In need of a DD class combo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In need of a DD class combo

For my Hume char, I want to make a really good DD. Since the update, and how ranged DD's almost MUST have /nin, I want a good melee DD. I want to try either WAR/DRK or SAM/DRK, but after seeing some of the INSANE damage ranged DD's can do... I don't know anymore. Can anyone gimme a good idea on what to be? Perhaps THF/WAR? or THF/RNG? Gimme your feedback ppl.

Re: In need of a DD class combo

well those sub jobs for the most case won't work.... /drk isn't used by any DD.

depends on what job you want to play, I suggest you look into the job specific forum. A lot of discussion had been made about subjob choices already. WAR SAM DRK THF forums have a lot of info about sub jobs.
    http://www.ffxionline.com/forums/race.job.type.q-17/
    There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot,
    but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence
    transform a yellow spot into the sun.

- Pablo Picasso

Comment

whats wrong doing WAR/DRK with Great Axe? having WAR main means getting Aggressor (I think) where as a sub thats impossible (I think). Call me a lazy ass, but I don't want to level every weapon or even two, I just want one weapon to level, unless it is a melee and a ranged weapon, I can handle that. I need some ideas on what does the highest damage in WS(spike) and DoT. Mages are too weak(physically) to be my thing, so Melee or Ranged DD's please.

Comment

If you only want to level ONE weapon, play SAM/WAR.

All you have to worry about with that is Great Katana.

Although you are going to regret having to level other weapons up for things, eventually, with any job....

Comment

So... you're suggesting he take WAR to 30 using GKatana? Using what as a subjob?

Laziness isn't met with understanding or hospitality in this game. Understand that your actions affect 5 other people in exp pts, and act accordingly. If you're going to play gimp, play alone. Better yet, play WoW.

edit: might as well answer the OP as long as I'm here. Start as mnk. take it to 18 and get your subjob. take war/mnk to 30 and unlock a bunch of advanced jobs, then use the level 15 THF that everyone should have anyway level it to 18 to sub it to your warrior 'til 37. If you don't like war/thf at 30+, you're not gonna like war at all. Be a Samurai. If you DO like war, consider leveling ninja. Monk and thf - use H2H. War - use GAxe. If you want more specific advice, don't hesitate to ask. Keep in mind, though, that you're surrounded by some pretty amazing research and you could probably answer most questions on your own.
          Last edited by --e; 07-03-2006, 12:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CHAOBLACKDOOM
            whats wrong doing WAR/DRK with Great Axe?
            Your magic won't be useful because of 0 mp and low skill and INT. So what are you getting from /DRK?
            Last Resort - pretty minor really.
            Souleater - this is actually fairly strong, but also dangerous and draws a lot of hate.

It *could* work, but compare WAR/THF with Great Axe. Sneak Attack and Trick Attack with great axe weaponskills is very powerful.
            having WAR main means getting Aggressor (I think) where as a sub thats impossible (I think). Call me a lazy ass, but I don't want to level every weapon or even two, I just want one weapon to level, unless it is a melee and a ranged weapon, I can handle that. I need some ideas on what does the highest damage in WS(spike) and DoT. Mages are too weak(physically) to be my thing, so Melee or Ranged DD's please.
            The highest WS damage is probably DRK/THF, or maybe WAR/THF. (SAM does more WS, but for slightly less damage each.) Highest DoT is MNK/WAR (which is also a good choice for one weapon, although you'll still need a second weapon to use when you level WAR).

If you don't like trying different jobs and weapons, though, FFXI may not be the game for you. Job changing is one of the major things that makes FFXI stand out from other MMOs.
            Defeated: Maat, Divine Might, Fenrir, Kirin, Cactrot Rapido, Xolotl, Diabolos Prime, Kurrea, 9/10 Dynamis Bosses (missing Tav), Promathia, Proto-Ultima, Proto-Omega, 4 Jailers, Apocalypse Nigh, 6/6 Nyzul Bosses
            RDM90, PLD90, DRG90, COR90, SCH90, BLU54
            All Nations Rank 10, ZMs & PMs Complete, AUMs Complete, Captain, Nyzul Floor 100 (5 Weapons, 4 WS), Medal of Altana, WotG Mission 15, 1/3 Addons Complete, 9/9 Abyssea Main Quests, 6/6 Caturae

Comment

So... you're suggesting he take WAR to 30 using GKatana?
              No, i'm suggesting a main/sub that only really needs skill in one weapon.

