Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GM etiquitte.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • GM etiquitte.

    To keep players of FINAL FANTASY XI happy, Square-Enix hired people to act as mediators and judges in the game. There are three ranks of GM. GMs most of the time have about 19 calls in queue during peak NA times.

    The first is Game Master. This is the lowest in power of the GMs. They get "Judge's" equipment, God Mode, server change, invisible, send players to a dungeon (called Jail by most) for a period of time, ban accounts, check log windows, and some other powers to help get players unstuck or out of the water in Windurst (happened once.)

    Then comes Senior Game Master. They can make decisions about the judgement of Game Masters and retract actions taken against players.

    Finally is Lead GM. Lead GM is like the GM of GMs. Lead GM of FINAL FANASY XI in the North American version is named Sagesundi. He can do pretty much whatever he wants. He controls the hiring/firing of GMs and can overrule their actions. He can also change the level cap for himself (played at level 81 for a while.)

    At some point in FINAL FANTASY XI, you will call a GM or have a GM called on you. This guide is designed to make a good game experience, make the GM's life easier, and keep you out of jail or banned. This is just from personal experience...

    There is a rule against wasting a GM's time, so make it short and sweet.

    ************************
    Tips for calling a Game Master
    ************************
    If you call a GM, make sure you do the following:

    TIP 1: Deeply consider whether you have enough base for calling a GM. Though most GMs won't tell you, they obviously get a lot of frivolous calls about which they can do nothing. Consider every possibilty.

    Example: I actually did this once
    Call description: NPCs will no longer let me on the ship to Kazham under the pretense I don't have a pass.

    [GM] Name: Hello, Player! This is Game Master [Name].
    [GM] Name: You forgot to install the Rise of the Zilart expansion on the 4th disc.
    Player: Oh... I reinstalled yesterday. Sorry for wasting your time.
    [GM] Name: Heh... not a waste at all.
    [GM] Name: Is there anything else I can help you with today?
    Player: No, that's all, thank you. I know you are busy.
    [GM] Name: Enjoy your game, Player.
    Player: Likewise.

    See? I made a call without considering every possibility. However, I apologized and let him move onto his next call. I know he was upset, but I did all I could to rectify the situation and we got a chuckle.

    TIP 2: Make your problem description as brief and accurate as possible. They will assess the situation before contacting you and many GMs have thanked me for being able to just contact me telling me the problem.

    Example: (I didn't do this one
    Call description: There is a guy who is annoying me.

    [GM] Name: Hello, Player! This is Game Master [Name.]
    [GM] Name: I noticed in your description you seem upset. What seems to be the problem?
    Player: Well, this guy here keeps telling us all of this stuff.
    [GM] Name: Is any of it profane and used in public chat modes?
    Player: No. But he called us fags in /tells.
    [GM] Name: How unfortunate. Well, sadly I can not do anything as it is not against the TOS.
    Player: Oh well.
    [GM] Name: Is there anything else I can help you with?
    Player: No, that's all, thank you.
    [GM] Name: Enjoy your game, Player!

    That was a bit lengthy. The player should have been more specific in his call description and it could have been more like this. The GM was, as most of them are, very polite nonetheless.

    Example:
    Call description: A player called me and my party fags in /tells.

    [GM] Name: Hello, Player! This is Game Master [Name.]
    [GM] Name: Sadly, I can not do anything about this as there was no profanity in public channels.
    Player: That is a shame. Thank you anyway.
    [GM] Name: Is there anything else I can help you with?
    Player: No, that's all, thank you.
    [GM] Name: Enjoy your game, Player!

    That was better. The service was quicker for the player and the GM got to move onto his next call.

    TIP 3: Show a general tone of respect for their job and what it entails. They go through a lot, and you spouting comments at them helps no one.

    Example:
    Call description: A player called for near me and ran as soon as I helped. MPK?

    [GM] Name: Hello, Player! This is Game Master [Name.]
    [GM] Name: Please elaborate on your problem.
    Player: I think that my call description says it all.
    [GM] Name: I am only trying to find out the minute details.
    Player: Well, these douches here called me for help and as SOON as I took aggro, they ran.
    [GM] Name: I am sorry, and you really shouldn't say that about other players.
    [GM] Name: While it is unfortunate, unless I can prove that they intended for you to die.
    Player: You are a GM!?! WTF?! Just give them a ban or something!
    [GM] Name: I cannot give them a ban.
    Player: You suck, you don't help.
    [GM] Name: Fine. I think you need a time out.
    [GM] Name sends Player to jail.

    Not too good. The player showed no respect for the fact that the GM's hands were tied. This only resulted in him getting jailtime and the poor guy whose call is recieved by that GM....good luck to him.

    TIP 4: If something happened to your whole party, make sure that only one person calls the GM. A whole party calling GMs for one thing is not a good thing. Various GMs will grab the various calls and you will end up wasting more than one GM's time.

    No example needed.

    TIP 5: GMs cannot tell you what actions they take against players, or even if they took any. Don't press the matter when they tell you.

  • #2
    ************************
    Tips for if a GM is called on you
    ************************

    TIP 1: DO NOT DISS THE PERSON WHO CALLED THE GM ON YOU TO THE GM! BAD IDEA!

    Example:

    [GM] Name: I have recieved a call from a player regarding your behavior in FINAL FANTASY XI.
    [GM] Name: The player claims that you called him a "PS2 n00b," Player: That's because he's an asshat, and a stupid PS2 n00b who knows nothing.
    [GM] Name: I see where he was coming from. I think you should take a break from playing.
    GM sends player to jail.

