This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ZOMG! You're Doing Your Job TOO Well!

Let me preface this by saying that I love RDM. As a personal preferance, I prefer RDM in XP parties over BRD. That is, if I had a choice between an RDM I didn't know, and a BRD I didn't know, I'd take the RDM. I my RDM long time.

And I know that RDM have a lot to do. Really, I understand this. I've posted about it before giving kudos to the insanity that RDM players must deal with. But I don't tell you how to do your job unless you are very obviously forgetting something, and when you do your job well, I don't disrespect you for it.

Hell, that goes for any job. If you do it well, I don't complain. But ZOMG! If you have MP you must be an XP leech!

Here's the story.

Party: War/Nin, War/Nin, War/Nin, Rng/Nin, Whm/Blm, Rdm/Whm

Okay. So the RDM says in party chat that he wants me to haste person A and B, and he'll haste person Y and Z. I'm thinking, "allright! I only have to haste two people!" 'cause I was expecting four. I even offered to haste 4 people and was told "its okay."

So 25 minutes later, I've been keeping everyone alive with nothing but Regen III and Regen II, and I finish each battle with over 950 MP (out of 1035), and every party member in the white. Not once have I dropped below 900 MP, and this is with hasting, re-hasting when slowed, and poisona'ing the party.

Meanwhile, the RDM has half MP, hasn't come close to needing a convert, and no one has dropped below yellow in the party. We're five chaning perfectly with no downtime, and pulling some -really- nice XP.

In short, one of the pest parties I've been in for a very long time.

So what does the redmage say to me? "Dude, are you going to cure anyone? Stop casting regen. If you don't use your MP you're just leeching XP."

*SCreeeeeeeeeeeeech!* Hold up! What? I thought my job in the party was to Haste two people, remove status, and to keep everyone alive. We're already 5-chaining back to back chains with no down time, and no amount of Banish is going to let use get us enough amount of time to chain 6 or chain 7. Not with the number of mobs available and where they spawn.

So the argument ensues. I tell the RDM to stop telling me how to do my job, I was invited to keep people alive, and my magic is worthless as DD at this level. So are my enfeebs. Eventually the PT leader backs me up, tells the RDM to stuff it and not complain till I let someone die.

Another half hour goes by, the RDM is meleeing, won't cast refresh on me because "I have enough MP" and won't backup heal "because I have enough mp". So here I am now -HAVING- to cast full cure spells because I have an additional melee to cure (poison breath attack thing hitting multiple people now) and the only way to keep up is to cure as well as regen.

What do you suppose happened? We don't have a proper tank, remember? They were bouncing hate. Sure enough First time I cast Cure V, I pull hate. So I try Cure 3 later on, and try to lay a Regen II on top of it. Pull Hate. I try Regen III and Cure 2. Pull hate. Why do you suppose? Cause now I'm tossing Cures left and right just to keep up because the RDM is refusing to cast cure at all, and is taking damage like a melee. I pull hate, I take damage, so now I have to cure myself as well becaue - guess what - RDM won't cure me.

Yes, I have a lot of MP. I have a lot of MP for a -reason- and that reason is because I choose to focus on MP and maximize my ability to manage that through food and equipment. I do this for several reasons. No matter how much I increase my MND or INT, there will always be a BRD or RDM in my XP party that can enfeeb better than me - mine won't stick without Elemental Seal /regardless/ of how much I stack the odds in my favor. So I don't - I go for MP instead.

And you know what? When my party pulls a double link and sleep won't stick, I can still keep everyone alive without using Benidiction. In fact, I can go up against three IT++ mobs back to back to back and finish with MP to spare. Just because you can't, or choose not to play that way, doesn't mean I'm an XP leech.

Well, obviously this RDM is just plain retarded. We can all see a million reasons why. But this brings me to the moral of the story.

For the LOVE OF GOD don't bitch, moan, whine, and complain because someone can do a job better than you. Do what you do, I'll do what I do. Don't tell me to do something my job can't do, and don't try and prove its possible by screwing over a party by not doing your job.

Re: ZOMG! You're Doing Your Job TOO Well!

agreed. that RDM is a retard.

however, playing devil's advocate here, is it possible that the party was in white because the RDM was throwing some cures in there and not just cause of your regens?

