Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Revisiting old Dats

Long and boring ramble:

A few years ago, I did a male human shirtless dat that I thought was passable, but as with most of my artwork, opening it recently (having returned to FFXI and needing a base texture for further DAT modding) made me realize how horribly ugly it was.

Ironically, in this period, someone seemed to have appropriated my texture and uploaded it to FFXIdats at o.O.o Final Fantasy XI Dats o.O.o - Muscular Bare Chest claiming it was his own work, which either is a remarkable coincidence, or blatant plagiarism (he did modify it a little, to his credit).

Ironically, I'm not angry about it at all because... well, it's flattering, I frankly don't care - and the old model was ugly as heck: case in point - here's the original in Metaseq (directly from my computer).

Ugly ugly ugly! Checking the other dats available, I wasn't altogether too pleased with the other popular shirtless one, so like the old adage goes, the proof of originality is best demonstrated by further work.

Dragging out Metaseq and Photoshop, I managed to whip something together that displayed a slightly better understanding of anatomy:

But the pectoral area was horribly flat and the back musculature was overly pronounced. Due to polygonal limitations, I couldn't really do much except re-texture and reduce definition (remember, I haven't touched DAT modding in over two years). The Final product is below:

You, esteemed reader, could do me a favour by testing it out and providing feedback, especially with regard to how to fix the overly "flat" look of the pectorals, and on whether it's an improvement over my old texture. I don't think I've quite succeeded in fixing it yet.

Alternatively, we could just get that funny guy to plagiarize it (modify it without giving credit) and stick it up on FFXIDats. :D

(Warning: Yousendit link - will become inactive in seven days, but that's fine cause it's temporary)

YouSendIt - Send large files - transfer delivery - FTP Replacement
    I believe most sigs are like the people they represent - useless, loud and obnoxious.

Re: Revisiting old Dats

Looks nicely done, also considering a two year hiatus.

I believe the only way to "enhance" it would be to add some primitives and rework them into it so that you can add some "depth" to the pectorals.
    Last edited by Dracovivi; 04-07-2008, 11:02 AM.

http://www.neko-sentai.com/users/dracovivi/

Comment

Hmm, primitives would be kinda overdoing it. Something like a prosthesis for men! I'll need to refresh on how to map textures to them in VRS.

Meanwhile on the subject of old dats, I've been trying to redo my face shading on an old recolour. Yeah, there are tons of them out there, but I'm going for subtlety

Left is the original for comparision. I've mostly altered the shading on the eye sockets, lips and nose.

Side View

Something doesn't look quite right though. Any idea? Maybe I should add cheekbones.
      I believe most sigs are like the people they represent - useless, loud and obnoxious.

Comment

He bears a striking resemblance to Bear Grylls. I think reworking the neck area would prove more beneficial than anything, although cheekbones might help as well.

Edit: Body looks like it has too much contrast as well, mostly on the abs and obliques.
        Last edited by Stromgarde; 04-12-2008, 02:37 PM.

Comment

Bear Grylls? Umm...

Maybe not the nose. (in-game shot taken next to unmodified Face 3A for comparision)

I'm pretty satisfied with the way it looks in-game now (although it looks pretty strange in ModelViewer). I think might go over some of the other uglier hume M faces and tweak them a little though. Except the silly ones. People that picked those wanted to look silly anyway.

Comment

Working...
          X