Trying so hard to decide...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Trying so hard to decide...

Well, perhaps I should just be saying this in-game since Kyo is in my LS, but BLU/NIN is more for solo than anything else. Since I'm stubborn and independent at times, I've soloed most of my BLU levels thus far. I like being able to roam about and learn spells rather than PT, which has made for a unique experience, even if I'm playing off just a little of my BST experieces as well.

I've had like maybe 3 parties as BLU and probably as many levels, I've not actively sought out parties and don't know if I will anytime soon. Maybe if I get an invite while soloing, otherwise I'm content to go it alone.

I'm also working on THF, RDM and SMN as potential subjobs for BLU since I've already covered NIN, WAR and WHM subs. BLU is a bit of work, but its been very rewarding thus far.

We'll see about getting those other jobs unlocked soon.

Comment

I've spent some time as Blu/Smn, and I'll admit it got a little overwhelming worrying about your avatar and their Blood Pacts along with your own spells. But if someone spends enough time with it, it might work out nicely. Although avatar performance does seem to lessen when it is set as a sub job. In one of my most recent parties I went as Whm/Smn, but since half of the party was Nin or /Nin I really didn't have to cure very much. So I tried summoning Carbuncle but he missed 90% of the time. It just wasn't worth the effort. And in comparison with Blu, you would get more out of your damaging spells anyway.

But Carby is cool. >_> Soloing with Smn is always fun and nobody cares what you do when you're soloing. So if you feel like using Blu/Smn, go ahead. But if you do get an invite while soloing and decide to accept, might want to change sub first before heading over there.

Comment

Originally posted by Omgwtfbbqkitten View Post
        Well, perhaps I should just be saying this in-game since Kyo is in my LS, but BLU/NIN is more for solo than anything else.
        Isn't BLU/NIN a fairly standard combo for merit/TP burn parties, since they don't have a dedicated tank? Of course, I suppose you can always "pick" a tank with TA + Frenetic Rip, then SA+something to check out your luck.

May be fun to see a WAR75/NIN37 panic because he's "tanking"?

I've had like maybe 3 parties as BLU and probably as many levels, I've not actively sought out parties and don't know if I will anytime soon. Maybe if I get an invite while soloing, otherwise I'm content to go it alone.
        I find it more fun in small party of three people. Then again, one of the member is my sister, and the other a long time friend... Your results may vary.

I'm also working on THF, RDM and SMN as potential subjobs for BLU since I've already covered NIN, WAR and WHM subs. BLU is a bit of work, but its been very rewarding thus far.
        Why do you want to use /RDM and /SMN?
        Bamboo shadows sweep the stars,
        yet not a mote of dust is stirred;
        Moonlight pierces the depths of the pond,
        leaving no trace in the water.

- Mugaku

Comment

Originally posted by IfritnoItazura View Post
          Isn't BLU/NIN a fairly standard combo for merit/TP burn parties, since they don't have a dedicated tank? Of course, I suppose you can always "pick" a tank with TA + Frenetic Rip, then SA+something to check out your luck.

May be fun to see a WAR75/NIN37 panic because he's "tanking"?
          Talking about merit PTs now is getting way ahead of this guy. I've been in very few merit PTs with BLU, if I do merit with a BLU, its usually one seeking me out for a Duo/Trio imps in the Nyzul/Caedarva camp.

Why do you want to use /RDM and /SMN?
          Just subs I want as options, I'm going to be levelling RDM for COR sub anyway. /RDM obviously offers Fast Cast to BLU. /SMN just because I see a good degree of (party-only) main heal potential and tank support in BLU. BLU main for Diamondhide would take Titan out of rotation.

A lot of the potential for BLU, as I see it, is being flushed down the tubes in favor of DD play, I want a different experience. I have WAR, WHM and NIN done, working on THF and the rest next since they're in-line with other goals.

Comment

I've seen and done some pretty interesting things as a BLU that I was never capable of (or could imagine) as any other job. Soloing all my spells (and just about as many levels) on up to the 50s-60s was a blast, and the fact that I was taking out mobs on my own that normally takes full parties to deal with was just a refreshing change of pace.

I ended up using /WHM for a long while. The defensive spells are pretty nice, and work well for a lot of the time. I only did /NIN and /THF in parties for a long time (started off with /WAR and /NIN, didn't use /THF until 60 because the parties I ended up with never were keen on hate control).

BLU's play style is really up to each individual player. Other jobs would also work, but all work a bit differently in execution of solo/casual play.

Comment

I don't know what the standards are on your servers, but over on Midgardsormr BLU/NIN is the most typical XP party setup from level 20 on. This is because BLU gets more mileage out of Dual Wield than anybody else; while most jobs get a very minor net gain in damage over time and TP gain and an extra hit added to all multi-hit weaponskills, BLU also gets an extra hit added to their multi-hit physical spells. That makes it so that they deal more damage for the MP they spend.

To be sure, there are other subs -- BLU/WAR, BLU/THF (at 60+), and occasionally BLU/WHM if you just can't find any other healer and they don't whine at the prospect. But BLU/NIN is far from being a "solo sub" in the sense of not being an XP sub. (Of course, it works for solo too.) -- Pteryx

Comment

Question about the DD capability of BLU... Is BLU/BLM not an option because the melee DD > casting DD for the BLU OR is it because getting all the spells is a pia that is just easier to go /NIN and do the same amount of damage?

From all the replies I've seen almost every option except /BLM. Is BLU damage spells that gimped?

Comment

Sort of . . . the thing is, hardly anybody uses /BLM because of lack of native Elemental Skill: your /Black Mage spells will effectively be at half-power.

The only jobs that can get anything from subbing BLM are those with a native Elemental Skill (DRK, RDM), or those who could use the MP and the utility spells like Warp, and have nothing to gain from subbing WHM (WHM).
                  Last edited by Yellow Mage; 10-14-2007, 02:24 PM.
                  Originally posted by Armando
                  No one at Square Enix has heard of Occam's Razor.
                  Originally posted by Armando
                  Nintendo always seems to have a legion of haters at the wings ready to jump in and prop up straw men about hardware and gimmicks and casuals.
                  Originally posted by Taskmage
                  GOD IS MIFFED AT AMERICA

REPENT SINNERS OR AT LEAST GIVE A NONCOMMITTAL SHRUG

GOD IS AMBIVALENT ABOUT FURRIES

THE END IS COMING ONE OF THESE DAYS WHEN GOD GETS AROUND TO IT
                  Originally posted by Taskmage
                  However much I am actually smart, I got that way by confronting how stupid I am.
                  Matthew 16:15

Comment

Originally posted by Lucky7 View Post
                    Question about the DD capability of BLU... Is BLU/BLM not an option because the melee DD > casting DD for the BLU OR is it because getting all the spells is a pia that is just easier to go /NIN and do the same amount of damage?
                    Neither. A Blue Mage without blue magic is nothing. Yes it can sometimes be a pain to learn all the spells, but you certainly will not be able to make up lack of spells by subbing Nin. Blu has some VERY nice damaging spells, most noteable would be Bludgeon. But just about every blue spell is situational and their strength can vary depending on what you're fighting.

Comment

BLU also gets an extra hit added to their multi-hit physical spells. That makes it so that they deal more damage for the MP they spend.

Proof please? This is the first I'd heard of such.

http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Dual_Wield

Job Trait Overview

* Game Description: Allows user to equip two weapons at once.
                      * Job Traits are always active.
                      * Further Notes:
                      o Only one-handed weapons can be dual-wielded.
                      o Delay reductions are active only when two weapons are equipped.
                      o TP per hit is calculated using the reduced Delay.
                      + When dual wielding weapons with different Delays, the average Delay (reduction included) is used for the TP calculations; both weapons will gain the same TP.
                      o Only the Weapon Skills of the weapon currently equipped in the main hand are available for use. If you equip two different types of weapons, you do not have access to both Weapon Skill sets at once.
                      o During non-elemental Weapon Skills, an extra hit is performed with the secondary weapon. This does not apply to elemental Weapon Skills (such as Shining Strike) or special Weapon Skills such as Spirits Within.
                      o Weapon Skill Damage is based on the damage rating of the main hand weapon.
                      sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Pteryx View Post
                        This is because BLU gets more mileage out of Dual Wield than anybody else; while most jobs get a very minor net gain in damage over time and TP gain and an extra hit added to all multi-hit weaponskills, BLU also gets an extra hit added to their multi-hit physical spells. That makes it so that they deal more damage for the MP they spend.
                        Yeah, I had suspected this, but couldn't be certain (never had anyone to test it on in Diorama as of late). Post up where you got your info, and some tests, and this'll be something to prove even more worth for /NIN.

As far as /BLM is concerned: subbing it wouldn't be for the attack spells, but more for the INT and MAB (which you can equip through spells at a later level anyways). However, blue magical spells are relatively prohibitive for their costs (mp wise); the dmg/mp ratios are horrible. They also have rather long casting times (for the most part), and by the time you pop one off, you could have done more damage with sword swings and physical spells. You'll also be looking at spending more time gearing up as a mage than a frontliner, and resting as well, since the MP costs are up there (way up there), and a Blue Mage has one of the smallest MP pools of all the mages in the game.

All in all, /BLM fails not for what it does or does not provide as a sub, but for the fact that BLU main nuking isn't really effective until the late (very late) levels, and by that time, BLU main already has all the tools it needs to make it work on its own. /BLM wouldn't give much more.

Comment

Working...
                        X