Trying so hard to decide...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying so hard to decide...

So i have been mindlessly leveling both my warrior main and theif sub job, while doing so trying to figure out what class i want to be.

I want two main points, Survivability and DD. I love soloing, i have soloed both my theif to 15 and warrior to 20 and even did the subjob on my own.

Im not too sure but i have been looking at this option, COR/RNG it seems interesting to me and looks cool, but then again i have looked at NIN/THF

So what do you guys think? I want to be usuful and get parties easy so i would love some advice. thanks!!

Re: Trying so hard to decide...

COR has gained a bit of solo endurance as of the August update, but that endurance requires a WHM, BLU or RDM subjob. Its really only soloing to survive. I can take down a VT Puk with little issue, but I can't take it down quickly enough to consider it worthwhile EXP.

COR/RNG is purely a Party combo, no soloability about it.

NIN/THF - I know it sounds cool, but its not. No one invites a NIN to DD as /THF. They invite NINs to tank, only to tank and nothing but to tank. It doesn't make sense, but neither does FFXI. You will be endlessly badgered to party and sub /WAR. NINs can solo rather well, tough.

THF isn't a bad solo job, its definitely well ahead of COR in that regard, but if you're looking to solo for EXP outside of groups at a steady rate, the best jobs for that are BST, PUP, DRG and BLU. They're all just built for the task and soloing as those jobs can be rather rewarding.

But again, these will require mage subjobs, possibly Ninja as a subjob as well. Stroll on over to the BLU, BST, DRG and PUP forums and check them out, see what interests you from those.
    Last edited by Omgwtfbbqkitten; 10-09-2007, 08:12 AM.

Comment

First you need to ask yourself what kind of soloing you want, and when. Some jobs can solo for EXP, others are too slow to solo for EXP but can still hold their own almost indefinetely against opponents higher in level than them. Some jobs are also very mediocre soloists until the higher levels (PLD, for example, doesn't become that good a soloer until at 63-68).

But if soloing is important to you, that kinda rules out WAR.

Edit: Oh, and NIN/THF is not a good combination.

Comment

so what class would be good with RNG?

and COR/WHM would be a good combo? I'll check that out when i get 30

Really as far as when i wanna solo, at any level. If i cant find a party or just wanna play for 30-min to an Hour and get some exp that way. im just so confused T_T

Comment

I would recommend DRG. A capable soloer at any level, can solo for EXP fairly well, and is also a good DD.

RNG are usually RNG/NIN or RNG/WAR. But RNG isn't much of a soloer.

Comment

Also, you should realized that while soloing is possible (much more so now since a few recent updates), FFXI is built upon grouping for exp much more than soloing for exp. Soloing is nice when you have sometime but not enough to party with, but soloing for exp will almost never yield as much exp as a party would get you.

PLD75 DRK60 lots of other levels.
            ------
            Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
            When ignorance reigns, life is lost

Comment

Originally posted by Ameroth View Post
              Soloing is nice when you have sometime but not enough to party with, but soloing for exp will almost never yield as much exp as a party would get you.
              Partying is nice when you have some time, but partying for EXP will almost never yield as many beastmen and kindred seals as soloing would get you.

You don't have to share loot when you solo. The financial gain a soloist enjoys in the face of slow EXP makes up for the slow EXP.

Comment

[System Message: You are not allowed to post URLs as you have not yet contributed sufficiently. Please try again at a later time.]

Comment

THF/NIN is actually a very capable solo job and sought after party job. They are capable of soloing VT enemies at Lv74 due to extremely high evasion, access to Utsusemi: Ni, and access to an assortment of bolts. They can take down EM to T crabs in the earlier levels since crabs do not double attack and THF has high evasion.

You will however have to make extensive use of your marksmanship. Acid Bolts will help by decreasing your enemies defense and removing defense boost effects. You will also need Sleep Bolts to help you take advantage of Sneak Attack, Bloody Bolts will let you regain HP, and Blind Bolts will help you improve your evasion.

If you want to solo for XP, you should probably target BST pets, but you could also solo for XP and Gil simultaniously by targetting EP-DC Birds and Greater Birds. These enemies will drop Fire Crystals, Wind Crystals, Beastman Seals, Kindred Seals, Bird Feathers, Giant Bird Feathers, and Giant Bird Plumes which are all worth a decent amount of Gil.

You could also play THF/RNG when farming TW enemies or helping out other players. Another way to solo with RNG would be to level BST and later play RNG/BST (BST must be greater or equal level to your main job to successfully charm enemies), and THF/BST is also loads of fun. Try a seach on YouTube for "THF solo" to see some awesome videos.
                  Last edited by Ryoii/Nonomii; 10-09-2007, 09:19 AM.

Comment

I believe what you want is blue mage. Blu carries some solid DD and excellent survivability particularly with /nin, but you can use /thf as well.
                    ~Zozor!

Comment

I've heard stories of people soloing BST pets with BLU, so I'll have to second that recommendation. It is an extremely versatile job, and both THF and NIN will be useful subjobs.

Additionally you could consider NIN/WAR since it is great in parties if you enjoy tanking and allows you to duo with anyone capable of healing you (BLM/WHM, RDM, BLU, PLD, BRD/WHM, SMN/WHM, DRK/WHM, PUP/WHM, DRG/mage). However, you will not be able to solo particularly well due to a lack of self healing, and NIN can be more expensive than using bolts with THF/NIN.
                      Last edited by Ryoii/Nonomii; 10-09-2007, 09:50 AM.

Comment

If you want a good DD that solos very well, try either BLU BST or DRG (NIN as well actually as you get the better weapons and ninjutsu)
                        sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

well i guess i'll go BLU/NIN, might be fun to try....i just hope i can find a party for my 20 warrior to get leveled up to 30
                          Last edited by kyomagi; 10-09-2007, 11:01 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Well you could do BLM, b/c it seems that you're almost forced to solo 60-75 nowadays! >.>
                            Callysto of RamuhCaithsith - 75 RDM / BRD / COR / PLD / WAR / SCH / DRK

Formerly Callisto of Ramuh. | Retired 5.28.10

Callisto Broadwurst of Palamecia

Comment

Originally posted by Omgwtfbbqkitten View Post
                              Partying is nice when you have some time, but partying for EXP will almost never yield as many beastmen and kindred seals as soloing would get you.

You don't have to share loot when you solo. The financial gain a soloist enjoys in the face of slow EXP makes up for the slow EXP.
                              This is a very true and valid point.

In fact, come to think of it, the last stack and a half of beastmen seals have come from me soloing DRK from 1-20, SAM from 1-10 (so far) and various other soloing experiences.

PLD75 DRK60 lots of other levels.
                              ------
                              Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
                              When ignorance reigns, life is lost

Comment

Working...
                              X