This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: A Beginner's Guide to /check

A mobs conned evasion will be affected if you are blinded. Last night checked a funguar while blinded and got "decent challenge", when blindness wore off it checked "decent challenge with low evasion".
    Thanks Kazuki.
    Dragoon Equipment

Comment

Originally posted by Skoal
      A mobs conned evasion will be affected if you are blinded. Last night checked a funguar while blinded and got "decent challenge", when blindness wore off it checked "decent challenge with low evasion".
      I did not know that. Very interesting.

Comment

I'll be honest, I thought this was going to be a discussion on /checking other players. It is good to se I was way wrong on that aspect. THis is a good guide for beginners. It took me a while to figure out what I was doing when I died so much as a starter out in East Sarutabaruta.

[75NIN] | [75RNG] | [64NPC]
        [W10] | [ZM Complete] | [PM Complete] | [TA25]
        San d' Oria 0 | Bastok 0
        Current: Apocolypse Nigh

Comment

In regard to the "Impossible to gauge!" message, this will also show up when you check fished up monsters. They are generally not considered to be "real" notorious monsters, despite sometimes having unique names. Then again, there are some fished up mobs that are most certainly notorious monsters, the Sea Horror for example (which can either spawn on its own or be fished up).
          Also, the syntax for the evasion/defense message would be:

The Goblin Pathfinder seems too weak to be worthwhile.
          It seems to have low evasion and defense.

And another detail about Too Weak mobs; they will not only withold crystals, but they are also incapable of dropping Beastman Seals.
          Last edited by Plight; 06-15-2006, 10:01 PM.

Comment

In regard to the "Impossible to gauge!" message, this will also show up when you check fished up monsters.
            you sure about this? I am pretty sure only NM Fish check as Impossible to gauge, and normal fished up monsters exactly the same as land monsters. I'm thinking Devil Manta's in Kuftal Tunnel as a reference.
            [main]@75 = BLM+WAR
            [sub]@37+ = NIN THF RNG WHM RDM

Comment

A small thing, but should be pointed out.

The level range of ep/it does change. I don't know the numbers, but:

Take you're average level 4 forest hare. He will show as even match at level 4, obviously. He then quickly becomes too weak at around level 10. Whereas a level ~63 scorpion will still be ep at 75

Comment

Yeah, i'm fairly sure only fished up NMs are ITG.

I remember checking fish Manta fishers were fishing up as T when I was leveling in terrigan.

Comment

(1) Sea Horror is NOT fished up, he's a random lottery pop from the Sea Monks that spawn naturally on the Selbina/Mhaura Ferry (both directions).

(2) Yes, only fishable NMs like Apoolovik, Orobon, and Cyclopean Conch will check as impossible to gauge. Normal fished monsters check just like regular monsters; the only difference is that they spawn red to you when you fish them up unless you have Sneak up, and will not aggro other players.

For beginners, it's probably best to avoid most anything that checks as impossible to gauge unless you know what it is (and when in doubt, ask a friend). There are some notorious monsters that spawn in otherwise completely harmless settings that will smoke you just for looking at them the wrong way (Steelfleece and Bloodtear to anyone below level 70 in La Theine or Konschtat for instance).

Icemage

Comment

Great guide im new to FFXI Lvl 11 / WAR and it helped me alot id rather just /c then go all the way to his name with my controller

[Char info] ]Fatalityz: MNK 75 DRK 75] [Server : Fairy]

Comment

you might also tell the lower lvs some advantges of bst like killing T mobs easier then most jobs. and if you are lving bst in dunes you can normly kill a T depending on the mob you charm. and on the case of bst DONT USE WHIRLE CLAWS AROUND OTHER MOBS!!!!!
                      =P
                      hey every one

dont make a whm mad he'll sit back and watch you die

Comment

thank you lol i was trying to explain this to my friend who just joined and he was all confused <.<

Comment

Working...
                        X