Comment

Who says to use ranged attacks you have to sub NIN? I certainly don't. /NIN is useful in certain situations, but I xp as /WAR. However, if you don't like mages b/c of low survivability, then you're going to hate RNG. Armor of choice is Noct gear for 20+ levels. This crap has worse defense than most armor 15 levels below it. However, even with RNG you will still need to skill two different ranged skills. Marksmenship and Archery.
                I RNG 75 I WAR 37 I NIN 38 I SAM 50 I Woodworking 92+2

PSN: Caspian

Comment

In FFXI there are subjobs that are always awsome, subjobs that are situational, and subjobs that don't work at all. /DRK is one of these subjobs. From your description, you have this choice to be a decent melee DD:

SAM/WAR and /THF:

Samurai uses only G. Katana, and you only need to level 2 other weapons for your subjobs. I don't know what levels your characters are now, but you will need Monk(H2H) at 18, Warrior(Axe or G. Axe) to 37, and Thief (Dagger, H2H) to 37.

I have talked to you before, when helping you find a solo job. In all honesty, from my prevoius conversations with you, FFXI isn't your game. If you don't want to quit because you have spent money on it, just cut your loss, but you will NEVER be happy in FFXI. Trust me. If you want to play a MMO, play WoW.

The bolded weapons are the ones that are the easiest to gimp by.
                  Originally posted by Ellipses
                  Really, it's just like pretty much every question about this game that begins with "Why." The answer is "Because."
                  Originally posted by MCLV
                  A subjob is like sex, you shouldn't have it untill your 18 but if you don't have it after 21 everyone laughs at you.
                  More Sig:

Comment

I never said anything about squeezing my way by. Keep in mind, what I'm looking for is a FINAL job combo to 75 that involves these things, if I have to level 30 or how many weapon types to get to my final job combo, I will, I just don't want to get to 75 and keep switching weapons in combat. And I want to last decently longer than the other players (that aren't tanks =P) and just have to use one weapon to get some high numbers. I mean, I've seen lvl 75 rng's and thf's deal THOUSANDS of damage. Thats the kind of stuff I'm talking about lol. I want to be able to deal an insane amount of damage at one time, while still doing a decent amount while refreshing it.

Comment

Black Mage

oh you said melee... um, DRK/thf if you want to go the high burst damage route (SAM/thf is pretty sweet too) or MNK/war for general kick ass-ness

Thanks Yyg!

Comment

Final job combo ... The problem is that at 75 you will want many subjobs, one for each situation. Let's take MNK for example /WAR for exp, /WHM for chiblasting and /NIN when you have to don't be hit ( to save your healer's MP or solo ) and it's the same for every job if you want to be good at it.

Mages weak ? ... Nice joke really, I m going to say that to the next melee who dies to fafnir's hurricane wings or because he got 1 mob on him in dynamis while I got like 3 on me.
                        ( I, as RDM, already survived AoE things that a galka WAR died too and we were both at full HPs )

The job you are describing is BLM/WHM for me : not weak ( can solo IT's ), really good DD, you will not be asked to have another subjob even if some others are known to be usefull and no weapons to skill up. If you feel better with more HPs just go elvaan or galka but any melee have to /NIN to have some survivability. Melee DD dont wear armor to protect them but to enhance their abilities to hurt more.

Comment

The problem you have, CHAOBLACKDOOM, is that you misunderstand what the end-game of FFXI is like.

It's not "I play this one job and this is the only job I'll ever play so I'd better like it".

You can change jobs any time you like, so the best players at end-game often have multiple jobs at level 75, and change them based on whatever skills, spells, or abilities best fit whatever they need to do right at that moment.

Stop trying to find the "perfect job" - it doesn't exist, and it doesn't need to, because FFXI gives you the flexibility to change professions at the drop of a hat once you've spent the time to level up your jobs.

Icemage

Comment

lol @ neibortaru

and Icemage wins again, he speaks words of wisdom and truth

i want to be a good rdm, for that i have to have blm, whm, nin, drk all at 37 to make me versitile. if you truly just want one job one weapon to 37 do mnk/war but you wont get insane dmg there.

blm is insane dmg but thats mage... hmmm.. drk/thf is good but to be a good drk you have to lvl great sword and scythe and thf is H2H and dagger... soo if you want to be the best DD in the game, you do have to actually put work in it. whoda thought O.o

Comment

Working...
                            X