Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Chocobos: Personality=Breed?

How to get the chocobo whistle:

Once your chocobo becomes an adult, the NPC will ask you to find an item that your chocobo has hidden. Take your chocobo on any walk. When you reach your destination, you will be prompted to check the ground or watch over your chocobo. If your chocobo is "completely absorbed" by its current activity, you are clear to check the ground. You will find a dirty handkerchief. Now, exit the chocobo care menu and talk to the NPC to receive your chocobo whistle. Remember to register your chocobo through the care menu. It will cost 500 gil to register your chocobo.
    I'll be your best friend, if you give me your soul.
    ~Krondorn, Dark-Blue Mage-Knight of Phoenix.

Happily married to Kirachan since June 3, 2005.

Comment

Originally posted by Krondorn View Post
      My chocobo just hit adulthood. I took some pictures in the Sanctuary of Zi'Tah. We match.
      As for those of you having problems with your chocobo (i.e. bored, sick, injured, etc.), remember that you wont see the results of your care until the next day.
      Can you give us some more info? What egg you used, stats you raised, food, care plans, anything? I want a black one too.

Comment

Originally posted by Krondorn
        My chocobo is a male born from a faintly warm egg and raised in San d'Oria.
        I do take mine for as many walks as I can
        I forgot to mention that I haven't fed my chocobo anything but gyshal greens.
        From now on, please read the whole thread, not just the last post.

Egg: Faintly warm
        Nation: San d'Oria
        Sex: Male
        Care plans (baby): Walk in town and basic care
        Personal care (baby): Walk (short) and watch over
        Food: Gyshal greens

Care during adolesense is irrelevant, as the chocobo already had black tips. However, if you really want to know, I didn't change much. Just threw in the occasional story in personal care.

Also, there is no garauntee that raising a chocobo the exact same way will produce a black chocobo. Getting colored chocobos seems to be mostly luck, as mine developed its ill-tempered personality the day after it was born.

Comment

Update: Breeding!!!

Parents:

Father:
          • Color: Black
          • Personality: Ill-tempered
          • Strength: Substandard
          • Endurance: Substandard
          • Discernment: Poor
          • Receptivity: Poor
          • Abilities: None
          • Weather: None
          Mother:
          • Color: Yellow
          • Personality: None
          • Strength: Poor
          • Endurance: Poor

Offspring:

Son:
          • Color: ?
          • Personality: Patient
          • Stenght: Poor
          Daughter:
          • Color: ?

Comments:
          I am so confused... I believe "patient" is the personality shared by blue chocobos. However, neither parent carried any trait of blue chocobos. I would think that the chicks simply developed their own personalities, except that they developed the same one a single day apart. The male developed his on day 6, and the sister developed hers on day 7.

Can anyone tell me the personality of their (or their friend's) blue chocobo?

Comment

Originally posted by Krondorn View Post
            Comments:
            [/B][/U]I am so confused... I believe "patient" is the personality shared by blue chocobos. However, neither parent carried any trait of blue chocobos. I would think that the chicks simply developed their own personalities, except that they developed the same one a single day apart. The male developed his on day 6, and the sister developed hers on day 7.
            Can anyone tell me the personality of their (or their friend's) blue chocobo?
            LOL, dude just because both my parents are dark haired doesn't mean they don't carry the gene to make an off-spring that is blonde. Likely your yellow chocobo improved that result.

Cheezy Test Result (I am nerdier than 96% of all people. Are you nerdier? Click here to find out!)

Comment

Adolescense Update:

Son:
              Daughter:
              Comments:
              It seems as though there is a very good chance of parents passing on color to their offspring. I would really like to know how good, though.

Comment

I think Tazirai may have mentioned this in the Blue Palfrey thread, but here's my take on the information SE has provided. It would seem that personality affects (or equates) to breed in the following way:

1) Destrier - Strength - Ill-Tempered
                "... characterized by their large, jet-black bodies and thick, powerful legs."
                2) Rounsey - Endurance - Patient
                "... a robust mount of somewhat unpredictable temperament that is suited for long, punishing treks."
                3) Palfrey - Discernment - Sensitive
                "With a relatively gentle demeanor, [Palfreys] are suited for those with who lack advanced riding skills." (I equate this with "good with people")
                4) Jennet - Receptivity - Enigmatic
                "... have short legs when compared to other breeds, but like the Tarutaru themselves, jennets are capable of maintaining a rapid pace."
                5) Courser - None - No Personality
                "... a larger-than-average chocobo and is the most common breed found in the Kingdom of San d'Oria... characterized by their streamlined bodies, and long, graceful legs. They were originally bred for scouting duties, but their adoption into the military was accompanied by a general acceptance of the courser as an everyday mount."

At this point, however, this is all just a theory... it still needs to be tested.
                Last edited by Bricklayer; 10-11-2006, 09:22 PM.
                Character: Bricklayer
                Server: Ramuh
                31 RDM/ 23 BLM/ 20 WHM

Comment

Originally posted by Bricklayer View Post
                  I think Tazirai may have mentioned this in the Blue Palfrey thread, but here's my take on the information SE has provided. It would seem that personality affects (or equates) to breed in the following way:
                  1) Destrier - Strength - Ill-Tempered
                  "... characterized by their large, jet-black bodies and thick, powerful legs."
                  2) Rounsey - Endurance - Patient
                  "... a robust mount of somewhat unpredictable temperament that is suited for long, punishing treks."
                  3) Palfrey - Discernment - Sensitive
                  "With a relatively gentle demeanor, [Palfreys] are suited for those with who lack advanced riding skills." (I equate this with "good with people")
                  4) Jennet - Receptivity - Enigmatic
                  "... have short legs when compared to other breeds, but like the Tarutaru themselves, jennets are capable of maintaining a rapid pace."
                  5) Courser - None - No Personality
                  "... a larger-than-average chocobo and is the most common breed found in the Kingdom of San d'Oria... characterized by their streamlined bodies, and long, graceful legs. They were originally bred for scouting duties, but their adoption into the military was accompanied by a general acceptance of the courser as an everyday mount."
                  At this point, however, this is all just a theory... it still needs to be tested.
                  Problem is post just above you has two Black chocobo's with Patient, kind of blows that theory out of the water.

