How to be an Abyssea Party Leader...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to be an Abyssea Party Leader...?

When I played a few years ago... I was one of those "party/alliance makers" and not so much a "party joiner". You all know what I'm talking about. Since the release of the Abyssea expansions, I've been trying to get the hang of the new stuff so that I can build/run a party effectively... and more important... efficiently.

I understand that the basics:

- Party of 18/18… or an efficient party of at least 9/9 who are capable of holding their own.
    - 1 person designated as the Keyholder/Lights counter who understands the order in which that particular party wishes to accumulate lights (circumstances may vary)
    - Pick a mob to kill who drops the lights you want/need
    - Make sure to have jobs capable of getting Azure / Pearl lights
    - Establish house lotting rules
    - Maintain order

The way I've been trying to set up my parties has been as follows:

The Alliance

Party 1: Main Melee

I try to target people of level 76 and higher who are of efficient DD jobs. Any combination of jobs capable of pulling big melee numbers is put here. The top 3 DD will be placed in this party along with a healer and a buffer capable of AoE buffs such as SS, Hastega… etc.

Party 2: Secondary DD

This party will consist of a similar makeup as the main melee party. The remaining DD will be placed here along with another healer/ buffer capable of AoE buffs. This will ensure that each party’s healer has a set group to focus on, rather than asking all the healers to heal anything that takes damage. This will prevent 2 mages from popping off a Cure IV on the same target and wasting the MP. If your party is doing fine health-wise, and another appears to need help, try to lend a hand where necessary.

Party 3: Mages

This party will consist of the remaining mages who have not been placed as the healers of the first 2 groups. Jobs like SMN, BLM, RDM and SCH who are capable of playing Back-Line jobs apply for this group.

Also in this PT is the keyholder. It's probably the safest place to be anyway...

There are a few roles in these groups that can fluctuate and may potentially apply to any one of the 3. Included in this are…:

The main /assist can either be placed in the first or the second group. Either one would be fitting will usually be decided on a case by case basis.

The puller(s). Depending on the speed at which your party is felling MOBS, you may require 1 or 2 pullers. Pullers can come from any of the 3 groups and will also wind up being decided on a case by case basis.

EPH soloers can also be any number of job combinations and their party placement will depend on what job they are coming as. Because they will likely not be soloing during EPH mobs the entire time, it’s easier to parse them out to a particular group so that they have a role to drop back into upon returning.

Once I have my alliance built, destination chosen, target mob chosen and everyone's attention... I law down the ground rules. I have the simplified versions of these all macro’d so that I don’t have to type everything out each time. I simply fire off 2 or 3 macros and ask if anyone has any questions.

The Rulez

Rule 1: Insert into your seacom the name of the 1 item that you would want most from the potential drops list.
    Rule 1-2: If the item drops while in the zone, you and anyone else who have the same item in their seacom may lot on it.
    Rule 1-3: When you have received your item, clear your seacom.

Rule 2: If you need K. Crests for your Limit Break Quest, tell me how many. You may lot on them until you have recieved the ammount needed.

Rule 3: Any items that drop that are not found in ANYONE's seacom will be left to free fall. This keeps the party more focused on the task at hand, and less focused on the treasure pool.
    Rule 3-2: KI that drop during the course of the party are subject to personal need. The Keyholder will announce that they have dropped. If and only if someone needs it will that chest be opened.
    Rule 3-3: If you have just entered the party as a replacement, you may not lot on anything for the first hour. Nobody who has just entered the alliance should get an AF3 piece within minutes of joining unless nobody else has that item in their seacom… in which case you’re just lucky.

Rule 4: If you're going to leave, say so at least 15 minutes ahead of time.
    Rule 4-2: If you're going to leave, make an effort to ask how much longer the party will be running. If there’s no intention to break the alliance in the near future, try to find a replacement who is of the same or similar job as you are.
    Rule 4-3: If someone DC's, you will have 30 minutes to return before the search will begin for a replacement.

Rule 5: If you need to go AFK, send a /tell to your party leader and let them know how long until you return.
    Rule 5-2: If you need to AFK for an extended period of time, it is up to the leaders to decide if/when to drop or replace you.
    Rule 5-3: Leechers will not be tolerated. If you do not inform your pt leader that you are going AFK and it becomes clear that you have not been actively participating, you will be booted and a replacement will be found.

Rule 6: No Whining. It's a game. You'll get the drop if you put in the time and the patience.
    Rule 6-2: Actively participate. Try not to AFK too much or idle for too long without notifying someone.

