Announcement

Collapse

READ THIS BEFORE POSTING IN THIS FORUM!

In order to properly organize all the questions in to an appropriate list for the administration team to compile in to a list to be submitted to Square Enix, please post ONE QUESTION PER THREAD ONLY!

If you are not asking a question, do NOT post a thread, please take your discussions elsewhere. If you wish to comment on a question, or provide an answer to a question, please post a reply, but any questions inside a thread that is not the first post of the thread will be ignored.

For the subject line, please put one of the things:
A.) Put the question in the subject line and the message.
OR
B.) If the question is too long, put part of the question and then repeat the entire question in the post.

Please make sure a thread with the same question does not already exists, or your thread may be merged or deleted.

Threads that do not conform to these rules may be overlooked and not added to the list to be submitted to SquareEnix.

Disclaimer: Things subject to change without notice, especially if SquareEnix decides to change it on us.

Thank you,
AKosygin
FFXIOnline.com Moderation and Administration Team
See more
See less

Any FFXI related product coming to the PSP?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any FFXI related product coming to the PSP?

Has any thought been given to leveraging the PS2 code to create a FFXI title for the PSP?

Could the PS2 code be used to create a PSP title that would sink to your POL account and get updated info on your characters? It could much like a model viewer and stat calculator. A player could try various gear and see the stats, even save gear configurations and compare the stats to other configurations. Even an animated skill chain calculator.
    Sergeant Major
    75PLD | 75NIN | 50RNG | 40BST | 37WAR | 37RDM | 35THF | 26SAM | 22MNK |
    22DRG | 22DRK | 22WHM | 20BLM | 11COR | 13BRD | 10BLU | 08PUP | 01SMN |
    Carbuncle | Diabolos | Fenrir | Garuda | Ifrit | Leviathan | Ramuh | Shiva | Titan

Re: Any FFXI related product coming to the PSP?

Ya I wouldn't count on it. The PS2 is taxed enough to keep up with PC/360 users. Downgrading it to an even weaker engine would produce nothing but issues.

PLD75 DRK60 lots of other levels.
    ------
    Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
    When ignorance reigns, life is lost

Comment

Originally posted by Ameroth View Post
      Ya I wouldn't count on it. The PS2 is taxed enough to keep up with PC/360 users. Downgrading it to an even weaker engine would produce nothing but issues.
      He isn't talking about making a PSP version of FFXI, he is talking about an online service that would let you check you character's information and other things. That service would be kinda in the same category as Friendlist Plus and the new Linkshell thing.

Rai I think it's possible to make but I wonder if they ever will, things like checking the AH on the go or being able to take care of Gardening or even Chocobo raising (and racing) from a PSP would be great, and many people have asked about this.

But as of today there's no indication whatsoever that SE is even considering on adding such services, but I really hope they do if not for XI maybe for their next MMOG.

Edit > So yep it would be nice if someone from SE could comment about this ^^
      sigpic
      "In this world, the one who has the most fun is the winner!" C.B.
      Prishe's Knight 2004-Forever.

その目だれの目。

Comment

It could be pretty much a model viewer stat calculator. It could basically link to your POL id to get your characters', Names, races, sizes, faces, job levels. So you could pretty much play "dress-up" with your character and view their stats in various gear configurations and save the configurations for comparison.

Bacically it would only be rendering one zone your mog-house. It would be a port of the FFXI engine to the PSP not to play FFXI but to be an kind of FFXI-tactics type thing, not a game a reference for enthusiasts.
        Sergeant Major
        Carbuncle | Diabolos | Fenrir | Garuda | Ifrit | Leviathan | Ramuh | Shiva | Titan

Comment

Originally posted by Rai View Post
          It could be pretty much a model viewer stat calculator. It could basically link to your POL id to get your characters', Names, races, sizes, faces, job levels. So you could pretty much play "dress-up" with your character and view their stats in various gear configurations and save the configurations for comparison.
          Bacically it would only be rendering one zone your mog-house. It would be a port of the FFXI engine to the PSP not to play FFXI but to be an kind of FFXI-tactics type thing, not a game a reference for enthusiasts.
          I don't think there would be a market for a thing like that. Seems like just a gimmick to me. Perhaps something someone would want on his/her cellphone, but on a PSP? No chance.

Comment

Theres one for the Nintendo DS though. A chocobo rpg game.

Comment

I dunno, a portable skillchain calculator app that I could run on a PSP or DS while playing FFXI on my PC would be interesting. Not sure I'd actually pay money to have that convenience, however, and there's the issue of how it would be maintained.

Icemage

Comment

I'll be happy if it was just a chat box. Kinda nutty to type on a PSP though.

Comment

Originally posted by Icemage View Post
                  I dunno, a portable skillchain calculator app that I could run on a PSP or DS while playing FFXI on my PC would be interesting. Not sure I'd actually pay money to have that convenience, however, and there's the issue of how it would be maintained.
                  Icemage

If it also had every piece of gear in-game and you could equip a character and see the stats I would buy that in a heartbeat.

