Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

could this work to improve the graphics in ps3 ffxi?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• could this work to improve the graphics in ps3 ffxi?

Ok, I was just wondering. FFXI stores all files in the hard drive for both ps2 and ps3. The same occurs in the XBOX 360 version. I wonder if the XBOX 360 graphic files which are already in 720p could be extracted and converted to a format that the PS3 can use. I think this way it could maybe display the graphics as high def for FFXI on PS3.

Let me know what you think or if you have seen anything like this done. I have been looknig and found nothing online.

Re: could this work to improve the graphics in ps3 ffxi?

I'm afraid that'll be impossible. as PS3 won't even begin to recongnize the xbox360 files, or even be copied over. even if it was successfully copied over, there would be problems with xbox360 and ps3 game coded differently, so it wouldn't even run at all.

Comment

Indeed, the way the game is programmed and installed onto the HDD goes well beyond your understanding based on the way it's done in the PC version. It doesn't exactly work in such a way as allowing you to simply cut and paste textures and models here and there. It's programmed as a PS2 game, and even if such a thing were theoretically possible, it would not have sufficient memory to display such HD resources.

The only hope of playing the game in any higher quality than PS2 would be using an HDTV to upscale the game to 720p, 1080i or 1080p using a 60GB or 80GB PS3.
      PSN ID - PaiPai Gamertag - PaiPaiMaster Steam ID: Pai Pai Master
      Rockman - Fairy

WAR75/SMN75/PLD68/NIN37/THF37/SAM37/WHM41
      WIN8-1/ZM (Clear)/PM (Clear)/AM (Clear)/WotG3/ACP1
      Currently Playing:
      FINAL FANTASY XIII, Starcraft 2 Beta

Comment

The game looks like crap on my new HDTV even with my PS3 upscaling it to 1080p ; ;
        sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

could anyone post some screenshots of FFXI upscaled to HD running on a ps3?

Originally posted by SevIfrit
          we asked for more wyvern control the give us emotes.... /em slams head off desk...

Comment

Hmm... yeah, that is what I have read. To my understanding, the PS3 do not upscale the image, they just display it as a 480i image. This looks quite bad on a Big screen HDTV.

The sad part is that even if the PS3 could upscale PS2 games, the graphics are not made in high resolution like the XBOX 360 graphics.

Hmmm... so if the PS2 file structure is way different to the PC file structure then I wouldnt even think of trying to mod this.

Ok so the enxt round, can the PC game be run in Linux? Maybe loading the game in the PS3 as linux would prove successful. Pelase post your input or opinions on the matter.

Comment

The PS3 does upscale PS2 graphics to 1080p. They still look somewhat blurry though, and I have no idea if the PS2 version has support for a widescreen resolution.

As for the Linux question, access to the graphical processor is locked out while running under Linux for some reason from what I've heard. So, even if you could by some feat get it running in Linux, it would run like crap.

Comment

Question:

Before I broke my HDD in my PS2, I played FF on PS2 for years. I've been playing on one of those little mini TV's with the VCR attached to the bottom, simply because the graphics are much smoother, brighter and overall nicer on that television, rather than on my big HD, flat screen plasma. When I put it on that TV, the graphics and the resolution suck ASS. I don't get how a better/nicer/newer TV can look much worse than the little old TV. When I play my Wii on the plasma, the graphics are nice and smooth and look nothing like FF looks on it...what's up with that? =/

Comment

It's because you are stretching the image...

Imagine a 640x480 image... It looks decent on a 15" monitor if you made it fullscreen, not take that same image and full screen it on a 22" monitor... you'll see distortion etc

So basically the crappy resolution of the PS2 looks better on a 13" tv over a (lets say a) 42" is because it doesn't have to "stretch to fit" a small "image" over a larger screen. And Wii is made for better TVs over FFXI was.

Hope that clears it up for you some.

http://www.neko-sentai.com/users/dracovivi/

Comment

I use the PS3 copy of the game only as a backup cause yes it looks blurry no matter how much I fiddle with size and shape. Do not know all the specifications things but i have it on all the machines and I personally think the best is 360' on HDTV. One good thing with PS3 and hehe I am sure you all might not agree is that its on that "next gen" ps3 machine you can still play Tetra Master. They for some reason left it off the HD version for 360'.
                    sigpic
                    "Square Music for a Round World"
                    Final Fantasy Radio

Comment

If you can get an OS to run on your PS3 it is technically possible to use the PC version of the game on it. You'll probably have to google it or something as I've no idea as to how you go about putting on OS on your PS3 then having it boot it up. I have seen a youtube video of someone getting Windows XP to boot up on a PS3 via I think it was Linux. I'm not sure. If I ever find the video I'll link it here.
                      Rahal Gerrant - Balmung - 188 DRK
                      Reiko Takahashi
                      - Balmung - 182 AST, 191 BLM, 182 SCH, 188 SMN
                      Haters Gonna Hate

Comment

yeah, really not going to happen. You'd have to run linux on the PS3, and then inside that you'd have to run a windows emulator that emulates 3D support (the PS3's GPU is locked out when in linux last I checked), and then run FFXI on top of that. Plus, I don't think any of the linux distros out there for PS3 really use the Cell, nor would the virtual machine program most likely.

If you want to play FFXI on your TV, get a cheap computer, get the cables to hook it up, do the standard registry messing around, and don't forget to change the screen ratio in game. The next best thing is the 360 version. But trying to make FFXI look good on PS3 isn't going to get you very far.

Comment

FFXI has always worked fine on the PS3 until Sony went nuts and took out the ability to play ps2 games...
                          sigpic
                          "Square Music for a Round World"
                          Final Fantasy Radio

Comment

Working...
                          X