(Whm & RDM) Blink vs. SMN-Garuda Blink vs. BLU Zephyr Mantle Blink

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (Whm & RDM) Blink vs. SMN-Garuda Blink vs. BLU Zephyr Mantle Blink

Can someone refer me to a post or website that describes the difference between different job's blink. To me it seems like the RDM &WHM blink rarely block a melee attack, SMN-Garuda Blink block a melee attacks more often then RDM&WHM blink, and BLU Zephyr Mantle Blink is close to Utsusemi as you can get.

The reason why is last night I was with 3 other BLUs and a NIN/WAR (BLU/BST BLU/NIN BLU/WHM trying to get Spinal Cleave (Note: WOOT! 1/1) for about 4 hours and I was BLU/WHM incase we needed a second raise. I was using Zephyr Mantle (WHM Blink only has 3 shadows and Zephyr has 4) to try to protect myself from getting hit by the Qutrub when I got hate. I realize on average that Zephyr Mantle was blocking about 3 hits and let the next one through. I remember when I was in a PT with a SMN, (BLU/THF) the Blink Garuda casts block on average about 2 hits and let the next one through. I cant say much about WHM or RDM because mine are not level 65 (they are 37) and I dont know if the spell gets more potent the more levels you have.
    PSN ID: Kelshan
    Completed: F.E.A.R., Bioshock, Turok, The Darkness, Viking: Battle of Asgard, Timeshift, Folklore, Time Crisis 4, Dark Sector, Heavenly Sword, Resistance: Fall of Man, Ninja Gaiden Sigma, The Orange Box, DBZ: Burst Limit, Assassin's Creed, Lair, Overlord, Fracture, Condemned 2, Legendary, BattleField Bad Company 2, Infamous, UT3, Far Cry 2, Resistance 2, Borderlands
    Currently Playing: MW2 (Stuck in broken Phat PS3 ), Call of Juarez
    sigpic

Re: (Whm & RDM) Blink vs. SMN-Garuda Blink vs. BLU Zephyr Mantle Blink

My theory on white magic Blink is that it has a chance to absorb an attack based on your enhancing magic skill vs the level of the target. If you have a decent skill level and fight EP things, it will usually absorb the first two hits, but even with capped skill VT and higher have a pretty good chance of getting through for an attack without hitting a shadow.

Aerial Armor I believe works like Utsusemi in that it's guaranteed to block a swipe as long as you have an image up (and the attack doesn't ignore shadows).

Can't say which it is for Zephyr Mantle. It may be that it's skill based but because your blue magic skill is A ranked that's as good as 100%. Wiki says it provides 4 shadows.
    lagolakshmi on Guildwork :: Lago Aletheia on Lodestone

Comment

http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/

http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Blink
      http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Aerial_Armor
      http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Zephyr_Mantle

In short, they all technically give the same status effect, Shadow Images (which are different from Utsusemi Copy Images), but there are various nuances you may or may not want to be aware of. Number of shadows you get is a big one, and, as Lago (where's that video?) mentioned, Skill level may or may not be a factor, and in varying degrees based on the spell used.

Finally, the link at the top of this post is your friend.
      Originally posted by Armando
      No one at Square Enix has heard of Occam's Razor.
      Originally posted by Armando
      Nintendo always seems to have a legion of haters at the wings ready to jump in and prop up straw men about hardware and gimmicks and casuals.
      Originally posted by Taskmage
      GOD IS MIFFED AT AMERICA

REPENT SINNERS OR AT LEAST GIVE A NONCOMMITTAL SHRUG

GOD IS AMBIVALENT ABOUT FURRIES

THE END IS COMING ONE OF THESE DAYS WHEN GOD GETS AROUND TO IT
      Originally posted by Taskmage
      However much I am actually smart, I got that way by confronting how stupid I am.
      Matthew 16:15

Comment

Blink is possibly the worst spell ever. Simply becuase it gives you some sense of security, but when you need it the most, it'll let an attack through and kill you.

/rant over while on BLM

Comment

Well it's far from reliable, but if you get hate from something that can swipe you for 200 it'll block more damage than stoneskin, especially if your SS isn't capped.

Comment

Blink betters one's chance of getting a spell off while under ... duress. >_> It's a lovely spell, but one has to weight the cost of casting it (MP and time) against the potential benefits (e.g. able to get an alliance saving Sleepga off, for example).
            Bamboo shadows sweep the stars,
            yet not a mote of dust is stirred;
            Moonlight pierces the depths of the pond,
            leaving no trace in the water.

- Mugaku

Comment

as with all things in life, it never procs when you need it the most!

Comment

I don't think Blink's activation rate has anything to do with skill levels. It's easy to test, especially on RDM. Go into a newbie zone and cast Blink and aggro something; it'll still hit you through the shadows once in a while.

My best guess estimate on Blink is ~2/3 chance to absorb a hit with two shadows up, and probably closer to 1/2 with only one shadow remaining, regardless of what's hitting you.

The percentages are a little higher with Aerial Armor and Zephyr Mantle, I would guess, due to them giving you more shadows. If I had Blue Mage high enough, I could test this easily.

Just a hypothesis, but maybe the chance to absorb is:

N-1/N = chance to absorb a hit, where N = number of shadows remaining?

Icemage

Comment

Originally posted by Icemage View Post
                  I don't think Blink's activation rate has anything to do with skill levels. It's easy to test, especially on RDM. Go into a newbie zone and cast Blink and aggro something; it'll still hit you through the shadows once in a while.
                  That's not really an argument against skill since a lvl1 mob always has a chance of having a successful attack against a lvl75 character. The odds are just so heavily stacked in the 75's favor that the chances are low but they are never eliminated based on skill or job levels.

All I can say is Blink seems more worthwhile since my Enhancing capped.
                  I use a Mac because I'm just better than you are.

HTTP Error 418 - I'm A Teapot - The resulting entity body MAY be short and stout.

loose

Comment

My observations are anecdotal. It seems to me that when I use blink when farming coffer level mobs, the first two attacks always hit shadows. In besieged, admittedly not the best testing ground, I very commonly see myself with blink but not stoneskin after normal melee from a mob.

Comment

Originally posted by Mhurron View Post
                      That's not really an argument against skill since a lvl1 mob always has a chance of having a successful attack against a lvl75 character. The odds are just so heavily stacked in the 75's favor that the chances are low but they are never eliminated based on skill or job levels.

All I can say is Blink seems more worthwhile since my Enhancing capped.
                      The Evasion check is made before the Blink check. You can dodge attacks all day long, but the activation rate is what happens when a shadow gets blown away or you take a hit. I don't see any difference in Blink activation against EP or IT++ HNMs, and I should be, if skill vs. level was factored in.

Icemage

Comment

Well for me I use Blink on RDM when I'm getting an AM cast on me and I have yet to have it fail me. :D regular Blink is 2 shadows. Garuda's is 3 and Zephyr is 4. I've never used Zephyr but Blink is meh, cept on AMs, and Garuda's is rather reliable from my experiences.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyprian View Post
                          Well for me I use Blink on RDM when I'm getting an AM cast on me and I have yet to have it fail me. :D regular Blink is 2 shadows. Garuda's is 3 and Zephyr is 4. I've never used Zephyr but Blink is meh, cept on AMs, and Garuda's is rather reliable from my experiences.
                          I've gotten hit by Freeze from Liches when helping people farm for ancient papyrus for Limit Break 5 on WHM before. Yes, through Blink. Might be you're just extraordinarily lucky.

Icemage

Comment

Working...
                          X