This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carol uses?

Well, I bought three of the Carols simply because they are some of the cooler looking spells, but is there any use for them? Have you ever used them in an XP party? What about special situations like BC's or something?

Just wondering if I should buy any more. I have the first three, earth, water and light but I'd rather not spend 5-6k on something that I'll only use to make the party go "ooooooohhhh!!!"
    ---

Use them against avatars and elements, and any BCNM's with smn type NMs that use astral flow (sometimes you cant cast quick enough). You use fire carol against nin type mobs in dynamis too. Light carol is useful against the NM that drops carby mitts. You can also stack carols and status bar songs like aubade/capriccio/pastoral to further resist some status ailments, but id only use that for maybe ballista or when entering a BCNM. You can also use water carol at the start of bcnm40 to hopefully counteract any dmg done by flood if youre so unlucky.

They have pretty limited uses plus theyre weaker than actual bar spells. But they do have plenty of use in those situations. Dark and Light carol are pretty unique. Whms and rdms dont get a bar spell for either of those elements.
    /ja "poop pants" me

My Character!

Tu'Lia is COOL!

Comment

Carols also help too with the new Dragons. Well mainly Jorm and Tiamat. Unless you trust your BLMs to stun every Firaga, but then you still have Fire Blast to worry about.

Comment

Overall they've struck me as being pretty situational - and the fact is, unless you know that nasty elemental attack is coming, you often won't have enough time to actually sing the song before the special attack / massive spell / blast of nasty dragon breath hits you.

Although I did manage to drop Wind Carol on our puller once right before an Antican Signifier nuked him with Tornado during a pull - actually let the poor taru THF survive the attack instead of being turned into a smear on the ground, so I think that's worth the price of admission, personally. But like with most of your songs, they're useful to have, but not something you'll use constantly.
        ~~~Rune Grey~~~
        Bard 67/WHM33 Bastok Rank 8
        All AF [x]

Genkai 1 - 4 = Complete!
        Current Zilart Mission=14
        Sky Pass=Obtained!

Comment

46-48 Jungle closed to Ifrit Counldron Zone

Used it once in exp PT during 46-48 fighting Gobbies new Ifrit Counldron Zone.. the Gobbies suicidal and love to self destruct at the beginning yielding very good exp but also cost massive damage and potential ALL DEATH when do suicidal bomb toss at the beginning... getting Fire Carol is almost cruical along with bar fira for this camp... but otherwise this is an EXCELLENT camp spot...

Might also want to do the same for my lvl range right now at 62-64 at bibiki beach for gobbie ^^
          Brd 67/ Whm 42 / Blm 26
          Clothcraft 72.0

Comment

Most of the time, I find that just casting bar-spell from your WHM sub is better than loosing a song you could be casting instead.

I think If I cast barfire, I get around 60 def, but if the whm casts it, there is around 80 def. That's a big difference, but not enough to loose a song over.

Comment

one other use is light carol against that lightblade using duke in ZM8... i think that safed us quite a lot esp since there is no bar-lightra
              Brd 67/ Whm 42 / Blm 26
              Clothcraft 72.0

Comment

I know Soul Voice + Dark Carol saved my PT's ass when we got hit with Fenrir's Howling Moon.
                All Nations: Rank 10
                Rise of the Zilart: Complete
                Chains of Promathia: Complete
                75 BRD/75 WHM/75 BLM/75 MNK/75 RDM/57 DRK/40 THF/39 WAR/37 NIN & SMN/All the rest < 37

What to level next? (DRK!)

Comment

Also keep in mind that a Carol with Crumhorn +1 and matching barspell, just from the Bard alone, with kick your elemental resistance up to over 100 (about 102 in my case) with no other elemental resistance added from gear. As long as you have a chance to prep and know a powerful elemental attack is coming, you can pretty much always resist it.

But again, this goes with my comment about how situational your carol spells are. Great for BCNM style fights, not so great in XP parties where you're using other spells to improve party efficiency overall.
                  ~~~Rune Grey~~~
                  Bard 67/WHM33 Bastok Rank 8
                  All AF [x]

Genkai 1 - 4 = Complete!
                  Current Zilart Mission=14
                  Sky Pass=Obtained!

Comment

Not sure how useful the elemental carols are, to be honest. As WHM 75, my Bar-element spells add 126 elemental defense with capped enhancing magic and AF2 pants. It'd be higher if I get around to getting the Blessed Briault. Light and Dark Carols are both quite useful, however, in the cases when you know what you're getting hit with (Fenrir, Archduke, Carby Mitts, etc.).

Icemage

Comment

Working...
                    X