Need some help, please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some help, please.

Tried posting this in the Allakhazam Phoenix thread and got rated to default...

I know this forum isn't that active, but I hope someone sees this and can help me out.

See, I'm trying to get a Voyager Sallet. I can get people to help me kill the NMs, but I can't get Giant Scales to get to the NMs and I can't solo the mobs that drop them. I tried duoing with a friend last night and failed pretty bad.

I need a few people to help me with this farming. I've gotten so frustrated with this tiny obstacle that I've already dropped one Linkpearl.

Anyone who helps me will be invited to go on the actual NM hunt (drops r/e AGI bandanna, r/e acc/racc ring, and r/e Voyager Sallet, one of the best helms for melee before O-hat). I have a smn, 2 blms, and a nin for the fight, and can get another smn depending on time of the NM, so we should be able to kill the NM fairly easily. Like I said, it's just a matter of getting a drop or two.

/t Lecan in game or post here if you can help. Thanks in advance!

Re: Need some help, please.

Just FYI, the reason you're hearing so much negativity about getting the Voyager Sallet is because it drops from Carmine Dobsonflies.

http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/Carmine_Dobsonfly

With the listed jobs you have available to you, you cannot win this battle, as the Dobsonflies spawn 10 at a time, and will all link and attack you. You're going to have to find more support than what you have right now, as I believe you have seriously underestimated the difficulty of this battle.

Icemage

Comment

Thanks, but I have read 4 different websites about the Dobsonflies. My trouble, again, is with the Giant Scale needed to get through the Unstable Distortion to get to the point to use the stable Distortion to get to the island with the flies.

I can't even worry about the CB fight until I get at least one Giant Scale.

Comment

Originally posted by Lecan View Post
        I can't even worry about the CB fight until I get at least one Giant Scale.
        I have a smn, 2 blms, and a nin for the fight
        This is more than sufficient to get a scale. The wyvern-type enemies that drop them are low IT.

Icemage

Comment

Near the entrance, the drakes are Tough, actually.

Too bad only one of them (besides me) will help. A SMN and WAR,BLM,RNG,NIN don't last too long.

I'm not stupid, nor am I one of those people who can't do anything for themselves. Thank you for trying to help, but I have done everything I can for myself, except convince a few people to help me. That is what I was trying to do with the two threads, and all I have gotten is advice which isn't helpful to me (they reference strategies with other people) and rate downs.

For emphasis, strategy isn't what I am missing, I need manpower.

Comment

The question remains about why others should help you. Trekking across Riverne isn't the most pleasant way to spend an evening.

Simply posting a help request like this probably isn't going to get you the results you want (it's equivalent to shouting in Whitegate or Jeuno for help - only with less effect).

If you're really serious about wanting to do this, get your linkshell to help you. It's highly unlikely that you'll be able to grab enough pickup helpers to do this when they have no incentive to assist you other than charity.

Icemage

Comment

Originally posted by Icemage View Post
              The question remains about why others should help you. Trekking across Riverne isn't the most pleasant way to spend an evening.

Simply posting a help request like this probably isn't going to get you the results you want (it's equivalent to shouting in Whitegate or Jeuno for help - only with less effect).

If you're really serious about wanting to do this, get your linkshell to help you. It's highly unlikely that you'll be able to grab enough pickup helpers to do this when they have no incentive to assist you other than charity.

Icemage
              Well, as I mentioned, I dropped a Linkpearl over this, indicating that I was frustrated with not getting help there. And, a chance to get probably the best mid-level helm for melee that is unobtainable any other way seems to me to be pretty good motivation, especially considering I really only need melee.

I didn't ask for charity, and I didn't ask for people to pick at my asking for help. Thanks, but no thanks.

Comment

I don't think Icemage is picking at you. He gave you the best practical advice that anyone (not on your server) can.

I'm sorry you can't get the manpower you need and felt you had to drop your LS over it, but not having the item won't break your game. Why not do it later when you are higher level and have more high level friends around to help?

Thanks Yyg!

