A few questions about skill-up duoing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A few questions about skill-up duoing

I need to start skilling up staff, and I was thinking about asking a friend to skill-up with me. So I have a few questions:
    • can skill-up duoing be efficient?
    • any suggestions on where and what to skill-up on? I'm a 47 pld. (I got some charts from another site, but they're either in japanese or don't make sense to me XD)
    Thanks!

Re: A few questions about skill-up duoing

Well, if you find EP Crabs, you may be able to do this, but you may want to wait until Lv.50. WAR25 sub would afford you Double Attack, and Defender. So that will help you much more. But a PLD & RDM Skill Up would work. That way you have some extra Healing Magic, and Refresh to help out as well.

Honestly, I'm not a PLD, but do PLDs really need Staff until the 60's? During all of my leveling, I think I've only seen three PLDs Staff tank, and they usually gave that up and started using their Sword and Shield after about 15 minutes.
    Odude
    PS2 Beta tester - Cactaur - Rank 4
    RDM32 - BLM17 - DRK11 - RNG11 - BRD9 - BST7 - WAR6 - MNK4

Lakshmi: Windurst Rank 10 - Zilart, CoP, ToAU COMPLETE - WotG
    SAM90 - DRK90 - MNK90 - WAR90 - RNG90 - BST90 - RDM83 - NIN50 - THF46 - DRG42 - BLM40 - PUP23 - WHM20 - PLD13 - BRD13 - BLU10 - SCH10 - DNC7 - COR5 - SMN1

Comment

With the recent changes to shields for Paladins plus the arrival of Corsairs that can provide MP, as well as Auto-Refresh, there's really not much reason to use a staff anymore in XP parties.

It's still occasionally useful to have a Earth/Terra Staff against HNMs, however, but you won't need to worry about those until level 75 really.

If you insist on levelling staff, I'd wait until level 51, pick enemies with low evasion, use /WAR, and use an Earth Staff to skill with.

Icemage

Comment

Eldieme is nice if you have Cursna. You get the double bonus of blunt damage to skels and Undead Killer.

Comment

Eldieme is a terrible place to level staff. You can skill up as long as you do at least 1 point of damage so the bonus damage isn't really a help, plus everything in there blood aggros if you're not close to 70+. Generally speaking you want enemies to live as long as possible when skilling up so you won't have to waste time finding more targets to kill.

Crabs are good for skilling up specifically because their Scissor Guard greatly reduces the physical damage you deal to them.

Actually, if you can manage to find a high level red mage, non-Wind/Ice elementals are probably the best skillup enemies in the game. They hit like wimps and can't do anything much if you Silence them, and take very little damage from physical hits which means you can beat up on one for a very long time.

Icemage

Comment

Originally posted by Icemage
            Actually, if you can manage to find a high level red mage, non-Wind/Ice elementals are probably the best skillup enemies in the game. They hit like wimps and can't do anything much if you Silence them, and take very little damage from physical hits which means you can beat up on one for a very long time.

Icemage
            Good call Icemage! I forgot to mention this. This is how I solo skilled Sword and Dagger into the high 100's before I moved to Crabs in Kuftal Tunnel. Light and Thunder Elementals in Behemoth's Domain proved ideal for this. A tad too high for a Lv.47 PLD, but you may be able to find some elsewhere that would work for you.
            Odude
            PS2 Beta tester - Cactaur - Rank 4
            RDM32 - BLM17 - DRK11 - RNG11 - BRD9 - BST7 - WAR6 - MNK4

Lakshmi: Windurst Rank 10 - Zilart, CoP, ToAU COMPLETE - WotG
            SAM90 - DRK90 - MNK90 - WAR90 - RNG90 - BST90 - RDM83 - NIN50 - THF46 - DRG42 - BLM40 - PUP23 - WHM20 - PLD13 - BRD13 - BLU10 - SCH10 - DNC7 - COR5 - SMN1

Comment

Don't forget the weapon-type mobs. Aggro can be a problem if you camp right in the middle of a patch of them, but pull one off by itself and it'll regen and cur eitself apparently infinitely.

Also, if you're below aggro range, anytime he gets looking a little worn out, drag him over by his buddies and they'll cure him up for you.

And they look funky. Which we all know is the most important thing of all.
              Damnit I was gonna ask Icemage something the next time I saw him, now what the heck was it...?

Yes, it was inspired by the Simpsons
              If you know how to download and use VRS, I am interested in being tutored.
              *There is a high likelihood anyone who tutors me will recieve mucho artses*

Comment

Personally I'd highly suggest leveling weapons other than Sword and Shield, when you're level 75. I am 75 and have capped my Staff skill -- but I hardly ever use it, and I never did while exp'ing.

But if you're just after some fun and all, I'd suggest maybe trying things in Crawler's Nest or Quicksand Caves on beetles (if you can manage to survive, I'm not really sure what a good level would be).

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

Comment

I am not sure about level 47, but @ Level 75 I duo skill up with a Drg/whm and it
                  works really well. We go for crabs if we can and try to make them last as long
                  as possible. Also, you are approaching a level where there is a lot going on (Limit
                  Break, AF coffer keys, etc.). I would think that in a few levels you will have a ton of
                  skill up party opportunities.

I never use my staff anymore, if I can help it. Although Spirit Taker is really
                  nice.

Comment

Working...
                  X