Idea: New Job: Chemist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Idea: New Job: Chemist

This may have been suggested before; however, I haven't been able to find any similar posts, so I guess I will post it as my idea here

The concept is pretty simple actually.. Have a new support job that relies on using summoned Rare/Ex/Temp potions. The idea came to me after they added treasure caskets that drop these temporary potions, and realizing there is the potential for a potion using class that will not ruin the alchemy trade skill.

Early levels: The Chemist would begin with the ability to summon the almighty Potion! Perhaps give it a short cool down timer. As the Chemist progresses towards L20-30 they would add other status curing potions to their arsenal such as Antidotes and Eye Drops. A smart chemist would stock up on potions before joining a party, but there is still the 16 slot limit on temporary potions. As for Job Traits, the chemist would receive a trait allowing him or her to use their temporary potions on other party members. Perhaps around L15 that would gain a 10-15 Cool down ability that turns their next potion used into a party effect.

Mid Levels: The chemist would gain access to stronger potions such as Hi-Potions, Ethers, Silent Oil, and Prism Powder. To prevent imbalance issues though, the Ether would have a much longer recast timer. Other job abilities/trait ideas would be something that could increase your potions to +1 or +2.

High Levels: Upon reaching the final levels, a Chemist would be able to summon Daedulus Wings and perhaps even Phoenix Downs with a longer recast than other potions. Combining high level ethers or daedulus wings with the ability to effect entire party, the Chemist would be a welcome support job indeed.

Other stuff: The job would most likely wear light armor and use mainly daggers and staves. They would probably be slightly more heavily armored than a white mage or black mage. They could also possibly have the ability to summon new offensive potions, or mirror their potions to have the opposite of the stated effect on enemies, making them more than a purely defensive support job.

Any comments or further ideas are most welcome!

Re: Idea: New Job: Chemist

Well see, here's the main problem. Depending on how often they get to summon it, it could be gimp or overpowered. If its not very often, then nobody would want to party with them because it wouldnt be reliable enough. If its too often, then there's nothing keeping them from spamming them and overpowering everyone else. It would be too difficult IMO to balance that.

Also, there's a couple other issues. After using a potion there's a bit of a cooldown where you can't do ANYTHING except auto attack.

And finally, know why potions arent used much (other than price)? They suck. A regular potion at level 75, heck, even a hi-potion +2 doesn't do near enough to be effective as anything except maybe a side healer.

Since its all make believe and probably will never happen (also I'm bored), figured I'd critique the idea.
    Red Mage ~ White Mage ~ Summoner ~ Black Mage ~ Beastmaster ~ Samurai ~ Paladin ~ Blue Mage

Windurst-Tarutaru-Ragnarok

Windurst: ★Rank 10★ | San d'Oria: ★Rank 10★ | Bastok: ★Rank 10★
    Zilart: ★The Last Verse★ | Promathia: ★The Last Verse★
    Aht Urhgan: ★Eternal Mercenary★| Assault: ★Captain★
    Goddess: Fate In Haze | Campaign: Moonlight Medal
    Crystalline: ★A Crystalline Prophecy (Fin.)★ | Moogle: ★A Moogle Kupo d'Etat (Fin.)★

Retired.

Comment

It could work if they got some special Chemist only temp potions that are actually useful.

They'd probably need something beyond just what items already exist in game though, otherwise they would just fill the same role as a White Mage. Maybe if they were given the "Mix" ability the job has had in previous FF titles and were able to mix certain potions to either deal some respectable damage or provide some unique buffs to the party.

Either way it seems like if the job were actually implemented it would just be stepping on the toes of other jobs that already fill similar roles in a party.

500 hours in MS paint

Comment

Now that temp items can be used in most zones, it wouldn't really be needed for such a job to have them be R/E. Chemist could be a job that uses tools (instead of materials) to create said items, SE would just have to code the remaining areas that don't have temp items to use them

Problem is, as stated, that we have plenty of healer classes now. Chemist would have to be different in some way. Adding another healer job won't make more people become healers, adding a new tank job won't make people who don't like being tanks want to be them - they have to make something about those existing roles more interesting for people to jump in.

Even then, people who just want to hit stuff will play the jobs that already let them do that.

Comment

A new tank job, now that would be nice.

Comment

Chemist would have these job abilities:

Slowga- Slows all the players using heroin
            Hastega- Hastes all the players using cocaine
            Berserkga- Slows and hastes all the players using heroin and cocain at the same time!
            Charmga- Raises all players charisma by alot using ecstasy.
            Gravityga- casts gravity on all players using marijuana.
            Resetga- Resets players job abilitys using meth.

A new tanking class would be hella nice.

And I thought about a new idea for WHM's: Give them a latent refresh based on TP.

0-33tP they have their 1mp/tic refresh that they have already
            34-66tP they get 2mp/tic
            67-150tP they get 3mp/tic
            150-300tP they get 4mp/tic

maybe some funky bonus when they use a weaponskill like 2 * MND/2 or something...

Comment

Originally posted by Mheezy View Post
              This may have been suggested before
              Yes, I believe it was suggested in a product called Final Fantasy Tactics. It's probably best not to pass of others ideas as your own.
              I use a Mac because I'm just better than you are.

HTTP Error 418 - I'm A Teapot - The resulting entity body MAY be short and stout.

loose

Comment

Original idea was posted here, but I'll post the finished version since it's...well...finished.

