Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help I am Gin from PS2 To PC! What do I need to know?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help I am Gin from PS2 To PC! What do I need to know?

Hi everyone I am going from PS2 to PC What do I need to know?
    My Computer Intel Pentium 4 with HT
    I have a PCI- E ATI Radeon X300 SE Graphics Card. And 512MB SDRAM and 200GB Harddrive. Will this work with FFXI and how does it change from ps2 Ver like I have to sign on to my Local ISP then AOL how do I connect to POL? I just wan to know what will be differnt and and Will my Char be able to be trasferd to PC from PS2?
    Or will I have to Remake a char? thanks! ^^

Re: Help I am Gin from PS2 To PC! What do I need to know?

PlayOnline's webpage used to have a benchmark app linked on the home page. So you could just try this out, and it would tell you if your machine could run the game. From what I can see from your hardware, I've heard of much less running the game so I think you'll be able to pull it off.

You can take your PS2 Content ID with you anywhere as long as you have the information required. Once you log into PlayOnline View, you'll just need your ID and passwd that's saved in your PS2. You will have to recreate your macros, but everything else will be there.

If your PS2 can connect through AOL then your PC will. I've never used AOL, so I don't know all particulars of connecting using AOL, but last I knew you could connect via AOL and play the game. Just check the manual, I'm sure it will give you the information you need.
    Odude
    PS2 Beta tester - Cactaur - Rank 4
    RDM32 - BLM17 - DRK11 - RNG11 - BRD9 - BST7 - WAR6 - MNK4

Lakshmi: Windurst Rank 10 - Zilart, CoP, ToAU COMPLETE - WotG
    SAM90 - DRK90 - MNK90 - WAR90 - RNG90 - BST90 - RDM83 - NIN50 - THF46 - DRG42 - BLM40 - PUP23 - WHM20 - PLD13 - BRD13 - BLU10 - SCH10 - DNC7 - COR5 - SMN1

Comment

so U think my ATI Radeon X300 SE Graphics Card will be ok? Or do i have to download something?

Comment

You may have some problems with both your video card (ATI Radeon X300 PCIe 128MB) and your system memory (512MB).

Unless you plan to run FFXI on low detail settings, I suspect you're going to see significant lag running FFXI on your current setup. The ATI Radeon X300 series of cards ends up "borrowing" memory from your main system board when running newer games, and that could seriously hurt performance.

In addition, FFXI doesn't really like being run on 512MB of RAM. It doesn't have a huge memory footprint, but when coupled with the above, you might end up with the very unfortunate worst case scenario of having to use a lot of pagefile space (from your hard drive) to make up for too much pressure on your system memory, which will bring your system to its knees...

I would recommend running the Vana'diel Benchmark utility available from PlayOnline to get a feel for how well (or not) your computer will handle it.

Icemage

Comment

WHere do I goto I cant find the website to see if it is able to handle it? can u post a link plz

Comment

Originally posted by Animeangel77
            so U think my ATI Radeon X300 SE Graphics Card will be ok? Or do i have to download something?
            I'd say it's "ok," or at least works w/ ffxi, but probably not anything beyond your expectations. Try running the benchmark in the "high" mode, and you'll see what the game will look like on your PC, including how laggy it will be.

http://www.playonline.com/ff11us/dow...l?pageID=media
            (or FFXI website->Download->Multimedia->Benchmark Program)

If you're expecting great graphics, possibly a reason for you to switch from PS2 to PC, you'll need to upgrade the video card. X300 SE is the low-end product, and consequently offers the limited graphic quality. It's really a question of what you want out of PC version of the game.

As for other hardware specs, they will run ffxi fine, w/ the execption being the RAM; you might need 1GB instead of 512MB, assuming that you use Windoes XP on it.

EDIT: nvm, Icemage pretty much said the same. Is it he typing so fast, or me typing so slow? Probably the latter, oh well

And, in addition to the macro tdh mentioned above, you'll also lose map markers, screenshots, and any saved messages/e-mails, as they are also saved on the hard drives, not the server. For screenshots and e-mails, just e-mail/forward them all to yourself, and after you setup the POL on your PC, receive them back. As tdh said, everything else will be there as they are saved on the server. Just use your current ID/Pass to login, while you'll need to go through the update process anyways.

As for the connection, just log onto your ISP/AOL as you'd normally do when browsing the internet, and launch POL. POL simply uses the internet connection, so no need to setup any special connection to POL directly. Note that you might need to configure the firewall/router if you use one, but since you seem to be using the normal Windows-based dial-up/PPPoE connection, all you need to be worried about will be Windows' firewall; the first time you run POL, Windows firewall pops up and asks whether you wanna block the access, but just choose to allow access and you're set.

