Will we see FFXI for Wii?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will we see FFXI for Wii?

Pretty Self-explanitory. I'd buy it in a heartbeat if it were released fo Wii, to be honest.

With the Wii's online capabilities as well as the Wii-mote being a great substitue for a mouse, as well as capabilities to link up to any acessories, ispo ergo provided keyboard (like for the PS2 or 360), I could honestly see it working. Only with S-E's consent, of course.
    Originally posted by Armando
    No one at Square Enix has heard of Occam's Razor.
    Originally posted by Armando
    Nintendo always seems to have a legion of haters at the wings ready to jump in and prop up straw men about hardware and gimmicks and casuals.
    Originally posted by Taskmage
    GOD IS MIFFED AT AMERICA

REPENT SINNERS OR AT LEAST GIVE A NONCOMMITTAL SHRUG

GOD IS AMBIVALENT ABOUT FURRIES

THE END IS COMING ONE OF THESE DAYS WHEN GOD GETS AROUND TO IT
    Originally posted by Taskmage
    However much I am actually smart, I got that way by confronting how stupid I am.
    Matthew 16:15

Re: Will we see FFXI for Wii?

Thing does not have a harddrive, and with FFXI expanding like it does how are you expecting it to stay updated? How are you expecting it to add new content such as weapons and such without a harddrive. If you planning to change the code SE had already stated and still have been holding to not versioning.

Not to mention that the Wii is a 729 MHz processor, not sure what type of OS it's using but it's below specs for even the minimum requirement. The PS2 works even though it's a 400 MHz processor in large part because of how it was designed, XBox couldn't support it but XBox 360 can because it's specs.

I'm not seeing how the Wii will work with it...

Cheezy Test Result (I am nerdier than 96% of all people. Are you nerdier? Click here to find out!)

Comment

Great idea, but I think it woulda happened by now if it was going to.
      FFXIV Balmung Server
      Tenro Matashi
      PLD|GLD - MIN|BOT - ALC|ARM|BSM|CRP|GSM|LTW|WVR

Comment

Source

No.

I couldn't remember the original site I saw this on, I believe it was Joystiq. But Cubed3.com isn't the only place reporting it. I totally understand the response though. The Friend Code does sound like a pain in the $*@.

Comment

Originally posted by Macht View Post
          Thing does not have a harddrive,
          You can attach an external HDD to Wii to store downloadable content.

Comment

I'm getting FF Fables tomorrow, that game looks cool lol

Comment

Short answer: Imagine the controls.

Comment

Originally posted by Omgwtfbbqkitten View Post
                You can attach an external HDD to Wii to store downloadable content.
                Ehh, small fix. Still question the systems ability to handle the game. It seems to be basic technology and because of that I question if it has the Bandwidth or if it even has enough processing power to even handle the game.

Cheezy Test Result (I am nerdier than 96% of all people. Are you nerdier? Click here to find out!)

Comment

Originally posted by Macht View Post
                  Ehh, small fix. Still question the systems ability to handle the game. It seems to be basic technology and because of that I question if it has the Bandwidth or if it even has enough processing power to even handle the game.
                  Can't say I agree, there were a lot of Gamecube games that ran circles around PS2 games in terms of size and good graphics, not to mention framerate.

Comment

Originally posted by Tekumel View Post
                    Source

No.

I couldn't remember the original site I saw this on, I believe it was Joystiq. But Cubed3.com isn't the only place reporting it. I totally understand the response though. The Friend Code does sound like a pain in the $*@.
                    Friend codes don't have to be in every game...plus many DS titles have random matching.(don't mess with me I've fought a big flame war over friend codes and assumptions) As FFXI goes...use the Random and you've got no troubles ^^

The bigger problems are as follows:

1. No HDD- might be fixable by allowing the use of USB HDDs. It would just require a firmware fix. As it is now the Wii only has 512 megs of internal flash ROM(not near enough for FFXI)

2. No KB support- again you need a firmware fix to help this out.

3. posibly the machine might not be able to handle the program....

As for controls....well you could just have it make use of the classic controler and ignore the motion controls...

Then again I'm just speculating....and those fixes probabaly won't happen...
                    Shadowneko's FFXI Newbie Guide 2009
                    (have fun MMO players ^^)
                    Jon Davies AKA: Shadowneko of Midradsomr...soon to be transferred to Quetzalcoatl

Comment

1. this one is easy. I'm pretty sure the Wii will support USB HDD in the near future, if it does not in fact already.

2. I'm pretty sure the opera guys are working on getting keyboard support for the browser engine too so it's certainly on nintendo's radar (why include USB if you're not planning to support USB peripherals?) they might even go the way of adding support for a generic blue-tooth keyboard. (failing that SE could provide a wiimote keyboard plugin and handle keypresses as analog stick position changes in software or something)

3. the Wii is minimally, as good as a gamecube - gamecube was comparable to ps2. ps2 runs FFXI fine. (although not as fine as say, 360 and PC can) the Wii in fact, has some features that make it *better* than a GC (most notably, extra ram, which is the part of the ps2 that is most crippling additional features for the game at the moment.) The graphics engine is also slightly stronger than the ps2 (but again, not as strong as a PC or XB360).

as for controls: as long as it can support at least a compact keyboard it doesn't *really* need to support any gamepad controllers. it's not like you couldn't run it with a GC wavebird either for that matter.

It's definitely possible, the question then becomes: is this something that is economically feasible? (as in: will it add enough additional players to the game?) that's for SE to decide
                      Grant me wings so I may fly;
                      My restless soul is longing.
                      No Pain remains no Feeling~
                      Eternity Awaits.

Comment

FFXI will not be released for the Wii.

Wii code: 6851 9579 6989 9039

Comment

Originally posted by eticket109 View Post
                          FFXI will not be released for the Wii.
                          people said the same thing about server migration without corresponding opening and closing of servers - but look what SE is planning to implement now?

that said, I think you're correct. there's alot that would need to be done to release on a console whose stated target audience is basically orthogonal to an MMO's.
                          Grant me wings so I may fly;
                          My restless soul is longing.
                          No Pain remains no Feeling~
                          Eternity Awaits.

Comment

Originally posted by Amele View Post
                            as for controls: as long as it can support at least a compact keyboard it doesn't *really* need to support any gamepad controllers. it's not like you couldn't run it with a GC wavebird either for that matter.
                            I can't stand the KB and mouse controls on the PC. That's basicly the worst way to control FFXI. Using the GC controlers or the classic controler would be much better...if SE ever makes a Wii edition...
                            Shadowneko's FFXI Newbie Guide 2009
                            (have fun MMO players ^^)
                            Jon Davies AKA: Shadowneko of Midradsomr...soon to be transferred to Quetzalcoatl

Comment

you dont need a mouse. just keyboard.

for me, i find the ps2 controller just not quick enough.

anywho...
                              Omni@Remora: NIN75 RNG75 MNK75 COR75 BST64 BRD53
                              ♪♫ San d'Oria Complete ♪♫ ZM Complete ♪♫ CoP Complete ♪♫ AM Complete ♪♫

Comment

Working...
                              X