Game Balance and User Frustration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Game Balance and User Frustration

Ive just started playing FFXI for about a week now, and i gotta tell you, its the biggest piece of garbage ive ever played, World of Warcraft wasnt this bad, i mean, im fine with it being "realistic" but really, i hardly see anyone able to put up with running from one side of the map to another for an hour straight, you could spend the gil to take a chocobo, but that reduces it to what, a 30min run? or you could save gil and get your own chocobo, after you've spent 4 months raising it, and thats not in-game time, i have to pay 15$ a month for 4 months just get a chocobo. Mob checks as Easy prey? you die anyway, mobs are unbalanced it takes a group of 3 or more just to kill 1 mob, i mean really, how hard is it to chop off the head of a worm. I think Square just decided to get the most money out of this game by lengthing the time it takes to do anything, i mean, why make it easy for you and get max level in 3months, when they can lengthen that out and make it take 6 or more months? its so they can plunder the money from your wallet, i refuse to continue playing this garbage and hope anyone else out there looking to try this game to run and dont look back

Re: Game Balance and User Frustration

Thank you for sharing your thoughts, I'm sorry the game wasn't for you. Researching the game before playing may have helped you, as you seemed to have jumped into the game expecting something completely different.

Comment

Moved to FFXI discussion since the topic of the post is FF11, not FF14.

As for the complaints, it doesn't really take 4 months to get a chocobo license, especially not nowadays. And chocobos are one of the weakest of the fast travel options in the game.

I can understand the frustration of wanting everything NOW, but if you had everything handed to you the moment you logged in, what would be the point of playing?

Icemage

Comment

What's funny is that I genuinely thought that he was talking about FFXIV at first.

It really made more sense that way.
        Last edited by Yellow Mage; 06-26-2011, 08:34 PM. Reason: Except for the part about paying money.
        Originally posted by Armando
        No one at Square Enix has heard of Occam's Razor.
        Originally posted by Armando
        Nintendo always seems to have a legion of haters at the wings ready to jump in and prop up straw men about hardware and gimmicks and casuals.
        Originally posted by Taskmage
        GOD IS MIFFED AT AMERICA

REPENT SINNERS OR AT LEAST GIVE A NONCOMMITTAL SHRUG

GOD IS AMBIVALENT ABOUT FURRIES

THE END IS COMING ONE OF THESE DAYS WHEN GOD GETS AROUND TO IT
        Originally posted by Taskmage
        However much I am actually smart, I got that way by confronting how stupid I am.
        Matthew 16:15

Comment

Originally posted by Icemage View Post
          Moved to FFXI discussion since the topic of the post is FF11, not FF14.

As for the complaints, it doesn't really take 4 months to get a chocobo license, especially not nowadays. And chocobos are one of the weakest of the fast travel options in the game.

I can understand the frustration of wanting everything NOW, but if you had everything handed to you the moment you logged in, what would be the point of playing?

Icemage
          I dont expect everything to be handed to me the moment i logged in, but if you want a chocobo license its easy, its the run around for getting your own chocobo egg, I.E Jeuno, la theine, jeuno, home city, jeuno. you could always get teleported to an outpost nearby if your lucky enough to have it. then after you get the egg and after you wait the 4 days for it to hatch (irl time) you gotta spend another 4months (irl time) to raise it. as for the Air Ship pass, you gotta do even more running around to get keys that have a low chance of dropping, or the mobs that drop them are very limited and usually farmed. i dont have an issue with the actual combat, its the fact that if you want to get anywhere, unless you have the outpost or the Air Ship pass, your screwed out of 30min of your time just running, and if you have a quest that makes you go back and forth from your nation to that zone? be prepared for a headache and 2+ hours of your time wasted

Comment

Originally posted by Azusentai View Post
            Ive just started playing FFXI for about a week now, and i gotta tell you, its the biggest piece of garbage ive ever played, World of Warcraft wasnt this bad, i mean, im fine with it being "realistic" but really, i hardly see anyone able to put up with running from one side of the map to another for an hour straight, you could spend the gil to take a chocobo, but that reduces it to what, a 30min run? or you could save gil and get your own chocobo, after you've spent 4 months raising it, and thats not in-game time, i have to pay 15$ a month for 4 months just get a chocobo. Mob checks as Easy prey? you die anyway, mobs are unbalanced it takes a group of 3 or more just to kill 1 mob, i mean really, how hard is it to chop off the head of a worm. I think Square just decided to get the most money out of this game by lengthing the time it takes to do anything, i mean, why make it easy for you and get max level in 3months, when they can lengthen that out and make it take 6 or more months? its so they can plunder the money from your wallet, i refuse to continue playing this garbage and hope anyone else out there looking to try this game to run and dont look back
            I think you were playing some other game. Or playing it in like, the past. Travel is ridiculously fast these days, as there are so many ways to warp around, and gaining the ability to rent a chocobo takes all of 4 real life hours. Also, you can reach 90 in a week if you push, a bit more if you take it slow, but I have yet to see someone return to this game and not reach 90 in a month or less.

Sounds like FFXI and MMOs in general, aren't FOR you.

---------- Post added at 12:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:47 AM ----------

Originally posted by Azusentai View Post
            I dont expect everything to be handed to me the moment i logged in, but if you want a chocobo license its easy, its the run around for getting your own chocobo egg, I.E Jeuno, la theine, jeuno, home city, jeuno. you could always get teleported to an outpost nearby if your lucky enough to have it. then after you get the egg and after you wait the 4 days for it to hatch (irl time) you gotta spend another 4months (irl time) to raise it. as for the Air Ship pass, you gotta do even more running around to get keys that have a low chance of dropping, or the mobs that drop them are very limited and usually farmed. i dont have an issue with the actual combat, its the fact that if you want to get anywhere, unless you have the outpost or the Air Ship pass, your screwed out of 30min of your time just running, and if you have a quest that makes you go back and forth from your nation to that zone? be prepared for a headache and 2+ hours of your time wasted
            You don't have to raise a chocobo. It's not required. I've never raised one, and I get around just fine. Did you have an LS? Did they offer suggestions or advice? Did you read about the game at all in order to discover how to get around the problems you were facing?