Comment

Are you guys serious? isn't the X-series of graphics cards above the 9800 series?

If that's the case, it should run just dandy. Keep in mind, this game is about 4-5 years old o_O . You don't need a supercomputer to run this thing.

I run a 9800 Pro, 512 MB Ram, 2.6 Ghz Pentium 4 (The computer's about 3-4 years old). About the only thing that gives me lag is if I have have everyone have 'detailed' shadows (If I'm the only detailed shadow, it's fine). About the only spots it should lag at are at Al Zahbi's Auction House, and high-number group events like Dynamis.

I'm not sure about the other parts of your question, but your computer should run it just fine.

If you want to make sure, go to

http://www.playonline.com/ff11us/dow...l?pageID=media

and download Vanadiel bench 3. Run the Benchmark once on Low Res mode, and once on Hi-res mode, and you can compare them to the numbers on the chart. I don't think you're ever going to see that many people emoting at the same time, so take that result with a grain of salt ^^
              Last edited by PTT; 08-16-2006, 08:57 PM.
              Wevrain - Shiva

Comment

Originally posted by PTT
                Are you guys serious? isn't the X-series of graphics cards above the 9800 series?
                Those GPU number prefixes only indicate generations (not the technical generations; only the product-line wise. i.e. X300 uses RV370 GPU core which is technically considered the same generation as 9500-9800 line of video cards), not the actual performance. Of course, it's generally the case that the newer the generation, the better the performance in the same targeted performance range (i.e. X1300 outperforms X300, though both are for the low-end market).

Nevertheless, X300 SE is targeted for the low-end market, and it's even slower than X300. When used for ffxi, it's easily outperformed by 9800 Pro.

When you look at 1988 Ferrari F40 and 2006 Honda Civic, which one do you think runs faster on a highway?
                The answer should be obvious.

Comment

Originally posted by Animeangel77
                  Hi everyone I am going from PS2 to PC What do I need to know?
                  I just wan to know what will be differnt...
                  Hmm, with sufficient CPU, RAM, and GPU, you will notice much nicer graphics and the convenience of having a keyboard (if you didn't have one before). Make sure you check out this post on how to make the game look better with higher background resolution.

Enjoy!
                  Character: Bricklayer
                  Server: Ramuh
                  31 RDM/ 23 BLM/ 20 WHM

Comment

Hmm, with sufficient CPU, RAM, and GPU, you will notice much nicer graphics and the convenience of having a keyboard (if you didn't have one before). Make sure you check out this post on how to make the game look better with higher background resolution.
                    Sorry to point this out but with that GFX card only has 32 mb of on board memory and a slow gpu It should play ffxi at a acceptable level but its far to weak for that mod......

*edit Ok ill take back the 32 mb of memory part that was the old version but it is still far to weak for that mod
                    BUT there is still a use for that mod they can make the texture resolution the same as there screen resolution for an improvement in looks w/o the penalty of using the 1024x1024 textures. (this mostly applies to if you run the game in 800x600)
                    Last edited by Thrasher; 08-16-2006, 10:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Thrasher
                      Sorry to point this out but with that GFX card only has 32 mb of on board memory and a slow gpu It should play ffxi at a acceptable level but its far to weak for that mod......
                      Please note that I made a general, conditional statement.

Who knows, OP may decide on a GPU upgrade after a couple of days and seeing the high-res screenshots... but yes, I agree that an older GPU will preclude you from the benefits I mentioned in my original post.
                      Character: Bricklayer
                      Server: Ramuh
                      31 RDM/ 23 BLM/ 20 WHM

Comment

Originally posted by bside
                        Those GPU number prefixes only indicate generations (not the technical generations; only the product-line wise. i.e. X300 uses RV370 GPU core which is technically considered the same generation as 9500-9800 line of video cards), not the actual performance. Of course, it's generally the case that the newer the generation, the better the performance in the same targeted performance range (i.e. X1300 outperforms X300, though both are for the low-end market).

Nevertheless, X300 SE is targeted for the low-end market, and it's even slower than X300. When used for ffxi, it's easily outperformed by 9800 Pro.

When you look at 1988 Ferrari F40 and 2006 Honda Civic, which one do you think runs faster on a highway?
                        The answer should be obvious.
                        Ah, I see now. Thanks for setting me straight. I didn't know.

I think I've been corroded by RPG logic. Newer? More Expensive? It has to be better! Seeya Excalibur, it's Ultima Weapon for me!
                        Last edited by PTT; 08-17-2006, 11:19 AM.
                        Wevrain - Shiva

Comment

Working...
                        X