Thanks Yyg!

Comment

/blist add red mage

I'm surprised he didn't get kicked out of the party when he stopped refreshing and started meleeing. Why the hell wouldn't you?
      lagolakshmi on Guildwork :: Lago Aletheia on Lodestone

Comment

Oh, absoulty. In fact, I'd go so far to say that most RDM, BLM, and SMN don't realize -just- how much even one or two backup cures could be. And when this RDM -was- doing his job he did it superbly well. He would cure if they hit yellow, but only if I was mid-cast on another spell, and he -rarely- fully cured. So if someone DID have a regen3 on, that 65 MP of mine wasn't waisted.

I'd say on average he was casting about one or two Cure III per battle. Just enough to ofset the casting time of Regen. Like I said, initially the party was -awesome- and just worked perfectly. If anything though, it shows his complaint even less valid.

Simple casting times would have prevented him from main healing as efficiently, and if he needed the MP I still could have picked up the other two Haste and still maintained most my MP with refresh.

One thing I did forget, despite his complaints about me being lazy, he was the one who said, "Tell me if you need a dispell." -.- Go figure.

Comment

So what does the redmage say to me? "Dude, are you going to cure anyone? Stop casting regen. If you don't use your MP you're just leeching XP."
          wow I read to this part and I can already feel your frustration.
          There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot,
          but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence
          transform a yellow spot into the sun.

- Pablo Picasso

Comment

aka dont mess with a good thing

RNG67 BRD66 THF55 NIN35 WHM31 RDM35 WAR24 PLD30

Comment

as rdm and blm both, i tend to "backup" heal too much, this one time the whm actually said "might as well get another blm or something"

we loled
              signatures are for pussies mew mew mew, here's mine

Comment

When I was running amok on Midgard still as Fyona the mighty Paladin >.> I had quite a few people tell me I was doing my job too well.

Ninja's hated me, So did power levelers. Because I COULDN'T lose hate.

Mithra PLD with focus on Mnd/MP + Gear along with Vit. Hell in valkurm I was doing more powerful cures then most of the whm's I partied with.

I finally got into a party that was me, two ninja, a dark, a blm and a whm. The ninja would be duoing with ut, and I would just help cure and use my G-Swords/Polearms for some "DD" action while being there incase of fuck ups to continue tanking. It Almost every other "Turn" the ninjas were taking to recast ut, they would both loose hate to the DRK or BLM. So I'd be helping the whm cure them, while switching back to shield and sword to take on tanking while the ninjas finished recasting. After the 5th or 6th Close call with the BLM. I said screw it and went full tank on them. They kept TRYING to take hate off me but they kept Failing to do that. Even with them spaming elementals and enfeebs, and the BLM going hog wild with nukes. I just sat there taking everything the gobs, crabs, and yes wrights could throw at me. The whm rarely having to cure me, because my MP was already godly along with TavTacos. After about 6 Fights of me blitz tanking the ninjas so they couldn't waste the mp of the whm anymore curing the other party members. they both started whining saying that *I* was wasting the whm's mp by making him cure my damage while they could completely evade damage.

*Sigh* PLD + WHM Parties.

Comment

Well, out of respect for my friend who just returned to Vana'diel, I took up her slack in a PT recently. LOL Me (RDM) and her (WHM) I had to explain to her a bit about what she needed to do and what you should be doing.

Of course, this consumed a lot of my concentration and efforts. While the WHM had 80-100% MP each fight, I was converting on the dot. Of course, none of the melees were in the yellow and everyone happily hasted and refreshed. We chained to 4s and 5s and were doing well.

But I think the RDM in your PT shouldn't be worried so much about what other people are doing. However, I disagree with your comments about how you can't DD. Use this time to raise your divine skills since you rarely can get that opportunity. If you say you're being efficient, then you should also be efficient with your time as well.

That's just my two cents.

Comment

Can't raise divine in a situation like that; not efficiently however. Banish, Holy, etc. all draw too much hate. If there was a proper tank, sure. But with hate bouncing around like a superball, and even low-level cures drawing hate, it'd be near impossible to effectively raise divine without dying.

Comment

The RDM was good up till a point- Where they drew their sword.

