Hey, goldsmithers.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey, goldsmithers.

I'm working on goldsmithing and im up to 28 without spending that much gil...

Anyway, how much would i need to invest to get it 70-80ish if i were to buy all the stuff?

I'm thinking about doing a couple of bcnm and if i succeed i might be the owner of about 5mil pretty soon, i wanna spend it all on GS, any clues on how far that will take me?

Originally posted by Wise Ass
    "Omg use teh search!"
    signatures are for pussies mew mew mew, here's mine

Re: Hey, goldsmithers.

okay I don't have the exact price. I'll leave the others to say something like that. but based on getting GS to 52 so far? You're gonna need about 20 mil. Screw the fact that you haven't spent that much so far. That doesn't matter. You'll be working with Gold Ingots in your 50-60s. 100K a piece on Asura. Then there's Platinum Ingots. You don't want to know about platninum ingots. So...yeah.
    My Signature. Now with 50% more processed ham product than those other leading signatures.

Which FF Character Are You?
    Originally posted by Balfree
    Why does every discussion have to be a little festivity of sorts, with purple doom rain and lunatic frogs singing the yodelay on top of mushrooms and little babies being eaten by crazy flying cows and green gas explosions on the horizon and screaming goats?

Comment

urgh the problem is people keep saying 'ur gonna spend alot, believe me, ALOOT!!!!!!11' but i'd like to get some numbers lol

bud of mine got 0-45 with about 4 mil, powerleveled it too

Comment

well 5 mil up untilt hat point sounds about right. It's about how much I've spent. But the costs rise SHARPLY at around 50. You don't understand, gold is rare and costs a lot. And a lot of recipes after 55 require either gold or HQ gems. Other recipes like Hydro Claws are a bit better but they only take you so far. Once you get far enough you'll have to deal with platinum. On Asura platinum ore is 45K each. That means one platinum ingot is around 160-180K. You'll burn through 5 million pretty quickly. Goldsmithing is the most expensive craft for a reason. And it is not easy to get past 60 by any means. When I say 20 million I honestly mean you can expect to spend around that much to get as far as you're trying to get if you just buy everything. Everything you need once you get that high is rare and can't be bought from NPC. you can try to cut costs by desynthing, but that can end up being just as bad if not worse.

Double Post Edited:
        for the record, goldsmithing is about spending large amounts of money to make money. If you can't spend a million or two per synth at some point, then you're leveling the wrong craft.
        Last edited by nanatsu; 10-15-2005, 06:47 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
        My Signature. Now with 50% more processed ham product than those other leading signatures.

Why does every discussion have to be a little festivity of sorts, with purple doom rain and lunatic frogs singing the yodelay on top of mushrooms and little babies being eaten by crazy flying cows and green gas explosions on the horizon and screaming goats?

Comment

Originally posted by nanatsu
          for the record, goldsmithing is about spending large amounts of money to make money. If you can't spend a million or two per synth at some point, then you're leveling the wrong craft.
          Holy crap! A million or two per synth that you're using to lvl????? On top of the fact that it takes multiple synths at that lvl just to get a .1 skillup???? So roughly 100 million per lvl???? I knew it was expensive, but holy crap thats ridiculous.
          I RNG 75 I WAR 37 I NIN 38 I SAM 50 I Woodworking 92+2

PSN: Caspian

Comment

no not like that >< that's only when you get really high up there. You can only afford to get a few skillup points at a time once you get really high without a lot of money so it's really slow. Right now at lvl 52 I spend about 120K per synth just making gold ingots. But I get most of it back by selling it through the AH. But I end up losing about 20K per synth. And like you said you don't get skillups for every synth. Now he's talking about pling goldsmithing which means he would be selling to NPC as much as he could. That has the potential to dump hundreds of thousands of gil down the drain at a time. Not a very smart way to level goldsmithing, since materials can cost in the hundred thousands when you start getting up there.

Comment

ah, i see, thank you
              never really thought of npc'ing as going hand in hand with pl'ing a craft, especially GS, ok.
              I RNG 75 I WAR 37 I NIN 38 I SAM 50 I Woodworking 92+2

PSN: Caspian

Comment

hmm i wasnt really planning on selling to npc, heh, that'd be crazy but yea thats what PLing means

nanatsu, at your level, have you been able to make money out of your current GS skill to support further leveling it? what i really want to know is at what level are you high enough to make some cash? i mean, around 50 you should be able to whip out some profit no?

Comment

well, there are a few recipes that you can use, but just like anything else most of your profit in gs would come from HQs, and unfortunately it doesn't really pay off until you get high enough to at least HQ gems consistently. You're talking about your 70-80s there.

But I have found it profitable to desynth moblin mail. You can get it from moblins or you can get it from mining in Oldtown Movapolos. You're gonna wanna be in the upper 50s to avoid aggro there.

