Fun FFXI Stories?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fun FFXI Stories?

I'll keep this short and simple because I don't really think much explaining needs to be done...

Anyhoo, I wanna hear your favorite stories / greatest moments / most frustrating moments, etc. Anything from newb stories to high end achievements. I love stories like this because it gives an insight into the reality of a game

So, let's hear it! Don't be afraid to post something real long, I promise I'll read it

Re: Fun FFXI Stories?

Campfire posts are awesome.

I like to keep mine brief though.

One time, as a young sprout of a Black Mage, I was working hard for my Artifact (Special gear that makes you look cool) gear. A few friends had gotten me my key for a treasure chest in Garlaige Citadel, and I was behind the third gate, looking for it.

I was panning around, when I noticed I had MP and sneak and invis was going. I sat for a bit, and grabbed a drink, and of course, a beetle was hammering away at me.

But the chest was in front of me.

It was too late. I died right in front of my Blm AF(artifact) hands.

My friend was on his way though. I waited and waited, and after 50 minutes ticked away from my respawn timer (Sends you back to your homepoint), he popped up. He raised me, and I got my old gauntlets.

Comment

just lots of times leveling and meeting cool people i dont really have anything too specific, its been so long since i actually playd

p.s - im coming back today ^_^ 3 minutes of patches left, not that anyone cares
      Originally posted by Blood Red Poet
      InuTrunks is just mad, because I ate his baby.

Comment

I love reading posts like yours Matera. If I can't play, the next best thing is to at least hear about others' experiences so that maybe I can get the game one day .

I probably won't reply after every one, but just know that I am reading the responses (if anyone cares ). Continue with the storying!

Comment

Well...in my early days, I was a suicide runner. You dared me to run somewhere, I went there. I pulled some mega trains doing that stuff too. My biggest record is 35 Yagudo in Castle Oztroja @ lvl 36 ^.^;

Take The Quiz Yourself!

Comment

I was doing the Promy-Dem with a linkshell a few months ago and I was their WHM. We had just finished kicking the ENM's butt and unforuntetly no drop : ( and about half the party needed the promy so we decided to try the boss. But only about 4 of us had Animas. We entered. I buffed and stuffed. Then I ran in and used my anima and stayed back glaring at the HP bars and they told me to Macro my Benediction JA and they would tell me when to use it. But I heard some noises from the kitchen and the fire alarm went off. I rushed to the kitchen and my mom had just barely put out a (Small)fire.

I rushed back to the computer and I saw the PT leader telling me to use benediction. Of course I was too late and we all died. No one was mad though. And it's pretty funny once you think about it.
            37WHM/25BRD/17BLM/16THF/07WAR/05MNK All other Jobs 1.

Gilgamesh Server
            Rank5

Comment

I still think some of my favorite times were way back in the beta or very early days, partying in the Maze of Shakhrami and pissing my pants any time I saw a ghoul. Basically, any time I'm with cool people who are looking to have fun (as opposed to getting 3 levels in the next hour), a fun story is created.

Unfortunately, I can't think of anything too specific.

Comment

To make a long story short, a couple days ago, a 50 Rng and I beat the minotaur for CoP, but didn't have enough time to get to the library part (no Thf)

Day after killing the minotaur, the Rng's out in Aqueducts again, and eventually he gets a key from a subligar pt, and he waits for me to get there. Our strategy: Rng/Nin and Rdm/Nin with Reraise earrings + powder boots. 1st stegotaur, we run past, get a CS, climb up the ladder, and we're good to go. We wait for timers on Powder boots. for the run past 2 more stegotaurs. Timer's up, and I take the lead, aggro both, and take one for the team.

So we wait for weakened to wear off and then start looking for the door to the candles/oil lamps. (I get a map from checking one of the ???s) but no door opens. More looking, no door. Wrong library... So now we have to run past 4 stegotaurs to get to the other library. Since I took one the first time, he takes the lead on the next run. We get to the library, then he gets brutally murdered, while I hide in the opposite corner of the library. We wait for weakened, find the door, get the cutscene.