Rule 7: One person will (in most cases) be designated as the /assist target. This will prevent make sure that everyone should be attacking the same MOB and not accidentally wake up any sleepers.
    Rule 7-2: In the event that an /assist target is obsolete, one will not be used. Such circumstances include worm parties and ones capable of breaking off into 2 teams to kill double the mobs simultaneously.
    Rule 7-3: Party members should turn /autotarget off to avoid potentially waking a sleeper.

Rule 8: Have fun! Again... it's ultimately a game... not a job. You might as well enjoy yourself!

Disclaimer:
    It should be pointed out that you definitely do not NEED a full alliance (or even a full party) to effectively and efficiently EXP in Abyssea. This mini-guide is simply for those people who want to form a full alliance. This mini-guide is also just a lot my own opinions (along with some community editing). You may do things completely differently and it might work even better! If it does, post here and tell me what it is so that I can keep expanding!

(Still a work in progress)

Thanks to the following people who have contributed to the changes so far:
    Ketaru
    Elwynn
    Neverslip
    IfritnoItazura
    Firewind
    Truece

Keep the critiques coming!
    Last edited by Yygdrasil; 01-11-2011, 11:39 AM. Reason: Major Changes. Many Thanks.

Bastok & Windurst Rank 10. ZM, CoP, ToAU, WoTG, ACP, MKD, ASA & SOA Complete.
    99 Kannagi / 99 Armageddon / 119 Nirvana Adventuring Fellow: Level 99
    99 SMN / 99 NIN / 99 COR / 99 WHM / 99 PUP / 99 BLM / 99 THF / 99 SCH / 99 GEO

Yyg's Blog: Tree of Awesome!

Re: How to be an Abyssea Party Leader...?

Originally posted by Yygdrasil View Post
    Rule 7: Have fun! Again... it's ultimately a game... not a job. You might as well enjoy yourself!
    I think ... you should put this as both rule #1 and #7. I've been in a few parties where this rule was negated. There was a TE alliance I did in Aby-Uleg that was pretty damn snarky to it's members. I did not appreciate this.

Overall I think this is pretty damn good. It's far more structured than I've ever seen with regards to drops.

I like your seacom idea. One thing I've seen over and over and it's not specifically covered in your post is when spells drop. Some parties insist only casters lot but nobody else. I completely disagree with limiting the lotting in this way. Yeah a caster may need the spell... they may not and are just lotting to sell it just as a melee would. You can never really be sure. Melee needs gil just as much as casters need spells. So with regards to drops that are not seacom'd, I think it should be at the individuals discretion to lot if they feel they want/need the drop. I usually give the benefit of the doubt and have gladly passed drops people said they needed that I coulda sold for buko-bucks when I was incredibly broke.
    FFxiv ~ (PS3 Beta) 24THM, 16LNC, 16CNJ, 15MRD/GLD/ARC/PUG
    FFxi ~ (Inactive) 99DNC/THF/SAM/BLU

Any opinions expressed are my own, and potentially unpopular with others. Should this be upsetting, m
    aybe, read it again, insert smiley faces, rainbows, and glitter as needed.

Comment

Originally posted by Neverslip View Post
      I think ... you should put this as both rule #1 and #7. I've been in a few parties where this rule was negated. There was a TE alliance I did in Aby-Uleg that was pretty damn snarky to it's members. I did not appreciate this.

Overall I think this is pretty damn good. It's far more structured than I've ever seen with regards to drops.

I like your seacom idea. One thing I've seen over and over and it's not specifically covered in your post is when spells drop. Some parties insist only casters lot but nobody else. I completely disagree with limiting the lotting in this way. Yeah a caster may need the spell... they may not and are just lotting to sell it just as a melee would. You can never really be sure. Melee needs gil just as much as casters need spells. So with regards to drops that are not seacom'd, I think it should be at the individuals discretion to lot if they feel they want/need the drop. I usually give the benefit of the doubt and have gladly passed drops people said they needed that I coulda sold for buko-bucks when I was incredibly broke.
      You make a good point regarding spells, but I've been treating them the same as any other non-seacom'd drops so far. I like to give people the benefit of the doubt when it comes to freelots. I would like to see the spells go to the people who genuinely need them... but you have to be careful how many rules you put into effect. If there are too many, it boils down to chaos and confusion when drops fall.

You need to keep the rules simple and memorable. I might have a lot of rules... but over 50% of them fall under common sense. Everything else I feel is pretty fair.