The thing about Moblin pieces is that once you get to around 50-52, you have a chance of desynthing Moblin Mail and Moblin Helms into Gold Ingots. Even if you don't get gold, Moblin Helm gives you 1 brass ingot and Moblin Mail gets you 3. Not a very reliable way of making money, but it helps along with my mining. The fact that I can desynth Moblin Masks into Glass Fiber (Alchemy) and Moblin Armor into cotton thread (Clothcrafting) helps too. But you can get a lot of Moblin pieces cheaply from just mining in Oldton. So you have lots of chances to get gold ingots. Mining in Oldton also gets you a lot of silver and iron, and it's best to have Smithing leveled to about 18-20 so you can make the most of mining there. a stack of iron ingots on my server goes for 40K. You can also pick up platinum ore and gold ore there on rare occasion.

Other than that, there's not much to be made for me in terms of profit in goldsmithing. Prices on servers vary greatly so you'll have to look at the recipes and look at the prices on your server and see if there is something that works. But in my experience, Goldsmithing doesn't offer much in the way of profit until you can HQ things. Sometimes you'll break even. Most times you'll lose gil. The goldsmithing market is basically just broken by all the higher level goldsmithers and it makes it difficult to get up there. It can be done, it's just hard and long.

Oh and btw, please rate me up if you found any of this helpful at all.

Comment

wow.. ive been mining in oldton and giving the moblin stuff to a friend to desynth, thats how ive been making my gil lately ahah! brass, glass and cotton stacks are selling 20k each, its good! he HQ's alot, just sent me a gold ingot from a mail heh

problem is theres so many people mining i barely do it... ihave to do it on weekdays, i usually come home with like 10 pieces of moblin gear, gold ores and drksteel ores, i might work on smithing since i get iron ore like theres no tomorrow, 40k seems quite decent, considering i drop/npc the irons

well thanks for the help! im gonna see where these 5 mil take me

Comment

omg use teh search!

Comment

Leveling smithing can help. I actually make most of my money synthing. I'm still a low-level thief as yet. Obviously I'm dealing in smaller amounts than you'd want to be at that level, but it's something. I supported leveling synthing up to about 10 by synthing Bronze Ingots. Tedious, but decent money. After looking over Goldsmithing recipies and AH prices I've switched to Copper Ingots for now. Tried making Tin Ingots to level, but they're so worthless I'm inclined to stick to Bronze Rods as long as I can. I can't yet synth Iron Ingots, but they seem like a good thing to use once I can.

Patience helps is all I can say. I generally sell a couple stacks of Ingots at AH and use the rest of my Fire Crystals for skillups. When my stacks sell, I send much of the proceeds to a San d'Orian character to buy Fire Crystal stacks. Repeat ad infinitum. I also try to synth my own materials for skillups when possible, to cut non-crystal costs. Once I can farm Fire Elementals my costs should go down as well. Basically, I just spend as much time as I need to doing tedious low-level synths for profit before I skill up. Don't know how far I'll end up taking Smithing or Goldsmithing in the long run, but they're helpful now.
                        Kumei, pickpocket of Midgardsormr(Bastok Rank 10)
                        DRK99,DNC91,THF90
                        Alchemy 72, Smithing 51, Goldsmithing 48, Leathercraft 23, Fishing 20
                        Koren, San d'Orian Adv.(Rank 10)
                        WHM95,BLM90,SMN85,RDM82,SCH49
                        Woodworking 29,Cooking 20
                        All celestials(Trial-Size), Fenrir, Diabolos, Alexander, Odin
                        Myrna, Windurstian Merchant
                        Clothcraft 24
                        Nyamohrreh, Windurstian Adv.(Rank 6)
                        BST90,WHM56,DNC45

Comment

no , u don't use gold ingots in ur reciepes till u r lv70

lvling goldsmith is reasonable , exept few stages that are deadly make ppl quit it
                          lvl from 70 to 80 will require 30 stack of gold ingots to waste assuming u get .1 skill up from every 3 synth , which is what i got myself average
                          30 stack of gold on ragnarok on ragnarok = 30 mil so that's 3 mil per 1 lvl

Comment

when i checked the prices of platinum ingots on my server a couple weeks ago, they were 900k a stack.

yeah, goldsmithing costs a lot.

ionia of Cait Sith! 75 RDM, 75 THF
                            Plotting World Domination and doing silly emotes on a server probably not near you!
                            I live to entertain!

Comment

Going from copper to mythril is pretty cheap since it's common

Gold is a VERY big jump in price since gold ore is around 25K each and ingots are around 90-100K.

And yes, Platnium is a nightmare, I'm gonna avoid that and just make Mythril armor instead of a 50Kish(?) loss.

http://corrderio.livejournal.com/ - Rants and other crap on my mind.

Comment

Working...
                              X