Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Farming jobs/options, ???/thf

Originally posted by Balfree View Post
    There is a myth that mobs drop less stuff when you AOE them.

Its just a myth though, I haven't experienced this as BLM farming sheep and bees in the highlands / giddeus.
    I really hope its a myth...I have plans to lvl BLM for that reason lol
    | 90 SMN | 90 BRD | 90 BLM | 90 THF | 90 WAR |

5/5 BST +2
    2/5 WAR +2
    Farsha(85)

Comment

Originally posted by Balfree View Post
      There is a myth that mobs drop less stuff when you AOE them.

Its just a myth though, I haven't experienced this as BLM farming sheep and bees in the highlands / giddeus.
      Even if drop rates stay the same when you AoE mobs to death, training mobs and then killing them with an AoE is less productive than killing mobs one at a time. When you train farm like that, the time the mob spends chasing you is time the mob spends staying alive, which is time it doesn't spend re-spawning. The bigger the train, the more time mobs spend staying alive, and the less kills-per-unit-time you get farming.
      Lyonheart
      lvl 75 WAR, 75 BST, 75 BLM, 75 NIN, 47 SCH
      Cooking 100.0+3+3, Culinarian's Signboard, Raw Fish Handling, Noodle Kneading, Patissier
      Fishing 60

Lakiskline
      Bonecrafting 100.0+3+3,
      Leather 60+2, Woodworking 60, Alchemy 60
      Smithing 60, Clothcraft 55, Goldsmithing 54.1, Cooking 11
      Boneworker's Signboard, Bone Purification, Bone Ensorcellment, Filing, Lumberjack, Chainwork

Comment

Coulda sworn I saw it in the JP update notes. Not finding it now. Guess it's a myth.

Still, what Lyonheart said.

Comment

Originally posted by LyonheartLakshmi View Post
          Even if drop rates stay the same when you AoE mobs to death, training mobs and then killing them with an AoE is less productive than killing mobs one at a time. When you train farm like that, the time the mob spends chasing you is time the mob spends staying alive, which is time it doesn't spend re-spawning. The bigger the train, the more time mobs spend staying alive, and the less kills-per-unit-time you get farming.
          unless they're mobs that are usually in close proximity, like worms....good for darksteel/iron ore^^

5/5 BST +2
          2/5 WAR +2
          Farsha(85)

Comment

The AoE farming nerf is not a myth. I can vouch for this. I can easily go to Sarutabaruta and kill 20 crawlers, and get about 8 silk threads. I can train and AoE 20 crawlers, and get no silk threads. It's not an isolated incident either. I pretty much gave up on using spells for farming, I found it much more productive to run around and whack things with my Kirin's Staff.
            Originally posted by Ellipses
            Really, it's just like pretty much every question about this game that begins with "Why." The answer is "Because."
            Originally posted by MCLV
            A subjob is like sex, you shouldn't have it untill your 18 but if you don't have it after 21 everyone laughs at you.
            More Sig:

Comment

stop, you're gonna make me cry

hopefully nobody corroborates that lol

is that with or without /thf?

5/5 BST +2
              2/5 WAR +2
              Farsha(85)

Comment

Originally posted by LyonheartLakshmi View Post
                When you AoE farm like this all the mobs die at the same time and so they all respawn at the same time. It does not affect respawn times and it doesn't affect your kills/hour. You are just killing in large groups then waiting instead of kill 1> move > kill 1 >move etc. You make your time up in kill speed.
                sigpic

Comment

Cotners, in the scenario that the mobs are being trained, then they're spending extra time alive when they would be dead. Suppose there are 3 positions where mobs gather and it takes you 1 minute to go through positions 1, 2, and 3 and train them all. The mobs in positions 1 and 2 are spending an extra minute alive than if you had simply visited position 1, killed the mobs, visited position 2, killed those mobs, and then killed the ones in position 3. The more time is spent "training," the more spawn time is being wasted.

