Torn between DRK and DRG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Torn between DRK and DRG

I'm still going through my job crisis for the past 3 months after I had to stop SAM. So now I'm trying to decide between two DD jobs, DRK and DRG. I'm attracted to both because, well, I like wearing big armor and big weapons. Hell, I woulda gone WAR but I was asked in one party if I had tank gear, which I didn't, so I felt pretty bad that I was more DD than Tank, and realized everyone is going to want me to be WAR/NIN, which I wanted to avoid. PLD is just too much of a pain to take through the dunes, and I got off to a bad start on it. It still isn't COMPLETELY eliminated, but it's not high on my list.

So I've narrowed it down between DRK and DRG. I've always wanted to be a DRK, because I love Gswords. A lot. They just look so sick. And it's like a mix between WAR and BLM, and I love BLM. Only issue, I sold my quested Drain and Aspir scrolls, and getting both will run me about 100k. For me, that's a little too much for 10-20. Big turnoff. DRG, I'm looking into because it seems cheaper than DRK. It's got jump, my own pet, and just seems fun. It kinda reminds me of PUP or SMN, for the pet part. I love pet jobs, like PUP. Hell PUP is the most fun I've had in this game.

It's down to DRK and DRG. Can anyone give me a nudge in either direction? Money isn't THAT important as long as I don't have to spend an enormous amount at lower levels. Later-game, I don't care if I have to buy a hauby and amemat +1. But that 100k price tag on DRK seems a little too out of reach.

Re: Torn between DRK and DRG

Why not take them both up to say.....between 30 and 40. It'll give you time to decide for yourself if you actually like the job. I got a bit bored with my white mage....and leveled drk to 22. I like the job...but it just didn't hold my interest.....and that wasn't determined until I hit something like lvl 20. >.<

Play them both...that's my 2 gil.

Comment

As much of a proponent of Dragoon as I am, I'd have to agree with Woven: try both for a while. Make your own choice on this.

If the 100k price tag on the lower levels of Dark Knight scares you, you do not wanna see the later levels at all (as far as gear costs are concerned); it does not get cheaper. While Dragoon has its share of expensive equips, it's not nearly as bad as Dark Knight can be (gear and spells).

However, Dragoon and Dark Knight, while both DDs, play differently as well, and most pet jobs take a good bit of work to get the most effectiveness out of them, whereas a relatively straightforward job like Dark Knight only really needs the player to focus on doing damage.

It's a balancing act between the two, one you'll only really be able to tell by playing both jobs.

Comment

I'm more curious about what's stopping you from continuing to level Samurai, myself. Per your profile, it's at level 46, so it's not limit break 1 that's holding you back, and I don't recall there being anything specifically amazing gear-wise at that level that would stop you in your tracks, so what's the skinny behind that?

It's pretty pointless for us to recommend one path or another if you're just going to hit a similar brick wall, because frankly most DD jobs play roughly the same for the first 50 levels or so, differing mostly in methodology rather than results.

Icemage

Comment

Were you playing SAM before the 2 handed update? If so, you're really missing out. SAM is one of the top DD's by end game, especially if you can get your hands on a Hagun for HNM (though these days thanks to the change in Yuki/Gekko/Kasha, you're probably better off with Shinsoku)

As said above, DRK only gets more expensive as you go on, and you really can't afford to miss out on those spells. Elemental and Enfeebling will rarely get used in EXP (but are still good to have) while Dark Magic will have a fairly big impact on your performance.

Drain Aspir Stun and the Stat Absorbs are key to DRK. Besides that, BLM also uses Drain Aspir and Stun.

As an example, say you're 20+ fighting crabs or worms. Well, both those mobs can be Aspired for MP, so that's basically giving you a free drain every minute and 2 skill ups. Oh yeah, and if you go DRK, make sure to have both Scythe and Greatsword. Don't be a lolDRK and half ass it, keep both leveled!

One of the big edges DRG has over DRK is it's solo power. DRG's one of the better soloing jobs since you can sub WHM/RDM/SMN/BLM/BLU and get a defensive wyvern that will remove status effects from you when you WS and cure you when you cast magic at 33% or lower HP (50% with AF helm)

Then you get high jump and super jump at 35 and 50 to help shed hate (this will be mandatory when fighting birds in ToAU ><)

Both jobs are great, don't let money be the major issue for you. DRG is the cheaper choice, but a job is only as good as the effort you put into it.
          sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

Definitely DRK. I don't think anyone will taunt you with LOLDRK or LMAODRK...
            Current Server: Asura
            Current Home Nation: Bastok (Rank 10)
            Race/Sex: Elvaan/Male
            Main Job: 75 DRK / 37 SAM,RDM,NIN,WAR,WHM
            Main Craft: 73 Cloth

(Read this at a normal pace...)
            Tihs Msseage Connat Be Raed By Nromal Huamn Biegns. Pelsae Ntoify Yuor Firedns Taht If Tehy Can Raed Tihs, Taht Tehy Aenr't Namrol...Cnovrresly, Atmpetnig To Raed Tihs Msasege At Nmaorl Pcae And Bineg Albe To, Cna't be Namrol Etiehr...If Yor'ue Albe To Raed Tihs, Tehn Mybae Yur'oe Not Nrmaol.

