Re: I just purchased FF XI for PS2 and I need HELP! PLEASE!
I'll quadruple all the sentiments about playing on the PC.
But i'll add this.
I have a bit of a shrine dedicated to all things FF, (i collect FF crap, it's pointless, but it's a hobby /shrug) I have been thinking of getting the PS2 HDD w/ FFXI just to add to my collection. That's your thing bro, don't give it up, atleast your not collecting other peoples body parts. However, don't try and play FFXI on the PS2. It's just not worth it at all.
The XI community (and this is not needed to enjoy the game, by any means) has put alot of work and time into improving the game, beyond the support that SE has given it over the years. There are ton's of add ons that honestly bring the game closer to the niceity's of modern MMO's (like custom maps, recast timers, shorthand macro inputs, the list goes on) Hell, i learned XML scripting by just playing FFXI, and i can actually look at alot of code (relative) now and get a general understanding of it's purpose, all from camping leaping lizzy for 3 hours at a time lol.
Nah, the PS2 was the birth and unfortunately near became the death of FFXI, but as your a collector, get that HDD, display it proudly, but definetly play FFXI on the pc.
Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.
I just purchased FF XI for PS2 and I need HELP! PLEASE!
Collapse
X
-
Re: I just purchased FF XI for PS2 and I need HELP! PLEASE!
@OP
What you ultimately don't understand as I mentioned in my previous thread is--unless you live in Japan (well, I suppose you can import it), speak Japanese..and own a Japanese PS2 + HDD, you will not be able to play the expansion that's due out on March 27th. Let's presume you finally get this game working your PS2 and you enjoy it; now forward a month or two and you hit the level cap...well, in that time, the expansion is almost out and you will be excluded out of a large chunk of content that your linkshell (guild) and/or friends (which I presume you will make) will be enjoying simply because you are on the PS2 version.
There are two people in my linkshell (still in AllGood on Valefor) that still play on the PS2. One is finally upgrading to the PC version while the other has settled for the 360 version.
Leave a comment:
-
Re: I just purchased FF XI for PS2 and I need HELP! PLEASE!
You're throwing your money right out the window, I understand your sentiment of wanting to play games on the PS2, but the exact same game that plays 10x better on the PC is not only easier to get, its also cheaper and still fully 100% supported by its maker.Originally posted by labrodent View PostOk, a couple questions.
The Sony Installer disc comes with FF XI or does it come with the Network Adapter?
I did format the HDD with a disc that came with my package, it did not take long at all.
There is sealed versions on ebay for $8 plus shipping. Would it have this installer you speak of in it?
If I understand correctly, once you have an account, you can switch back and forth between platforms?
I am considering getting a copy from ebay sealed, if it will give me the installer, just so I can use the HDD. I think you have all convinced me not to play this on the PS2, but, I would like to try it, just to experience it. (part of my collecting experience) One of the reasons I collect, is because I missed out on about 10 years of gaming, when the PS2 was current. I want to experience those games....
Can I start on a PC, then switch to PS2 for a short while, then back to PC?
Where do I get the PC version? Someone mentioned Steam. I have not gamed on a PC since Quake came out.... so my knowledge of PC gaming is...nil.
Just an FYI, I paid $46 for the HDD which came with FF XI and Tetra Master, and the HDD Setup disc. I was lucky to get the Network Adapter free, so I am not out to much...and I have 2 PS2's that I want to link for head to head gaming anyways. (a slim and a phat)
Thank you all for your advice and council, it has been greatly appreciated.
You bought the HDD and the game for $46, Tetra Master has been shut down so you can't play it, and you were 'lucky' to get the adapter for free? Nah man.. go return it all to the store, because you got ripped off bad... the HDD is pretty much unnecessary for pretty much all the PS2 games, so you're paying $46 for one game that you can now get for $10.
Listen to the community when it tells you to let go of the PS2 version, it will make you hate the game.
My PC lagged like hell in certain areas of the game, like in besieged events and what not, I can only imagine what hell PS2 players had to go through.
Leave a comment:
-
Re: I just purchased FF XI for PS2 and I need HELP! PLEASE!