We head back to library, drop down the hole, make it to the last taurus room. I make a miscalculation and a taurus is beating me up. I decide to instant warp, but then I remember the Rng might need sneak, so I cancel it. In that time, he decides that he needs to run out since he has slime aggro, so he uses powder boots, and then so do I. We both zone, alive, 1 death a piece, went through the 2nd half of 2-3 w/out fighting.

Comment

I'll share one of the greatest moments in my time playing FFXI.

Chains of Promathia mission 6-4, in which you fight three successive battles with a 45 minute (inclusive) time limit. This is one of the hardest missions in the game, and my party had been struggling with it for days.

We were on the final stage of the battle, and things had been going well. The last boss, Ultima Weapon, starts going berserk when it's at very low health. I had already died and reraise, and I was waiting for weakness to wear while the Summoner and Red Mage helped me cure. Our tank, a Ninja, died. At that point, our Summoner used his two-hour ability, Astral Flow. Now, a good Summoner can get three very damaging attacks out of an Astral Flow, but there is almost a minute wait between each attack. The first blast went off, and our Dark Knight used every ability she had to get Ultima to focus on her, but our Ranger pulled hate and got one-shot killed by the boss' special attack.

The Dark Knight managed to stay alive a few seconds longer. Trying to save her, I started casting my highest cure spells on her, but the boss used his special attack again a moment later and killed her.

The SMN unleashed another blast of Astral Flow. Our Red Mage used her two-hour ability, Chainspell (which let her cast magic with no delay). The Ninja was on his feet again, doing his best to get the mob under control while the Red Mage continuously cast her most damaging elemental spells. Ultima killed the Red Mage, then went back to the Ninja.

The Summoner still had some time to wait before his last blast, and the Ninja was struggling to stay alive. I was still weakened, but I had some MP again. Just then, the Ninja went down. Since the SMN had been helping out with the healing, he had more hate than I did. Ultima turned to attack him, but thankfully he was a smart Taru and was on the opposite side of the battlefield. At that moment, my weakness wore (after you die and raise, you are in a weakened state with reduced HP and MP). I stood up, used Divine Seal (a White Mage ability that doubles the potency of the next cure spell), and used my highest Cure magic. That got the boss' attention right away. His first hit took down my stoneskin (a protective buff that absorbs a set amount of damage). He hit me again and again, and my HP dropped rapidly. I glanced at the clock-- 32 seconds left before we time out and fail again.

Another hit, and I'm dead again. Then I see:
                  Ramuh uses Judgment Bolt.
                  Ultima takes ??? points of damage. (I don't remember the number XD)
                  Ramuh defeats Ultima.

Win ^-^b

Comment

Wow Av, that's awesome :D!

Battles where things go unexpectedly always are the most fun when you win. It's so great because you really don't think you stand a chance, then it turns out for the best. Good job on not giving up!

Comment

What a great story Av, those wins that are determined by whether the last swing/ability hits are the absolute best feeling in the game. Which is one reason why I love playing bst
                      Windurst: Rank6
                      Cook81.4 || WW62.7 || Alch60 || Cloth52 || Bone54.1 || GS31 || SM24 || Leather8 || Fishing18.3 || Cook94 (mule)

Comment

Great moments for me over the past 3 years:

- Defeating Maat as a level 70 white mage on my first try to complete limit break 5 to allow my character to reach maximum level. I studied and prepped gear, materials, and medicines for the fight for a week, and seeing my hard work pay off with an easy win was extremely satisfying (I was so nervous I was shaking, and had to temporarily remove my linkpearl to avoid being distracted).

- Turning in my 10,000th moat carp to acquire Lu Shang's Fishing Rod (quite possibly the longest quest in FFXI). The Lu Shang's is an amazing fishing rod, and the quest is grueling, even mind-numbing, but worth it in the end. I'd fished for months to acquire the money and fish to get the rod, and the feeling of freedom after finishing the quest was awesome.

