This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: A noble, but vain, sacrifice

I think you just like being nakey-cat, and don't even notice the SNK warnings >.>

Comment

that I didn't know.

Sorry, I guess I should've been a bit more descriptive, but these are the main reason I didn't cast escape/sleepga.

1. After the said person aggroed the skeleton, they linked and everyone in the party grabbed a different mob. It was all happening so fast that even I didn't know what to do. Call it hesitation.

2. Everyone in the party was below level 40, I figure that (assuming each person has grabbed different mobs) in the time it takes to cast escape, they would all be dead and I would be the only one left standing.

3. As for sleepga, yeah my dark magic skill isnt the highest, but even if it were, the undead would have uber resistance against it. I figured that I would have a better chance killing them off with Firaga 2,(undead weak to fire, why the hell not) than taking a chance and casting sleepga on the 15 mobs that surrounded my party.

It was all happening so fast, everyone just went haywire, and even if I did tell them to not attack the mobs, they would attack before I get the message off.
      ~~~BLM SAM RNG NIN PLD~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Intensity
        Did you know if you strip off all your armor it makes Sneak Oils and Prism Powders last twice as long, if not more?
        Late April Fools!
        As for sleepga, yeah my dark magic skill isnt the highest, but even if it were, the undead would have uber resistance against it.
        You are right that undead are resistent to sleepga. However, sleep uses your enfeebling magic skill and it would work on the fungar you mentioned.
        Whm 75 Blm 37 Brd 75 | Bastok Rank 10 | Whm > Rdm

Comment

Also, resistant != immune. As high above them as you were it would have almost certainly landed. Then again, with your friends pairing off and going one on one with all of them, they'd have probably woken up instantly.
          lagolakshmi on Guildwork :: Lago Aletheia on Lodestone

Comment

The higher level you are the longer silent oils and prism powders will last. I also believe that unequipping yourself helps it, but I don't see it by twice as long. There's a big random factor in them, but they're usually more reliable than Sneak and Invis.

Comment

Originally posted by Impaction
              The higher level you are the longer silent oils and prism powders will last. I also believe that unequipping yourself helps it, but I don't see it by twice as long. There's a big random factor in them, but they're usually more reliable than Sneak and Invis.
              Stop propogatting that rumor. The only tjime sneak/invis duration changes is when you have a high lvl casting sneak/invis on someone much lower than them.

Comment

Originally posted by Taskmage
                Yeah you probably could've pulled off ES+Sleepga>Escape unless your enfeebling skill is way behind.
                Sleep won't work on skeletons at all. Period. Only way to sleep them is with lullaby.

Comment

Originally posted by Rones
                  Stop propogatting that rumor. The only tjime sneak/invis duration changes is when you have a high lvl casting sneak/invis on someone much lower than them.
                  You don't sound like you fully understand it yourself, so it'd probably be best if you didn't attempt to correct others.

Comment

Originally posted by Impaction
                    You don't sound like you fully understand it yourself, so it'd probably be best if you didn't attempt to correct others.
                    ....what part of what I posted doesn't make since? Sneak/invis duration is not affected by wearing or not wearing clothes. It is random with one exception. The duration is greatly reduced when you cast it on someone much lower lvl than yourself, just like all buffs. If a lvl 75 whm cast p4 on a lvl 1 it lasts about 5 seconds. If a lvl 75 whm casts sneak on a lvl 1 it lasts about 5 seconds. I have done this. I understand it.

Comment

Rones is right on this one. Aside from the relative level, Sneak/Invis duration is completely random. I've had it last for many minutes and I've had it wear off in seconds under any conditions.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMidg
                        Sleep won't work on skeletons at all. Period. Only way to sleep them is with lullaby.
                        Is that true? I don't think I've ever tried to sleep a skeleton, but I know I've made it stick on ghosts and other undead.

I'm gonna go with Rones on this with one exception. Casting a spell on someone who is much lower than the spell's level, not the caster's, causes it to have a much shorter duration. You can be level 75 and cast Protect II on a level 30 person and have it last the full 30 minutes because Protect II is a level ~30 spell. Isn't that more accurate?
                        lagolakshmi on Guildwork :: Lago Aletheia on Lodestone

Comment

It was my understanding too that we can't sleep any undead at all. But I must say this assumption was based on common sense which prevents me from trying to sleep them at all to begin with.

Recently however I just knew that we can ES+Sleep ghost type mobs.... you know, the round dark mashmallow ones. Was kinda surprised.

I still think dogs and skeletons are not sleepable by sleep, but I really have never done any tests.
                          There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot,
                          but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence
                          transform a yellow spot into the sun.

- Pablo Picasso

Comment

I've done it on too weaks, but it's very hard without elemental seal. Kind of like silencing ahrimans in that respect - it CAN be done, but on anything even close to your level, it's usually a waste of time/MP to try.

As for sneak and invis, I thought I noticed an effect from ice weather, but it wasn't a rigorous statistical test by any means. So it could just be that I *expected* ice weather to have a negative effect on them since they are wind spells, and then saw what I expected to see.

It appears that the caster's level, Enhancing Magic skill, use of a wind staff, and level of nearby mobs have no effect, and that the target's level has no effect if it is at least 20/25. I'm not aware of any solid tests regarding the effects of day of the week, weather, Magic Accuracy gear, the Wind Magic Accuracy merit, or Skulker's Cape, although it seems very likely that the cape at least has *some* effect, or why would they have created it in the first place? (But is it the caster or the target who needs to wear the cape in order for the benefit to be in effect?)
                            Defeated: Maat, Divine Might, Fenrir, Kirin, Cactrot Rapido, Xolotl, Diabolos Prime, Kurrea, 9/10 Dynamis Bosses (missing Tav), Promathia, Proto-Ultima, Proto-Omega, 4 Jailers, Apocalypse Nigh, 6/6 Nyzul Bosses
                            RDM90, PLD90, DRG90, COR90, SCH90, BLU54
                            All Nations Rank 10, ZMs & PMs Complete, AUMs Complete, Captain, Nyzul Floor 100 (5 Weapons, 4 WS), Medal of Altana, WotG Mission 15, 1/3 Addons Complete, 9/9 Abyssea Main Quests, 6/6 Caturae

Comment

Yeah, like I said in the OP, sleepga I wouldn't have done any good against skellys. Maybe if I tried ES >>> Firaga II, it would have maybe killed the mobs? Hard to say.

Since 2 members of the party were blms, I should have told them to cure me beforehand, this would probably have bought me enough time to cast another spell on the horde of mobs.

From now on, whenever I go traveling with lower levels, I'm going to ask them to bring their own oils/powders, unless one of the lower level's has the spell.

Originally posted by Rones
                              Well, apparently not because not only did he have time to cast firaga2, but they lived for a while after he died. Had he cast escape from the on set, he would have got all of them out except likely the first person who aggroed. Even if he didn't get all of them, some is better than the full wipe that resulted.
                              Wrong. The only reason they lived awhile after I died was becasuse I gained the hate of every mob in the area. This bought a little time for them to rest, but since they still attacked the mobs, the whole process slowly started again. Like I said before, in the time it would take to cast escape, the party would be dead before I even got th chance to finish.

What do you guys think? ES >>> Firaga II ftw?
                              ~~~BLM SAM RNG NIN PLD~~~

Comment

actually, you might have been able to DS+curaga to pull hate off everyone. Then Escape (just hope you don't get interrupted).

Thanks Yyg!

Comment

Working...
                                X