Surprise, MMOs are designed to be time sinks so that you continue to play longer than the initial free month. That's the business model. Don't like it? Don't play.

Comment

Originally posted by Murphie View Post
              You don't have to raise a chocobo. It's not required. I've never raised one, and I get around just fine. Did you have an LS? Did they offer suggestions or advice? Did you read about the game at all in order to discover how to get around the problems you were facing?

Surprise, MMOs are designed to be time sinks so that you continue to play longer than the initial free month. That's the business model. Don't like it? Don't play.
              I had a LS, but I ended up going RDM/BLM, i ran into 2 mobs that checked to me as Easy Prey, should be no issue to kill right? im lvl 33, i got Cure III, EnFire rolling on my weapon, no, i got killed in very few hits. You cant group all the time, you should be able to solo when you need to without too much of an issue. If you ready the beginning of my first post you would've seen that i was playing World of Warcraft before this, but i quit that because of all the drama from other players, i got into FFXI with some friends of mine, its not a bad business model to make people want to play longer than the free first month, but they really dont need to make you spend more than 75% of your time running everywhere, oh, and btw. If you want gear, you either have to look it up because they dont care how easy it is for you to get gear, or spend 3,000Gil+ on it from the AH when the average mob drops 9-30gil, try farming for just a pair of pants

Comment

I'm not denying that this was obviously a frustrating situation but it seems to be as though you were expecting something other than what the game is. FFXI has never been a super solo friendly game. Hell once upon a time it wasn't solo friendly AT ALL. These days people have it so easy it is ridiculous.

I'm level 90 and I die to EP all the time. Doesn't mean that I blame the game. I look at what I did wrong and change my strategy up.

Comment

Someone please stop me. I'm about to explode.

If the game is hard for you, then you are SERIOUSLY doing it wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowIX View Post
                    Someone please stop me. I'm about to explode.

If the game is hard for you, then you are SERIOUSLY doing it wrong.
                    Lol....wait, who said the game was hard?

---------- Post added at 10:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:06 PM ----------

I'm not denying that this was obviously a frustrating situation but it seems to be as though you were expecting something other than what the game is. FFXI has never been a super solo friendly game. Hell once upon a time it wasn't solo friendly AT ALL. These days people have it so easy it is ridiculous.

I'm level 90 and I die to EP all the time. Doesn't mean that I blame the game. I look at what I did wrong and change my strategy up.
                    Well, there honestly shouldnt be any need for strategy, if the mob is EP, you should have no problem killing it in the first place, you should be strong enough, if you die to EP its because you were either AFK, not paying attention, or that mob wasnt actually EP

Comment

Difficulty level is based on the level of the mob, not your actual ability to kill it.

Comment

Travel improvements are earned in FFXI through progressing your character, bringing supplies to conquest outposts, mission progress, raising chocobos, getting airship access, and knowing the right NPCs to talk to (which also requires some progress in a quest usually). Thats not couting learned abilities, spells, songs, rolls and equipment that enhance moving speed.

I dunno, maybe the OP wants the illusion of a vast open world as opposed to the reality of one. I dunno about you guys but I would have never had that sad-yet-proud moment of getting on the Mhaura ferry to Selbina and seeing the Great Star Tree of my homeland off in the distance as I traveled across the ocean.

It was an incredibly touching moment, I felt that Foobar was stepping into a bigger, larger world.

That is, until The Kraken spawned behind him murdered him. And then his triumphant return to his native coastline was preceded by a pirate raid that killed him again.

Anyway, my advice is start with supply quests to outposts. You can get these quests from the fellows that grant you signet at city gates. That's your first step toward ease of travel in FFXI. Beyond that, you need to pay a visit to the three main crags - Holla, Dem and Mea as obtaining a crystal from those telepoints will allow the white magic related to those areas to teleport you there in the future. After that, there's the chocobo rentals you have to earn in Jeuno, but there's also the ever-famous Warp Cudgel available in the Auction House and Warp Scrolls available from the Signet guards in exchange for conquest points.

I'd strongly advice leveling White Mage and Black Mage for access to the teleport spells, I'd advise you to level THF for Flee as its helpful for getting around land areas quickly, though if you have a BRD or COR buddy along they can give you a movement speed buff as well.

There's also the matter of missions. Consider working through your rank Missions and defeating the Shadow Lord at least as early as 40 so you can get access to using Airships between the three nations, though do be sure to tag that Vahzel Telepoint along the way to SL in Xarcabard. There's also farming keys to fly to Kazham via airship and that's also requisite for access to the Yhoat Telepoint.

Then there's all the Campaign warps, which you can really only begin to work on after 30. All that's really required is having stepped into the zone there, but enjoy that first trip back to whatever nation you choose to visit in the past. Make note of Cavernous Maws as they let you move to the present and past versions of zones.

There's a whole lot more where that came from, so yeah, go to FFXIclopedia and read up more on travel and transportation.

Comment

Difficulty level is based on the level of the mob, not your actual ability to kill it.
                          Well since you say that, i guess its ok for example, for a level 30mob to kill a level 90 character, i mean, that must be one tough Onyx Quadav...

Comment

Since it would be a "too weak" mob, it's sort of irrelevant.

Comment

Since it would be a "too weak" mob, it's sort of irrelevant.
                              Dont start being a Hypocrit now

Comment

Working...
                              X