    This turned out really really terribly. Do not use any insult on another player when talking to a GM. Saying "I found this player's decisions in the party to be potentially dangerous. I politely suggeseted new tactics for him, but he refused them and yelled at me." The GM will check the chat log and will find that a) you are telling the truth and you don't deserve jail or b) you are lying through your teeth and deserve to take 5.

    TIP 2: If you get in trouble, even if you don't find it your fault, act like an adult and apologize anyway. Don't act like a four year old and insist that you are right and they are wrong. Doing this with figures of authority is never a good idea.

    Example: (Starts in the middle of the convo)

    [GM] Name: Sadly I have to say that what you did is not allowed by TOS and that your /shout "F*****S!" is not acceptable. Take a five minute time out in jail.
    GM sends player to jail.
    Player: Hey! This is bullshit! I did nothing wrong!
    [GM] Name: Too late. You are in jail. Just stand here. If you log out, I will add time on.
    Player /sits.
    [GM] Name: What do you think this is, a lounge? Get up now!
    Player gets up.
    [GM] Name: Goodbye.
    Player: This ain't over. This is totally bullshit. I am not taking this trash.
    [GM] Name: I think you need a little more time in jail to calm down.
    GM adds 30 minutes to timeout.

    Look what acting like a prick got player? More jail time and a pissed off GM. This deserves another, correct example.

    Example: (at same spot)

    [GM] Name: Sadly I have to say that what you did is not allowed by TOS and that your /shout "F*****S!" is not acceptable. Take a five minute time out in jail.
    Player: I am really sorry. I was simply upset and I should have put it in /tell. I know I will get jailtime, but I deserve it. I want to say that I am sorry for taking your time.
    [GM] Name: You have to spend time in jail for the TOS break.
    GM sends player to jail.
    [GM] Name: Spend 5 minutes in here.
    Player: Okay. May I /sit?
    [GM] Name: Go ahead.
    [GM] Name: I hope you have learned your lesson about courtesy.
    Player: I have. I promise I will control my temper and it will never happen again.
    [GM] Name: I am glad. Hopefully won't talk to you later! ^^ [yes, GMs use this]

    The GM is glad that the player learned his lesson and you got five minutes in jail as opposed to 35. It is simply [un]common courtesy. I know that the personality of GMs vary, and be careful not to sound sarcastic or kiss-ass-y, like you are hoping to get less jailtime, this makes this tip backfire.

    **********
    Fishing bots
    **********

    There is a lot of controversy on calling GMs to report potential fishing botters (players who use outside programs to fish for them while they are away from the computer.) Some fishers just don't like being bothered by players constantly /telling them to see if they respond. Some players call GMs to report a botter. Some tips regarding this:

    TIP 1: If you are thinking of calling a GM to report a bot, make sure that you have done everything you can to ensure that he/she doesn't respond to you. One /tell and a 30 second wait DOES NOT count.

    TIP 2: If a GM is called on you and "probes" you to see if you are a botter (/tells you to see if you respond,) just be polite, since they will normally do the same.

    Example:

    [GM] Name: So, how are they biting?
    Player: Look, you are the sixth GM to probe me. I AM NOT A BOTTER! Good Lord, don't you people have anything better to do?
    [GM] Name: Please be more polite. This is your warning.
    Player: Yeah? What're you going to do to me? I have not broken TOS.
    [GM] Name: Yeah? You must've forgotten that talking to a GM like that after you have been warned is punishable.
    GM sends player to jail.

    Just don't. Just don't. They have no way of knowing how many GMs have probed you already.

    **********
    General tips
    **********

    GMs tend to be polite at first, regardless of their mood. Sadly, they tend to do that only to hide their stress. Piss them off a bit, and this is LET LOOSE! Talk about people who can snap damn fast, because they deal with a lot of frivolous/pointless calls every day. But this works to your advantage. Usually, if you show some respect, they will be very nice, as you improved their mood by showing that not all players are stupid assholes.

    Comment


    • #3
      Oh, and Sage Sundi (Lead GM in NA version. Pretty much "Game God") posted some info on his account on the ffvault.ign.com forums:

      Sage Sundi's post

      Comment


      • #4
        you forgot the part when 90% of the time you have a viable reason to call the GM and he says

        "i can't do shit"
        "have a safe journey"
        No Comment

        Comment


        • #5
          What is the deal with /sit in jail? Why would they possibly care? It's not like real life, where standing takes more effort than sitting. Both take equal effort in game (zero).

          Centurio X-I 1/1 - Celphie 1/1 - Deadly Dodo 0/2 - Doppleganger Dio 0/1 - Jaggedy-eared Jack 0/7 - Joo Duzu the Whirlwind 1/1 - Leaping Lizzy 2/16 - Mimas 0/1 - Odqan 1/9 - Orcish Wallbreacher 0/1 - Ose 1/3 - Sagittarius X-XIII 1/1 - Serpopard Ishtar 3/6 - Silk Caterpillar 1/2 - Tom Tit Tat 0/2 - Trickster Kinetix 0/2 - Valkurm Emperor 6/10 - Wyvernpoacher Drachlox 1/1

          Comment


          • #6
            hehe.. this is a pretty amusing post... I've never called on a GM or had one call on me, but I find it funny that they won't let you sit in jail. Is the Jail a room with 4 walls? I presume jail is in the Obulique in Sandy... can you visit players who are locked there?

            I'm also curious where you got the examples from? Are they from personal experience or you hear this from other people?
            75DRK/75BRD/42WHM/40WAR/40THF/40BLM/37NIN/30BST/24SAM/15MNK
            -RETIRED-


            http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/profile.xml?7810

            Comment

            Working...
            X