Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

All about the Lu Shang's???????? Seriously?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All about the Lu Shang's???????? Seriously?

So, besides the unbreakable rod, the Lu Shang's is the best. What makes it the best? Is it really worth the investment of either 3 million gil or the time to catch 10,000 Moat Carp? Will you make your money back? Quickly? Is it worth it?

Re: All about the Lu Shang's???????? Seriously?

If you plan on taking fishing to 100, and using it as your main source of cash, yes it is worth it. It will pay for itself, if you fish alot, and when your skill get's past 60. It's also often recommended to level your woodworking to 80 so you can repair it, when it does break.

but as for quickly, no you still need to fish up alot of fish, to get 3 mil worth of fish.

Comment

Lu is really that great. It's strong enough to pull in all the biggest fish in the game and suffers line breaks less often than a composite rod, but it doesn't throw out any fish that are "too small" like the composite would, and being a wooden rod it depletes the fish's stamina faster. Basically it has all the strengths of any lesser rod but none of the weaknesses. There have even been anecdotal reports of fish having easier fight patterns with a lu vs other rods.

The ability to catch both large fish and small fish is really the most important thing. Around level 40-50 I started having a hard time finding any leveling spot where half my bites wouldn't either get thrown out or break my rod. If you do SSG for money and skill, a halcyon would risk breaking on grimmonite and line snap to bream, but a composite rod would throw out a lot of your nebimonite and some of your bream.
      lagolakshmi on Guildwork :: Lago Aletheia on Lodestone

Comment

It depends how much you want to fish. When you get high enough, you can start fishing things that sell pretty well to the NPC/Guild and just make over 100k from just doing that. Add some fish that sell on the AH for a pretty penny and you can make over 200k a day. That's not even the max obviously. Once you have Lu, everything is easier and the gil comes a lot faster when it comes to fishing.
        To be the best in this game...you must help each other become the best.

Comment

I should say though that it doesn't really become important until level 50 or so, which is plenty of time to figure out whether you like fishing enough to collect ten thousand moat carp. If you're pretty sure and want to get a leg up, here's a guide over at titanictus.com that outlines a skillup path that lets you catch moat carp at every location as you level to 50. It also has a section called “Is the Lu Shang's Fishing Rod Really Necessary?” which goes into a little more detail than we have in this thread so far.
          lagolakshmi on Guildwork :: Lago Aletheia on Lodestone

Comment

You don't need woodworking to fix it, they have a npc that will fix it in Rabao.
            Also, didn't you get money for turning in fish for the quest? I seem to remember it being a big amount once its all said and done. but I think people spend it as it comes in, so they don't realize...
            (ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ====【†】 BIBLE FIGHT !
            sigpic

Comment

Depending on which fish you catch/turn in (moat vs forest carp) you will get 100-150k.
              "All of the biggest technological inventions created by man - the airplane, the automobile, the computer - says little about his intelligence, but speaks volumes about his laziness." - Mark Kennedy

Comment

10G each x 10k fish = 100kG. Hardly a large sum compared to the time (or gil, if you choose to buy them) spent.

Comment

I think it's the portability factor that's important when fixing your Lu Shang's. Meaning if people are off on a boat, they don't need to head to Rabao to get it fixed, instead they can just fix it themselves.

Becareful, don't try to fix your rod when your on a boat and the boat's docking, you will auto lose Lu Shang's when that happens. Unless they fixed it, but I don't remember that they did. (someone correct me!)
                  Hacked on 9/9/09
                  FFXIAH - Omniblast

Comment

The time is the big investment. I can't imagine wanting to buy the rod, but if that's what you want to do, knock yourself out.

Fishing's the only craft in the game that requires zero money investment. All throughout your fishing career you end up on the plus side money-wise (unless you do strange things like intentially breaking rods for skill points, usually in conjunction with levelling Woodworking).

As for the Lu Shang's Fishing Rod itself, yes, it's really that good. After you spend the time to catch thousands upon thousands of moat carp/forest carp, you will appreciate the freedom of not having to worry (much) about breaking your rod or getting line snaps or getting the dreaded "too small" message after successfully fighting down a fish.

Icemage

Comment

This is kinda in line with the thread.

I've been toying with the thought of having one of my mules level cooking. Mostly because it'd be kinda nice to break into the food market, and to make my own Rabbit Pies, and other foods. HQ jug pets would also rock for when I level Bst.

If I want to take Cooking to 100, I've been wondering about leveling her fishing to 100 as well. I could skillup quite nicely on Moat Carp > Forest Carp while working on the rod if I remember right.

So the main question is, if I'm taking Cooking to 100, would it be a good idea to take Fishing to 100 as well?

In which case I'd probably be wanting that Lu Shang's rod.

You have the right to remain silent, anything you say can and will be misqouted and then used against you.

I don't have a big ego, it just has a large mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by Vyuru View Post
                        This is kinda in line with the thread.

I've been toying with the thought of having one of my mules level cooking. Mostly because it'd be kinda nice to break into the food market, and to make my own Rabbit Pies, and other foods. HQ jug pets would also rock for when I level Bst.

If I want to take Cooking to 100, I've been wondering about leveling her fishing to 100 as well. I could skillup quite nicely on Moat Carp > Forest Carp while working on the rod if I remember right.

So the main question is, if I'm taking Cooking to 100, would it be a good idea to take Fishing to 100 as well?

In which case I'd probably be wanting that Lu Shang's rod.
                        If you already have Fishing levelled, then Cooking is a breeze.

Levelling Fishing explicitly for the purpose of levelling Cooking when you don't already have a head start on it is an exercise in futility. Your Cooking score will reach the high 90s long before your Fishing skill will break 50, more likely than not, and at that point you're not getting much/any benefit. Cooking levels very, very fast compared to Fishing.

Icemage

Comment

Working...
                        X