Chemist
                "I have a forebrain, my ability to abstract thoughts allow for all kinds of things" - Red Mage 8-Bit theater

Comment

Originally posted by Ziero View Post
                  Original idea was posted here, but I'll post the finished version since it's...well...finished.
                  AHA! I knew I saw that somewhere, but for some reason I couldn't find that post.
                  {New Sig in the works}
                  -----------------------
                  "There will come a day when the world will realize that Superman can no longer create miracles. If my name was Superman, that day would be today." 4/29/2009 - Me

Originally posted by Aksannyi
                  "Hello! 100+3 Leathercrafting, your materials, 5k! Mention code LTH74 for a special discount!" - they'd get blisted by everyone they sent that to.
                  Originally posted by Solymir
                  What do you have against Ants? Is iVirus some new Apple product?

Comment

[quote=ShepardG;825819]Chemist would have these job abilities:

Berserkga- Slows and hastes all the players using heroin and cocain at the same time![/quote]

No, I think Berserkga would be PCP...

Comment

Mhurron, being snide is OK and makes me laugh sometimes specially when people do it on the internets but at least try to look for better opportunities to do it, or go complain about everything and anything people say somewhere else as its starting to get old and stale.

A Chemist could probably be a jack of all trades like BLU, DNC, RDM and SCH but with some twists that could make it unique like all of those jobs. With both SCH and DNC (well, and SAM... ) SE introduced "Stance" abilities that allow you to fill a role without being too over the top when doing so while also allowing you to change that role and quickly become more powerful at something else but at the cost of being less proficient with the other roles.

Chemist could be kind of like that, when using Mix with ... "Red" chemicals he would be able to come up with stuff like explosive potions or toxic potions that damage an enemy or a group of enemies. When using Mix with "Green" chemicals he could make potions that help allies during battle with some buffs, and when using "Blue" chemicals he could focus on healing potions.

Those potions dont really need to be actual items on your inventory theyre essencially just abilities that you can use. You would have to carry Red, Green and Blue chemicals and Vials, very much like ammo these would be used up each time you did something.

How about stuff that's also unique to the Chemist? Like a potion that makes your food last longer, a potion that makes healing spells heal more HP, a potion that gives you hMP+ or hHP+ (Ok that's not so unique but OK), AOE MP recovering potions.
                      signatures are for pussies mew mew mew, here's mine

Comment

Originally posted by Ziero View Post
                        Nice
                        signatures are for pussies mew mew mew, here's mine

Comment

Well like I said, the original post was unfinished, the updated version has a much more detailed array of abilities and such, including some things you mentioned (i.e. a Spell that increases hHP/hMP). But I wanted to stay away from direct MP curing as there's already three jobs who have that covered.
                          "I have a forebrain, my ability to abstract thoughts allow for all kinds of things" - Red Mage 8-Bit theater

Comment

Originally posted by Mheezy View Post
                            This may have been suggested before; however, I haven't been able to find any similar posts, so I guess I will post it as my idea here

The concept is pretty simple actually.. Have a new support job that relies on using summoned Rare/Ex/Temp potions. The idea came to me after they added treasure caskets that drop these temporary potions, and realizing there is the potential for a potion using class that will not ruin the alchemy trade skill.

Early levels: The Chemist would begin with the ability to summon the almighty Potion! Perhaps give it a short cool down timer. As the Chemist progresses towards L20-30 they would add other status curing potions to their arsenal such as Antidotes and Eye Drops. A smart chemist would stock up on potions before joining a party, but there is still the 16 slot limit on temporary potions. As for Job Traits, the chemist would receive a trait allowing him or her to use their temporary potions on other party members. Perhaps around L15 that would gain a 10-15 Cool down ability that turns their next potion used into a party effect.

Mid Levels: The chemist would gain access to stronger potions such as Hi-Potions, Ethers, Silent Oil, and Prism Powder. To prevent imbalance issues though, the Ether would have a much longer recast timer. Other job abilities/trait ideas would be something that could increase your potions to +1 or +2.

High Levels: Upon reaching the final levels, a Chemist would be able to summon Daedulus Wings and perhaps even Phoenix Downs with a longer recast than other potions. Combining high level ethers or daedulus wings with the ability to effect entire party, the Chemist would be a welcome support job indeed.

Other stuff: The job would most likely wear light armor and use mainly daggers and staves. They would probably be slightly more heavily armored than a white mage or black mage. They could also possibly have the ability to summon new offensive potions, or mirror their potions to have the opposite of the stated effect on enemies, making them more than a purely defensive support job.

Any comments or further ideas are most welcome!
                            Also...If they added phoenix downs they should be CHM only and not accessible to /CHM. There should also be other medicines that are CHM only, otherwise it would be tackled and everybody would sub it lol. Also like the idea of the medicines having opposite effects on enemies.
                            {New Sig in the works}
                            -----------------------
                            "There will come a day when the world will realize that Superman can no longer create miracles. If my name was Superman, that day would be today." 4/29/2009 - Me

Originally posted by Aksannyi
                            "Hello! 100+3 Leathercrafting, your materials, 5k! Mention code LTH74 for a special discount!" - they'd get blisted by everyone they sent that to.
                            Originally posted by Solymir
                            What do you have against Ants? Is iVirus some new Apple product?

Comment

Why would Pheonix Downs have to be Chm only? Raise isn't Whm/Rdm/Sch/Pld only. Chemist should be a useful (solo) Subjob while still being a strong main job in it's own right.

Comment

Working...
                              X