Ultimately think of it this way. To put it simply:

- Pick 1 item...if it drops... lot it. When you get it... yay!
      - All other drops, freelot for people who need them
      - If you leave, let someone know. AFK? Give us an ETR. For good? Find a rep.
      - New replacements have a 1 hour cooldown on lotting
      - Dont be a douchebag

Thats it

Comment

Party 1: Melee

I target people of level 76 and higher who are of classic DD jobs... IT MNK, DRG, SAM, RNG, WAR etc...

I put 5 of them in this party and make sure that they have a healer/buffer in their pt... like a RDM, WHM or SCH.

Party 2: Hodgepodge

In this party, I shove all the people who are coming that are of random jobs... like PUP, BLU, BST, NIN etc...

I try to give them their own healer/buffer as well... if circumstances allow.
        ...why do I read your post and get so irritated?
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ketaru View Post
          What makes you irritated? Is it that I lumped PUP, BLU, BST and NIN into a group called "hodgepodge"? If so... why exactly is that irritating?

Comment

I had hoped the playerbase would've gotten past that since the jobs got worthy damage dealer updates. Apparently, I had hoped for too much. NIN isn't just a meleer anymore, it is potentially one of the best from my observation.

Then there's the one about how you only give healers and buffers to these jobs if you can spare them. I wonder why they're being surpassed by the real "melee".
            sigpic

Comment

I had hoped the playerbase would've gotten past that since the jobs got worthy damage dealer updates. Apparently, I had hoped for too much. NIN isn't just a meleer anymore, it is potentially one of the best from my observation.

Then there's the one about how you only give healers and buffers to these jobs if you can spare them. I wonder why they're being surpassed by the real "melee".
              If you had read any of my prior posts you'd know that I've been away from the game for over 2 years now. I've returned to it with only the job memory I had from before I left.

At that point I remember NIN being outdone by SAM, RNG and WAR when it came to DD. NIN was more of a SOLO and TANK option. BLU I never really followed too much, although I'm aware that they perform very well. The others like BST and PUP fall under the same PET category that I as a SMN do. I dont consider myself a DD, because I simply can't pull the same numbers as a DD consistantly.

As for giving a buffer to the "hodgepodge" party. Maybe I'm still fresh, but of the 20 or so Abyssea parties I've been in and the 6 I've formed, I've hardly seen a single person buff the party with AoE ever. It doesn't seem that there is ever a need. I've used Garuda for Hastega and Aerial Armor simply out of habit, but the MOBs drop too fast for defencive buffs to appear to have any lasting effect.

You and Bal can be irritated all you want, but I have effectively (although unhappily) solo-healed my whole alliance in 2 Abyssea parties as a SMN/SCH without any member having buffs that they didnt apply themselves... or that they hardly kept up with. We ran that alliance for well over 8 hours.

I consider that to be one of those "if circumstances allow" senarios.

Again, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

I posted this thread with a "...?" and prefaced it with a reminder that I had just returned to the game recently in hopes that members of this forum would tell me what they liked or provide constructive criticism for the things they didn't. Apparently, I hoped for too much myself.

Next time you feel the need to be "irritated with" one of my posts, I hope you feel more than welcome to openly discuss constructive changes with me.

You should look into the job-changes that have happened in the past few updates. A lot of jobs that you listed in the "hodgepodge" category... like NIN now make really effective (if not some of the best) DDs.

That would have been a post I would have liked to see... considering nearly every thread/post I've put on this site since returning to the game has been in the form of a question. I'm trying to catch back up.

Thanks for the flame.

Comment

Thanks for the flame.
                No, flaming you would be calling an ignorant, dullard imbecile.

I'm going to at least give you the credit of admitting you condescendingly categorized the jobs without at least knowing the facts.
                sigpic

Comment

I'm going to at least give you the credit of admitting you condescendingly categorized the jobs without at least knowing the facts.
                  No. Calling your mother an alcheholic, gender-confused suicide risk would be condescendingly categorizing something without knowing the facts. Me lumping job's i'm not familiar with into an easy to wrap giftbox and labeling it "hodgepodge" is personal preference.

Also: I'm sure your mother is a lovely and perfectly normal human being, it was just the most colorful picture I thought of. It begged to be painted into words.

Also Also: Your mastery of word-craft is formitable. I have thus-far enjoyed debating with someone posessing such a verbose diction. It's refreshing.

Comment

It may be your personal preference. But I'm sure, as as SMN, you can appreciate that most people who know their jobs knows what happens when word gets around that theirs is in the Miscellaneous section (read: it leads to the masses not knowing what to do with the job and therefore just not inviting it)

But if you want something constructively added to your post, the fact these days is that it pretty much matters less what job you are and matters more what your gear quality is and what Atma you're using. The Atma one is particularly important. For example:

Razed Ruins doesn't benefit SAM as much because SAM doesn't have a common critical hit weaponskill (I don't know what Tachi:Fudo is, but that's uncommon to have).

