Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Checking others w/o asking? Rude or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Checking others w/o asking? Rude or not?

With the japanese gamers it seems to be rude not to ask before you check another player. But when i played NA beta.. it didn't seem to be rude at all. The only time i had ever heard of a complaint when someone checked someone else without asking was when i was lvl 10 and checked someone in the SarutaBaruta ruins.. She (Mithra) said "Ask before you check next time please" and i apolgized... whenever i did ask someone before i checked him/her they just said like "oh yeah sure go ahead!" almost as if they thought it was weird taht I was asking...

I think checking mutliple times it rude but just once I personally think is fine. Isn't the point of going anon so people can't see your stats and whatnot when you are checked?

Well i'd like to hear your opinions.. please vote and post your 2 cents.

Is checking without asking rude or not?

(EDIT- Made a typo in the poll title.. oops )
    ~MagicPatrick (aka DragonNova)
    Masterchef was my mule btw ^_^
    *FFXI Beta Stats*
    Dragonnova - Cactaur - Windurst - Rank 3
    LVL 31 Monk, LVL 12 WAR, LVL 9 RDM, LVL 4 BST, LVL 3 Thief
    LinkShells: Salvation, Phoenix Down, StarsofDestiny, UnionOfIfrit, ForcesofValor, Legacy, Suikoden, KnightsofSandoria, SavannaSuperstars, Karma
    Craft Skills: Cooking (54), Alchemy (4), Fishing (4), Boneworking (2), Woodworking (1)

I think of it like this:

If it offends the target, then you probably shouldn't do it. Consider using foul language. It may only actually offend 10% of the people who may possibly hear you at any time if you spout of a string of expletives in public. Since you can never know which 10% that may be, you shouldn't run around in public places cursing if you don't want to offend people.

Some people simply don't care if they offend others.

Personally, I think that if you mind getting checked, you should probably use the chat filter that removes that message from your log. That way it can never bother you again. Square put the check option in for a reason, and they put the filter in for a reason too. Still, I don't check people unless they have a bazaar or I ask first.

Comment

I think it's only rude if you check more than once ~..
      http://www.livejournal.com/users/zandria_/
      ---
      Dra Bmyhad Ec Toehk - FF7
      ----
      Final Fantasy XI - Zandria

Comment

I think its rude to check someone and make some remark about their equipment if its not good enough or something like that. But checking just by curiousity isn't rude.
        BRD 75 / NIN 66 / WHM 37 / WAR 30 / RDM 23 / BST 20

San d'Oria Rank 10
        Zilart Mission 14
        CoP Chapter 4-2

Comment

Like John said, I only check a person once, no need to check them more than once.
          Blm.75 - Whm.56 - Mnk.58 - Rdm.48 - Nin.37 - War.37 - Drk.37

Merits - 98
          Goldsmith - 85.2

Comment

Maybe the people that think that it's rude should go into the configuration menu and turn it off.
            Rodin - Ragnarok Server (Out of Retirement)
            90BRD 90SMN 90WHM 75BLM 75RDM 61BST 50RNG 37NIN 37THF

Goal: All jobs max level and capped merits.

Comment

Originally posted by Rodin
              Maybe the people that think that it's rude should go into the configuration menu and turn it off.

I bet you had a problem before ;D.
              Blm.75 - Whm.56 - Mnk.58 - Rdm.48 - Nin.37 - War.37 - Drk.37

Merits - 98
              Goldsmith - 85.2

Comment

There was a thread concerning this somewhere on these forums. The gist of it is that most Japanese people consider it rude if you check them without permission, whereas most NA people don't mind.

Part of the problem is the wording of the check message in the Japanese client. The message is worded with a negative connotation, as if the person you're checking did something wrong, so that's one reason they don't like being checked. I think it's something to the effect of "soandso peers intently at you".

Imagine if the check message in the NA client was "soandso glares at you" each time you get checked. It can get tiring after a while.

Comment

I think it would be more annoying to be sent a /tell asking if they could check me. It doesn't bother me as long as people don't do it often.
                  Koy: Male/TaruTaru Rank 2 30 WHM |15 BLM | 11 BST | 10 PLD | 5 War | 6 MNK | 13 THF | 1 RDM - retired

Puki: Male/TaruTaru 11 THF | 7 RDM - mule

Rokk: Male/TaruTaru San Rank 10 74 RDM | 19 WHM | 37 BLM | 30 MNK| 25 WAR | 30 RNG | 15 NIN - active

100% Warlock ˆˆ

Comment

Check notification can be turned off. Checking has no effect upon your character whatsoever, it doesn't slow down your movement, disturb you in any way, prevent you from doing anything, etc. Some people want to be asked before they're checked. I do not want to be asked before I'm checked. It annoys me to be asked before I'm checked, it makes me respond to a dumbass question. Clearly I am right, since causing me to respond to dumbass questions requires me to expend effort, and ignoring the checking requires no expenditure of effort!

My analysis of the situation is...until they take out the feature from the game, if I see someone wearing something I consider interesting, and want to know what it is, I'm going to check them. If they don't like it...tough. Haven't had anyone complain to me about it yet, but if I do, I will make certain to inform them about the ability to turn off notification.

To be honest, I don't understand why the check notification is even there. It's there in other games like EverQuest too, and it doesn't make any sense to me. If you don't like being checked...turn off the damn notification! You won't know it's happening. And don't give me any lines about 'wanting to know', because that's utterly ludicrous, and besides, completely illogical. It's of no benefit to you to be informed of this, unless you find being annoyed a benefit.
                    Koyasha, Paladin, Red Mage, White Mage...
                    Future Grandmaster Everything,
                    Twilight Star of Isil`Elenuial

Comment

Originally posted by Rico

I bet you had a problem before ;D.

Nope. Never had a problem. If people want to check me then I think it's okay, i don't bitch about it like some of the people that think it's rude.
                      Rodin - Ragnarok Server (Out of Retirement)
                      90BRD 90SMN 90WHM 75BLM 75RDM 61BST 50RNG 37NIN 37THF

Goal: All jobs max level and capped merits.

Comment

You know, I think my little macro is more annoying than check notice.

/em examines you.
                        /wait 1
                        /em examines you.
                        /wait 1
                        /em examines you again.

Best thing is, its in English, so anyone who can read and understand English gets a laugh out of it.
                        DRK75/WAR75/BLU75/RNG75/NIN72

Comment

/check please!

I don't mind ONE check per person, though I have to wonder about people who check me when I'm anon. Sometimes I'll have a little fun with the person by using /stare at them after they check me. I'm not too bothered by it, but repeated checks are kinda stupid.

I just use /sea <t> when I want to know someone's level. Hard for anyone to get offended by that!

Comment

I don't check people, I also use /sea to find their levels. I take people for who they are, not what they wear. If I see a level 20 drg running around in Kazham without any on-level equips, I'll check them to make sure I'm seeing it correctly and verify that he isn't party material.

When I'm camping Barricader, I don't check the people around me.

Comment

I wasn't even aware checking people WAS an issue in the game. I check people all the time, and people check me all the time. I don't see the big deal. I have checked people 2 or 3 times before to see what equipment they have (Usually higher level players). I don't check them to be rude, I am just curious to what equipment they have because some of the higher level players have really cool looking equipment. I can't even imagine someone actually having a problem with someone checking them. They should actually be flattered that someone would take the time to stop and check them in the first place.

Comment

Working...
                              X