This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FFXI strategy guide? yes or no???

i seen a pretty good deal on a strategy guide for this game, as youv all probly seen me saying i am awaiting my game in mail, but should i get the guide? does it help ALOT? can i figure things out ok without it? or will i be better and faster into the game with one? all these things come into consideration when i think of getting a guide! i have beaten all final fantasy games without a guide and i dont know an MMORPG is diferent then a single player final fantasy! any ideas? yes or no? I DONT KNOW!!! thinking too hard lately my kid just burnt down my kitchen... lol not fun! but help a fella out.

Re: FFXI strategy guide? yes or no???

Even before I went and bought the thing, I'd heard nothing but bad about the guide (I assume you're talking about the Bradygames one). I saw it at the Barnes&Noble and figured I might as well, so I bought it.

Honestly, the thing is good for the maps, a few of the quests, and not much else (aside from laughs). First and foremost, the info is incredibly dated. From 2003, I think. This wouldn't be a problem with a regular RPG, but with an MMO that's constantly expanding and changing, it makes for a bad guide. Sometimes, the info is just dead wrong.

In short: no, buying the guide is not needed, and I wouldn't buy it unless you have some extra money to burn. There's a new players guide stickied somewhere on this site, I suggest you go take a look at that.

Comment

don't bother and save your money. the brady games guide is drivel.

Thanks Yyg!

Comment

I guess you can do fine without it, there's enough helpful websites.
        http://www.ffxiah.com/player.php?id=953347

War75 Thf75 Pld75 Sam75 Mnk75 Rdm75 Nin75 Bard 75

Comment

Assuming you mean the Brady Guide -

I did get it, though I found the atlas to be a better buy. It did come in handy for it's quest listings with a quick blurbs about how to get them done, also you might find the synthing recipes handy. Other then that the Brady guide is 2 years old, and 2 expansions out of date. The job information is either old or just plain wrong as is a lot of the race specific information it has.

In short it will be handy when you're getting started, especially if you can't search for things on the internet while you play, but the best information will be found on websites that are far more up to date.

Others will call it the spawn of the devil, but as long as you don't treat it as gospel it can be handy when you first start out.
          I use a Mac because I'm just better than you are.

HTTP Error 418 - I'm A Teapot - The resulting entity body MAY be short and stout.

loose

Comment

The Brady guide is junk. So it the printed atlas. Everything in each is outstripped by the references you already use online. Only reason to get one would be to use the spell lists, renkei chart, bestiary, etc if you don't own a printer or a second box to look that stuff up on while you play. Even for that, a lot of the information is old, incomplete, or flat out wrong.
            lagolakshmi on Guildwork :: Lago Aletheia on Lodestone

Comment

I can't say that I can recommend the guide to anyone. It's full of bad advice and out-of-date information.

You're much better off looking for what you need at sites like Somepage for general reference, or if you have specific questions that you can't find answers for, Searching the forums here will quite often yield the answers to what you need without having to wait for a response.

Lastly you can always ask specific questions in the forums here, as long as you allow for some time for people to respond with an answer.

Icemage

Comment

Or allakhazam is also very good. ^^ www.ffxiallakhazam.com Don't use the forums though... might be a bit false lol.

Comment

I think the reason most people hate it with such a passion is it gives advice on subjob combinations that are fanciful at best, and lead people to warped conclusions about what works with their job and how it should be played.
                  lagolakshmi on Guildwork :: Lago Aletheia on Lodestone

Comment

Or allakhazam is also very good. ^^ www.ffxiallakhazam.com Don't use the forums though... might be a bit false lol.
                    Hehe, it's funny you should mention Allakhazam...

Comment

If you're talking about the Brady Games guides, then don't get it, it's outdated.

All the info you usually need is on the forums.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitsugaia
                        Lol. So what? I'm a gilseller? People make so much drama out of nothing at all. It's a good site. I use it. Often. Yes, i know it's partnered to IGE.

Comment

Quote:

Oh god, I just came from there.

*Covers her ears and runs away screaming*

Comment

The problem with the only available Brady guide is that it is very outdated. Sad but true. There is the FFXI atlas thats out there and that is great for beginners. Most of the maps that you'll need for quite some time in the atlas. But the guide is good to learn basic things like recipes, mob stats, etc. While it does have some stuff that will make you go WTF when you're a higher lvl and realize its drivel, there still is plenty of good stuff in there for a newer player. Not everyone has the luxury of printing out reams of info from the net and not everyone plays on the PC with windower.
                            Originally posted by Feba
                            But I mean I do not mind a good looking man so long as I do not have to view his penis.
                            Originally posted by Taskmage
                            God I hate my periods. You think passing a clot through a vagina is bad? Try it with a penis.
                            Originally posted by DakAttack
                            ...I'm shitting dicks out of my eyeballs in excitement for the next bestgreating game of all time ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Taskmage
                              The Brady guide is junk. So it the printed atlas.
                              Well as far as I'm concerned the atlas paid for itself just with the better maps of the Jungles. It also got me to the Beaucedine outpost, Fei'Yin and the Vahzl gate crystal. I'd hardly call it junk, just lacking since it doesn't have CoP areas or maps that are found in coffers.

The guides should be rather cheap now so getting them would be just one more resource and having a book can be far more convenient for a lot of people. Just realize that it's out of date so if you see conflicting information on a reputable site, chances are the site is right and the guide is wrong. I used it for the quest lists and if i was starting a new character I would again.
                              I use a Mac because I'm just better than you are.

HTTP Error 418 - I'm A Teapot - The resulting entity body MAY be short and stout.

loose

Comment

Working...
                              X