Farming jobs/options, ???/thf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Farming jobs/options, ???/thf

Sooo, some other threads on this from 2003, not really answering what I'm wanting though.

Basically I'm looking for a farming job to work on. I want to level some of my crafts, and I like to go out into the field and farm up the items myself. Some of the mobs that I might be farming can be either high level, or just kinda annoyingly high damaging like spiders.

In particular, this made me think about Bst/Thf and Smn/Thf for farming, use the pets to do the majority of my dirty work and eliminate downtime. This has also led me to toy with the thought of farming higher level monsters than I normally would as say, Drg/Thf, in order to get beast/kindred seals. And while I'm sure people will say to play whichever interests you, I'm one of those oddball people who enjoy doing it all, except for ninja tanking, I hate that with a passion -.-

I think I'm leaning more towards trying Bst/Thf for farming. I might be able to pick some of my leveling locations off of what I want to farm, the Rune Axe/lvl 50 JSE sounds like an interesting combo, and if I really needed to I could rest while my pet fights another mob. Besides, it'd also be fun to kick some serious ass with a killer slug in some of the Campaign zones :D

Smn/Thf seems interesting as well, but I'm a little worried about how well Carby could handle some of the mobs I'm interested in fighting.

As a point of reference, the Bark Spiders and the lower level crawlers in the Boyahada Tree are probably the highest level monsters that I'd be farming either as Bst or Smn.

So as I said, I'm thinking Bst/Thf for farming, and I welcome people's input as to what they think.

You have the right to remain silent, anything you say can and will be misqouted and then used against you.

I don't have a big ego, it just has a large mouth.

Re: Farming jobs/options, ???/thf

BST/THF is probably the ultimate farming combo other than a well-geared MNK.

I've tried farming on my WAR and SAM and well, they just can't keep up with my MNK/THF. Now, I've got Destroyers and Dune Boots which speeds things up dramatically (DPS on Destroyers is ridiculous) but there are other comparable weapons for cheap a 75 MNK can use to farm.

Honestly, lv BST. In an area where you have a big level advantage against the local mobs a jug pet will just mow them down.
    sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

If you're really serious about leveling jobs for farming, go 75THF/75BST and grab yourself TH-boosting gear.

If you're farming really weak stuff that tends to gather together, I'd imagine you could try out BLM for the AoEs, at least in theory. Sleepga anything that resisted the first shot, stuff like that.
      Originally posted by Armando
      No one at Square Enix has heard of Occam's Razor.
      Originally posted by Armando
      Nintendo always seems to have a legion of haters at the wings ready to jump in and prop up straw men about hardware and gimmicks and casuals.
      Originally posted by Taskmage
      GOD IS MIFFED AT AMERICA

REPENT SINNERS OR AT LEAST GIVE A NONCOMMITTAL SHRUG

GOD IS AMBIVALENT ABOUT FURRIES

THE END IS COMING ONE OF THESE DAYS WHEN GOD GETS AROUND TO IT
      Originally posted by Taskmage
      However much I am actually smart, I got that way by confronting how stupid I am.
      Matthew 16:15

Comment

Thief's Knife sucks for killing things. AoE farming was nerfed long ago.

Comment

BST/THF, or THF/BST any day of the week, this will allow you to farm mostly anything with very little danger.

DNC/THF or THF/DNC might also be nice, but not as safe as BST, and it'l take a longer time to kill stuff that's EM or higher.

I'm currently farming as 70BST/37THF, I can vouch for it. Granted, THF/BST would be better for weaker stuff, for the TH+ alone.
          signatures are for pussies mew mew mew, here's mine

Comment

Question;

If I'm THF/BST and use call beast, is the jug pet lv dependent on THF or BST?
            sigpic

Comment

You can't use Call Beast as /BST, you can't equip jug pets. Charming is, for some strange reason, dependent on your BST level (not sub level, ACTUAL level).

Comment

Oh right forgot about that
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Nuriko View Post
                  Charming is, for some strange reason, dependent on your BST level (not sub level, ACTUAL level).
                  Because if charm were based of your main job level, BST would be horribly broken. Everyone would go 75JOB/1BST and charm the shit out of everything. Anarchy.

PLD75 DRK60 lots of other levels.
                  ------
                  Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
                  When ignorance reigns, life is lost

Comment

That or you would be forced to charm, at best, level ~37 mobs and have a sub that's absolutely useless except for some Killer traits (which aren't in themselves a good enough reason to sub something in most cases.)

Comment

So either way, having charm rely on the level of your main job when subbing BST would probably not be such a good idea.

------

Comment

wait, how has AoE farming been nerfed?
                        | 90 SMN | 90 BRD | 90 BLM | 90 THF | 90 WAR |

5/5 BST +2
                        2/5 WAR +2
                        Farsha(85)

Comment

There is a myth that mobs drop less stuff when you AOE them.

Its just a myth though, I haven't experienced this as BLM farming sheep and bees in the highlands / giddeus.
                          signatures are for pussies mew mew mew, here's mine

Comment

Originally posted by Ameroth View Post
                            Because if charm were based of your main job level, BST would be horribly broken. Everyone would go 75JOB/1BST and charm the shit out of everything. Anarchy.
                            No, what they mean is that its based on the level that your BST is, not your main job level. So if you're BST75 and you play as /BST, you can still charm things that you could as BST75, not BST37.

As Armando said, it'd be pretty pointless otherwise. Who'd want to be restricted to charming level 37 mobs at level 75, they're not going to be able to help.

Comment

Originally posted by Kafeen View Post
                              No, what they mean is that its based on the level that your BST is, not your main job level. So if you're BST75 and you play as /BST, you can still charm things that you could as BST75, not BST37.
                              Yes. I don't think I've refuted this notion at all.

------

Comment

Working...
                              X