BG is infected

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BG is infected

Just a heads up to any of you who frequent Blue Gartr. Apparently, it's infected with an old frame. Make sure to update your flash player if you haven't already. Also, make sure to check for smart.dll if you haven't updated your flashplayer, or do it anyways.

Seriously, when is this going to stop...
    ~~~BLM SAM RNG NIN PLD~~~

Re: BG is infected

Originally posted by Mog View Post
    Seriously, when is this going to stop...
    When it stops being effective.
    Ellipses on Fenrir
    There is no rush. If you're not willing to take your time, don't be surprised when no one wants to give you much of theirs.
    . . .

Comment

Originally posted by Mog View Post
      when is this going to stop...
      When people take personal responsibility and RMT find it nearly impossible to steal any accounts.

Or, in other words, never, so just cover your own ass.

Comment

When people stops being stupid and stops buying gil and accounts from them.

While it is true you always have to take measures to defend yourself it's the RMTs (and the people who buy things from them) to blame here, not the people who's account got stolen.

(Unless they are dumb enough to install things they shouldn't by their own free will, then it simply becomes a gift from them to RMTs).
        sigpic
        "In this world, the one who has the most fun is the winner!" C.B.
        Prishe's Knight 2004-Forever.

その目だれの目。

Comment

BTW, there is a legitimate smart.dll. It's existence isn't necessarily an indicator of anything.

I know that windowblinds and rivatuner both ship with a smart.dll.
          I use a Mac because I'm just better than you are.

HTTP Error 418 - I'm A Teapot - The resulting entity body MAY be short and stout.

loose

Comment

Originally posted by Raydeus View Post
            Unless they are dumb enough to install things they shouldn't
            This is like saying "Unless you invite random people to sleep in your basement, it's not your fault if your stuff gets stolen.", when you leave your garage door open when you go on vacation.

Yes, it is your fault. Is what they're doing wrong? Sure. Does that excuse the fact that they're just going after low hanging fruit, and you made yourself an incredibly easy target? Absolutely not.

Comment

Anyone have any security suggestions for making sure FFXIO doesn't become a host for this thing? <_<
              lagolakshmi on Guildwork :: Lago Aletheia on Lodestone

Comment

Landmines and guard dogs?
                "I have a forebrain, my ability to abstract thoughts allow for all kinds of things" - Red Mage 8-Bit theater

Comment

Don't browse w/o logging in so we don't get hid by ads?
                  Adventures of Akashimo Hakubi & Nekoai Nanashi

Comment

Originally posted by Taskmage View Post
                    Anyone have any security suggestions for making sure FFXIO doesn't become a host for this thing? <_<

New curtains and a dog.

500 hours in MS paint

Comment

Originally posted by Tickmeoff View Post
                      New curtains and a dog.
                      I've been wanting to replace this floral pattern forever anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Mhurron View Post
                        BTW, there is a legitimate smart.dll. It's existence isn't necessarily an indicator of anything.

I know that windowblinds and rivatuner both ship with a smart.dll.
                        The legitimate smart.dll files don't reside in C:\WINDOWS\system32

Taskmage: The articles I've seen talk about SQL injection attacks, but I haven't been able to find any details on server-side vulnerabilities. FFXIclopedia maintained that their "infection" was probably advertiser content when I asked if anyone knew about vuln details over there. That said, if there is an SQL injection attack responsible, it seems to me that PHP itself would be the likely location of the vuln since it has its own anti-SQL-injection facilities which PHP applications would tend to rely on.
                        Last edited by Lunaryn; 06-13-2008, 09:41 AM.
                        Kumei, pickpocket of Midgardsormr(Bastok Rank 10)
                        DRK99,DNC91,THF90
                        Alchemy 72, Smithing 51, Goldsmithing 48, Leathercraft 23, Fishing 20
                        Koren, San d'Orian Adv.(Rank 10)
                        WHM95,BLM90,SMN85,RDM82,SCH49
                        Woodworking 29,Cooking 20
                        All celestials(Trial-Size), Fenrir, Diabolos, Alexander, Odin
                        Myrna, Windurstian Merchant
                        Clothcraft 24
                        Nyamohrreh, Windurstian Adv.(Rank 6)
                        BST90,WHM56,DNC45

Comment

Originally posted by Tickmeoff View Post
                          a dog.
                          OH SHIT SHE HAS A DOG. WE'RE FUCKED.

Taskmage, on a serious note, you'd be better off asking Mhurron (take the ICQ number from his profile, and send a message to it on AIM.) about specifics; but the same basic "update your shit" message applies. I've never really paid too much attention to security on the side of the host, though, since I've never had anything to make a site about.

Comment

Originally posted by Feba View Post
                            This is like saying "Unless you invite random people to sleep in your basement, it's not your fault if your stuff gets stolen.", when you leave your garage door open when you go on vacation.

Yes, it is your fault. Is what they're doing wrong? Sure. Does that excuse the fact that they're just going after low hanging fruit, and you made yourself an incredibly easy target? Absolutely not.
                            You are trying to excuse RMTs actions saying that just because someone is vulnerable it's ok to steal from them.

Common sense would tell you not to let your garage door open, but that doesn't change the fact that you shouldn't have to lock it in the first place if people were respectful of other people's belongings. Of course that doesn't happen in the real world but I just wont accept that survival of the fittest crap for this.

What they do is wrong, period. And there's no excuse for it.
                            sigpic
                            "In this world, the one who has the most fun is the winner!" C.B.
                            Prishe's Knight 2004-Forever.

その目だれの目。

Comment

Nobody's trying to excuse RMTs, but it takes two to tango. It's the RMT's fault a theft took place but if you don't cover your ass it's your fault you were the victim.

Comment

Working...
                              X