Aggro to resting/sitting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aggro to resting/sitting

I have heard many people mention that some monsters aggro to resting/sitting. I have never experienced this myself, nor have I heard from my friends about it. I wish to find the exact truth. I plan to run some tests.

Please provide me with as many details about your encounters with this phenomenon.

Including, but not limited to the following
    Exact monster name (or at least monster type)
    Zone
    What did the monster /check to you?
    Area of zone, <pos> if possible
    What stealth effects you had on
    Your level/job
    Haggai

i Am ThE bLaCk MaGe.
    I cAsTs ThE sPeLlS tHaT mAkEs ThE pEoPlEs FaLl DoWn.

Re: Aggro to resting/sitting

I don't have all the exact details of this, but I am almost certain when I used to farm Tree Cuttings in Zitah that the bats there wouldn't aggro me until I rested near them. I think they were "Easy Prey" to me at the time.

Sorry for the vagueness of that, but it might be a place to test.

Comment

Monsters that are too low level to aggro you normally will ignore your level if you are resting. This only applies to monsters that would have aggroed a lower level character, though; genuinely non-agressive monsters won't aggro anyone sitting or otherwise, and monsters that only aggro to magic won't aggro you unless you somehow manage to use magic while sitting.

That's mostly too weaks, but also includes some of the lower easy prey.
      Defeated: Maat, Divine Might, Fenrir, Kirin, Cactrot Rapido, Xolotl, Diabolos Prime, Kurrea, 9/10 Dynamis Bosses (missing Tav), Promathia, Proto-Ultima, Proto-Omega, 4 Jailers, Apocalypse Nigh, 6/6 Nyzul Bosses
      RDM90, PLD90, DRG90, COR90, SCH90, BLU54
      All Nations Rank 10, ZMs & PMs Complete, AUMs Complete, Captain, Nyzul Floor 100 (5 Weapons, 4 WS), Medal of Altana, WotG Mission 15, 1/3 Addons Complete, 9/9 Abyssea Main Quests, 6/6 Caturae

Comment

Yes this happens.

Example:
        My party was exping off mandys & goblins near Kazam. Our taru whm was resting and suddenly some idiot BST and his pet comes running off with a Goblin in his tail. The Goblin attacks our whm. Bonehead BST didnt even say a thing.

Comment

Any resting player is treated as level 0 for purposes of determining aggro. Sneak and Invisible still work as usual, but a level 75 player with yellow HP will still aggro a level 5 skeleton if resting, even with Sneak up.

You can test this easily by walking out of any city and using the /heal command in front of a beastman. It will immediately attack you, regardless of what level you are.

Icemage

Comment

I have had all bats aggro me while resting, even the not worthwhile ones. Not that it matters if the weak ones do, they always miss.

Thanks for the sig, Selphiie!!

FFXI Xbox360 user ----- BLM 63 / RDM 36/ WHM 42 / THF 25
            DRK 26 / BST 21 / DRG 17 / WAR 17 / MNK 10 / SMN 9 / PUP 4 /
            BLU 1 / PLD 1 / BRD 1 / RNG 1 / NIN 1 / SAM 1
            Bonecraft 63 / Leathercraft 19 / Fishing 7 Windhurst Rank 5

Comment

I forget what level I was exactly, but I was roaming around La Theine on my war and everything checked too weak, except the tremor ram which I had just faught was EP--. I sat down to rest up from fighting the ram (as a war you don't have anyother healing option) when a goblin that was walking by aggro'd me. It /checked too weak. Now this could have been from low HP I guess, but look over the ffxi wiki I don't see any gobs that aggro this way.

Hmmm. Good luck in your tests tho.

PLD75 DRK60 lots of other levels.
              ------
              Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
              When ignorance reigns, life is lost

Comment

Anything that would aggro you normally will aggro you if you rest/sit near them. The only difference is if the monster checks Too Weak, it won't aggro you while you stand. But if you sit down then anything that would normally aggro you will attack you. This isn't some great big mystery, it's been in the game since the game started.

Now if you mean some monsters aggro you *only* when you sit, then that's a blatant lie and just not true. But any moster that would have aggroed you while it was a high enough lvl to aggro will aggro you, regardless of lvl, if you rest/sit near it.
                "I have a forebrain, my ability to abstract thoughts allow for all kinds of things" - Red Mage 8-Bit theater

Comment

Maybe I should have been more specific. I know about the whole resting near a too weak aggro mob thing. That's not what I'm talking about.

I'm talking about situations where people claim that the monster had no reason to attack them, other than resting. Examples generally include a monster that usually doesn't aggro or the person thought they had sneak/invis up while resting.

It is my belief that there is no such thing as aggro to resting only. It is either a blood aggro while resting, the person didn't have sneak/invis up like they thought, or an aggro mob has noticed you more because by resting, he thinks you are extremely vulnerable.

