This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Maxim
    And, as far as equipment changing macro goes, I believe there needs to be a "< me>" at the end of the command line, no? It's been a long time since I've played Bard. [/B]
    Nope. There doesn't need to be a < me > at the end of the macro.
    However, make sure you spell the instruments name exactly right. Capitals and all, otherwise it can be a pain and the instrument won't switch at all.

As far as subbing RDM or WHM, I'd say deffinitely go for WHM, the more I think about it.
    As Maxim stated, you'd want Raise. Also, with the new level cap, I believe WHM subs will be able to use the teleport spells, so you're usefullness will be bumped up another notch.
    BLM : 29 / BRD : 41 / WHM : 11 / PLD : 25 / WAR : 14 / DRK : 17

Comment

Just some comments about races that perhaps you should consider adding/changing.
      Tarus do have more mp, but because it is in effect sub mp the differences between races is relatively marginal compared to main mages (sub mp sux so bad later on). With hume RSE and other race RSE, the other races have a definite mp advantage until bards start wearing AF (although AF stats are sort of bleh in my opinion)
      Elvaans and Galkas have a definite advantage hp wise (and galka vit wise) for doing BCNM events that require area sleep. You *will* get hit for these and having the extra hp/vit is a large advantage. Going in with a taru BRD can be almost scary. In fact, if I chose any race for a BCNM event that required area lullaby Galka would probably be my number 1 choice as odd as that may sound.
      Also about CHR differences, one thing I learned s urprised me. The difference between CHR as my BST between a galka and hume at level 60 was only 8 (like 15%). This is an insignificant difference considering the amount of +CHR items for BRDs (60+ brds can get to 100+ charisma with items which is just crazy).

For equipment I suggest you keep +chr items for lullaby and then +mp for other stuff. I have only seen +chr effect lullaby resists and nothing else that I have tested (perhaps stuff like requiem/slow is resisted more but these are much less important)
      Still trying to play way too much...
      60 BRD, 75 BST, 37 WHM, 15 THF, 16 BLM
      BCNM40 over 100 wins ><
      BCNM60 |] 3-0-1 [|

Pallas - 2/16 (Solo'd at LVL 64)
      Alksomething - 0/8

Comment

I kindof mixed on the AF stats. I was talking to a taiwanese level 70 Bard and they said +1 skill of String, Singing, or Wind is equivalent to +2 CHR. I think that makes sense but I'm not sure how true it is. Does anyone know further info on this?

Our AF boots and hat suck
        I'm Wrong!

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Lavarien
          I don't play FFXI yet (waiting on my computer), but I want to play a Bard, so I've been looking up information. Nice guide, but a quick question...

Lv 10-20: (Valkurm Days)...

Lv 20-30: (Quifim Days)...quote]

What does "(XXXX Days)" mean?

Is that the areas in which you hunted? If so, did you start in San'Doria, Bastok, or Windurst?

Thanks.
          Those are the names of the places the majority of people go to in order to level. Of course there are other places, but I am just naming the most popular one.

Thanks for your help guys, I added some of your information, and edited some as well.
          | SMN 75 | BRD 75 | WHM 37 | RDM 37 | BLM 37 | THF 37
          Zenith Armor: 5/5 (Complete)
          Bard AF2 Armor: 3/5
          Summoner AF2 Armor: 5/5 (Complete)

Comment

The chr items you listed, could you also say where they are from? I know that the bird whistle and monster signa are from Giddeus but I'm clueless where you find the other items
            19 RDM | 10 WHM

Comment

This FAQ is absolutely wonderful.

But FYI the historically accurate bards were not really musicians or minstrels.

They were more like walking newspapers and universities. They carried news from village to village on all matters, reported on politics, battles, etc.. They memorized all laws and codes and acted as wandering lawyers. They were by custom immune to the local lords and could say anything they wanted. And just like papers have an entertainment section & comics they could sing and entertain.

Their business was really, simply to know everything there was to know (easier done back then).

Comment

Nice one Chibs. Stickied.

Comment

Even though you lose –na spells, you gain the Low-Mp cost Enfeebling Spells such as Blind and Poison.
                  Question, since Bards have no innate magic skill do the RDM enfeeble spells land in any way? I hear that even WHMs have a hard time landing their own debuffs at max skill. I've read about people going /RDM for Dispel, but would this ever land since it's Enfeeble magic?

Erase is listed as Heal magic, so these kind of spells on a /WHM would actually work.

And i guess a similar question for subbing /NIN because of MP free magics, would the Ninjitsu ever land with such a low skill?

Comment

As you level higher it will exponentially become harder to land enfeebling spells if RDM is subbed. Same goes for Ninja, because those spells are based off of the skill level of Ninjutsu which only Ninja gets (so subbing Ninja will cut the skill level in half just like when you sub RDM).

So no, Dispel won't land at higher levels. Even Red Mages with their Enfeebling skill maxed occasionally have a hard time Dispelling spells like Enchantment Magic and Spike spells off of Elementals whose level is a bit higher than the RDM's and stuff.
                    WAR20 MNK12 WHM28 BLM31 RDM60 THF21 PLD14 DRK20 BST6 BRD42 RNG16 SAM11 NIN40 DRG10 SMN10

Comment

Is there anyway we can get a clarification of the true benefits of having extremely high CHR?

The FAQ made it sound extremely important for a lot of spells, while someone else comes out and says it only helps w/ the enfeebling/threnody type spells not getting resisted.

If there is not a need to wear tons of +CHR items it means more +mana items can be worn.. adding to the total healing we can do for the party.

Comment

Nice job Teffie^^

Comment

quick question - does minuet affect ranged attacks? i.e. ranger with bow?

Comment

Originally posted by Gooden
                            quick question - does minuet affect ranged attacks? i.e. ranger with bow?
                            Minuet Simply Increases the characters ATTACK Stat. You can see what your attack is currently at by looking at your Equipment Screen. I'm not too sure if thats what Affects Ranger's Range Damage, but Im pretty sure it does.

On the other hand though, Blade Madrigal does not affect Rangers Range Accuracy, Hunter's Prelude Does

Comment

I got a question, all the high lvl brds I've seen have a staff like orish weapon why do they have that? CHR boost? and how much? btw nice FAQ.
                              Blm.75 - Whm.56 - Mnk.58 - Rdm.48 - Nin.37 - War.37 - Drk.37

Merits - 98
                              Goldsmith - 85.2

Comment

Originally posted by Rico
                                I got a question, all the high lvl brds I've seen have a staff like orish weapon why do they have that? CHR boost? and how much? btw nice FAQ.
                                Its a Monster's Signa Staff
                                it gives +8 CHR... Highest boosting CHR Weapon in the Game
                                Thats why they use it
                                And with the recent patch, Square-Enix gave Bard's the STAFF Skill, so they don't need to have WHM subbed

Comment

Working...
                                X