Songs, We play them daily,
    But the Bards say We need to hear Different tunes.
    And Bards are a Spoony Job….
    We hath brought many Paeons to the party,
    Whose Melody did the Black Mages MP Bar fill:
    Did this in SquareEnix seem Lacking?
    When Bards have cried, SquareEnix should hath wept:
    Our Songs should be made of sterner stuff:
    Yet The Ninja says {Mambo} {Can I have it};
    And the Bard is a Spoony Job.
    You all did see that our Songs are dull and boring
    I thrice have played a different song,
    Which I did thrice receive the same Tune?
    Yet the White Mage says {Balad} {Please};
    And, sure, We are a Spoony Job.
    I speak not to Discredit SquareEnix,
    But here I am to speak what I do know.
    We all love our Job, not without cause:
    What cause withholds you then to mourn for it?
    O judgment! thou art fled to brutish beasts,
    And We have lost our reason…. Bear with me;
    My heart is in the coffer there with Our Old Tunes,
    And I must pause till we get some New ONES!.

Any way… Am I the only bard that finds it odd, that every song we play sounds the exact same? I mean sure there ARE three different tunes. Those being String, Wind, and Singing, But I would like to get a different Tune for Every song. I wouldn’t mind them using the same tune for Paeon 1-5, but I don’t want to hear the same tune for Paeon as Madrigal. Is anyone else with me? May be if we make a big enough stink about it, in the next expansion we can get an Update.
    Kuura
    Windurst Rank 5
    <[75 White Mage retired]> ((May she rest in piece))
    Originally posted by Dictionary.com
    spoon·y also spoon·ey ( P ) Pronunciation Key (spn)
    adj. spoon·i·er, spoon·i·est
    1. Enamored in a silly or sentimental way.
    2. Feebly sentimental; gushy.

Re: A wish for a Bard Update

i'd like some new sounds to bard songs, too. even if it's only on pc. just because the ps2 can't handle as much as we'd like doesn't mean we all have to suffer, right? XD

it'd be nice to have, but i think se should fix the economy next.

ionia of Cait Sith! 75 RDM, 75 THF
    Plotting World Domination and doing silly emotes on a server probably not near you!
    I live to entertain!

Comment

It'd be nice, but there's probably a limitation in how much music can be loaded at a time (music tends to eat up quite a lot of memory, unless you're reading it from storage media like the hard drive or a CD).

Not saying it can't be done, mind, as I'm not familiar with the specifics of programming on the PS2, but I'd be willing to wager that has something to do with it.

For what it's worth, I do think it'd be nice to hear different tunes for each bard song, but as mentioned above, there's way more important things to address.

Icemage

Comment

it would be just a nice little side update apart if they manage to get time to fit it in between the important issues x]... for the size issues, low quality .midis ftw! (hehe old school ff!) ;p

... id rather get a more useful job trait/ability though ;p

Comment

It's a nice thought...

...but with our luck, Mage's Ballad would sound horrible, while the coolest music would go to Herb Pastoral or some other stupid song we never use.
          All Nations: Rank 10
          Rise of the Zilart: Complete
          Chains of Promathia: Complete
          75 BRD/75 WHM/75 BLM/75 MNK/75 RDM/57 DRK/40 THF/39 WAR/37 NIN & SMN/All the rest < 37

What to level next? (DRK!)

Comment

ROFL

Unfortunately, I have to agree with UnnamedGalka's grasp of irony.

I was hoping that if BRD ever got an update it would either be a 5 minute ability that allowed you to add a 3rd song or a 10 minute ability that allowed you to affect everyone--party/alliance/NPC's/Passersby--with a song.
            4 out of 3 people have a problem with fractions. . .

Comment

Or maybe a trait that cut off the casting time of songs ; ;

Comment

it would be nice if each instrument had 3 tunes at random it would keep us guessing and still not be as annoying

Comment

Originally posted by aegina
                  i'd like some new sounds to bard songs, too. even if it's only on pc. just because the ps2 can't handle as much as we'd like doesn't mean we all have to suffer, right? XD

it'd be nice to have, but i think se should fix the economy next.
                  In all honesty there isn't a hole lot that can be done about the ecconomy. That is what happens when you put players incharge of the ecconomy. About the only thing they could do is to make ALL rare drops 100% garenteed and have the mobs on like a 5 in respawn... but that would hurt the game more than help the economy.
                  Kuura
                  Windurst Rank 5

Comment

ALL rare drops 100% drops AND all mobs a 5 minute respawn? isn't that a little extreme?

not meaning to derail the thread here, but i'm sure se can think of less... world-destroyingly, overzealous ways to fix the economy. XD a drastic shift like that would do more harm than good, which is why se hasn't done it yet.

a simple adjustment to the items npc's sell (including the guildstores), a change in the success rates of certain crafts, etc, would make a big difference...

to be honest, i don't think making more drops rare/ex would change the economic problems in itself. the price of the boots and hairpin keeps going up and up, even though those are available as a rare/ex item. of course, they also aren't 100% drop, cuz if everyone had one, it would be worthless...

and yes, i like the idea of giving each instrument 3 different random tunes. that would make bard songs a lot more interesting. 9ish extra files in memory shouldnt crash the ps2 lol.

edit:

but, in a way, you're right. i don't think the economy is going to be fixed without a big change of some kind or another...
                    Last edited by aegina; 12-09-2005, 06:06 AM.

ionia of Cait Sith! 75 RDM, 75 THF
                    Plotting World Domination and doing silly emotes on a server probably not near you!
                    I live to entertain!

Comment

That was an amazing post! XD

And i agree.. too too roo too too roo too too tooooo... too too too roo too too too too too roo too too... is getting annoying =P
                      signatures are for pussies mew mew mew, here's mine

Comment

Originally posted by aegina
                        ALL rare drops 100% drops AND all mobs a 5 minute respawn? isn't that a little extreme?

not meaning to derail the thread here, but i'm sure se can think of less... world-destroyingly, overzealous ways to fix the economy. XD a drastic shift like that would do more harm than good, which is why se hasn't done it yet.

a simple adjustment to the items npc's sell (including the guildstores), a change in the success rates of certain crafts, etc, would make a big difference...

to be honest, i don't think making more drops rare/ex would change the economic problems in itself. the price of the boots and hairpin keeps going up and up, even though those are available as a rare/ex item. of course, they also aren't 100% drop, cuz if everyone had one, it would be worthless...

and yes, i like the idea of giving each instrument 3 different random tunes. that would make bard songs a lot more interesting. 9ish extra files in memory shouldnt crash the ps2 lol.

edit:

but, in a way, you're right. i don't think the economy is going to be fixed without a big change of some kind or another...
                        ok so mayhaps i took it a little to far... it was kind of a selfish request... I just wanted Marys Horn
                        >.>
                        <.<
                        but anyway I still want new tunes

Double Post Edited:
                        Originally posted by Balfree
                        That was an amazing post! XD

And i agree.. too too roo too too roo too too tooooo... too too too roo too too too too too roo too too... is getting annoying =P
                        Indeed it does get old rather quick.
                        Thank you, I borrowed the context from one of my favorite speeches of all time. ^.^ Remembering it was the hard pert >.>
                        Last edited by Palin2222; 12-09-2005, 08:20 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                        Kuura
                        Windurst Rank 5

Comment

Not sure what color font you used on the first post, but it doesn't show up at all on the dark theme for the forums. I could read it by highlighting, but you might want to avoid it.

A problem though is the ps2 has rediculously little ram. So it is not feasible to keep very much music loaded and ready. Grabbing it from the hard drive each time is too slow for gaming needs. It would be nice to have a few different sound bites, but there are other updates I would prefer before they tried that. I just listen to internet radio while playing anyway, so I don't even hear the ffxi noise.
                          Whm 75 Blm 37 Brd 75 | Bastok Rank 10 | Whm > Rdm

Comment

Originally posted by Rones
                            Not sure what color font you used on the first post, but it doesn't show up at all on the dark theme for the forums. I could read it by highlighting, but you might want to avoid it.
                            The color was black. but my backgroud is white...
                            Kuura
                            Windurst Rank 5

Comment

the idea is nice
                              sometimes our TS is sooo boring, that they start siniging the brd songs, some more would be fine and more interesting ^^
                              Monchichie

Ayumie

Comment

Working...
                              X