Comment

Originally posted by neighbortaru View Post
                  I'm sorry you can't get the manpower you need and felt you had to drop your LS over it, but not having the item won't break your game. Why not do it later when you are higher level and have more high level friends around to help?
                  Is there a reason he can't use his 75 whm for a 40 capped fight? (or the other plethora of jobs he has)

But on topic, yeah, unless you have friends willing to help, it will be very difficult getting help for this sort of thing, telling us here, or shouting in Jeuno. People probably cringe at the though of going to Riverne Site. Your best bet is to look for a better linkshell, one that's more willing to help than the one you're currently in. I'm sure you'll find one eventually.
                  ~~~BLM SAM RNG NIN PLD~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Mog View Post
                    Is there a reason he can't use his 75 whm for a 40 capped fight? (or the other plethora of jobs he has)
                    oops didn't even notice that

Thanks Yyg!

Comment

Just a piece of advice, Lecan (even though you, apparently don't like advice) is when someone is trying to help you, being a smart ass doesn't help. Yea, you can respond to this and bring in quotes or whatever you want to do, but abrasiveness was there in the way you stated stuff.
                      Lowering Expectations Since Birth...

Comment

If I were you, I'd just say the heck with it. If you are having this much trouble, it's not worth it. I also don't think you are realizing that the Sallet isn't 100%. Say you do get people to help you. You get there, you kill the NMs, the Sallet doesn't drop. You think everyone would want to trek back through Riverne 21-24 hours later to try again? I doubt it.

It looks like your best bet to get it is to find a bunch of people that want the Dobson Bandanna (which has 100% drop from each mob) and hope for your Sallet to drop.
                        Haggai

i Am ThE bLaCk MaGe.
                        I cAsTs ThE sPeLlS tHaT mAkEs ThE pEoPlEs FaLl DoWn.

Comment

I don't believe I was being a smart ass until the last post of mine before this one, but I've been wrong about how I appear to others before. I appreciate that Icemage was genuinely trying to help, and I recognize that he (judging from other posts around the site) knows more than me about the game. But, it seemed to me that the things he had suggested I had already brought up as having tried.

Edit: Yup, I know the Sallet isn't 100% drop (it's approximately 10% w/o TH from what I read, off of each fly). But, at least fighting it means >0% chance of a drop, which is what I have now. End edit.

It probably is me, but besides about 6 people, most of my 'friends' in game are only interested in me when I can help them. Of those 6, one is always up for helping me, doing something fun, or just grinding. Another is rarely on anymore due to real life, and the others are in HNMLS and literally always busy with them (I left the HNM scene after OmegaDestroyers went under).

I probably won't get this item. Like a lot of the things I wanted to do in this game. I never would have gotten through CoP if I hadn't almost forced people to attend our static runs (I would literally call their houses when they didn't show to something they had confirmed).

Maybe this game isn't really for me after all. I don't really get along with most people that play, I take setbacks too hard, considering what they really are, and I've never really had the networking retention that one needs in this game.

Eh, Marvel Ultimate Alliance should be fun for awhile. Worst case scenario, I try my PS2 for FFXII. (Or upgrade my pc to run WoW >.>)

Comment

There are a lot of nearly un-attainable items in FFXI. If you desperately want the item and simply must have it no matter the cost, then you'll find a way to do so, but you need to understand that FFXI is, at its core, a very social game.

To get the best items in the game, you absolutely must develop friends and relationships. There is simply no alternative (well, I suppose you could pay some RMTs to do it, but ew...). If you don't think you like the people you're associating with right now - find new people. There are thousands upon thousands of players on each server, I guarantee not all of them are selfish jerks who are only interested in what you can do for them.

With that said, developing those relationships is a two way street. You can not expect people to just drop what they're doing and come help you just because you ask, unless you've done or will do something for them in return. Sure, sometimes you get bored people who just want something to kill the time, but by and large most people have an agenda for what they're going to do when they log on, and try to stick to it because they want to get closer to some overall goal that is important to them.

I've been with my HNMLS for over 2 years now, and when we aren't doing linkshell-specific things, we help each other out with quests, missions, XP, or just spend some time shooting the breeze. That's the way a good LS should work - the members are there because they want to be, not because they want what the LS can give them.

Take a look in the mirror and ask yourself what you've done recently that could earn you a return favor like this. I'm not accusing you of anything, and I don't want you to post about it or protest innocence or anything of that nature; I just want you to think about what you've done for others that would earn their respect enough for them to go out of their way to lend you a hand.

Icemage

Comment

Working...
                            X