- Being in the first group to defeat Chains of Promathia 7-4 on my server and enter Al'Taieu hours ahead of the Japanese players who were racing us to be the first to arrive in the new zone. There were about 6 groups pushing hard to clear the missions, and it was great to come out decisively ahead for the first time against the better-geared and more experienced Japanese players.

- Defeating Dynamis Lord for the first time, especially after surviving his 1087 damage Oblivion Smash move as a Tarutaru mage. Dynamis Lord is one of the most difficult enemies in the game to defeat, as he has access to every 2-hour job ability, and can cast pretty much any spell and has a large selection of painful abilities to draw upon, as well as a couple of quite deadly dragon minions that he summons in mid-fight.

- Completing the 5-ArkAngel fight for the quest Divine Might. This is an 18-person alliance battle against 5 powerful enemies, one representative from each of the FFXI races, each with a large selection of powerful abilities.

Icemage

Comment

Originally posted by Icemage
                          Great moments for me over the past 3 years:
                          - Being in the first group to defeat Chains of Promathia 7-4 on my server and enter Al'Taieu hours ahead of the Japanese players who were racing us to be the first to arrive in the new zone. There were about 6 groups pushing hard to clear the missions, and it was great to come out decisively ahead for the first time against the better-geared and more experienced Japanese players.
                          That has always been something thats baffeled me. How do you ever figure out which npc to talk to, who to kill, and the general strategies behind these things and still completing them in a timely fashion without a guide? I mean it's easy now since there are detailed records of how to defeat certain bosses, but when cop first came out, there were no guides. How did you manage to figure all that out especially when some of the mobs used unorthrodox tactics unlike zilart?

Comment

Originally posted by Bishop
                            That has always been something thats baffeled me. How do you ever figure out which npc to talk to, who to kill, and the general strategies behind these things and still completing them in a timely fashion without a guide? I mean it's easy now since there are detailed records of how to defeat certain bosses, but when cop first came out, there were no guides. How did you manage to figure all that out especially when some of the mobs used unorthrodox tactics unlike zilart?
                            We didn't use any guides because there really weren't any to speak of. We had 2 groups' worth of people scouring Vana'diel looking for clues. We split up and searched by checking likely NPCs one at a time, so one person might go to Tavnazia while another person would check Cid in Bastok, using only the clues the NPCs gave us in conversations.

I imagine this is what made the difference for us, as we finished the 3 NM battles for 7-3 well ahead (over an hour) of the Japanese teams, and defeated the NMs in Al'Taieu several hours ahead of them because we didn't let Tenzen faze us (4 tries before we figured out a winning combination), and we came into the 3 NM battles in Al'Taieu completely loaded for bear with 2 full parties, making it much easier despite not knowing much, if anything about what to expect.

Icemage

Comment

/taken from one of my previous threads.

I was pretty bored one day, so I asked my ls if anyone needed help with anything. Someone speaks up and tells me he needs help with a telepot scroll quest, so I offer my assistance.

The party meets at Gusgen mines and we press forward. Since it's full of undead, I'm urging the ls members to tell me when they need sneak, by saying s. So I sneak them all and we traverse the skeleton-filled cave. Everything goes well. until....

someone aggroes a skeleton in the cave. She didn't tell me she needed sneak until the moment she aggroed the damn thing. So what does this mean?

It means we're all in a world full of shit. Once the skeleton aggroed, the mushrooms and other skeletons in the hallway aggro. I figure I'd go out as a noble sacrifice for the party. I didn't bother casting sleepga, since they're undead. So I told the party to quit attacking the skeletons. (They weren't doing any significant damage to them, so there was no point in them attacking each one of the mobs) So I prepare myself and cast the only spell I can: Firaga II.

It's either due or die at this point.Before you know it, all the mobs go down half health in a failed attempt to kill them, and I'm killed in a matter of seconds. So what does the party do? All but one meber continue to attack the mobs, so my effort was in vain. After they get killed off they hp and leave without so much saying sorry. So I wait for a raise and continue to help the last member out.

Just thought I'd share that with you all I went out with a bang, so to say.
                              ~~~BLM SAM RNG NIN PLD~~~

Comment

Working...
                              X