Any RDM who takes a moment of lull to draw their sword during an exp like that deserves to be shot.

Point Blank.

With a Rail Gun.

Full of rabid hampsters.

No matter how bored I am, there is always something to do. Melee taking damage, buffs dropping, Refreshing, etc.

I Refresh every VD hour, so I have no time to draw my sword, lose visibility of my clock and miss out. It's bad enough chat logs have bad filters that suck, we don't need. . . ok, let me stop detracting.

The RDM was simply an asshat for saying that. I've sometimes have seen a WHM with a lot of MP, but that is because, like you've stated, there was good MP management and good teamwork with the BRD and/or RDM.

Personally, I hate BRDs as well, because they will leave me w/o Ballad for like 10 seconds or something stupid like that. Often, I've been forgotten until their NEXT cycle. . . To someone like myself, who prides himself on never dropping Refresh, this is unnaceptable.

Simple answer, should have taken the pt for what it WAS* and tried to compromise. Some RDMs realize the power they wield for a pt, but if you threaten their integrity. . . Just a siggestion ^_~
                      The Tao of Ren
                      FFXIV LowRes Benchmark - 5011

If we don't like something, collectively, if our hatred for it throbs like an abscess beneath every thread, does that mean that they're doing something right?
                      Originally posted by Kaeko
                      As hard as it may be, don't take this game or your characters too seriously. I promise you - the guys that really own your account don't.

Comment

Wow, that RDM was a real jackass. You've got a good PT going...why ruin it with unfounded, needless criticism for another player? If I were your PT leader, I'd have kicked him as soon as he started doing those things just to spite you (and hurting the PT in the process).

You know, frighteningly enough, he reminds me of someone I play D&D with IRL. He's only still in our gaming group because his sweet, lovely fiancee plays, too. (Why do all the good ones end up with the jerks?)

Personally, I hate BRDs as well, because they will leave me w/o Ballad for like 10 seconds or something stupid like that.
                        Don't lump all Bards into this category. Yes, there are some pretty bad Bards out there, but from my experience, I'd say the majority of them are at least decent, especially in the end game.

Personally, I never let Ballad go stale on my mages. The only time it's allowed to wear off on them is if I somehow get killed.
                        All Nations: Rank 10
                        Rise of the Zilart: Complete
                        Chains of Promathia: Complete
                        75 BRD/75 WHM/75 BLM/75 MNK/75 RDM/57 DRK/40 THF/39 WAR/37 NIN & SMN/All the rest < 37

What to level next? (DRK!)

Comment

i think a few moments where we miss ballad is ok. we're all humans, we make mistakes.
                          As long as the PT as a whole still performs so well, such complaints were really stupid.
                          There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot,
                          but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence
                          transform a yellow spot into the sun.

- Pablo Picasso

Comment

Personally, I hate BRDs as well, because they will leave me w/o Ballad for like 10 seconds or something stupid like that.
                            i can see this happening when BRDs are the pullers, generally by the time you're done casting melee songs and debuffs the mob is near dead and you're back out pulling in order to keep up the chain.. and even by switching between melee songs on one mob and mages on the next there are times where ballads wear off esp. when on long pulls and you have to cast melee songs two consecutive fights or when you have to take a pause to throw a few cures or -na spells.. and the 8sec cast time doesn't really help -___-. probably for me, i have no real issue keeping ballads up on mages except when i get in an exp PT with a PLD+THF... in which im still slightly confused as to whether or not its more important to keep 2x ballads on the PLD or melee songs on the THF >.>

plus, you have to take into consideration that ballad is an AoE song.. whereas refresh isn't. thus you come across the times where the mobs come running to the backline with all the melees chasing after in the middle of casting ballad, thus resulting in having to cancel the song and start the 8sec cycle all over again ; ;

Comment

I used to do what I could to avoid hitting the THF with ballad....but I sort of gave up after a while. If the THF wants to stand behind the PLD all the time, then they're going to get ballad. If they only stand behind the PLD to sneak/trick, then I'll wait for them to finish before I do ballad.
                              Last edited by Tirrock; 04-30-2006, 11:18 PM. Reason: Removed extremely off-topic paragraph.
                              Generic Info!

Comment

Working...
                              X