This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I want a Skill based class

I just recently came back to ffxi (about a month ago) and I am looking for a job to call my own. I am a low lvl wondering fool. (highest toon is 33) I have the following classes leved:

Taru
    blm 33
    whm 24
    brd 30
    drk 14
    war 10
    rng 10
    bst 10

Galka
    War 29 (deleveled doing pally quest)
    mnk 27
    pld 20

My question is What class takes more Skill then Gil to be noticed? I want to be remembered when I party with people. I am not saying that I don't want to farm but I don't want some job that is uber because of its uber equipment.

Edit: I guess what I am trying to say is if gear didn't matter which class would take the most skill?

Thanks,

Edit: Sorry I guess I put this in the wrong spot ;(
    Last edited by Jizu; 11-02-2005, 07:42 AM.
    Jizu )taru) 19brd, 18 whm, 33 blm, 10 rng, 5 war, 6 rdm, 5 drk

Darkanguish (Galka) 30 war, 29 mnk, 8 thf, 14 pld

Re: I want a Skill based class

ninja is pretty expensive if you use all the ninjutsu spells and throwing weapons. They help you hold better hate too.

In terms of skill, every job needs skill... but more noticably probably are RDM BRD and THF... you can feel is so clearly when you have a good one compare to a bad one.
    There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot,
    but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence
    transform a yellow spot into the sun.

- Pablo Picasso

Comment

As far as exp parties are concerned, I think NIN is the only job in the game that is very skill-intensive.

There are certainly a lot of other busy jobs in the game, but I don't think any of them come close to the intensity of the critical timing skills that NIN requires.

I'll put it another way. I've played pretty much every job in the game to around 30. I'm 100% confident in my ability to play all of them at at least a "good", if not "excellent" level.

All save one - NIN. I'm literally scared to level NIN beyond 37 because I'm not confident that I would be a decent, let alone good, NIN.

I've seen "average" NINs wearing relatively cheap gear blinktank perfectly. I've seen "uber" NIN loaded up the wazoo with multimillion-gil equipment embarass themselves.

Compare that to say, a DRK. An "average skilled", but uberly equipped DRK usually destroys a supposedly "skilld", but averagely equipped one.
      Pounce (RETIRED) Mithra Bastok R.7 Titan server
      DRG 62 | RDM 65 | WAR 34 | SAM 30 | WHM 33 | BLM 33 | THF 15

(guess my name =P) Mithra Bastok R.1 Titan server
      MNK 18 | WAR 3
      Future NIN -_-

Comment

Originally posted by Pounce
        As far as exp parties are concerned, I think NIN is the only job in the game that is very skill-intensive.

There are certainly a lot of other busy jobs in the game, but I don't think any of them come close to the intensity of the critical timing skills that NIN requires.

I'll put it another way. I've played pretty much every job in the game to around 30. I'm 100% confident in my ability to play all of them at at least a "good", if not "excellent" level.

All save one - NIN. I'm literally scared to level NIN beyond 37 because I'm not confident that I would be a decent, let alone good, NIN.

I've seen "average" NINs wearing relatively cheap gear blinktank perfectly. I've seen "uber" NIN loaded up the wazoo with multimillion-gil equipment embarass themselves.

Compare that to say, a DRK. An "average skilled", but uberly equipped DRK usually destroys a supposedly "skilld", but averagely equipped one.
        i like this guy's thinking ^^

im a bit biased so i wont talk about nin. but other jobs that i think need some skill are thf and a non-lazy brd. thf that can not waste a fuidama b/c the mob moved or a brd that gives all the right songs to all the right ppl. no, mad/min for all melee onry and arways doesnt count. i mean, preludes for rngs, etudes for mages, ballads for mages etc etc. knowing the effectiveness range of different instruments makes a good brd imo.
        Omni@Remora: NIN75 RNG75 MNK75 COR75 BST64 BRD53
        ♪♫ San d'Oria Complete ♪♫ ZM Complete ♪♫ CoP Complete ♪♫ AM Complete ♪♫

Comment

The thing with thf, they can only be as skilled as their party allows them to be. I feel I'm a good thf myself, but if the other members of my pt don't cooprerate, I'll suck.

Take for instance my last pt with my 48 thf. The nin tank decided to pull, taking away one of my best talents. And after the initial SaTa, my Sam Trick Partner would run behind the Nin and start trying to pull hate so he could turn the mob for me to SaTa onto the nin again. Only problem was the nin had so much hate from the initial SaTa, and using the proper spells, that it only caused hate to bounce around ruing any chance I had to perform to the best of my abilities.

After the nin pulled a beetle, and we realised we couldn't hit the thing at all cause the pt had no dispel (Whm/Blm/Smn ftl) so the nin died and the mages ran out of MP. So I voke, hit my two hour and hold the thing until the blm had enough MP to escape us. I was then kicked from the PT for not soloing TA onto the nin ._.

Moral of the story, a thf is only as good as the party he's with.

As for what jobs need skill, I'd say melee wise Sam. Juggling two Sc with two people can get rough at times, but always pays off. Mage wise, I'd say Brd or Rdm. A good one will make a HUGE difference in a party.
          Last edited by Ziero; 11-02-2005, 11:04 AM.
          "I have a forebrain, my ability to abstract thoughts allow for all kinds of things" - Red Mage 8-Bit theater

Comment

What the hell is a toon, I've seen that used in 2 threads, wtf lol "my toon's a chick but im not" and this one
            In the moonlight, your face it glows.. like a thousand diamonds, I suppose.
            And your hair flows like.. The ocean breeze...
            Not a million fights could make me hate you, you’re invincible.
            Yeah, It’s true.
            It’s in your eyes, where I find peace.

[I love you, Rebecca :D!]

Comment

Originally posted by Tipsy
              What the hell is a toon, I've seen that used in 2 threads, wtf lol "my toon's a chick but im not" and this one
              A toon is your char in the game. It is mmo lingo that goes all the way back to UO.
              Jizu )taru) 19brd, 18 whm, 33 blm, 10 rng, 5 war, 6 rdm, 5 drk

Darkanguish (Galka) 30 war, 29 mnk, 8 thf, 14 pld

Comment

Originally posted by Jizu
                A toon is your char in the game. It is mmo lingo that goes all the way back to UO.
                Why I don't use the term toon to much unless already said. I think that term actually goes further back then UO though.

Cheezy Test Result (I am nerdier than 96% of all people. Are you nerdier? Click here to find out!)

Comment

There's one job that requires more skill than Ninja, and that's Beastmaster.

Ninja is definitely the highest skill requirement of all the party-friendly jobs, closely followed by Red Mage. I think the rest of the jobs fall way behind these 3 for required skill to play "passably", though there are always ways to be an exceptional player regardless of the job you play.

Icemage

Comment

Working...
                  X