Comment

Originally posted by Armando View Post
                    Cotners, in the scenario that the mobs are being trained, then they're spending extra time alive when they would be dead. Suppose there are 3 positions where mobs gather and it takes you 1 minute to go through positions 1, 2, and 3 and train them all. The mobs in positions 1 and 2 are spending an extra minute alive than if you had simply visited position 1, killed the mobs, visited position 2, killed those mobs, and then killed the ones in position 3. The more time is spent "training," the more spawn time is being wasted.
                    The only scenario that 1 by 1 killing would be faster is if you had the perfect amount of mobs to kill in an area so that you arrived at the spawn point right as they popped. If this wasn't the case you would either have to wait on repops or would be leaving them up after they spawn anyway, in which case the kill speed of killing them all at once would be faster. I guess if you are killing extremely low lvl monsters that you were 1 shotting it would be faster, but it is hardly even worth farming those in the first place.

Edit: It would also depend largely on how spread out the mobs were.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Zoltar View Post
                      unless they're mobs that are usually in close proximity, like worms....good for darksteel/iron ore^^
                      And just how do you suggest *train* farming worms?
                      Lyonheart
                      Cooking 100.0+3+3, Culinarian's Signboard, Raw Fish Handling, Noodle Kneading, Patissier
                      Fishing 60

Lakiskline
                      Bonecrafting 100.0+3+3,
                      Boneworker's Signboard, Bone Purification, Bone Ensorcellment, Filing, Lumberjack, Chainwork

Comment

How I mine for fish?
                        sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

I'm pretty sure from my Giddeus farming experience that there are drop limits on killing mobs simultaneously... It looked sort of like there was a limited number of checks for particular drops before those drops stopped being possible. It was really noticeable on frequently dropped items like Yagudo Feathers, where you would get at least one from almost any mob, but only 2-3 for mass-killing 10 at a time.

BLM's still a pretty good choice for farming anything with high physical resistance, though.
                          Kumei, pickpocket of Midgardsormr(Bastok Rank 10)
                          DRK99,DNC91,THF90
                          Alchemy 72, Smithing 51, Goldsmithing 48, Leathercraft 23, Fishing 20
                          Koren, San d'Orian Adv.(Rank 10)
                          WHM95,BLM90,SMN85,RDM82,SCH49
                          Woodworking 29,Cooking 20
                          All celestials(Trial-Size), Fenrir, Diabolos, Alexander, Odin
                          Myrna, Windurstian Merchant
                          Clothcraft 24
                          Nyamohrreh, Windurstian Adv.(Rank 6)
                          BST90,WHM56,DNC45

Comment

I will attest to the AoE farming being crap.

When I was helping my friend farm necklaces in giddeus I had about 20 yagudo on me when I used Cyclone, got about 4 necklaces. When I killed them individually however I got one about 95% of the time so...
                            sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

Well, I could have sworn I say something in the update notes about AoE farming but can't find it, so meh. I do believe that AoE farming was nerfed on droprates, but can't exactly prove it.

On the /bst charming topic though, I had a question.

So lets say that my Bst is lvl 30, and I'm leveling Whm/bst, and my Whm is at lvl 34. Does this mean that my Charm works the same as a lvl 30 Bst's Charm would work?

If so that'd be really nice. I've been having some problems leveling Whm lately and it'd be nice to be able to solo it or something up to sub level for Sch.

You have the right to remain silent, anything you say can and will be misqouted and then used against you.

I don't have a big ego, it just has a large mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by Vyuru View Post
                                So lets say that my Bst is lvl 30, and I'm leveling Whm/bst, and my Whm is at lvl 34. Does this mean that my Charm works the same as a lvl 30 Bst's Charm would work?
                                You would experience the charm success rate of a lvl 30 BST. However, charm duration would work off of your main job's level. So if you tried to charm a lvl 32 mob, you might have some difficulty landing charm. But once you charmed it, it will stayed charmed for about 10 minutes (whereas a lvl 30 BST would only have about a minute a half before it uncharmed).
                                Lyonheart
                                Fishing 60

Lakiskline
                                Bonecrafting 100.0+3+3,

Comment

Working...
                                X