Being Past Up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Being Past Up

A few months into the game this new guy walked up to me an asked me how to do Mission 2 for Bastok.

I told him how to get a map of Dagrif Wadi, first so he wou;dn't get lost, like I did my first trip. He thanksed me, and went on his way. A month later, he was already higher then me.

He was PLing a new girl named Granny, and asked me to help her too. I agrred. I heled her finish the first 5 missions and then brought her with me and my RL friends as we headed for Windy to do Mission 6.

About 2 months later she is like lv 60 and I just reach lv 30.

Talk about the students supasiing the teacher.

Which FF Character Are You?

Re: Being Past Up

Does it really matter? Level at your own pace. If you don't think you're levelling fast enough, then focus more when you're playing.

Off the cuff, if you're just hitting level 30 after 6 months of play, I'm guessing you have very limited play hours - yes?

Icemage

Comment

Originally posted by Lucky and Elizabeth View Post
      A few months into the game this new guy walked up to me an asked me how to do Mission 2 for Bastok.

I told him how to get a map of Dagrif Wadi, first so he wou;dn't get lost, like I did my first trip. He thanksed me, and went on his way. A month later, he was already higher then me.

He was PLing a new girl named Granny, and asked me to help her too. I agrred. I heled her finish the first 5 missions and then brought her with me and my RL friends as we headed for Windy to do Mission 6.

About 2 months later she is like lv 60 and I just reach lv 30.

Talk about the students supasiing the teacher.
      I've been playing since last spring, and my high job is only 32 MNK. In my own defense, I was in a band until recently, so given a choice of playing FFXI for my own enjoyment and playing a show for money, I had to go with playing the show. Now that I took leave from the band to go back to school, I have a lot more time to play, but most of my time has been spent mining and crafting to make gil...I want an emperor's hairpin and they are going for 2 mil on Fairy.

I wouldn't worry about your level versus time played. I see kids on all the time that go from level 10 to level 40 in like 2 weeks, but it's easy to do that if you have little responsibilities in rl. I've got work and school, which obviously has to take priority over FFXI. I'm happy with getting a level a week...who cares if it takes 2 years to get to 75? I'm in it for the fun factor, not for the bragging rights...
      I'm a slow motion accident, lost in coffee rings and fingerprints...
      -Frou Frou, "Hear Me Out"

Check out my blog! =>
      http://deuceffxi.blogspot.com/

Comment

Just play and enjoy the game

As I can see in you post, you spend your time helping others in the game, which is a great thing!
        Server: Quetzalcoatl
        Race: Hume Rank 7
        75 PLD, 75 SAM, 75 WAR, 75 NIN, 75 MNK, 65 BLU

Comment

Don't let this sort of thing get to you. Just play at your own pace, because when you feel like you need to "catch up" to those that have passed you, that's when a game like this could become real potential problem for you.

I've watched some of the nicest people I've known turn volitile, become selfish and break in-game or RL friendships/relationships just to feel like they finally made progress in an MMORPG. That's not to say this would be the case with you, its just something I've noticed happen when people have expressed such feelings of being surpassed.

You should never progress just for the sake of feeling like you're moving forward - just play to have fun, take your time, help others and learn to play your jobs well. High level functions can be cool with the right people but it can also be a farcical waste of your time, so there's really no rush in getting there. Its hard to find the right people to work with, even at that level.

Comment

I've been playing 2 1/2 years. My highest job is 68 BLM.

I know people who joined 1 year ago who have a job at 75 and are halfway up on another job. My problem is not to much limited playhours as a loathing for monotonus tasks, like farming and grinding. I have more quests and missions done then some people who where 60 when I started playing.

Don't let it get to you. It's a game. Play how you want, when you want. Just don't G1mP yourself and hurt ot her's playing.
            Originally posted by Ellipses
            Really, it's just like pretty much every question about this game that begins with "Why." The answer is "Because."
            Originally posted by MCLV
            A subjob is like sex, you shouldn't have it untill your 18 but if you don't have it after 21 everyone laughs at you.
            More Sig:

Comment

I been playing a good 3 years, at least, and have seen people who I helped at lvl 1 reach 75 on multiple jobs. Meanwhile my two highest jobs are both 56. Not because I don't play alot or don't like farming mind you. I just *hate* exp pts. Or rather bad EXP pts as that's usually what I end up with. I've had a string of 1-2k an hour pts my last 10 times out or so, with one 4k and hour and one 6k an hour.

Add on top of that my desire to do certain things before getting certain lvls, like when I stopped lvl both my war and thf at 45 to solo all of rank 5 or my refusal to get war to 60 until I beat the SL with a group of 50-60s, it's gonna be a while before I get to 75. Though I hear the first is always the longest, I can't see any of the other jobs I want to lvl taking anywhere near as long to get higher up.
              "I have a forebrain, my ability to abstract thoughts allow for all kinds of things" - Red Mage 8-Bit theater

Comment

Hahah, it took me two years to get my RDM to 75. In that time, I saw countless other players do the same in three months.

When I hit about 72-74, I stopped to level my subs, WHM, DRK, and NIN. Now, I achieved the leveling of three subs(to 37, obviously) in a month and a half where it took me nearly three months to get my RDM to the same level, initially.