Welcome to SteamOriginally posted by labrodentWhere do I get the PC version? Someone mentioned Steam. I have not gamed on a PC since Quake came out.... so my knowledge of PC gaming is...nil.
Steam is basically a digital game store/social network. Any game you buy on Steam will be tied to your Steam account. You can download and play the games you bought on any PC by downloading the Steam client and logging into your account.
Leave a comment:
-
Re: I just purchased FF XI for PS2 and I need HELP! PLEASE!
Ok, a couple questions.Originally posted by Elwynn View Post0: FFXI on PS2 plays like mud, especially when there's a lot of shit going on. It can even degrade to 10 SPF (that's seconds per frame) mode in big battles, or merely if a bard is spamming spells on the group. (because the visual effects show on all players at the same moment) This is probably due to a slow IDE interface with no DMA support, combined with limited RAM.
1: You need to get the official Sony HD installer disc. If you're collectoring you will want it anyhow. (I suppose it's possible that someone could make it work from a FreeMcBoot card, but I have no idea if it's ever been done.) Note that you can ONLY use the official Sony HD for installing FFXI and other online games, and for memory card save support. This is because they added MagicGate commands to the IDE firmware in the drive. (While at least one modchip maker supported ordinary hard drives, it apparently isn't useful enough for anyone nowadays to make a hack to enable it on regular hard drives.)
2: Yes, when you put the HD in a new PS2, you have to reformat and reinstall. (I'm not sure about the reformatting, but I do know you can't just pop the HD into a hot spare PS2 because the game is locked to the console serial number on installation.) I recommend the Ultimate Edition disc, as it only takes about 1:15 for the initial install, without having to swap discs. Enjoy your eight hour download of the current version no matter what, though.
3: You will need an FFXI activation code to actually play it. (And before that you have to set up an SE web site account in which to enter it.) If the one in the booklet hasn't been used, you'll still be limited to what expansions it supported. The fastest way to get a new code is to buy it on Steam. If you already have an account that you want to upgrade, entering the new account validation code as though you were registering an expansion is sufficient.
4: Once you have an account, it will play all validated expansions that are installed on whatever platform you play on. I don't recommend Xbox 360, as it performs barely better (and sometimes worse) than the PS2 version. The PC version will run on almost anything with an ATI or NVidia video card, but you might need to install DirectX 9 because the emulation in more recent versions of DirectX doesn't work very well with SE's crappy graphics code.
5: Seriously, though, the PS2 version is really fragile. A couple of years ago a bug got added where it can randomly get stuck when you talk to an NPC (have to pull your network to disconnect), which forced me to quit even using it as a backup when a PC wasn't available. Some mission cut scenes will cause it to lock up with a black screen, requiring you to play on a PC to get past. Also, the next expansion coming in March will not be supported on PS2 except in Japan.
The Sony Installer disc comes with FF XI or does it come with the Network Adapter?
I did format the HDD with a disc that came with my package, it did not take long at all.
There is sealed versions on ebay for $8 plus shipping. Would it have this installer you speak of in it?
If I understand correctly, once you have an account, you can switch back and forth between platforms?
I am considering getting a copy from ebay sealed, if it will give me the installer, just so I can use the HDD. I think you have all convinced me not to play this on the PS2, but, I would like to try it, just to experience it. (part of my collecting experience) One of the reasons I collect, is because I missed out on about 10 years of gaming, when the PS2 was current. I want to experience those games....
Can I start on a PC, then switch to PS2 for a short while, then back to PC?
Where do I get the PC version? Someone mentioned Steam. I have not gamed on a PC since Quake came out.... so my knowledge of PC gaming is...nil.
Just an FYI, I paid $46 for the HDD which came with FF XI and Tetra Master, and the HDD Setup disc. I was lucky to get the Network Adapter free, so I am not out to much...and I have 2 PS2's that I want to link for head to head gaming anyways. (a slim and a phat)
Thank you all for your advice and council, it has been greatly appreciated.
Leave a comment:
-
Re: I just purchased FF XI for PS2 and I need HELP! PLEASE!