Comment

Don't recall the situation with Aspir off-hand, but for Drain, have you considered having a Sandy mule do the quest? You can use your original character to farm up blood easily enough, and Rank 2 is pretty easy to get even only taking a job to 10 or so. It might be worth the time investment as compared to the scroll cost, particularly as a starting point for later investments like Jeuno/Gobbiebag access, or a AU/Mog Locker access.
              Kumei, pickpocket of Midgardsormr(Bastok Rank 10)
              DRK99,DNC91,THF90
              Alchemy 72, Smithing 51, Goldsmithing 48, Leathercraft 23, Fishing 20
              Koren, San d'Orian Adv.(Rank 10)
              WHM95,BLM90,SMN85,RDM82,SCH49
              Woodworking 29,Cooking 20
              All celestials(Trial-Size), Fenrir, Diabolos, Alexander, Odin
              Myrna, Windurstian Merchant
              Clothcraft 24
              Nyamohrreh, Windurstian Adv.(Rank 6)
              BST90,WHM56,DNC45

Comment

DNC all the way.
                The Tao of Ren
                FFXIV LowRes Benchmark - 5011

If we don't like something, collectively, if our hatred for it throbs like an abscess beneath every thread, does that mean that they're doing something right?
                Originally posted by Kaeko
                As hard as it may be, don't take this game or your characters too seriously. I promise you - the guys that really own your account don't.

Comment

Originally posted by Malacite View Post
                  DRG's one of the better soloing jobs since you can sub WHM/RDM/SMN/BLM/BLU and get a defensive wyvern that will remove status effects from you when you WS and cure you when you cast magic at 33% or lower HP (50% with AF helm)
                  The bolded part is incorrect, as there are no spells to cast that'll trigger Healing Breath (viably, that is). You cannot summon while you have a wyvern out (one pet rule).

Comment

What about Dia? Maybe I'm misunderstanding, Lilith, but I took DRG to leve 4 in like 15 minutes by chaining Ts and just doing Dia when I was at a certain point of health. And spamming it until it worked.

I had juice, so maybe that helped..
                    The Tao of Ren

If we don't like something, collectively, if our hatred for it throbs like an abscess beneath every thread, does that mean that they're doing something right?
                    As hard as it may be, don't take this game or your characters too seriously. I promise you - the guys that really own your account don't.

Comment

He was referring to SMN in particular. Although /SMN gives you a healing wyvern, all of its spells call a pet and thus you can't cast anything as long as your wyvern is out.

Comment

Ohhhh. Stupid me. Gotcha.
                        The Tao of Ren

Comment

Ok thanks a bunch guys. I may or may not take up my SAM. Reason I dropped it was because, from 38-47, I had some awesome gear I borrowed from my uncle. And now I don't have that gear. So I was kinda upset and wanted to be the best SAM. Now, however, I might take it back up to 51 before I have to level my WAR sub. I stopped before the 2H update. I've seen that SAM could be expensive, but it probably doesn't compare to say, DRK.

Subs are also a little bit of a deal. I'd prefer to skip leveling subs, but I'm sure I'll have to eventually. If I could, I'd go SAM/RNG at 51, but not sure if that's even worth it. I will level my WAR, it's just a matter of when. I could level DRG or DRK a ways without having to take a break.

So right now, I think I'll level DRG PLD and DRK up to 20. If none of them interest me, I'll pick SAM up again. I think it's a good idea at least.

Comment

My policy on deciding a job is to go for what you will enjoy the most. Some go for enjoying their time playing the job, some go for running around town wearing that badass-looking AF (which is usually a bad reason to take up a job class if you don't know what you're doing), but I personally go for the story. Advanced jobs in particular [usually] start their story when you unlock them and they continue in the AF (While base jobs normally only have the stories in the AF).

Comment

Originally posted by Dwarkyzidez View Post
                              Ok thanks a bunch guys. I may or may not take up my SAM. Reason I dropped it was because, from 38-47, I had some awesome gear I borrowed from my uncle. And now I don't have that gear. So I was kinda upset and wanted to be the best SAM. Now, however, I might take it back up to 51 before I have to level my WAR sub. I stopped before the 2H update. I've seen that SAM could be expensive, but it probably doesn't compare to say, DRK.

Subs are also a little bit of a deal. I'd prefer to skip leveling subs, but I'm sure I'll have to eventually. If I could, I'd go SAM/RNG at 51, but not sure if that's even worth it. I will level my WAR, it's just a matter of when. I could level DRG or DRK a ways without having to take a break.

So right now, I think I'll level DRG PLD and DRK up to 20. If none of them interest me, I'll pick SAM up again. I think it's a good idea at least.
                              Samurai is nowhere near as expensive as DRK as you go up in levels. It's about on par with DRG, maybe a shade more, but not by much.

You should seriously consider sticking with it. There's not that much "godly gear" that Samurais really need. Some accuracy buffing gear and some strength gear should set you straight, and most of it is pretty inexpensive.

Icemage

Comment

Working...
                              X