Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone play on Windows Vista?

Hello,
    I has played FFXI on my notebook but now I'm selling it and will buy a DELL (desktop) and it will be Windows Vista: Home Premium pre-installed.

I know FFXI support Vista now but will it lag?

These is the spec my desktop will have:

AMD® Athlon™ 64 X2-cpu with dual core 3600+
    Windows Vistaâ„¢ Home Premium - Swedish
    1 024 MB Dual Channel DDR2 533 MHz [2 x 512] memory
    Dellâ„¢ USB-multimedia keyboard - swedish(QWERTY)
    Dellâ„¢ 17" Value, LCD display (SE177FP) - Europeean
    128 MB ATI® Radeon® X1300 PCI Express
    Harddrive 250 GB (7 200 rpm) seriell ATA-harddrive with 8 MB DataBurstâ„¢-cache
    Dell Optical Scroll Premium-mouse
    16 X DVD +/- RW
    2.0 Channel sound
    Microsoft® Works 8.0 - swedish
    Recover-DVD for Dimension for Vista (drivers)

so I think FFXI would run just fine?
    Character name: Phyrr
    Job: WHM6
    Sub: ---
    Linkshell: ---
    World: Shiva

Re: Anyone play on Windows Vista?

Well anyone?

Comment

will run fine
      -------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Kain (FFIV): I am aware of my actions, but can do nothing about them.

Comment

it runs but if you have a slightly older system, it tends to drag since vista is quite the resource hog.

seeing as your system is pretty new, should be fine.

personally, i really dont like how vista wastes so much memory and cpu time on other crap that doesnt need to be running. that and lots of other things dont run on it. wmv videos embedded in websites dont play properly, some of my older software doesnt run correctly, etc etc.

I'm changing back to XP myself.
        Omni@Remora: NIN75 RNG75 MNK75 COR75 BST64 BRD53
        ♪♫ San d'Oria Complete ♪♫ ZM Complete ♪♫ CoP Complete ♪♫ AM Complete ♪♫

Comment

I would install XP but I wounder if all in the pc would work then

Comment

Originally posted by Xeion View Post
            I would install XP but I wounder if all in the pc would work then
            If you buy the Dell you won't be able to install XP on the system. Reason being is that most manufacturers (I know Dell for a fact) use imaging to install their software. Meaning the drivers for all your hardware (motherboard, video card, sound card, on-board things such as ethernet ports, etc.) are on that disc. And you can't just pick and choose from an image, gotta do all or nothing. It really is a pain, I hate imaging.

I never understood this concept. I payed to have the stuff, why can't I get all the drivers separately. Too much of a darn pain to send me that copy I purchased? Or how about those drivers? I bought the dang motherboard for Christmas sake!

Comment

Exacly what I thought. Well well I will mostly play Final Fantasy XI on it anyway. The main reason for purpose this desktop is Im gonna use it for working

Comment

Vista will make the game run slow and the Graphics to lag.

I have about the same set up you do, and had nothing but problems with Vista.

Truthfully, i have played for over 3yrs and never gliched out of the game.

With Vista, with 1 week, i gliched out 4-5 times. (So i finally said f-it!! and reinstall XP)

Save your self the trouble and Stick with XP until they get the problems with Vista fixed ... or

Buy at least 2gigs in RAM...maybe 4

Comment

Originally posted by Omni View Post
                  personally, i really dont like how vista wastes so much memory and cpu time on other crap that doesnt need to be running. that and lots of other things dont run on it. wmv videos embedded in websites dont play properly, some of my older software doesnt run correctly, etc etc.

I'm changing back to XP myself.
                  Actually, performance-wise it is better to load a lot of information in RAM, which Vista does. In many cases, the bottleneck for performance ends up being the hard drive, as it cannot access information as fast as it can in RAM. One feature in Vista is that it keeps track of the frequency you use program, so it tries to "predict" which software you use the most and already loads them into memory at boot up. This may be why there may be a lot of loading at start-up or when the computer is idle. I have some loading for less than a minute when I start-up, but my usual programs start up even faster than my old XP install.

The CPU used in the background is also used by the indexer, which makes it faster to access and find files and programs with the search functions. You can turn it off if you don't feel the need to index your drive.