0: FFXI on PS2 plays like mud, especially when there's a lot of shit going on. It can even degrade to 10 SPF (that's seconds per frame) mode in big battles, or merely if a bard is spamming spells on the group. (because the visual effects show on all players at the same moment) This is probably due to a slow IDE interface with no DMA support, combined with limited RAM.
1: You need to get the official Sony HD installer disc. If you're collectoring you will want it anyhow. (I suppose it's possible that someone could make it work from a FreeMcBoot card, but I have no idea if it's ever been done.) Note that you can ONLY use the official Sony HD for installing FFXI and other online games, and for memory card save support. This is because they added MagicGate commands to the IDE firmware in the drive. (While at least one modchip maker supported ordinary hard drives, it apparently isn't useful enough for anyone nowadays to make a hack to enable it on regular hard drives.)
2: Yes, when you put the HD in a new PS2, you have to reformat and reinstall. (I'm not sure about the reformatting, but I do know you can't just pop the HD into a hot spare PS2 because the game is locked to the console serial number on installation.) I recommend the Ultimate Edition disc, as it only takes about 1:15 for the initial install, without having to swap discs. Enjoy your eight hour download of the current version no matter what, though.
3: You will need an FFXI activation code to actually play it. (And before that you have to set up an SE web site account in which to enter it.) If the one in the booklet hasn't been used, you'll still be limited to what expansions it supported. The fastest way to get a new code is to buy it on Steam. If you already have an account that you want to upgrade, entering the new account validation code as though you were registering an expansion is sufficient.
4: Once you have an account, it will play all validated expansions that are installed on whatever platform you play on. I don't recommend Xbox 360, as it performs barely better (and sometimes worse) than the PS2 version. The PC version will run on almost anything with an ATI or NVidia video card, but you might need to install DirectX 9 because the emulation in more recent versions of DirectX doesn't work very well with SE's crappy graphics code.
5: Seriously, though, the PS2 version is really fragile. A couple of years ago a bug got added where it can randomly get stuck when you talk to an NPC (have to pull your network to disconnect), which forced me to quit even using it as a backup when a PC wasn't available. Some mission cut scenes will cause it to lock up with a black screen, requiring you to play on a PC to get past. Also, the next expansion coming in March will not be supported on PS2 except in Japan.
Leave a comment:
-
Re: I just purchased FF XI for PS2 and I need HELP! PLEASE!
Originally posted by Yellow MageNo you do not.This, a million times this. The first time I saw FFXI running on the PS2 I was like "Wow, this looks like ass compared to my PC" and that was a PC from 10 years ago. The UI takes up a huge chunk of the screen, the draw distance is terrible, and everything looks fuzzy.Originally posted by HaydeI realize you're an enthusiast collector of retro gaming (if you consider PS2 to be retro), but MMO's don't quite function the same way.
Leave a comment:
-
Re: I just purchased FF XI for PS2 and I need HELP! PLEASE!
Someone should mention that they've ultimately decided to drop PS2 support on the game for European and North American region as far as the expansion goes--you will not be able to purchase Adoulin for the PS2 outside of Japan; the only way to play the expansion would be changing to the 360 or PC version. So, while I realize you just spent a decent chunk on something you've yet to try--that is something you should consider as well if you intend to play long term. I realize you're an enthusiast collector of retro gaming (if you consider PS2 to be retro), but MMO's don't quite function the same way.
Leave a comment:
-
Re: I just purchased FF XI for PS2 and I need HELP! PLEASE!
One thing no one has yet noted is that activations are per-account. If you purchase and set up the PC version, you can take that same PlayOnline account to/from any platform (PC, PS2, Xbox 360) for FFXI and your login will be valid, and all unlocked expansions will be unlocked no matter which version you're logged in from.
Moral of the story: Don't worry so much about the codes being used. Worry about getting the account set up and get the expansions unlocked on the PC version, then you're free to log in from whereever you please.
NOTE: I myself started playing FFXI on the PS2 version, and eventually switched to the PC version, and I know a lot of people who maintained both versions and use them interchangeably, so this is something I'm familiar with. Oh, and yes, the PS2 version is a pain in the butt to keep updated.
