Having class trouble.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Having class trouble.

BOO blah. I guess I need a whm sub. I just hope I don't get invited to some retarded party full of idiots saying, "Oh, the THF is going to tank." Me: "BUH-BYE~"

Comment

If you want a job which can cause the mobs to suffer go with BRD, or RDM(both of which en-feeble which will allow for a slow death)
      u have to know when to hold them, know when to fold them

Comment

Hm, nah. I finally decided. Taru NIN, then maybe BLM. Yea that sounds good.

Comment

/rdm can work for blm too. /whm is almost always better for the party, but while we generally advise it, few blms actually use the abilities granted by /whm for the benefit of the party.

nin is a good job too. It'll probably be the second job I take to 75. Just be advised that it takes a lot of money and a lot of skill to play well.
          lagolakshmi on Guildwork :: Lago Aletheia on Lodestone

Comment

ARGH! I can't decide! I want to do NIN or DRG! I don't know! XO But I will do RDM. :D

Comment

If you HATE leveling WHM, stay the hell away from BST, RDM, and SMN. It will also limit your abilities if you play DRG, BLM or BLU. Personally I took BLM from 1-68 on /RDM but I severely limited myself and I just got tired of it, so over a period of 3months with regular breaks playing melee DD jobs to relive stress, i grinded WHM up to 37. And I'm very happy I did so.

Based on what you said about what you like to do I would suggest Ranger for you. Rather much like a physical BLM. If you don't want to do that, go for Warrior or Dark Knight. Both heavy assault classes, but obviously melee. Dark Knight also retains some Black Magic and even gets unique spells.

EDIT: Wow, so much can happen in the process of typing up a post. Red Mage will require a White Mage subjob unless you not only want to limit, but sucessfully gimp yourself. Dragoon needs a WHM subjob on only if you plan on soloing.

Ninja is not treated as a Damage Dealing(DD) class. If you play NIN, 98% of the time you will be expected to blink tank. If you don't mind that and want to play NIN, go ahead. If you have gil to spare, you can tank AND out damage other pt members at the same time, but that costs ALOT of money which is hard to obtain unless you buy it. And don't buy gil for any reason.erriously. Do not buy gil. Don't do it.
              Last edited by Onionsoilder; 03-24-2007, 11:11 AM.
              Originally posted by Ellipses
              Really, it's just like pretty much every question about this game that begins with "Why." The answer is "Because."
              Originally posted by MCLV
              A subjob is like sex, you shouldn't have it untill your 18 but if you don't have it after 21 everyone laughs at you.
              More Sig:

Comment

Hm. A Tarutaru DRK... Hmmm...

((Scenario))
                Beastman Leader: ZOMG!! That taru has a scythe!!

Tatsuhara: Damnnnn straight. *casts stone on you bishes*

I enjoy this notion. DRK it is!!

Comment

He's easily swayed, now you have to level at least four subjobs! Muahahahahah.

Really, I'd say just find something that's very in-line with your personality. I like to be an indirect combatant, enjoy gambling, controlling the minds of creatures, making monsters miss attacks, and absorbing the powers of others. My gaming heros took were Setzer, Shadow, Vincent Valentine, nameless Shin Megami Tensei and Pokemon heroes, Kirby, Samus Aran and Megaman.

So that would equal out to Ranger, Corsair, Ninja, Beastmaster and Blue Mage.

Comment

I am very scatterbrained. VERY. So basically, when the game comes in, 3DAYS!!!, I'll know what I want be once I start playing.

Comment

Just try them... seriously.

I wanted to be Corsaire. I got bored after level 55.
                      I wanted to play Monk. I got bored after level 60ish.
                      I wanted to take SMN up to 75, I got fustrated and quit af level 60ish, again.
                      I wanted 75 Nin too but my Nin stayed at 45 for years and years.

Playing the job WILL give you a totally different experience than thinking about the job.
                      There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot,
                      but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence
                      transform a yellow spot into the sun.