Cheezy Test Result (I am nerdier than 96% of all people. Are you nerdier? Click here to find out!)

Comment

Originally posted by Macht View Post
                    Problem is post just above you has two Black chocobo's with Patient, kind of blows that theory out of the water.
                    /em learns how to read again...

Thanks for the cold shower, bro!
                    Character: Bricklayer
                    Server: Ramuh
                    31 RDM/ 23 BLM/ 20 WHM

Comment

My choco was the egg you get from doing the runaway chocobo quest. Been feeding veggie paste everyday, fed it the remedy grass when it was ill (twice so far), and when it was very receptive it was given a parasite worm (free egg, figured I'd test it out).

As of my recent report (day 13), it was said to be well suited for carrying goods. I've put it on a schedule so that the chocobo is walked around town when not sick, basic care when sick (2 days), and 3x short walk every day that it's well.

Stats are all still poor still (no big surprise) and with veggie paste and watching over occassionally, its affection is capped at parent since about day 6.

Update: Kept with the str/end building while giving it cupid worms every time it was receptive (three times total) which has the result of making it starving every update. I think it's good because if I work it like a dog and lose affection, I can turn around and feed veggie paste and what not to max out affection again while keeping str/end building. Teen age hit and it came out yellow with black tips, started feeding it veggie paste to recap affection then carrots to cap hunger, proceeded to deliver packages every day and compete/take walks.

Adulthood occurred, got the black choco I wanted: http://jtwiley.iweb.bsu.edu/choco.png
                      Now to keep up the pattern and cap out str/end as much as possible.
                      Last edited by AcidReignOfRag; 11-03-2006, 01:52 PM.

Comment

Just thought I'd post here.

Both me and my mom have purchased Chococards from ya, Krondorn and today the lil buggers hit teen stage.. Both are black and both are str/end = substandard Mine's Ill Tempered female and her's is Patient male.

Just thought you might like to know.. Already have another card for a black male who's stats are maxed out. Plan to breed the lil girl once she's old enough and has good stats.

Comment

Originally posted by AcidReignOfRag View Post
                          My choco was the egg you get from doing the runaway chocobo quest. Been feeding veggie paste everyday, fed it the remedy grass when it was ill (twice so far), and when it was very receptive it was given a parasite worm (free egg, figured I'd test it out).

As of my recent report (day 13), it was said to be well suited for carrying goods. I've put it on a schedule so that the chocobo is walked around town when not sick, basic care when sick (2 days), and 3x short walk every day that it's well.

Stats are all still poor still (no big surprise) and with veggie paste and watching over occassionally, its affection is capped at parent since about day 6.

Update: Kept with the str/end building while giving it cupid worms every time it was receptive (three times total) which has the result of making it starving every update. I think it's good because if I work it like a dog and lose affection, I can turn around and feed veggie paste and what not to max out affection again while keeping str/end building. Teen age hit and it came out yellow with black tips, started feeding it veggie paste to recap affection then carrots to cap hunger, proceeded to deliver packages every day and compete/take walks.

Adulthood occurred, got the black choco I wanted: http://jtwiley.iweb.bsu.edu/choco.png
                          Now to keep up the pattern and cap out str/end as much as possible.

I would switch to feeding straight vomp carrots rather than the pastes. Would take more pastes to fill the bird up than straight carrots and greens.
                          My second chocobo had better than avg str and end by the time she peaked. I fed her solely vomp carrots and azouph greens, medicinals as needed. 2 vomp carrots and 1 azouph green was her feeding regimen.

Hope this helps.
                          The probability of someone watching you is proportional to the stupidity of your action.

sigpic

Comment

I'm raising a first gen (yellow, ill-tempered) Chocobo on straight Azuoph and Gyashal greens (one each per day) with the occasional Gausebit or what have you for illness. She hit impressive strength and endurance some time around day 34; peak hasn't occured yet.

And more on-topic: my first bird was an "easy-going" (no temper) black choco with first-class strength and outstanding endurance, so for now I'm in the camp that thinks personality is probably more stat related than breed. He had fairly slow stat growth until adulthood, so his personality was determined by then.

On that note though - my ill-tempered bird has been on the carry package care plan since adolescence. The care plan chart would suggest it increases both strength and endurance at the same rate, while her personality implies she has an affinity for strength. She's only dropped one package though, and though her strength was originally a 'day ahead' of endurance, her endurance now bumps up a day before strength. Beginning to wonder if the dual stat care plans don't favor one over the other based on success.

Comment

I bred 2 blue chocobos. The dam had better than average Strength and Endurance and large tail/legs. (See Screenshot) I used the Jeuno Tour Plan Honeymoon Ticket in hopes of attaining the dam's physical characteristics and breeding a F chick with high receptivity. Chick was born successfully female and also born w/an enigmatic personality. This is an older screenshot. Receptivity is substandard as is Discernment now, but you can still see personality resulting from breeding.
                              Attached Files
                              RDM58/WHM46/THF24/SMN22/RNG15/BLM17/WAR15/BLU8

~~RIIAN'S CHOCOBO RANCH~~ VALEFOR SERVER
                              check: www.chocobomatchmaker.net for Info/Pics

Comment

Working...
                              X