As I said, I don't think resting aggro exists, just that monsters feel you are more vulnerable when resting.

---

As for that Goblin that aggro'd your WHM while resting, that is a hate issue.

So as he walks by the WHM, who does he dislike more? The WHM, because he has hit the BST and lost some hate toward him. The goblin did not aggro his resting, the WHM provided more hate to the goblin than he had for the BST, so he started hitting the WHM. I'd bet big money that if the goblin lost all hate for the WHM, either by killing him or the WHM zoning, that the goblin would've gone after the BST again. This is assuming that the BST didn't zone.

The act of hitting the BST a few times probably reduced the BST's enmity to that of lower than when the aggro occured. Thus, the WHM's new level 0 sight aggro gave more enmity.

This may sound confusing to some people, but you have to understand hate fully. For that, I suggest you level WHM, BLM, and/or PLD
                  Last edited by Haggai; 01-08-2007, 08:16 AM. Reason: removed hate value... was a confusing speculation
                  Haggai

i Am ThE bLaCk MaGe.

Comment

Originally posted by Karinya View Post
                    Monsters that are too low level to aggro you normally will ignore your level if you are resting. This only applies to monsters that would have aggroed a lower level character, though; genuinely non-agressive monsters won't aggro anyone sitting or otherwise, and monsters that only aggro to magic won't aggro you unless you somehow manage to use magic while sitting.

That's mostly too weaks, but also includes some of the lower easy prey.
                    I was in yughott at lvl 37 paladin, max level for a Orc fighter there is around lvl 23 so 14 levels below me all working out at too weak when you scan them. Started to log out , quadav was in front of me, didn't agro while i was standing, as soon as I squatted to start 30 second logout countdown the Orc targeted me and started attacking me, I cleaned him up and started the loggout process again. I have had this with goblins and quadav in Gustaberg when camping LL, and they are nearly 30 levels below me!!

Best advice, don't rest or loggout near agressive mobs, no matter what level you are.

Comment

Originally posted by Haggai View Post
                      I'm talking about situations where people claim that the monster had no reason to attack them, other than resting. Examples generally include a monster that usually doesn't aggro or the person thought they had sneak/invis up while resting.
                      They're lying or they were mistaken, i.e. not paying attention when Sneak and/or Invisible wore off.

Or they hit a game bug. Either way it would be unprovable.
                      I use a Mac because I'm just better than you are.

HTTP Error 418 - I'm A Teapot - The resulting entity body MAY be short and stout.

loose

Comment

Maybe I should have been more specific. I know about the whole resting near a too weak aggro mob thing. That's not what I'm talking about.
                        It is my belief that there is no such thing as aggro to resting only. It is either a blood aggro while resting, the person didn't have sneak/invis up like they thought, or an aggro mob has noticed you more because by resting, he thinks you are extremely vulnerable.
                        As I said, I don't think resting aggro exists, just that monsters feel you are more vulnerable when resting.
                        That's what I figured. Yeah, it doesn't happen. If it did it would be fairly common knowledge by now. Only time it's not known as to how a mob aggros is when it's a new mob, and then the only way to learn is to test it. For example, the first day AU was opened and I decided to explore the underground area. Found out the hard way that the Diremites there aggro sound. >_>
                        "I have a forebrain, my ability to abstract thoughts allow for all kinds of things" - Red Mage 8-Bit theater

Comment

If anyone thought this was the case, they were lying or ran into a true sight notorious monster.
                          ~~~BLM SAM RNG NIN PLD~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Mhurron View Post
                            They're lying or they were mistaken, i.e. not paying attention when Sneak and/or Invisible wore off.

Or they hit a game bug. Either way it would be unprovable.
                            That's the thing... I agree. I want a situation where someone has said that they were fully sneak/invis'd in front of a tiger in Wajaom when they bent down to rest. Or a situation where a DC, non-aggro bat started to attack when he rested.

I want situations where the only reason the mob attacked is that the player rested. If I can get that, I will attempt to duplicate it based on the statement of the player. If I can duplicate it, I will start removing other methods of aggro, until I disprove that the mob only aggro'd to resting.

If I can walk up to a non-true-sight mob with full sneak/invis/deodorize with full HP and rest, if that mob attacks me, I will bow down and claim that resting aggro exists. I don't believe that this will happen.

I agree with all of you nay-sayers. I just want someone to challenge it.
                            Haggai

i Am ThE bLaCk MaGe.

Comment

yess?? i had some difficulty with this lately on limit break 3 i lvled red to 25 so i could sub it use invisable and run through davoi part to get the orb needed i was aware of the true sight mobs and realised my mp was low so i whipped out my dark staff to speed up mp.
                              went to 3rd person view to watch for NM's none bang aggro running back to zone i got a train of orcs >< death -1.?00kexp deleveled to 59

It ain't tanking unless you get hit
                              To those who are about to tank I salute you.

Comment

Working...
                              X