It's all about the time you have, and the focus you put into it during that time.

Comment

Its funny. In my ls I was famous at being one of the slowest levellers. It took me over two years to get my first 75 when a few in the ls had 2 or 3. I took the time to do things right though and didn't compromise my gear or technique to level fast. I spent a few months exploring and doing quests ect as well. Most times when people had a question in the ls, I was the one that had the answer or knew where to look.

In the end, the only impact level has, is what you have access to in the game. A player's level has no bearing on their knowledge level or their skill. Along with that, the game is yours to play. If you like taking the scenic route then by all means do so. Just enjoy the game and play it how you want to play it.

Wii code: 6851 9579 6989 9039

Comment

Back two years ago when I founded my LS, I was in a static with the other founders. We all hit Lv.51, and then I went on a hiatus for a year. When I came back and all the founders had one if not two jobs at Lv.75 and I was still at Lv.51. I went from a position of always helping people because we were the highest Lv. people in the LS to being one of the people asking for help.

My motivation was to get to Lv.75 so I could help the other LS members, and stop asking for help. I didn't really feel left behind, just hated being "needy."
                    Odude
                    PS2 Beta tester - Cactaur - Rank 4
                    RDM32 - BLM17 - DRK11 - RNG11 - BRD9 - BST7 - WAR6 - MNK4

Lakshmi: Windurst Rank 10 - Zilart, CoP, ToAU COMPLETE - WotG
                    SAM90 - DRK90 - MNK90 - WAR90 - RNG90 - BST90 - RDM83 - NIN50 - THF46 - DRG42 - BLM40 - PUP23 - WHM20 - PLD13 - BRD13 - BLU10 - SCH10 - DNC7 - COR5 - SMN1

Comment

I know how you feel, but it doesn't bother me any. I've been playing for almost two months now, and my character is just level 16. All of the people in my linkshell, who were on equal ground with me (for the most part) when I first joined, are now higher rank and at least 10 levels stronger than me. Heh, that's probably why they don't talk to me anymore.

But this is because they spend 4-6 hours a day grinding levels, whereas I play maybe....10-12 hours a week. Also, I hate leveling. Hate it. Same way with one-player games. I hate running around in circles, waiting for random battles so I can gain levels. I would much rather just play through the game, earning whatever levels I need on the way. I guess with FF11, it's much the same. XP parties are so darn boring and repetitive. I'd much rather just hang out with friends and goof around then anything else.

And some people act like that means there's something wrong with me. But I don't know...they're the ones spending $12.95 a month to work, not play.
                      Daos Soulstaff
                      Hume WHM 21, BLM 20
                      Alchemy 12.6, Fishing 0.1
                      Bastok Rank 2
                      (Cerberus)

"Humanity spends way too much time making sure everyone's opinion is heard instead of making sure their opinion is worth hearing." - [GM]Dave

Comment

[quote= Eticket109]In the end, the only impact level has, is what you have access to in the game. A player's level has no bearing on their knowledge level or their skill. Along with that, the game is yours to play. If you like taking the scenic route then by all means do so. Just enjoy the game and play it how you want to play it.[/quote]

QFT

There are so many fun things you can do in FFXI if you aren't too conserned about exp.

Quests in FFXI actually has a story if you connect the dots. Easiest example of this would be the Choco/BST quests.

Windy's S.O.B storyline is a laugh riot. The Galkas and how they help built Bastok really gave Bastok its "darker" past feel. I'll wager not everyone knows how the town of Selbina got its name

These stories really help to shape Vanadiel as a whole.
                        Last edited by Freedan; 12-18-2006, 11:43 AM. Reason: fixed quate ^-^;
                        /em wave hand across chest

/s This is not the sig you are looking for. . .

Comment

Originally posted by tdh View Post
                          My motivation was to get to Lv.75 so I could help the other LS members, and stop asking for help. I didn't really feel left behind, just hated being "needy."
                          I feel the exact same way. The people who helped me never minded doing it but I was never in a position to pay them back. Now that I am at least 70 I can do more things that I wasn't able to do before.
                          You kill one man, your a murderer
                          Kill many and your a conquerer
                          Kill them all... your a God.

Comment

Originally posted by DrivenTooFar View Post
                            I feel the exact same way. The people who helped me never minded doing it but I was never in a position to pay them back. Now that I am at least 70 I can do more things that I wasn't able to do before.

That's true too. I like being able to help with stuff I used to need help on.

Wii code: 6851 9579 6989 9039

Comment

Originally posted by eticket109 View Post
                              That's true too. I like being able to help with stuff I used to need help on.
                              I feel the same way...we got a guy in work to start playing, and I was all excited cause I'm so used to being the low man on the totem pole, always asking questions of the 75's, now there's finally someone that's more of a newb than me and I can actually help someone get those things done that I always needed help with.

Alas, said person hardly ever has time to play (wife and kid and all) and is probably going to defect back to WoW when burning crusade comes out. Guess Ill have to enjoy it while I can...
                              I'm a slow motion accident, lost in coffee rings and fingerprints...
                              -Frou Frou, "Hear Me Out"

Check out my blog! =>
                              http://deuceffxi.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X