I use XP Pro all day at work, and I have Vista Ultimate at home. I really like Vista over XP... But then again I only play a few games on my PC, and I have enough RAM to hold all the info loaded (2 GB)

Comment

Originally posted by HairdewX View Post
                    Actually, performance-wise it is better to load a lot of information in RAM, which Vista does. In many cases, the bottleneck for performance ends up being the hard drive, as it cannot access information as fast as it can in RAM. One feature in Vista is that it keeps track of the frequency you use program, so it tries to "predict" which software you use the most and already loads them into memory at boot up. This may be why there may be a lot of loading at start-up or when the computer is idle. I have some loading for less than a minute when I start-up, but my usual programs start up even faster than my old XP install.
                    The CPU used in the background is also used by the indexer, which makes it faster to access and find files and programs with the search functions. You can turn it off if you don't feel the need to index your drive.
                    I use XP Pro all day at work, and I have Vista Ultimate at home. I really like Vista over XP... But then again I only play a few games on my PC, and I have enough RAM to hold all the info loaded (2 GB)
                    it is better to load stuff in ram but you see, vista has so much unnecessary OTHER stuff running that it takes a hit for systems that are 2 yrs old or older. In terms of gaming, the more ram and cpu time being taken up by other crap other than the guy will affect your game.
                    Omni@Remora: NIN75 RNG75 MNK75 COR75 BST64 BRD53
                    ♪♫ San d'Oria Complete ♪♫ ZM Complete ♪♫ CoP Complete ♪♫ AM Complete ♪♫

Comment

Originally posted by Omni View Post
                      it is better to load stuff in ram but you see, vista has so much unnecessary OTHER stuff running that it takes a hit for systems that are 2 yrs old or older. In terms of gaming, the more ram and cpu time being taken up by other crap other than the guy will affect your game.
                      If anything, I would most suspect either

a) performance being affected by indexing, which can be turned off with a bit of tweaking
                      b) not enough RAM. For Vista I wouldn't recommend anything less than 1 GB. If you don't have enough RAM, the short term fix would be to use a flash drive as extra RAM. You can get noticeable performance increases from that.
                      c) video card drivers not up to par. nVidia drivers kinda suck atm.

Comment

Y'know, all the Vista hating in gaming forums is getting really f***ing old.

Yes, it has some issues. As any new OS would.

It's not gonna totally kill your gaming experience. I recently bought a new Toshiba laptop, and of course it came with Vista.

I play FFXI on it just fine. Hell, I never even bothered to install the POL upgrade to Vista compatibility, and it works. I run FFXI in the 29fps range, no weird graphical glitches, no Vista screaming "OMG FFXI MUST KILL!".

And Dell's offering both XP & Vista now, by popular demand. So crawl back in your hole, Vista-seeking flamebots.

Comment

Originally posted by Tekumel View Post
                          Y'know, all the Vista hating in gaming forums is getting really f***ing old.

Yes, it has some issues. As any new OS would.

It's not gonna totally kill your gaming experience. I recently bought a new Toshiba laptop, and of course it came with Vista.

I play FFXI on it just fine. Hell, I never even bothered to install the POL upgrade to Vista compatibility, and it works. I run FFXI in the 29fps range, no weird graphical glitches, no Vista screaming "OMG FFXI MUST KILL!".

And Dell's offering both XP & Vista now, by popular demand. So crawl back in your hole, Vista-seeking flamebots.
                          Well, I'm allowed to not like Vista for a good reason, it's not 100% working. Come service pack 1 I'll probably pick it up but I'm not paying a good $100 for a broken product.

And to be honest, it breaks many of the games that I play. S.T.A.L.K.E.R. and Oblivion being two that I like playing and Vista has problems with.

Comment

All my friends' experiences have been the same: driver support for Vista is bad right now. XP is the better platform it seems until manufacturers get Vista drivers up to snuff (probably 6-12 months).

In theory there are some niceties of DX10 with Vista.. but unless a game is designed on DX10 you are just running the same underlying engine on Vista as you would be on XP, albeit with less proven drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by soneill1986 View Post
                              If you buy the Dell you won't be able to install XP on the system. Reason being is that most manufacturers (I know Dell for a fact) use imaging to install their software. Meaning the drivers for all your hardware (motherboard, video card, sound card, on-board things such as ethernet ports, etc.) are on that disc. And you can't just pick and choose from an image, gotta do all or nothing. It really is a pain, I hate imaging.
                              I never understood this concept. I payed to have the stuff, why can't I get all the drivers separately. Too much of a darn pain to send me that copy I purchased? Or how about those drivers? I bought the dang motherboard for Christmas sake!
                              You know there hasn't be a single driver that I couldn't just find online if I needed it separate. All you need to know is the motherboards chipsets for any on-board video, sound, nic, and such.

Then if you can't find and still determined there is always the registry to trace back on to find the drivers and just copy them and the registry entry.

Cheezy Test Result (I am nerdier than 96% of all people. Are you nerdier? Click here to find out!)

Comment

Working...
                              X