- Pablo Picasso

Comment

Originally posted by Jei View Post
                        Playing the job WILL give you a totally different experience than thinking about the job.
                        Yeah, too bad there are people don't think that, but comment anyway.

If you're undecided, though, take some time get a nice EXP buffer on that WHM and unlock all the jobs (this would also mean getting boat access to Aht'Urghan, which is doable). I spent like two weeks after hitting 30 on WHM getting all the jobs, then instantly unlocked the new ones as they came out.

I usually love summoner from the other Final Fantasy games and the trials they have to go through to get the summons, but I just didn't enjoy how FFXI handled it after I realized I couldn't exactly start from the botton and earn them over time since people don't consider that acceptable. Applying a job to the online realm doesn't always work out like you think it would.

Comment

Originally posted by Taskmage View Post
                          And there's only an exp penalty for using a charmed pet in a party if you charm something higher level than the highest level person in your party.
                          Unfortunately, it's not quite that simple.

A BST player with a charmed pet when the battle target is defeated always receive 70% of experience points (i.e. 30% penalty), regardless of the pet level. This never applies to other party members.

If a charmed pet is used to attack the battle target before its defeat, its level comes into play. If it's at the same level as highest level player in the party, or if it's lower, no effect. If it's higher, then experience points earned is calculated as if the charmed pet's level is the highest level player in party, though it does not "take a share" of the experience earned.

It may be clearer to think of the situation as two separate issues:
                          A) a (charmed) pet penalty for BST only, and B) a potential for level difference impacting experience earned based on the charmed pet's level compared to the party members.

Note that Pets summoned via Call Beast do not modify the experience points earned by the BST or rest of the party in any way. The summoned pets' battle abilities are also weaker than most charm-able Even Match (or even Decent Challenge) monsters.

Some references:
                          http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/Beastmaster
                          http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/Experience_Points

Edit:
                          Level White Mage to 37 anyway; it's one job just about anyone would find useful as main/support at least some of the time. A few extra curaga's, Cure III's -na spells, and Erase can be surprisingly beneficial in all sorts of situations. It also saves Gil on Silent Oil and/or Prism Powder while doing quests, even if you detest healing.

I see my DRK friend with /WHM all the time when the LS is doing missions and quests--he uses the combo to good effects, too. Heck, there were exp parties where he mumbled about wishing he'd know about shortage of healers beforehand since he could've brought DRK/WHM.
                          Last edited by ItazuraNhomango; 03-24-2007, 12:45 PM.
                          Bamboo shadows sweep the stars,
                          yet not a mote of dust is stirred;
                          Moonlight pierces the depths of the pond,
                          leaving no trace in the water.

- Mugaku

Comment

Right, right. I understand that. But it's this concept that the party as a whole necessarily suffers from a bst having a pet at all that needs to be dispelled. Where does that conception come from? Another way the Brady guide haunts us?
                            lagolakshmi on Guildwork :: Lago Aletheia on Lodestone

Comment

Originally posted by Taskmage View Post
                              Right, right. I understand that. But it's this concept that the party as a whole necessarily suffers from a bst having a pet at all that needs to be dispelled. Where does that conception come from? Another way the Brady guide haunts us?
                              I think its just a lingering superstition held by players that don't read update details and the like. Literacy isn't a strong point for all players, we all meet players who ask what to do next on a mission/quest when the cutscene tells them where to go and what to do next. So we can safely assume there are a lot of people that don't read update notes.

JP players are also very discriminating toward BSTs from the experiences other BSTs have related to me and... there's a sector of NA players that have a slavish devotion to what JP players think or just popular trends.

People think we bring EXP down, think we do weak damage and prefer to always solo. I don't bring EXP down, I do great damage and happen to like to party from time to time. Player assumptions are more of a problem for BST than anything within the job itself.

Comment

Working...
                              X