Job selection question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Job selection question

I know I know, you all must be sick of these types of questions, but I'm not sure what job class I want to main. Ive been playing the game on and off since release but I have never gotten a job past 40 (different characters/moving servers etc.) I have most all jobs to 15 with warrior to 30 and monk, my highest, at 41.

I don't want to get into the Big raid end-game, I just want to be able to beat all the missions in the main game as well as the expansions. My brother and I don't get to play that often but when we do it is very fun. He is most definitely a Paladin all the way with the exception of maybe playing a sam.

My question is should I stay with the Monk job class that I love? but invites are dry till 60. Should I play a Support class so that I could get more invites and possibly level faster? What would make a better class to accompany a paladin or sam to the final missions?

Thank you in advance for your responses
    "Death is nothing, but to live defeated and inglorious is to die daily.”
    -Napoleon Bonaparte

Re: Job selection question

If you want straight up invites, be a refresher class or a whm. IMO, play what you like playing best, not what will get you the most invites.
    ~~~BLM SAM RNG NIN PLD~~~

Comment

A PLD's best friends, in my opinion, are RDM and WHM. But you should play the job you love, not the one that gets you invites. Following that logic we should all be BRDs. Then we'd have songburns everywhere ;P

Comment

Just level random jobs as you fancy, until you find a bunch of cool people who can play at the times you can play.

Then, form a static party, and pick a job that's needed by the party. (Almost every job is fun, at least every job I've tried.)

Take that job as far as the static party remains intact. Once it breaks, form another static, either with same job or pick a different one.

I play mostly RDM in pickup groups, since it's my highest (now at Lv.64), and I really want a higher level job to be able to help my LS more. However, it hasn't been the same since the static group I had for my RDM broke. (For example, last night, I muled gears over, stocked up on food, set my search comments, but didn't put up the seek flag--my heart just wasn't in it... If it was my perma, I'd be eagerly camping my /flist for people to show up and gather.)

Really, every weekend, I look forward to my slow and steady PLD perma instead; it may be just 3-5 hours a week and my PLD is only Lv.53, but it's so nice knowing you'll have a party with decent players whom you like, and like you back.

(Geez, that sounded sappy, but never-the-less, it's true.)
        Bamboo shadows sweep the stars,
        yet not a mote of dust is stirred;
        Moonlight pierces the depths of the pond,
        leaving no trace in the water.

- Mugaku

Comment

Wow, thank you for the helpful posts guys. I am now looking forward to organizing a static party with different classes that I would like to play (good idea!). If anyone is playing on the Ifrit server who lives in PST and can play from 10-12pm send me a pm ^^
          "Death is nothing, but to live defeated and inglorious is to die daily.”
          -Napoleon Bonaparte

Comment

Ive been playing for about 18 months and my highest job is 50 (mnk)

I want to get to 75, but the way I look at it the game isnt going to go away so there is no real hurry. I get about as much time as you do, so do what you enjoy and just have fun.

Comment

Another important aspect that should be pointed out is that you're not stuck with any job choice. Any time you want, you can walk into your mog house, talk to your moogle, and change into any job that you have available (all job levels are tracked separately, so you won't lose any progress made on any specific job, though you can't transfer XP from one job to another).

Icemage

Comment

Level sub jobs to figure out what jobs you might have an interest in.

Comment

You said you don't want to get into the end game raid but it's inevitable. I mean, to do all the missions and stuff you basically need to be "end game." Maybe that's a mistake on SE's part, but you can't really enjoy doing a mission if you're leeching it.

I'll leave you with this; I'm a 75 MNK, I enjoyed it. I enjoyed it, basically because, well, I think it's fun to run up to some un-suspecting enemy and punch him in his shit. You said you want to be able to level with your friend's PLD or SAM. Well, it doesn't really matter what job your tank is, because even the best equiped and best skilled tank will have a problem holding hate to a MNK. That's not my ego talking; it's the truth, accept it or not. And on his SAM, you can level great with it because SAM can basically level great with any job; so it wouldn't matter what job you picked to level with him; even DRG/BRD.
                  Last edited by Tipsy; 01-01-2007, 06:42 PM.
                  In the moonlight, your face it glows.. like a thousand diamonds, I suppose.
                  And your hair flows like.. The ocean breeze...
                  Not a million fights could make me hate you, you’re invincible.
                  Yeah, It’s true.
                  It’s in your eyes, where I find peace.

[I love you, Rebecca :D!]

Comment

Originally posted by Hitokami View Post
                    f anyone is playing on the Ifrit server who lives in PST and can play from 10-12pm send me a pm ^^
                    The correct place to post Ifrit server specific stuff is:

http://www.ffxionline.com/forums/ifrit-74/

1. You should list the job(s) (and levle(s)) you're interested in playing, and
                    2. List people who are already in your static (if any), and what their jobs/levels are.
                    3. Two hour party is too short. People tend to be late, and larger the group, the later it gets. You really need three hours or more per session.
                    4. List how many days a week and which days are possible.

That said, very few people ever respond to "looking for static members" in there. (I know my posting was soundly ignored for months.)

If you really want to find members via forums, unfortunately this is your best bet:

http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/forum.html?forum=44

It's a place with lots of advertisement, filled with flame happy posters, and is own by RMT. It also has a sizable portion of Ifrit population.

Levels fly by fast before 40's; you may want to hold off on full static party until you've hit Lv.40. Do a partial; party with one or two friends, and just fill the party with missing jobs each time you go party. Do that until you find suitable people with suitable jobs, and there's your perma. ^_^b
                    Bamboo shadows sweep the stars,
                    yet not a mote of dust is stirred;
                    Moonlight pierces the depths of the pond,
                    leaving no trace in the water.

- Mugaku

Comment

Working...
                    X