FFXI...computer + xbox 360?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FFXI...computer + xbox 360?

Howdy guys. After seeing me play my brother wants to get into FFXI too. I was wondering how that works with xbox 360. Is there a USB cord in the actuall system? We have a modem (for computer) and wireless router (for xbox live). Can that work with FFXI? Where does the usb keyboard go? Can you play xbox 360 with a mouse? How do you play with a mouse (controller)?

Lot of questions i know, but thanks for any help. Kinda need asap because my brothers birthday is in 5 days >.<. If this can work i need to buy the game for his birthday

Thanks

-Mel.

Re: FFXI...computer + xbox 360?

=\...

Comment

TheGrandMom could probably answer those questions very easily for you. But I'll give it a shot.

The XBox 360 is suppose to have 3 USB ports (ver 2.0) it should support any USB Keyboard. You install the game to the XBox 360 HDD with the XBox 360 version of the game.

Follow the step most of it should be the same as the PC except for a couple extra steps were you have to bind the account to a XBox 360 account. That about the only extra to it.

As far as both playing it to do it simultaneously then he'd need his own POL account and will be charged a separate $12.75 (plus $1.00 for extra char.) . You'll both be able to play at the same time. If you know how I would suggest setting up the port forwarding and port triggers for the XBox 360 to take advantage of and also make sure your PC has the port forwarding done also or if the router is able have UPnP enabled.

You'll need that for better performance with two systems going through the same connection. Otherwise expect a higher chance of disconnects, if you don't get any now you might get some after it's kind of a gamble.

Other then that it's much the same as the PC version.

The system should support a USB Mouse, controls between Mouse, Controler, Keyboard are much the same as what you get with PS2 or PC setup.

Also on Forums have to allow more time then 1 hr for a responce. Some posts don't get a responce till like a week has past, at the least allow 1 or 2 days.
      Last edited by Macht; 07-12-2006, 11:47 AM.

Cheezy Test Result (I am nerdier than 96% of all people. Are you nerdier? Click here to find out!)

Comment

Two issues:

(1) As far as I am aware, you need a broadband connection to access XBox Live's online service, so if you're using dialup, you won't be able to connect to FFXI via your XBox 360.

(2) If you do have a broadband connection, you'll need a network router or similar device to share your Internet connection between your PC and your XBox360. Otherwise only one of the two devices can be online at a time. If you don't have a router, it will probably cost you anywhere from $40 to $100 depending on the features you require.

Icemage

Comment

Originally posted by Icemage
          Two issues:

(1) As far as I am aware, you need a broadband connection to access XBox Live's online service, so if you're using dialup, you won't be able to connect to FFXI via your XBox 360.

(2) If you do have a broadband connection, you'll need a network router or similar device to share your Internet connection between your PC and your XBox360. Otherwise only one of the two devices can be online at a time. If you don't have a router, it will probably cost you anywhere from $40 to $100 depending on the features you require.

Icemage
          Think that's why he mentioned the WiFi router. If he's using a WiFi router which I'm guessing they have used before if they already have the XBox 360 means those 2 issues shouldn't be a problem.

Little tricky to guess their network since someone in their infinite wisdom decided to call a broadband media a Modem as well. So you don't know if it a dial-up Modem or a cable Modem.

Cheezy Test Result (I am nerdier than 96% of all people. Are you nerdier? Click here to find out!)

Comment

Originally posted by Melita
            Is there a USB cord in the actuall system?
            Yes
            We have a modem (for computer) and wireless router (for xbox live). Can that work with FFXI?
            If you can connect to Live you can connect to POL.
            Where does the usb keyboard go?
            In a USB slot.
            Can you play xbox 360 with a mouse? How do you play with a mouse (controller)?
            Probably, but you wouldn't want to. Use the XBox controller, how will be in the manual.
            I use a Mac because I'm just better than you are.

HTTP Error 418 - I'm A Teapot - The resulting entity body MAY be short and stout.

loose

Comment

Thanks guys, ya i have a router and a broadband connection. He plays online games and i use the internet and the only reason we disconect is because of storms . He plays MMO's so thats one less thing i have to explain about gameplay lol. I guess he'll just buy a keyboard and use the controller as a mouse.

One other thing i was wondering is, you have to pay xbox live fee's and FFXI, right? Ya i think i remember that. Well itll be fun to play a MMO right beside each other...Thanks again guys!
              (Just a standard xbox controller right?) Any other tips about purchasing keyboard, controller, ect. will be helpfull thnx.

Comment

No, only need silver membership to play ffxi on xbox which is free.

Comment

I'm having an issue with trying to use xbox 360 and pc for me and my girlfriend to play together. I didn't want to make another thread, so I hope it's okay that I'm posting in this one.

We have one broadband connection.
                  Cable Modem.
                  Comcast Cable Internet.
                  Linksys WRT54G Broadband Router.
                  Xbox 360, separate FFXI account.
                  PC, separate FFXI account.

The problem we're seeing currently, is that only one of the two systems can be connected to POL and playing, the other frequently Times-Out.

I'm not sure what's causing the connection to faulter, but I'm hoping someone who has gone through this same thing, might be able to provide some input.

Sincerely,
                  Clueless in California

Comment

are u using static IP's if so make sure ur not trying to log in with the same IP

Comment

Yup, both are using the same IP address. Le sigh. Now to go fix that.

Thanks.

Comment

I have FFXI for the xbox360. It is nice. We play on same servers as you guys, and the other day, I bought a usb keyboard. the controller setup works (though it takes getting used to). But I do love playing on the comfort of my couch on a big TV.....(not to say you cant do that with PC, but you cant do that for that price $399+$49)...and the monthly price is slashed in half to accomodate for the xbox live fee.....

Which FF Character Are You?

Comment

Working...
                        X