Pet jobs, on the other hand, benefit from Atma in a way that they never have from traditional support: Atma actually applies to their pets as well. So not only is a BST getting more DEX, +Crit hit rate, and +Crit damage from equipping Razed Ruins. Their pet does as well.

Even select RDMs are throwing out 3.5K weaponskills apparently. But then again, they're even better nukers now. In fact, nukers can be competitive with frontline damage dealers provided they have the Atma to negate the MP limitation.
                    sigpic

Comment

It may be your personal preference. But I'm sure, as as SMN, you can appreciate that most people who know their jobs knows what happens when word gets around that theirs is in the Miscellaneous section (read: it leads to the masses not knowing what to do with the job and therefore just not inviting it)
                      I know all too well how having a "fuzzy area" job gets you denied access to a party, which is why I make sure to invite everyone who asks... as long as they are of appropriate level. I also don't get offended when people deny me access. I've gotten used to trying to solo things or to find 1 or 2 people to trio with. It's a game... nothing to take personal offence to. People treat it too much like a job... or worse... an extention of their RL. It's a game.

Pet jobs, on the other hand, benefit from Atma in a way that they never have from traditional support: Atma actually applies to their pets as well. So not only is a BST getting more DEX, +Crit hit rate, and +Crit damage from equipping Razed Ruins. Their pet does as well.
                      This I knew. I'm loving Raised (Razed?) Ruins on my SMN. I also have Atma of the Lion on as well. The 2 of them combined make Garuda awsome. I know there are better ones, but I'm having a lot of fun Pred Claws-ing for over 3k.

I hope all feelings of irritation have been soothed.

We cool? We besties again? Can we still snuggle get a beer some time?

---------- Post added at 11:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:52 PM ----------

the Atma to negate the MP limitation.
                      Atma of the Minikin Monstrosity

Comment

Mmm, yeah, PUP can nuke too. The point of having nukers in an aby alliance is getting azure lights, and PUP can do that quite well. Of course no RDM is going to be able to cast Refresh on your action figure, so it's not like you need to be in the nuker party. The inability to buff pets is the real reason to have a "hodgepodge" party.

When I took my PUP from 85 to 90, I did pretty well on worms. After we got lights up, I switched to Valoredge/Spiritreaver (Cure IV with no stupid debuffs), with Full Moon atma (5mp for me AND the action figure). It was a while before I realized that Kenbishi wasn't running out of MP af fast as he should. At about 88 or so I was going out and soloing worms (they cap at 89-90) until others finished their worm and latched onto mine, and doing most of my own healing (PUP/WHM). Energizer. Fucking. Bunny.

The fact that atma affects your pet is yet another genius maneuver by the designers of Abyssea.

As for giving a buffer to the "hodgepodge" party. Maybe I'm still fresh, but of the 20 or so Abyssea parties I've been in and the 6 I've formed, I've hardly seen a single person buff the party with AoE ever. It doesn't seem that there is ever a need. I've used Garuda for Hastega and Aerial Armor simply out of habit
                        Also, atma is making BRD buffs less important, though they do still stack. Really, the only buff that matters to mages is refresh, and if you have atma, "minor" refresh is 5mp/tick, and a sane WHM is going to sub RDM if BLM is the only other choice. BRD can still be important for Horde Lullaby, depending on the camp.

but the MOBs drop too fast for defencive buffs to appear to have any lasting effect.
                        That's the sign of a good aby alliance... people are killing too fast to get hurt. For most mob types (the ones that aren't worms*), you want a PLD as an assist target to take the few hits that come in.

In fact, that's something that you have missing:
                        * one person is the designated /assist target, so that everyone is attacking the same mob and not waking up the sleepers
                        * everyone must "/autotarget off" to prevent waking up a sleeper

Having an assist can slow things down a bit, especially for someone on a pet job, due to the delays in starting to attack a mob, but it makes things a lot safer. Yeah, it's no fun when the mob is at 50% by the time I've got both me and the pet attacking, but at least I'm not waking up the sleepers.

That would have been a post I would have liked to see... considering nearly every thread/post I've put on this site since returning to the game has been in the form of a question. I'm trying to catch back up.
                        It doesn't help that it seems like there's more than twice as much talk about XIV on this board these days. Or maybe every other post over there is J9.