Icemage
Leave a comment:
-
Re: I just purchased FF XI for PS2 and I need HELP! PLEASE!
No you do not.Originally posted by labrodent View PostI really would like this for PS2.
Worst case scenario, you can find a desktop computer as old as 10 years (!) purely to run FFXI. I can guarantee that how much you'd pay for that computer, plus the Ultimate Collection Abyssea Edition (on sale or not) will be cheaper than how much you'd pay for the single sealed PS2 FFXI package on eBay. (And to say that you'd be getting a superior experience would be a a bit of an understatement--not to mention getting continued support for expansions from Adoulin onward.)
Leave a comment:
-
Re: I just purchased FF XI for PS2 and I need HELP! PLEASE!
There is some new sealed FF XI for PS2 on ebay. I really would like this for PS2. Now, the expansions, do they have codes as well or can they be purchased used?Originally posted by Satori View Postif those codes were used then they are definately of no use to you.
The discs would of been useful still to install the game but the serial numbers in the mauals get tied to the account which is the important thing.
Yellow mage is right as to which is your best option.
I really don't have a pc to myself to game with.
Leave a comment:
-
Re: I just purchased FF XI for PS2 and I need HELP! PLEASE!
if those codes were used then they are definately of no use to you.
The discs would of been useful still to install the game but the serial numbers in the mauals get tied to the account which is the important thing.
Yellow mage is right as to which is your best option.
Leave a comment:
-
Re: I just purchased FF XI for PS2 and I need HELP! PLEASE!
If they're used, they're probably no good.
Honestly, particularly if you're looking to get your feet in the water before late March, you're probably best off buying the Ultimate Collection Abyssea Edition, currently on sale on Steam for $12, which gets you pretty much everything you could possibly want before Adoulin hits (apart from a security token).
Leave a comment:
-
Re: I just purchased FF XI for PS2 and I need HELP! PLEASE!
Originally posted by Satori View PostSadly Bal is correct it's most likely whomever sold you the game knew they were ripping you off.
Each game has a serial number that we bind to our accounts as proof we bought the game.
The one you have is most likely used and ans FFXI player knows the code is one use only.
I'd try and get my money back. There's offers all the time for this game, For a while steam were throwing it around for about $10 for everything.
When I install Playonline software it has always been inside my installation disc for the game.
My current disc has
Playonline software,
Final Fantasy main game software,
Rize of the Zilart expansio,
Chains of promathia expansion,
Treasures of Aht Urhgan expansion,
Wings of the Goddess expansion,
^^ all on one disc.
The three Abyssea expansions you buy from SE direct.
The mini expansions are the same but the less said about them the better.
I'd try get my money back if I was you though. The person selling it to you knew full well they were scamming you before they even listed it where you bought it.
they probably sold the character first and then used you to make anothe few $ when the disc should of been sent to the new account holder or thrown away/given to friend as a backup disc,
I bought this from an online retailer of used games. There is codes in the manual, those are no good?
Leave a comment:
-
Re: I just purchased FF XI for PS2 and I need HELP! PLEASE!
Sadly Bal is correct it's most likely whomever sold you the game knew they were ripping you off.
Each game has a serial number that we bind to our accounts as proof we bought the game.
The one you have is most likely used and ans FFXI player knows the code is one use only.
I'd try and get my money back. There's offers all the time for this game, For a while steam were throwing it around for about $10 for everything.
When I install Playonline software it has always been inside my installation disc for the game.
My current disc has
Playonline software,
Final Fantasy main game software,
Rize of the Zilart expansio,
Chains of promathia expansion,
Treasures of Aht Urhgan expansion,
Wings of the Goddess expansion,
^^ all on one disc.
The three Abyssea expansions you buy from SE direct.
The mini expansions are the same but the less said about them the better.
I'd try get my money back if I was you though. The person selling it to you knew full well they were scamming you before they even listed it where you bought it.
they probably sold the character first and then used you to make anothe few $ when the disc should of been sent to the new account holder or thrown away/given to friend as a backup disc,
Leave a comment:


Leave a comment: