This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battlebard Questions

I would like to go the battlebard route, because the mp given to me as an elvaan plain out sucks. i was planing on going /nin when i hit 24, but would this be a good idea? i just need some input, here. my friend is an awesome brd/nin.... She tanked Decurio I-III for my DRG's af1 weapon.

Gil Sellers Suck Ass!
    And you, wich Final Fantasy character do you resemble?

Please, for the love of god, don't do that.

MP isn't a problem as an elvaan. If you use some RSE, astrals, and hairpins, you shouldn't have a problem. Since BRDs have virtually no hate, they can put up curagas mid battle. You can Melee every once and a while, but please, not all the time. I was in a party with a JP bard, who was meleeing, and not giving me Ballad, then had the fortitude to call me an amateur WHM because I was resting too long -_-.

If you want weapons capped, join a skill up party. When BRDs melee (most that I've partied with that melee), they tend to forget the mages buffs.

Also, 51+ you should be using a Light staff (Apollo's staff if possible) because it will lengthen the effect of all songs (HQ one lengthens effect more.) Also, your curagas will count more becuase of the Healing +10% on it.

I plan to do BRD too, after I get WHM to 75.
    Rodin - Ragnarok Server (Out of Retirement)
    90BRD 90SMN 90WHM 75BLM 75RDM 61BST 50RNG 37NIN 37THF

Goal: All jobs max level and capped merits.

Comment

Arcanaster is right about the battle bard; don't do it. All you'll do is give the monster extra TP to beat down more on your tank. Early levels, sure, but I wouldn't do it past Valkrum.

As for a light staff increasing song duration, I've never heard of that before. It's been proven to increase your chances to land Foe Requium and Lullaby, but I don't recall anyone ever saying anything about it increasing your song length. Only + instruments can do that.
      WAR - 26
      MNK - 11
      WHM - 37
      BLM - 20
      THF - 52
      BRD - 75
      BST - 26
      NIN - 48

Comment

Light staff improves the accuracy of Foe Requiem, Lullaby, and Dark Threnody, and so in that sense, does make them last longer, on average, but it does not affect their base duration in any way.

Just as a note: All races get horrible MP from mage sub when playing bard. I get no significant advantage from being Tarutaru vs. a Galka bard; in fact, the only difference is a handful of CHR and a few *hundred* HP.

Icemage

Comment

Majority of your mp as a brd/whm comes from gear, so being elvaan instead of taru won't matter much for mp. For exp parties, don't try to go as a 'battle bard'. Brd/nin works for a few non exp nm fights because of the nin blink, but is competly worthless during exp. You won't have much time for meleeing anyway if you are doing your job right. I sometimes get 10-20 seconds of melee in at the end of fights. :sweat:
          Whm 75 Blm 37 Brd 75 | Bastok Rank 10 | Whm > Rdm

Comment

oh god no.

Thanks Yyg!

Comment

As far as EXP goes...

DO NOT SUB NIN

DO NOT MELEE

Trust me, your PT will hate you if you do either of these things.
              All Nations: Rank 10
              Rise of the Zilart: Complete
              Chains of Promathia: Complete
              75 BRD/75 WHM/75 BLM/75 MNK/75 RDM/57 DRK/40 THF/39 WAR/37 NIN & SMN/All the rest < 37

What to level next? (DRK!)

Comment

When you reach the higher levels... you're gonna be wishing you had more spare time. Running back and forth, singing Minuet/March for the Melees, Prelude for Rangers, Ballad I/II for Mages... Elegy the mob, Lullaby adds, assist Cure and Erase/-Na spells... BRDs got it tough.
                Sony NW-E507 [wishlist]

Comment

Not to mention pull duty when you reach the 70s.
                  WAR - 26
                  MNK - 11
                  WHM - 37
                  BLM - 20
                  THF - 52
                  BRD - 75
                  BST - 26
                  NIN - 48

Comment

Originally posted by _11of8
                    Not to mention pull duty when you reach the 70s.

Pull duty?

Comment

pull the next mob before the party finishes off the current one and keep it slept until the party is ready to take it on. rinse and repeat for XP chains ++

Thanks Yyg!

Comment

Originally posted by neighbortaru
                        pull the next mob before the party finishes off the current one and keep it slept until the party is ready to take it on. rinse and repeat for XP chains ++

Ahh, I see....I'm used to RNGs, THFs, and the occasional PLD pulling. I never thought a BRD would be pulling. Now I guess I should get a Mary's horn >_<

Comment

Just use the lvl 60 +2 lullaby harp when you reach the upper lvls. It's very cheap.
                          Whm 75 Blm 37 Brd 75 | Bastok Rank 10 | Whm > Rdm

Comment

Originally posted by Rones
                            Just use the lvl 60 +2 lullaby harp when you reach the upper lvls. It's very cheap.

Meh, I'm going to have to buy one anyways. My LS likes to do BCNM 40s (that aren't the worms), and I'll be going a lot since my LS only has two bards, going to be three when a friend starts leveling it. I basically just quit WHM, and am selling about 2mil worth of stuff. I'm going to PL BRD to 75 as soon as possible.
                            My endgame Equip is going to look something like this:

Head: Faerie Hairpin
                            Body: Minstrels Coat (until my HNMLS can do Vrtra)
                            Hands: Sha'ir
                            Neck: Star Necklace
                            Ear: Melody Earrings +1
                            Back: Jester's Cape +1
                            Waist: Gleeman's Belt
                            Rings: Astrals
                            Legs: Sha'ir
                            Feet: Sha'ir

I'll be using an HQ light staff for songs, and a Joyeuse for soloing at engame levels. When I get my BRD to 70 my HNMLS will camp Char with me. They're also getting me a Minstrel's coat when my BRD is 62.

Some ppl think OMFG...why the hairpin? I think more MP helps BRDs better, seeing as how we make excellent backup healers. CHR won't be too low, and I'll be able to land my debuffs with the HQ light staff, so who cares. Just wanted to clear that up.

About instruments....I'm going +1 as much as I can, I know some are hard to get on my server, but I don't care, I'll farm as much as needed.

Comment

sub DRK if you want to melee.
                              Wandering Minstrel~

Comment

Working...
                              X