*worms are pretty much a free-for-all, just don't run too far away, and watch out for Mikey
                        Elwynn @ Fairy Elwynbelwyn @ Sylph | PS2 PC
                        99 Everything, mostly play PUP, WHM, and sometimes BST
                        F13.1 W60.0 S54.1 G63.2 Cl70.0+1 L70.0 B54.0 A69.4 Co59.6

>2012
                        >not having all jobs at 99

Quasilumin : Examination complete. Examinee unregistered. Kuluu syndrome detected. Displays tendency towards cowardice. Report to infirmary for treatment.

Comment

Originally posted by Elwynn View Post
                          It doesn't help that it seems like there's more than twice as much talk about XIV on this board these days. Or maybe every other post over there is J9.]
                          Not JUST J9.... Aeni too.

I was also a big factor over there before I finally gave up and came back to FFXI.

Comment

I'm tired of being in alliances where there is no MA and I have to figure out by process of elimination just who I will designate as my MA.

Originally posted by Elwynn View Post
                            It doesn't help that it seems like there's more than twice as much talk about XIV on this board these days.
                            Yeah... I thought I remember a Dreams(Nightmares) of Eorza potentially planned....
                            FFxiv ~ (PS3 Beta) 24THM, 16LNC, 16CNJ, 15MRD/GLD/ARC/PUG
                            FFxi ~ (Inactive) 99DNC/THF/SAM/BLU

Any opinions expressed are my own, and potentially unpopular with others. Should this be upsetting, m
                            aybe, read it again, insert smiley faces, rainbows, and glitter as needed.

Comment

I understand that the basics:

- Party of 18/18 including 1 Keyholder/Lights counter
                              - Pick a mob to kill who drops the lights you want/need
                              - Establish house lotting rules
                              - Maintain order
                              1. Don't need 18/18. If you have decent players, 9~12 can work just fine.
                              2. 'Basics' should include jobs which can get Azure and Pearl lights--especially worry about Azure light if getting a melee heavy alliance.

Party 1: Melee

I target people of level 76 and higher who are of classic DD jobs... IT MNK, DRG, SAM, RNG, WAR etc...

I put 5 of them in this party and make sure that they have a healer/buffer in their pt... like a RDM, WHM or SCH.

Party 2: Hodgepodge

In this party, I shove all the people who are coming that are of random jobs... like PUP, BLU, BST, NIN etc...

I try to give them their own healer/buffer as well... if circumstances allow.
                              Well, what would be more ideal would be to put the best melee people in the party with the haste buffs--that's with Haste, March x2, Haste Samba, etc. e.g. If a PUP is one of your best melees, put the PUP in there. And, yes, I've seen that PUP who outdamaged all the other DDs before. (Heck, my PLD outdamaged most DDs in pickup groups, but nevermind. orz )

May have to do a little guessing, but that SAM who's in Hachiman Domaru and responds to "Show me your TP set" with "Huh?" probably shouldn't be in your "Party 1". It's worth the effort to screen the DDs a bit; three decent DDs with March x2 (BRD), Haste Samba (DNC), and Haste(ga) (WHM, RDM, SMN, or SCH/WHM) will blow away any five average to decent DDs with a WHM in party.

Party 3: Mages
                              In this party, I stick the mage/spellcasting classes... like SMN, WHM, BLM, RDM and SCH who arent being used as a healer/buffer in either party 1 or 2.

Also in this PT is the keyholder. It's probably the safest place to be anyway...
                              Don't really think you need a third party; party 2 can be the mages and misc. By the way, one of the best use for BLMs after capping Azure light, is to use them as a puller and sleeper.

If you're bent on building a magic damage party, though, try to get a COR or SMN in there.

Teh Rulez

Rule 4-2: If you're going to leave, make an effort to find a replacement who is of the same or similar job as you are.
                              Should really ask "How much longer is the alliance going to go?" first. No point inviting someone if the alliance is going to break in 30 min.

Rule 5-3: Leechers will not be tollerated. If you do not inform your pt leader that you are going afk and it becomes clear that you have not been actively participating, you will be booted and a replacement will be found.
                              *clap* *clap* *clap*

Should also replace WHMs who won't cast Haste on melees.

I don't really like those 12+ hr alliances. Heck, I can barely last for 6 hours, max. It's much better to have a slightly smaller group that stays for 4 hours instead of keep replacing people to force the alliance to go for 8 hours, IMO.
                              Bamboo shadows sweep the stars,
                              yet not a mote of dust is stirred;
                              Moonlight pierces the depths of the pond,
                              leaving no trace in the water.

- Mugaku

Comment

Working...
                              X