A Skill Chain Calculator where you choose up to 4 players, lvl, each weapon, each WS, then it tells you the result, and gives the option to play a little animation where it shows little characters doing the SC, that would be awesome. Like any other software you'd be able to create configurations of gear and save them out so you could use those configurations to set up your preferences in the SC calculator so the little characters demoing SCs would look however you wanted them to look, and you'd be able to set what the standard prey looks like or just set it to random.

PSP has 802.11 also usb so SE could update it and save updates to the memory stick when new gear is added to game.
                  Sergeant Major

Comment

There's been a homebrew FFXI Encyclopedia in the works by some Allakhazamers for some time, although I don't know the progress of it at this time.

Officially, the devteam has denied any possibility of the full game ever appearing on the PSP. When asked about other applications, they've said that it'd be interesting to have a sort of auction-house and communication program for PSP, although they've said that they're too busy with the game to branch out and learn how to make something like that for PSP.
                    PSN ID - PaiPai Gamertag - PaiPaiMaster Steam ID: Pai Pai Master
                    Rockman - Fairy

WAR75/SMN75/PLD68/NIN37/THF37/SAM37/WHM41
                    WIN8-1/ZM (Clear)/PM (Clear)/AM (Clear)/WotG3/ACP1
                    Currently Playing:
                    FINAL FANTASY XIII, Starcraft 2 Beta

Comment

Originally posted by raidenn View Post
                      I'll be happy if it was just a chat box. Kinda nutty to type on a PSP though.
                      They're actually looking to possibly expand the linkshell community thing to include this. If you take the survey about it, you can see that one of the options you can check for "stuff you'd like to see" is the ability to chat in your linkshell. This would be killer I feel.

Personally, I'd like to see a PSP Auction House / Gardening / Chocobo Raising / Crafting program made. The only problem I see is where you logged out last. If you logged out in Jeuno, you could hit up the AH, do Gardening, and some crafting, but you wouldn't be able to check on your chocobo because you are not in a starting city.

Something that may work would be the ability to travel around in city and airships with a "ghost" of yourself. You would be able to buy things from NPCs, hit up the AH, travel on an airship to starting cities, and craft. All moghouse functions, too. Chatting in any channel other than Linkshell and Tell is disabled, and so is joining any parties.

No venturing outside of cities, apart from airships. This would mean that the battle system can be excluded. No missions/quests can be started/ended. They can even make it special "ghost only" zones. These zones can only be accessed if you are a "ghost" they are mostly duplicates of the regular zones, with only merchant NPCs available. Making it a separate zone would reduce the need to load as much on the PSP. PCs can be excluded, as quest/mission NPCs.

I forsee a "ghost Lower Jeuno" exactly the same as the current Lower Jeuno, you get to hit the AH, go to Waag-Deeg's, The Merry Minstrel, and Muckvix's. That's it. No visting Dietmund to unlock Beastmaster, no doing the lamp lighting quest, nothing like that.

I thought about allowing the ability to shop bazaars, but you would then have to load PCs, which would be a pain.

This is what I'd like to see, but I don't imagine that it will happen. A guy can dream, can't he?
                      Haggai

i Am ThE bLaCk MaGe.
                      I cAsTs ThE sPeLlS tHaT mAkEs ThE pEoPlEs FaLl DoWn.

Comment

I'd just as soon see an app that could just pop you into a room with all four auction houses plus some /linkshell and other chat functionality. Don't really need to be in the actual game.

Icemage

Comment

I think applications tied in to FFXI would be much more practical on the DS than the PSP due to the touchscreen and the fact its a bit easier to get online with. I'd be happy just to have a 2D interface that let me move my mules around the major cities and craft while I'm out in a Wifi hotspot.

Even just being able to use POL would be nice.

Comment

I agree on the ds idea for a few reason one is my brother shattered my psp screen another is that typeing on the ds would be alot faster and easyer but problem is square enix would have problems putting all that on a ds cartridge bc they i think are only like 1 or 2 gigs but now adays techno stuff ive seen like 4 gigs memory cards looking the same as a 256 mb card so they can probly make a 6 gig one maybe a bit bigger sticking outta the top of the ds where you can fit alot of the stuff in there like the idea about the whole cities on there but haveing like guild wars like haveing your own area but still can talk and stuff the same as in city yaa if it was on the psp they coulda have a bit better graphics but it would murder the batterypack and also could have the same effect like oblivion does on a xbox 360 and burn it out alot quicker from useing so much video and processing power just have a simple design like 2d like kitten said that would work but it would be near impossible linking all the AH and all that to xbox/ps2/pc severs to that psp/ds sever would cause alot of problems and time to program cross sever stuff and they would basicly remake the game.....
                            i still get on here....even though it might not happen often i do!

Comment

Well, it wouldn't be technically easy, but it wouldn't be impossible to convert all city activity into 2D content in another online interface. When you think about it - looking at the FFXI world from the top-down - all building and NPC placement is rather linear. Just about everything is parallel with or adjecent to something else. That's no different than the 2D games.

And I'm never one to underestimate the limitations of memory. Data gets compress further each day and those little SD Cards start to gain more storage, too. DQIX is going to DS and I expect that world to be just as big as DQVIII's.

Comment

Working...
                              X